The Truth About Interpol Warrant For Thaksin

webfact

The Truth About Interpol Warrant for Thaksin

Now the truth that had been kept secret during the two and a half years when the Democrat-led government was in power has finally come to light when new Foreign Minister Surapong Towijakchaikul revealed that ousted former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra was never on the wanted list of International Police, or Interpol, from the start.

The revelation came after the Japanese government spokesman confirmed that Japan has granted an entry visa to the former Thai premier upon request from the Thai government. Thaksin is scheduled to visit tsunami-hit areas in Miyagi Prefecture for one week from August 22 to 28.

It is unbelievable that the Intepol warrant for Thaksin that had been trumpeted about by the Democrat-led government has turned out to be just a hoax.

Moreover, the Department of Special Investigation, or DSI, jumped on the bandwagon by calling a meeting of police and the Office of Attorney-General’s International Affairs Division to find a way to prosecute the ex-premier. And it all becomes clear now that all that fuss was just like a farcical performance that has not the slightest grain of truth.

On Monday, Royal Thai Police Spokesman Police Major General Prawut Thawornsiri clarified that the police foreign affairs division did make a request to the Interpol head office in France to issue an arrest warrant for Thaksin two years ago. But, the Interpol after all did not issue the said warrant, explaining that Thaksin’s case did not meet the requirements for the warrant.

said since then, the Royal Thai Police has never submitted another request and there was no revocation of an arrest warrant for Thaksin as reported because the warrant never existed.

Why the Democrat-led government did not speak the truth from the get go but lied to everyone that that the Interpol was still on his tail for over two years. Now that the truth has surfaced, it also reveals the true nature of the previous government, the police, the public prosecutor and the DSI.

Recently, when asked whether his agency will seek an extradition of Thaksin from Japan since his trip plans and whereabouts are known, he said that Director-General of the Office of Attorney-General’s International Affairs Division Sirisak Tiyaphan said it has to receive an official notice from the Foreign Ministry first. He added the Office of Attorney-General needs to know an exact location in order to prepare an extradition request and it cannot use news reports as a reference.

How the public prosecutor can be so overindulged? Had it better not wait until a wrongdoer decides to turn himself in at its office and says “please, please capture me”. Or it wants to wait until the suspect is dead or the statute of limitations for the case is expired.

I don’t want to criticize anymore but cannot help feeling depressed after seeing the uncalled for behaviors of politicians, government officials and the public prosecutor. How can we, Thai people, rely on the Thai judicial system. “Poor Thailand” is all I can say.

Taken from ‘Mai Het Prathet Thai’ column, Thai Rath, Page 3, August 18, 2011

Translated and rewritten by Wacharapol Isaranont

Please note that the views expressed in our "Analysis" segment are translated from local newspaper articles and do not reflect the views of the Thai-ASEAN News Network.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2011-08-18

footer_n.gif

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

AS far as i was aware. They sent the request IN Thai and Interpol requested it in English which has taken over 2 years to do.... It's very bothersome translating Thai legal jargon into English legal jargon don't you know B)

Think there is a lot of BS being spoken.....

I certainly remember an article were a Major General ? in the Thai police, stated Interpol has said they wouldnt invoke the arrest warrant, then a few days later a spokeman for interpol in Lyon stated catagorically that that no request had ever been received from the Thai police...

So if interpol spokeman said they never received a request, and Thai Police say Interpol had declined the warrant....somebody is obviously telling porkies...no seeing as Interpol had nothing to gain, this only leaves our esteemed Maj-Gen......:rolleyes:

Monty Python should re-group, there would years of material for them to working on coming out of Thailand at moment.....suggested sketches they could work on:

1. The mute prime minster sketch

2. Re-hash of the ministry of silly walks sketch....ie the Ministry of Culture....(the great boobie fiasco, in conjunction with the illegal tattoo cover up)

3. The jet ski scam sketch

4. The fugitive brother sketch

This is hilarious. And shows the last Democrat government in its true light. It is time now to grant Thaksin the amnesty that everyone knows is on the way, so that the country can move on to more pressing matters...

Why is it time now? What has happened to change his conviction?

This is hilarious. And shows the last Democrat government in its true light. It is time now to grant Thaksin the amnesty that everyone knows is on the way, so that the country can move on to more pressing matters...

IF he had stayed in the 1st place and took the punishment he would have been out by now... Also it is possible that IF he had stayed and fought the case a compromise may have been sought. But he didn't stay. he didn't appeal the case and he caused the extremes that we have seen here in Thailand.

I let me just point out i for one think that in his early years in power he did many good things for the country BUT when he got almost total control of Parliament it went to his head.

The Temasek / Ais being the biggest one that we know of.

Also was it not Suthep who was in charge of bringing Thaksin back... Now there is an arse B)

Edited by thaicbr

"more pressing matters"? As in ironing out his prison clothes?

Actually no, you're right. Time to give him the amnesty that everyone knows the dear man deserves. Get him back here quick and doing some good for the fami....country.This messing around and pretending is silly. Better let him back and let the fertilizer hit the ventilator sooner than later.

Dr Thaksin's criminal charges was politicaly motivated from the begining.

There was NEVER any truth about his supposed wrong doings.

Just watch the hero's welcome he will get when he gets home soon.

I can just hear him now when he's back in his office after being briefed about all the expat Anti-thaksin rhetouric over the past couple of years...."Is that right! OK double the retirment/long term resident visa requirements". :lol:

Like the retrospective law changes so they could find something to charge Thaksin with for starters.

Compared to the dealings of the outgoing Dems (publicly stated by one of the outgoing Ministers) Thaksin was lily white.

now you have gone and spoiled it by mentioning the retrospective law changes, the Thaksin haters were hoping nobody mentioned that :D

All i can say about the warrant it shows how many lies the dems were telling, if people think this is a shit storm wait until the truth comes out about last year, it is starting to filter out already

Why is this a surprise?

You want a real surprise? if you thought there had been a warrant and that the Abhisit government was taken seriously on this matter, wait until you find out who had been in communication with the former PM.

It's got to come out sooner or later. C'mnon Nation. What are you waiting for ? laugh.gif

The Thaksin bashers will be apoplectic.

like killing anyone suspected of doing drugs, killing innocent people in the south and what about a bit of tax free embezzlement.

What about giving your family a few billion each........................yes all pressing matters

Like the retrospective law changes so they could find something to charge Thaksin with for starters.

What retrospective law changes?

Compared to the dealings of the outgoing Dems (publicly stated by one of the outgoing Ministers) Thaksin was lily white.

What dealings?

More to the point, This is what the Thai population get to select from at the polls on a irregular basis. The law of averages, indicate there has to be some honest, forthright political people out there. I have little doubt that if the entire group scheduled sh.t fights over things they have been involved in, known about, did not question, etc, few if any, would exit smelling of the rose water they dabbed on to cover their odor from the last time.

cheesy.gif

No of course there weren't. And pla kem has a really nice smell.

Just watch the hero's welcome he will get when he gets home soon.

OK, i'll watch. Give us a special wave so we know it's you.

What exactly did the Democrat government claim about Interpol anyway back when they were in power anyway? Anybody got any links?

I recall them saying the details had been sent off to Interpol, but citing problems as to whether Interpol had the authority to get involved with such cases.

Am sure I'm about to be corrected with articles released at the time in 3.. 2..

That tripling of personal wealth while in power, all an entirely legit operation from an honest Thai ex-cop.

"The court verdict said TOT had lost THB70 billion in revenue when AIS was allowed to reduce the share of pre-paid turnover it paid TOT from 25% to 20% by altering its build-transfer-operate (BTO) concession with the telco. TOT and fellow state-owned telco CAT were also deprived of concession fees totalling THB60 billion when a telecom excise tax was introduced to replace the fees. Meanwhile, the Transport Ministry's contract with Thaicom (formerly Shin Satellite) was amended several times to the firm's benefit, costing the state THB20 billion, the ruling said".

http://www.voipproviderslist.com/world-voip-news/ais-examined-after-thaksin-asset-seizure.html

I see, at the time this was going on it was perfectly legal to steal from the Thai people. It was only made illegal retroactively. :crazy:

Honestly, the lengths some people will go to to try and defend a criminal borders on the insane. Can't wait to get their hands back on the stolen crumbs and carry on ripping off the Thai people.

What exactly did the Democrat government claim about Interpol anyway back when they were in power anyway? Anybody got any links?

I recall them saying the details had been sent off to Interpol, but citing problems as to whether Interpol had the authority to get involved with such cases.

Am sure I'm about to be corrected with articles released at the time in 3.. 2..

Not sure what the Dem's claimed, but

"Office of the Attorney Spokesperson Tanapit Moonpruek commented on the recent withdrawal of the arrest warrant for former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra by the International Criminal Police Organization, or Interpol, the organization facilitating international police cooperation and of which Thailand is also member, saying that they have the right take such action. (2011-08-15)"

and

"Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra said she has not sought coordination with the Interpol over the withdrawal of the arrest warrant against her brother Thaksin Shinawatra. (2011-08-15)"

to (mis)quote Marcellus in the play Hamlet by William Shakespeare:

"Something is rotten in the state of Thailand"

Edited by rubl

Taken from ‘Mai Het Prathet Thai’ column, Thai Rath, Page 3, August 18, 2011

Guess which newspaper that was recently revealed to have had their reporters bribed/paid for favorable articles and to only have PT/Thaksin-favorable headlines on the front-page?

Because interpol didn't issue an arrest warrant or whatever, therefore the paymaster should be given amnesty.

Please share your logic for this.

Edited by scorecard

I don't know why anyone ever believed there was an interpol warrant for him? Of course, I guess it would be easier to spin to the people that interpol were completely incompetent as opposed to Kasit and the Thai government of the day. I would dearly love for someone to invite Mr. Kasit for an armchair interview about this issue. He ran all over the place lobbying for countries to help him out to make Thaksin's life difficult, and very few listened.

Now that the Dems have gone, I expect quite a lot of contrition from the various countries that did ban him, but then if they had to deal with the government of the day, it isn't as though they couldn't appear to help the Dems out a little bit. What a complete farce.....

Besides all the above, there is a lot of confusion and misunderstandings about what Interpol is. An Interpol "warrant" isn't really a warrant at all. In fact Interpol doesn't even call them warrants, they call them "red notices". It's up to the laws and police of each individual country to decide whether or not to apply any legal value to a "red notice" in order for it to serve as a basis for an arrest. Interpol agents have no powers to arrest anyone, anywhere. They have no jail, no courts. They are primarily an information passing entity. Largely toothless similar to the UN.

From their own website:

Interpol Constitution:

Article 2

Its aims are:

(1) To ensure and promote the widest possible mutual assistance between all criminal police authorities within the limits of the laws existing in the different countries and in the spirit of the 'Universal Declaration of Human Rights';

(2) To establish and develop all institutions likely to contribute effectively to the prevention and suppression of ordinary law crimes.

Their constitution also strictly prohibits them from undertaking any intervention or activities of a political nature, which I recall reading some time ago was one of the problems with getting Interpol involved.

More from wiki:

Methodology

I­nterpol differs from most law-enforcement agencies—agents do not make arrests themselves, and there is no single Interpol jail where criminals are taken. The agency functions as an administrative liaison between the law-enforcement agencies of the member countries, providing communications and database assistance. This is vital when fighting international crime because language, cultural and bureaucratic differences can make it difficult for officers of different nations to work together. For example, if ICE and FBI special agents track a terrorist to Italy, they may not know whom to contact in the Polizia di Stato, if the Carabinieri have jurisdiction over some aspect of the case, or who in the Italian government needs to be notified of the ICE/FBI's involvement. ICE and FBI can contact the Interpol National Central Bureau in Italy, which will act as a liaison between the United States and Italian law-enforcement agencies.

Edited by ScubaBuddha

I don't know why anyone ever believed there was an interpol warrant for him? Of course, I guess it would be easier to spin to the people that interpol were completely incompetent as opposed to Kasit and the Thai government of the day. I would dearly love for someone to invite Mr. Kasit for an armchair interview about this issue. He ran all over the place lobbying for countries to help him out to make Thaksin's life difficult, and very few listened.

Now that the Dems have gone, I expect quite a lot of contrition from the various countries that did ban him, but then if they had to deal with the government of the day, it isn't as though they couldn't appear to help the Dems out a little bit. What a complete farce.....

Having searched a bit, I cannot find a single webpage which clearly states 'Thai government said on request Interpol issued a warrant against k. Thaksin'. I can find many pages saying 'we will contact Interpol', 'we want Interpol to arrest', 'we prepare to approach'. The Thai criminal court issued an arrest warrant on terrorism charges that's all.

Either my search capabilities are too limited, or the k. Abhisit led government never said straight out 'Interpol issued a warrant'

Anyone who can search better than me and find a link ?

Edited by rubl

Why is this a surprise?

You want a real surprise? if you thought there had been a warrant and that the Abhisit government was taken seriously on this matter, wait until you find out who had been in communication with the former PM.

It's got to come out sooner or later. C'mnon Nation. What are you waiting for ? laugh.gif

The Thaksin bashers will be apoplectic.

Why the suspense if you are in the know let all of the peons in on the bigggggg secret.