Fire Safety Checks Ordered After Bangkok Condo Blaze

webfact

As soon as I noticed it I opened my window and whistled and yelled across to the various people I saw come and go form their balcony to get out.

Well done, even if ignored. Did you also call the fire brigade?

A mate's cottage in the UK burned to the ground despite numerous witnesses to the fire starting, all assumed someone else had called the brigade :(

I live in that condo and the fire alarm (acording to my maid) did not went on for sure, or not worked as long as she was in my unit.

luckily the fire brigade station is in soi22...if not with the allday traffic i that soi the situation could have been much worst...and also more luckily this happened in the afternoon...when most of the people are out and the one inside are awake...i am guessing if it was happening in he night???

Try getting out of this building during a fire... :lock:

This is no condo, but a government housing unit in the Middle of Chiang Rai. I am attaching a photo so that some people might take notice and DO something about it before something terrible happens. In case you have not noticed, the fire exit is padlocked from the outside.

Well it says don't enter - :whistling: Must be monkeys inside. :lol: ya - that looks like a problem in the event you need the stairs.

That's some very key info that any serious journalist should have obtained and included in the article to immediately raise a red flag about the "official report".

A quick phone call to any company with fire experts should have quickly got a comment about 65 degrees being the right temp and not a valid explanation.

Excellent point!

This is no condo, but a government housing unit in the Middle of Chiang Rai. I am attaching a photo so that some people might take notice and DO something about it before something terrible happens. In case you have not noticed, the fire exit is padlocked from the outside.

I was a fire captain in the U.S. for 14 years and also was a fire prevention officer where we wrote building and fire codes. The 65 degree sprinkler heads is correct for residential installations. This temperature is intended to be 30 degrees above ambient temperature and provide a buffer to prevent any false actuations (so no umbrellas needed). That being said, this fire would have easily opened the sprinkler heads and helped contain the fire. More than likely there was no water in the system and the officials weren't doing their jobs/don't know how to do their jobs (no experience, background, eduction in fire prevention)...not to mention taking money under the table are now trying to cover their tracks/save face just like the hotel deaths in Chang Mai. Amazing Thailand.

Yeh it always helps the water pressure, when the vavles on the stand pipes are open. Or they just rely on city water pressure and no booster pumps, that volume of water would never get that high anyway even if the valves are open.

Edited by dcutman

Fire detection sensors rated for 65 C (150F), are industry standard. I can assure you anything burning inside or outside the condo was hotter than 65C. The sensors either we not connected properly, the system bypassed or the fire detection system was not in service. I wonder what kind of checks and tests are performed on the building? What frequency? Where is the paperwork stating the system was properly installed and tested(I know paperwork can be fudged)? Stating 65C sensor are not right is an example of a government spokesperson not knowing the system being discussed.