Thai Students Found 'Addicted' To Football Gambling

webfact

Students found 'addicted' to football gambling

By THE NATION

Many Thai students are addicted to laying bets on football games, with some female students paying their debts by providing sexual favours, research findings revealed yesterday. It was also found that newspaper columnists conjecturing on the winning scores influenced the gambling habit among youngsters.

The questionnaires were completed by a sampling group of 18 students aged between 15 and 25 over June and July. It was found that most of these students had been placing bets on football matches for eight years.

Suan Sunandha Rajabhat University lecturer Thanakhom Photchanaphithak, who disclosed the findings, said many of the students had placed bets to make money to buy alcohol or luxurious goods. They admitted that staying up late to watch football matches ruined their health and some of the female respondents confessed to having sex in order to pay off their debts.

"It is the speculation by newspaper columnists that influences students' gambling habits," said Wiroj Srihirun, a lecturer with Siam University.

Meanwhile, the National Press Council of Thailand said it was difficult to control the media though the council had the right to admonish any member of the press suspected of promoting gambling. Meanwhile, an activist said the Gambling Act 1935 did not include football gambling and should be amended.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-08-18

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just asked Visa and Mastercard to spend the night with me to pay off my debts, no joy :annoyed:

it is this comment however

"It is the speculation by newspaper columnists that influences students' gambling habits,"

that pretty much sums up the intelligence levels here, this is from a professor, does he not think that people can speculate themselves, do people need a journalist to tell them who they think will win a game, can't these people decide for themselves?? I blame mark lawrenson if this is true.

Hope they don't follow Lawros tips, they would get deeper into Debt and doing more sexual favours.

:D

and another thing, isn't performing sexual favours for money just a euphemism for prostitution? Why doesnt the report just say girls are resorting to prostitution, I guess that will reflect badly :whistling:

The questionnaires were completed by a sampling group of 18 students aged between 15 and 25 over June and July. It was found that most of these students had been placing bets on football matches for eight years.

...many of the students had placed bets to make money to buy alcohol or luxurious goods. They admitted that staying up late to watch football matches ruined their health and some of the female respondents confessed to having sex in order to pay off their debts.

It took them 2 months to interview 18 people?

Why use "most", "many" and "some"? They could have used individual names with so few people.

From 18 people, how many is "some of the female respondents"? 1? 2?

Why is there a news report on what can only be described as a class assignment submitted by a student?

...many of the students had placed bets to make money to buy alcohol or luxurious goods. They admitted that staying up late to watch football matches ruined their health and some of the female respondents confessed to having sex in order to pay off their debts.

Why use "most", "many" and "some"? They could have used individual names with so few people.

Why is there a news report on what can only be described as a class assignment submitted by a student?

I doubt whether any of the students interviewed admitted performing sexual favours, they probably said they have heard of this happening with other people, which has then been reported, or maybe the question was 'have you or anyone you know performed sexual favours to remove debt'?

the survey "sampling" of just 18 individuals has zero credibility and should be viewed as such, the "results" could mean anything but one thing that surely stands out is the FACT that both newspapers and educators in Thailand are DOLTS!!!

Edited by supaprik

BS from beginning to end. I sure hope that professor didn't really say that as such an ignorant statement would reflect rather badly on the university employing him. Google gambling addiction for christ's sake, not exactly rocket science...

I'm surprised he hasn't somehow blamed " farang" football teams for the problem. Usually someone somewhere drags us into it for corrupting Thai morals.

Oh they did already in the OP although in an indirect way by saying that they stayed awake late,insinuating hereby to matches that are played in a different timezone.;)

Gambling is endemic in Thailand. Gambling on football is just one small part of it. Yeah people have all kinds of problems because of it including carved up faces, lost land, lost houses, having to run away from town etc but I guess they dont tittilate as much as sex for football debts.

the survey "sampling" of just 18 individuals has zero credibility and should be viewed as such, the "results" could mean anything but one thing that surely stands out is the FACT that both newspapers and educators in Thailand are DOLTS!!!

Agree.

A total of 18.

In professional surveying /polling etc., there is always a margin of error for several reasons, just one being that even when the questions / statements are written very carefully there will be multiple and quite diverse interpretations of what the written questions are exploring.

Plus there will usually be a few questionnaires where the person completing the documents has answered every questions with a 'yes' or answered every question with a 'no', and these should be discarded, and more.

Shame on whoever has released these 'findings'. If it's a professional polling agency then their credibility is zero and newspapers etc.should blacklist such agencies.

Every time I tried paying my debts by offering sexual favours I found myself deeper and deeper in debt :ph34r:

I hear you mate. Trying to pay my AIS bill at Telewiz by offering the cutie behind the counter a bit of " Wind, Rain and Lava " only got me a night in the clink playing " Don't drop the somtam " with a couple of street scum meth dealers.

A survey of 18 kids.... and that merits a newspaper article?

And a report by some supposed university academic based on those 18???

They gotta be joking...but unfortunately for Thailand, they're not.

Sad commentary on what passes for news here.

I think a crackdown on newspapers and journalists that post team competence type articles and even suggest which team has a better chance of winning is long overdue. If these kids, all 18 of them are gambling because the newspapers are suggesting easy money by doing what it is that people love about sports, stats and hoping their team will win, let's get right to the source. We know kids just don't know any better and are rarely disciplined for fear of embarrassing the family. Any bets this will change? Anyone? :blink:

I agree 18 students is hardly a core sampling but just enough to cast blame on someone else....usually we falangs

Thai's are addicted to gambling (premier league games in particular) and this does include women. I know of some Thai ladies who spend several nights of the week playing cards for money (and maybe the other nights supplying sexual services to pay for the card losses) and I have been to funerals whereby they have tented gambling dens tagged onto the funeral with 50 - 80 people playing cards and entertaining other forms of gambling whilst others are praying for the deceased 30 metres away (surreal)!!!

The selling of government lottery tickets is prevalent as well, at gas stations and with people selling tickets whilst walking through restaurants.

One lady won 15,000 baht one night at one of these funerals and the next night lost 40,000 - she had to take out loans from loan sharks and pays 5% interest (a month) so 60% a year!!! Is it no wonder that some Thai's get into serious debt???:blink:

Wow what an intensive study, they chose 18 students and found large percentages! What kind of rubbish is this, I could find 30 students that all provide me with sex and for free (actually that sounds like a good study) does that mean that 100% of thai students are easy and loose.

18 interviews in 2 months, hardly creditable.

Seems like the person doing the research had great difficulty finding interviewees who would answer the questions as they wanted, wonder how many were rejected.

University Academic?

Will have a great future in politics whistling.gif

Thai's are addicted to gambling (premier league games in particular) and this does include women. I know of some Thai ladies who spend several nights of the week playing cards for money (and maybe the other nights supplying sexual services to pay for the card losses) and I have been to funerals whereby they have tented gambling dens tagged onto the funeral with 50 - 80 people playing cards and entertaining other forms of gambling whilst others are praying for the deceased 30 metres away (surreal)!!!

The selling of government lottery tickets is prevalent as well, at gas stations and with people selling tickets whilst walking through restaurants.

One lady won 15,000 baht one night at one of these funerals and the next night lost 40,000 - she had to take out loans from loan sharks and pays 5% interest (a month) so 60% a year!!! Is it no wonder that some Thai's get into serious debt???:blink:

This Whole Article.............Amazing, Simply Amazing............

"It is the speculation by newspaper columnists that influences students' gambling habits," said Wiroj Srihirun, a lecturer with Siam University"

And there we have it....... blame somebody else for the students actions.

Blame somebody else for findings from a sample of 18 students. Hardly reliable premise to start with.

Gambling is endemic in Thailand. Gambling on football is just one small part of it. Yeah people have all kinds of problems because of it including carved up faces, lost land, lost houses, having to run away from town etc but I guess they dont tittilate as much as sex for football debts.

Further more the gambling operators offer "shark" type loans to pay off the gambling/betting "debts"... :whistling: wasn't the last government "going to stop" this oroffering transfer's of these "loans"!

the extra curricular activities arenot confined to thailand alone, they are pretty common in European countries too!

Edited by Samuian