Engagement Ring

gbt71fa

I am proposing to my girlfriend in January and I want to get her an engagement ring. I wiant to get her a better ring than the one that I gave my ex-wife. I was thinking arount $2000 (U.S.) I guess around 80,000 Baht. I don't know if that is considered too much, too little, whatever. I was going to buy it in the U.A.E. when I am there for a few days but she say she want to help me pick it out. Is she going to freak out if I get a ring that expensive for her? She gets mad when I try to tip somebody more than 20 Baht. Also, how good is Thailand gold? Any help would be appreciated

You didn't state your preference but to many girls "engagement ring" means diamond ring. First you should be aware that diamonds, no matter where you buy them, are a rip-off, and can be especially so in Thailand. If you can keep it a secret then I suggest you buy a used one. Look in the classifieds, or maybe ebay. Pawn shops & jewelry shops will pay about 20 cents on the dollar compared to the retail price so you should be able to get one that had a retail price of around US$8000 -- a pretty nice ring.

Never tell your fiance about this.

The diamond industry is more or less a monopoly that was created by international thugs who bribed, swindeled, and murdered. They financed rebels so they could arm themselves and overthrow gov't's in bloody revolutions. Buying a diamond is a symbol of supporting this type of mafiosic behavior. And to add insult to injury....diamonds aren't really rare at all and the supply is artificially controlled to keep prices high.

Their motto is "Diamonds are forever"

My motto is "Diamonds are for suckers"

The diamond industry is more or less a monopoly that was created by international thugs who bribed, swindeled, and murdered.  They financed rebels so they could arm themselves and overthrow gov't's in bloody revolutions.  Buying a diamond is a symbol of supporting this type of mafiosic behavior.  And to add insult to injury....diamonds aren't really rare at all and the supply is artificially controlled to keep prices high.

Do you mean to say that Angloamerican Company control Diamonds. OMG.Shock horror! :o

:o

The DeBeers cartel is Dutch based now no? I can't understand diamonds either. There is nothing unique or rare about a $2k stone. If anything quality untreated rubies are harder to find nowadays. Untreated sapphires too. Jade too. Geez anything but diamonds.

Is that right about the carat of gold here? I've got to buy our rings either tomorrow or Weds.

18k would be better?

Yes. Pure gold (24k) is very soft. 18k gold is 18 parts gold alloyed with 6parts of other metals to harden it up. Since alot of rings sold in north america are 14k, giving her 18 will make you look like a big spender.

Good luck :o

cv

All the posters who stated that Thai gold is soft are all correct. In fact it is too soft for an expensive diamond ring.

If you do buy a precious stone ring in Thailand, you are well advised to have the setting checked out, and perhaps reinforced, back in Farangland, otherwise the claws could open up and your stone/s will fall out andl lie on the footpath glistening in the sun, until some lucky person finds them.

The majority of "new" diamond rings contain second hand stones anyway. The gold has probably been melted down from old rings too so the only thing that is new about buying an expensive ring, is the design and the box it comes in.

The price quoted by most Thai jewellers for diamond rings is a lot cheaper than you would get in Farangland with the exception of second hand dealers, or jewellery bought at auction.

If you do intend to buy in Thailand, you should do some research on diamond grading (the three C's) and price diamonds back in Farangland first, so that you can recognize a bargain or a rip off. Take with you a strong jewellers magnifying glass in order to better inspect the stone.

I am proposing to my girlfriend in January and I want to get her an engagement ring.  I wiant to get her a better ring than the one that I gave my ex-wife.  I was thinking arount $2000 (U.S.) I guess around 80,000 Baht.  I don't know if that is considered too much, too little, whatever.  I was going to buy it in the U.A.E. when I am there for a few days but she say she want to help me pick it out.  Is she going to freak out if I get a ring that expensive for her?  She gets mad when I try to tip somebody more than 20 Baht.  Also, how good is Thailand gold?  Any help would be appreciated

I would wait. No point in getting her somethging that YOU like. Let her pic. BTW i hate Thai gold. How about Platinum or white gold. Thats what i got my wife. Also set a limit on what you want to spend. I only spent about 30K baht as that was my limit. Its a beautiful ring with 16 diamonds. Let her choose. That way she can have no come back. Just my opinion . Of course

If you give her a $2000 engagement ring she'll probably throw it at you. Ought to be able to buy a decent stone around one carat for $8000-$10000 USD.

If the size of the stone is what gets her to marry you, the size of something else is surely lacking. :o

cv

Depending on the setting 18ct gold may be too soft to safely set an expensive stone. If the diamond is to be set in a tiffany setting then the prongs should be made of 14ct gold with the band made of 18ct, no? I'd discuss this with the jeweler.

8k to 10k for a one carat diamond and it's still pretty common. *sigh* Man what a top quality ruby she could sport instead. Or a solid used car! :o

Recently my friend popped the question and he brought her the most beautiful ring I ever saw, I asked him about it and it was from an antique shop and had lots of history about it which I thought was very romantic and he didn't break the bank.

His girlfriend loved it and was also told the story about the ring which made her appriciate it even more than a newly brought one.

It's the thought that matters :o

Edited by Ice Maiden

I am proposing to my girlfriend in January and I want to get her an engagement ring.  I wiant to get her a better ring than the one that I gave my ex-wife.  I was thinking arount $2000 (U.S.) I guess around 80,000 Baht.  I don't know if that is considered too much, too little, whatever.  I was going to buy it in the U.A.E. when I am there for a few days but she say she want to help me pick it out.  Is she going to freak out if I get a ring that expensive for her?  She gets mad when I try to tip somebody more than 20 Baht.  Also, how good is Thailand gold?  Any help would be appreciated

I would wait. No point in getting her somethging that YOU like. Let her pic. BTW i hate Thai gold. How about Platinum or white gold. Thats what i got my wife. Also set a limit on what you want to spend. I only spent about 30K baht as that was my limit. Its a beautiful ring with 16 diamonds. Let her choose. That way she can have no come back. Just my opinion . Of course

White Gold? I never thought of that but that might be a good idea. How do Thais view white gold? I received White Gold for my officer's rank when I was first commissioned as Army Officer some years back.

All the posters who stated that Thai gold is soft are all correct. In fact it is too soft for an expensive diamond ring.

If you do buy a precious stone ring in Thailand, you are well advised to have the setting checked out, and perhaps reinforced, back in Farangland, otherwise the claws could open up and your stone/s will fall out andl lie on the footpath glistening in the sun, until some lucky person finds them.

The majority of "new" diamond rings contain second hand stones anyway. The gold has probably been melted down from old rings too so the only thing that is new about buying an expensive ring, is the design and the box it comes in.

The price quoted by most Thai jewellers for diamond rings is a lot cheaper than you would get in Farangland with the exception of second hand dealers, or jewellery bought at auction. 

If you do intend to buy in Thailand, you should do some research on diamond grading (the three C's) and price diamonds back in Farangland first, so that you can recognize a bargain or a rip off. Take with you a strong jewellers magnifying glass in order to better inspect the stone.

I will look that info up on internet and take it with me to jewler. Thank you big time from the Great Litter Box.

you see, this is good advice unlike others who need to be "Penguin Slapped".

The DeBeers cartel is Dutch based now no?  I can't understand diamonds either.  There is nothing unique or rare about a $2k stone. If anything quality untreated rubies are harder to find nowadays.  Untreated sapphires too. Jade too.  Geez anything but diamonds.

de Beers maybe Dutch based, but they are 45% owned by Angloamerican and if memory seves me correctly..the Management team is South African from Angloamerican.......

I will look that info up on internet and take it with me to jewler. Thank you big time from the Great Litter Box.

Actually, it's the 5 C's of diamonds as described at this web site. They even include a pricing table but that's only for reference. You can surely do better if you shop around.

How do Thais view white gold?
Thais don't like white gold because it makes their skin look black(er). Same goes for platinum which is also more expensive but also harder to sell/pawn. I'm surprised (black) Onyx jewelry isn't more popular.

The diamond industry is more or less a monopoly that was created by international thugs who bribed, swindeled, and murdered.  They financed rebels so they could arm themselves and overthrow gov't's in bloody revolutions.  Buying a diamond is a symbol of supporting this type of mafiosic behavior.  And to add insult to injury....diamonds aren't really rare at all and the supply is artificially controlled to keep prices high.

True, but if millions of women all around the world cared about that... there wouldn't be a diamond industry at all now would there? And when it comes down to it, (most) women do buy into the marketing and would prefer a ring on engagment date to the 'DeBeers story' documentary.

How do Thais view white gold?
Thais don't like white gold because it makes their skin look black(er).

Well some Thai women do. :o

My wife was thrilled with the white gold engagement ring I gave her. You often see women in Bangkok wearing white gold or silver rings.

I had my wife's engagement ring specially made for her, my design, my pick of stone (white gold, 1.2 carat VVS marquise). She loved it. If you have the time, the contacts in the jewellery business and are willing to pay a bit more, you will get more for your money. Cut out the middle-man, and you can save 30-40% - easily.

If you give her a $2000 engagement ring she'll probably throw it at you. Ought to be able to buy a decent stone around one carat for $8000-$10000 USD.

Oh please!!! That's ridiculous. Are we talking about marrying a Princess? A cabinet minister's daughter? A high ranking general's first born daughter??? $8-10,000 USD for an engagement ring???? What are you thinking?????

Oh please!!! That's ridiculous. Are we talking about marrying a Princess? A cabinet minister's daughter? A high ranking general's first born daughter??? $8-10,000 USD for an engagement ring???? What are you thinking?????

He11, if he can afford it, why not? We are not all English teachers, you know..... :o

Edited by WhiteShiva