Efficient Car Work Shop

WinnieTheKhwai

Any recommendations for a competent car mechanic shop to work on an older diesel truck? Basic maintenance, changing a fuel filter, changing belts and stuff in the engine, just general things.

Don't mind location, anywhere in town, East of town or South of town is fine. (Just not all the way towards Mae Rim, Mae Jo or Doi Saket).

Would prefer a shop that's at least somewhat organized and uses genuine (or equivalent) parts, but cheaper than just going to the Toyota dealer.

Shame your not willing to head out on the Mae Jo road.

There's a guy in the bottom right corner where the bike market is behind Rimping.

Very good, very reliable, will use the parts you ask him to and is very reasonably priced too.

The guy that Mr.Clough is talking about is brilliant, he works on my truck whenever I need anything doing, he always uses genuine parts from Mitsubishi also. For a full routine service on my truck including decent oil is less than 1000thb usually, obviously if anything needs doing it may be slightly more.

Shame your not willing to head out on the Mae Jo road.

There's a guy in the bottom right corner where the bike market is behind Rimping.

Very good, very reliable, will use the parts you ask him to and is very reasonably priced too.

Well, I can make an exception. Mee Choke is not truly the end of the universe, I may well try it.

Thank you all very much for the recommendations!

JJ's Auto on the ring road, east of global house

Is that the guy that supposedly worked in USA named Jimmy?

Cap ohm :D

I thought so. I used him once and not only was he expensive, he really didn't do a good job...had to go back twice.

I like Khun Daychar. He's a great mechanic, as honest as the day is long, and not at all expensive. But he has certain limitations as he is an old school mechanic. No computers, fuel injection, etc. Not sure about diesel engines but I would think that is not a problem. He's right next to Loong Rot. He does not speak a word of English.

JJ's Auto on the ring road, east of global house

Is that the guy that supposedly worked in USA named Jimmy?

Cap ohm :D

I thought so. I used him once and not only was he expensive, he really didn't do a good job...had to go back twice.

Jimmy is a good guy and if he works on your car personally he does a great job. But he's become very busy with restoring classic cars and likely one of his mechanics will be the one doing the work on your car. They do make mistakes.

Edited by elektrified

I like Khun Daychar. He's a great mechanic, as honest as the day is long, and not at all expensive. But he has certain limitations as he is an old school mechanic. No computers, fuel injection, etc. Not sure about diesel engines but I would think that is not a problem. He's right next to Loong Rot.

Where/what/who is Loong Rot?

I like Khun Daychar. He's a great mechanic, as honest as the day is long, and not at all expensive. But he has certain limitations as he is an old school mechanic. No computers, fuel injection, etc. Not sure about diesel engines but I would think that is not a problem. He's right next to Loong Rot.

Where/what/who is Loong Rot?

Going down Thannon Charoen Muang (towards Bor Sang), turn right on the 1st soi before the soi that goes to the Oriental Dara Devi. On the corner is a huge, very neatly organized junkyard called Loong Rot (which is a great source for used auto parts), keep going about 50-70??? meters and look for an auto mechanic shop on the right side. There used to be a Fuchs oil sign out front but I think it is no longer there. Khun Daychar is an elderly Chinese Thai gentleman that used to work on race cars and is the mechanic/advisor for the classic car club in Chiang Mai. He is a very nice and interesting man and is an excellent mechanic.

No problem. I'm not good at estimating distance so Khun Daychar's garage may be more than 70 meters from Loong Rot, but it's not too far.

The last two times I had him work on the car, the bill was less (by as much as 30%) than his estimate. He tends to take a long lunch and maybe even a nap so try to avoid going during 12-2:00 as there is usually no one around.

Jimmy is a good guy and if he works on your car personally he does a great job. But he's become very busy with restoring classic cars and likely one of his mechanics will be the one doing the work on your car. They do make mistakes.

Fair enough, but in that case the charges for his mechanic shouldn't be expensive like his IMO.