Laptop

Theo007

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Many thanks, Simon. The only problem is that there are just so many outlets there and one needs to know which one to patronise. The prices seem to vary greatly.

I also intend to buy a new laptop in the next week or 2; not from Tuk.com, but a very similar type of arcade in either Batam or Jakarta.

I will buy one of the known brands, probably Lenovo or perhaps Acer, and decide what type of screen size, RAM, storage size, installed OS and software and accessories I want by looking at the company / main dealer websites. Once I have decided on the particular model I want, then I intend to visit a number of the outlets and try and find the model at the cheapest price.

I imagine that there is a risk that the machine or perhaps some of its components maybe counterfeit, but I'd prefer to have a good look at the actual machine I intend to buy and then make a decision and accept the risk.

The alternative would be buying at a main dealers in the one of the large department stores or Central Mall.

Simon

For a new laptop in Pattaya I recommend Wantana opposite fooodland, if your friend wants second hand there is a new IT shop on the soi going up the side of Big C extra (Carrfour) that apparently has some really good deals on refurb machines complete with warranty, run by farang

I suggest one with as many USB ports as possible, and if you intend to play any game,

with a good graphic card.

I bought mine at tuk com, wish i had bought one with more USB ports,

the USB splits doesn't work well.

I reckon the best place to buy a laptop in Pattaya is on the 3rd floor of Central Festival Shopping Mall. There's quite a few stores and zero pressure from sales people. In actual fact laptop prices hardly vary at all for the same brand and specs. Companies such as Banana IT do have specials on though, so you can get a slightly better price on a few select models, but the discount usually comes in the form of extra RAM.

If you must shop at Tukcom, I find the best place is IT City on the top floor. They had the best prices compared to all the shops down below, and they don't hassle you much.

If you want Sony, go to Central Festival. The manager of Sony at Tukcom has a real attitude problem if you're taking too long to decide, and if they don't have your model they will ask you for a substantial deposit to get the model in - ridiculous. He got really shitty when my wife returned 3 times to look at his computers. He bascially told us to ***k off so we went straight to Festival and bought one and got a discount for cash too.

For anyone thinking of buying a laptop to use overseas, consider that most laptops sold here come with dual Thai/English keys. Quite messy if you're a hunt 'n peck typist.

Also bear in mind that very few models come preloaded with genuine Windows. Most of them are blank and the sales people try to talk you into loading a pirate copy for 200 baht. Windows 7 Home Basic is just shy of 4000 baht. Windows 7 Ultimate Edition is about 7,500 baht. Once you've considered this extra cost you may find that the deal is not very good compared to back at home prices. All Sony laptops come preloaded with genuine Windows 7, starting from Windows 7 Starter and Home Basic in the most basic models.

If you don't have to buy it in Thailand, get it at home... I spent 22,000 baht on a computer in the U.S. which costs 54,000 baht at Tucom.

Agree but with the proviso to check out the warranty. Some models sold in US are for home market warranty only, not worldwide.

If you want something just for internet, then you just need to buy a Notebook which runs around 8,000 baht. (It is smaller than a lap top but you cannot play movies on it / no storage.) I like to buy my electronics and other items at PowerBuy...I don't care for Tuk Com because 1) the clerks are usually useless and rather comb their hair and pick their zits 2) you never know if they are going to sell you a fake 3) the place is like a junk yard 4) some of the programs you get on your computer may be pirated. True, if you know which "shop" to go to, then go for it.

If you want something just for internet, then you just need to buy a Notebook which runs around 8,000 baht. (It is smaller than a lap top but you cannot play movies on it / no storage.) I like to buy my electronics and other items at PowerBuy...I don't care for Tuk Com because 1) the clerks are usually useless and rather comb their hair and pick their zits 2) you never know if they are going to sell you a fake 3) the place is like a junk yard 4) some of the programs you get on your computer may be pirated. True, if you know which "shop" to go to, then go for it.

You will not find fake computers at Tukcom. Most of the shops are Thailand franchises eg. Banana IT, Wattana, IT City, Hardware House, Sony etc. If you are buying new there will not be pirated programs on it as there will be nothing on it. They may install pirated software on it if you request a pirated version of Windows on it, but that's your choice.

Are you joking? It's hard to buy a Netbook these days with less than 250 GB in storage and I've never seen one on which you cannot watch films. As to your Netbook price, that certainly does not include an Operating System other than Linux.

For a new laptop in Pattaya I recommend Wantana opposite fooodland,

I'd agree with this. But I think they're actually called 'Wattana Computers'!

They're on the other side of Central Road from Foodland. Quite a big shop.

They sell new laptops with legit Windows on them.

For a new laptop in Pattaya I recommend Wantana opposite fooodland,

I'd agree with this. But I think they're actually called 'Wattana Computers'!

They're on the other side of Central Road from Foodland. Quite a big shop.

They sell new laptops with legit Windows on them.

This shop (Wattana) opposite Foodland is not much of a shop really. Any shop will sell you a laptop with legit Windows but you have to pay for it. Wattana along with other shops will have specials with Windows 7 pre-installed which will be included in the price, but who wants to shop for computers on that basis as you will have very few models to choose from.

Are you joking? It's hard to buy a Netbook these days with less than 250 GB in storage and I've never seen one on which you cannot watch films. As to your Netbook price, that certainly does not include an Operating System other than Linux.

Talking about "Netbooks", Sony has a decent one for 16,900 and it comes with legit Windows 7 Starter. I think Toenail may have been referring to the absence of DVD/CD players on Netbooks.

If you want something just for internet, then you just need to buy a Notebook which runs around 8,000 baht. (It is smaller than a lap top but you cannot play movies on it / no storage.)

Bullshit, My Netbook (note I said Netbook not Notebook that your confusing) will happily play movies on it, from its internal 320gb HDD.

If you really meant Notebook please tell me where I can buy them for 8,000b.

Edited by Spoonman

I suggest one with as many USB ports as possible, and if you intend to play any game,

with a good graphic card.

I bought mine at tuk com, wish i had bought one with more USB ports,

the USB splits doesn't work well.

It's just because the laptop doesn't have enough power.

Buy a USB hub with a "wall wart" 12v power supply. Problem solved. The hub needs extra power which the notebook can not provide.

If you must buy one in Thailand, take the bus or hop a taxi to Fortune Mall in Bangkok. You will ave a HUGE selection to choose from and better prices. Pattaya's selection is really limited, and they all get them from Bangkok anyway.

If you must buy one in Thailand, take the bus or hop a taxi to Fortune Mall in Bangkok. You will ave a HUGE selection to choose from and better prices. Pattaya's selection is really limited, and they all get them from Bangkok anyway.

There is no price difference at all. The franchise stores (Wattana, IT City, Banana IT, Hardware House, Sony etc) have all the retail prices marked in their monthly publications and also posted on their internet sites.The only difference is that some of the specials are not always available in Pattaya, but this only relates to a few select models. I struck this one time at Wattana when enquiring about a specific laptop advertised in their monthly magazine - the model advertised was only available in Bangkok.

It's a waste of time going to Bangkok, and if you live here it's better to be near the store where you purchased it for warranty issues.

Edited by tropo

This shop (Wattana) opposite Foodland is not much of a shop really.

What on earth is that supposed to mean? Are you sure you're talking about the same shop? It's a sizable IT/computer shop.

Any shop will sell you a laptop with legit Windows but you have to pay for it.

You have to pay for it? Hold the front page everybody, that's truly shocking!

Wattana along with other shops will have specials with Windows 7 pre-installed which will be included in the price, but who wants to shop for computers on that basis as you will have very few models to choose from.

Me. They have enough choice. And I reckon they're a reputable supplier. That's important.

What on earth is that supposed to mean? Are you sure you're talking about the same shop? It's a sizable IT/computer shop.

It's supposed to mean I think that is a terrible, disorganized and messy shop with limited choices and poor customer service. I've never been enticed to buy anything from there.

You have to pay for it? Hold the front page everybody, that's truly shocking!

Yes, most laptops are priced without an operating system, so to get a true perspective of the real price one must add 4000 to 7,500 baht onto the purchase price. Most people here don't pay for a genuine operating system, but they are tricking customers into thinking the deal is better than it really is. They are relying on the fact that in Thailand most people can get away with using a pirate copy of Windows.

Me. They have enough choice. And I reckon they're a reputable supplier. That's important.

You're entitled to your opinion.

Talking about "Netbooks", Sony has a decent one for 16,900 and it comes with legit Windows 7 Starter. I think Toenail may have been referring to the absence of DVD/CD players on Netbooks.

That is very expensive for a Netbook and in no way justified because of the name.

Most of these computers are made by OEM manufacturers, so you really are paying for the name.

Picked up this Toshiba Satellite T130-13Q for under 10k baht this weekend in the UK.

That is very expensive for a Netbook and in no way justified because of the name.

Most of these computers are made by OEM manufacturers, so you really are paying for the name.

Picked up this Toshiba Satellite T130-13Q for under 10k baht this weekend in the UK.

Here we go with the "paying for the name" nonsense. I've owned quite a few laptops of different brands and I feel that Sony is worth paying extra for.

Having said that, we're not in England and the price of computers over there is irrelevant to someone who lives in Thailand. I'm certainly not going to fly to England to save a few thousand baht on a computer. I'm not interested in going there for any reason at all.

I got the terminology wrong. The Sony I mentioned is a Y-Series ultra-thin notebook with an 11.6 in screen so it's not really considered a "Netbook". This same model sells for about 21,100 THB (equivalent) in the UK. The only differences in specs I see are that the UK model comes loaded with Windows 7 Home Premium Edition instead of Windows 7 Starter Edition in Thailand and it comes standard with twice the RAM (4GB instead of 2GB in Thailand). Considering the differences, the price is very similar to the price in England.

I stress this point. Before rubbishing Sony out of hand, consider that you're always going to get a genuine loaded operating system and lots of other diagnostic software AND a worldwide warranty. They are actually quite good value when you take everything into consideration. The quality of finish is definitely superior to most other brands.

Here we go with the "paying for the name" nonsense. I've owned quite a few laptops of different brands and I feel that Sony is worth paying extra for.

Having said that, we're not in England and the price of computers over there is irrelevant to someone who lives in Thailand. I'm certainly not going to fly to England to save a few thousand baht on a computer. I'm not interested in going there for any reason at all.

I got the terminology wrong. The Sony I mentioned is a Y-Series ultra-thin notebook with an 11.6 in screen so it's not really considered a "Netbook". This same model sells for about 21,100 THB (equivalent) in the UK. The only differences in specs I see are that the UK model comes loaded with Windows 7 Home Premium Edition instead of Windows 7 Starter Edition in Thailand and it comes standard with twice the RAM (4GB instead of 2GB in Thailand). Considering the differences, the price is very similar to the price in England.

I stress this point. Before rubbishing Sony out of hand, consider that you're always going to get a genuine loaded operating system and lots of other diagnostic software AND a worldwide warranty. They are actually quite good value when you take everything into consideration. The quality of finish is definitely superior to most other brands.

Whilst you might consider my statement, 'nonsense'. I consider it ironic that someone with relatively little knowledge of the industry has the gall to make such a statement.

In the UK, we get a genuine 'loaded' operating system and the useless 'diagnostic software' for people who have no idea what they are doing and don't mind their computer experience being impaired by the copious amount of crap that Sony installs with their computers. Sony aren't any more reliable than some of the less expensive brands and they certainly don't perform any better.

You are paying for the name.

The machine about which you write, the Sony VPCYB15AG is just over priced for what it offers. It comes with the cheaper 3 Cell battery. As to your Worldwide Warranty... sure if you pay for it.

17nov09compach0qw83.jpg

eb94c8.jpg

Read more

Pay extra for a Sony if it makes you feel better.

Whilst you might consider my statement, 'nonsense'. I consider it ironic that someone with relatively little knowledge of the industry has the gall to make such a statement.

In the UK, we get a genuine 'loaded' operating system and the useless 'diagnostic software' for people who have no idea what they are doing and don't mind their computer experience being impaired by the copious amount of crap that Sony installs with their computers. Sony aren't any more reliable than some of the less expensive brands and they certainly don't perform any better.

You are paying for the name.

The machine about which you write, the Sony VPCYB15AG is just over priced for what it offers. It comes with the cheaper 3 Cell battery. As to your Worldwide Warranty... sure if you pay for it.

Pay extra for a Sony if it makes you feel better.

Why would you consider yourself and expert on the subject just because you have the ability to search for and paste irrelevant data from the Internet - bravo!

You don't pay for the worldwide warranty here in Thailand. It's included in the purchase price.

The diagnostic software and genuine operating system is very useful for people with little knowledge of computers. I purchased the computer for a friend (girl) who knows absolutely nothing about computers. Coincidentally the final choice for her was between a Toshiba and a Sony.

One aspect you've chosen to ignore is the appearance and finish of a unit. If you were an expert on the industry as you claim, you would not discount the importance of appearance to female buyers. Acers, HPs, Dells, Lenovos etc are not good looking machines compared to Sony. Toshiba is probably the closest competitor to Sony in that department, other than Apple.

As I've said before very few models sold here come loaded with operating systems. Your only option is to buy one or get them to put a pirated version on the computer. That either adds at least 4000 onto the purchase price, or if not, it could become problematic for people using non-genuine Windows.

If you add the price of Windows onto the cheaper brand models, you end up with a very similar price to Sony.

Edited by tropo

As I've said before very few models sold here come loaded with operating systems. Your only option is to buy one or get them to put a pirated version on the computer. That either adds at least 4000 onto the purchase price, or if not, it could become problematic for people using non-genuine Windows.

I was looking at the Dell Vostro 3450 a few days back and it was the same price with either win 7 home or Ubuntu, checking the Dell website they don't offer the machine with Ubuntu so I wonder who puts the Ubuntu on it and why it is priced the same ?

I was looking at the Dell Vostro 3450 a few days back and it was the same price with either win 7 home or Ubuntu, checking the Dell website they don't offer the machine with Ubuntu so I wonder who puts the Ubuntu on it and why it is priced the same ?

If the price is the same with or without Windows 7 Home, then perhaps you are not getting a licensed copy of Windows. Most shops like to charge about 200 baht to put Windows on, but some will do it for free. Perhaps they're offering Ubuntu for the same price just to have a go at you, because if they took off a licensed copy of Windows they should reduce the price by at least 3000 baht. The best price I've seen on Windows 7 Home Basic is very close to 4000 baht.Someone has to pay for a genuine Windows license and I'm sure it won't be them.

Edited by tropo