Your Favourite Music - Free

SwaziBird

I have just been done a really great favour by a friend and I'd like to share this with you all.

I happen to really enjoy music from the 50's, 60's & 70's (plus others).

Difficulty in Chiang Mai is that there is very little opportunity of hearing your favourites on the radio.

Naturally, you will each have your own choices. Now you can select virtually every song you ever loved from any period and from any of your favourite artists.

With a little bit of creativity you can very quickly build a collection of 500 plus (I've logged up 770 so far) of your favourite songs in any of the genres you loved. You will soon discover hundreds of old favourites you'd completely forgotten about.

The good news is that it's absolutely free of charge and takes up virtually no room on your computer since none of the tunes are downloaded but, rather are streamed to you and with a reasonable set of speakers you can listen (I choose a random selection) to your own request programme for as long as you like.

It's simply wonderful and I cannot speak too highly of this service.

Try this website;

www.GrooveShark.com

Fiddle around for a while and get to know how to use the site.

It's GREAT, GREAT, GREAT!

Enjoy.

Cheers

Edited by SwaziBird

you might also try internet radio stations. there are a lot of great stations out there, with no commercials at all -- and a wide variety of music too.

then there are free apps you can get that will download all the songs (yes, it is legal) from the radio and you can store them on your pc and/or burn to disk and play in the car.

I love it!

Swazi...........FYI for the past year in Chiang Mai between the hours 3 PM to 6 PM daily on FM 100.75, Modern Radio now called Bangkok Radio plays mostly American popular music from the 50's, 60's, 70's and 80's. Don't know about other times as I only listen 3 PM to 6 PM..........

Jolly Roger

you might also try internet radio stations. there are a lot of great stations out there, with no commercials at all -- and a wide variety of music too.

then there are free apps you can get that will download all the songs (yes, it is legal) from the radio and you can store them on your pc and/or burn to disk and play in the car.

I love it!

I love the internet radio stations also. Can tune in the great jazz stations around the world...bossa nova in Brazil...flamingo from Spain. Great stuff.

I just popped up live365.com and they are showcasing Bossa Nova Breakfast from a station in Los Angeles...

AGREE TOTALLY

Thanks for the tip. It's a beauty.

What's more, you can download anything easily from the site using the Firefox add- on called Grooveshredder.

Works very well for me. The link is here

Anyone having trouble installing the Firefox Grooveshredder add-on?

The install keeps failing with ''Download Error -228"'...

I used to use one called IMRadio where you could download the tunes in a special format that could not be played on anything else and build your own collection and broadcast it back over IMRadio or just use it in your own home.

Unfortunately they ran into copyright issues and had to stop the downloadable tracks so I lost interest in it.

I used to use one called IMRadio where you could download the tunes in a special format that could not be played on anything else and build your own collection and broadcast it back over IMRadio or just use it in your own home.

Unfortunately they ran into copyright issues and had to stop the downloadable tracks so I lost interest in it.

Thats where the beauty of programmes such as Audacity come to the fore.

Stream the music and record it with Audacity, save the files and then convert to whatever format you want.

Be aware a lot of this streamed music is compressed and in lossy format with a low bit rate, which means its ok for listening to on the computer or on a USB in the car,

but sounds terrible when coverted to a wav file and played on a normal system in your front room.

AGREE TOTALLY

Thanks for the tip. It's a beauty.

What's more, you can download anything easily from the site using the Firefox add- on called Grooveshredder.

Works very well for me. The link is here

Anyone having trouble installing the Firefox Grooveshredder add-on?

The install keeps failing with ''Download Error -228"'...

From:http://kb.mozillazine.org/Unable_to_install_themes_or_extensions_-_Firefox#Download_Error_-228

Download Error -228

This error message may be caused by having the Firefox cache disabled. To re-enable:

Firefox 2 and above: Tools -> Options -> Advanced -> Network

Firefox 1.5: Tools -> Options -> Privacy -> Cache

Make sure the cache is at least 1 MB (50 MB is the default setting).

On Linux, this error can be caused by IPv6. To disable IPv6, go to about:config and find the preference network.dns.disableIPv6, then right-click on it and toggle it to true. This change will require a restart of Firefox.

On Mac OS, this error can occur if the ~/Library/Caches/TemporaryItems folder is not writable. To change the permissions, control click (right-click) on the "TemporaryItems" folder, choose Get Info and, under Sharing and Permissions, change your user permissions to Read & Write. This problem can be caused by a bug in the WASP extension, which is now fixed in the current version. [7] [8]

Firewalls or spyware screeners may also cause this issue. If you use the CA firewall, Windows Defender, or the resident option of Spybot S&D ("Teatimer" feature), temporarily disable it to see if your system will now allow the extensions or themes to install [9].

Failing that, a workaround is to right-click the download link, select "Save Link As..." and download the .xpi or .jar file to your computer. You can then manually install it by dragging the file icon onto an open Firefox window [10].

Note: The Download Error -228 message may also be seen if the required .xpi or .jar file is not actually present on the server site. You can simply try again at a later time or check other download links on both the same site and a different site, before assuming that your own setup is at fault. [11]

Another solution is disabling Network Monitor Driver. On Windows XP go to Control Panel, Network Connections, Right click your connection, Properties, uncheck network monitor driver, hit ok.

Audacity is free and works well as a general purpose recording software, but it's a bit technical and really is probably better suited as an audio file editor. To save as MP3 files. you first have to save as a WAV file and then manually export to an MP3 file.

Audiograbber is also free, more suited to ripping CDs to MP3s, but also has a line in feature that allows recording of whatever's coming thru your soundcard. Much friendlier settings and built in controls for automatically splitting streams into tracks, as well as file tagging functions. It also automatically converts the initial WAV file recording into MP3s, if you want it to, behind the scenes without any user involvement.

Depending on what country IP address a person is using or has access to, Spotify is a terrific service, huge music library and even their free plan (at least for U.S. IP holders) has high quality MP3 streams. The advantage there is you can pick the individual songs or albums you want to hear from their library of 15 or 18 million songs, whereas services like Pandora choose the music for you based on your general preferences.

For a REALLY simple and uncomplicated free MP3 recording software, which again records whatever's coming thru your soundcard, I like Free Sound Recorder 9.2.7.

http://download.cnet.com/Free-Sound-Recorder/3000-2168_4-10698910.html?tag=dropDownForm;productListing

I have and use all of the above...

From:http://kb.mozillazine.org/Unable_to_install_themes_or_extensions_-_Firefox#Download_Error_-228

Download Error -228

This error message may be caused by having the Firefox cache disabled. To re-enable:

Firefox 2 and above: Tools -> Options -> Advanced -> Network

Firefox 1.5: Tools -> Options -> Privacy -> Cache

Make sure the cache is at least 1 MB (50 MB is the default setting).

On Linux, this error can be caused by IPv6. To disable IPv6, go to about:config and find the preference network.dns.disableIPv6, then right-click on it and toggle it to true. This change will require a restart of Firefox.

On Mac OS, this error can occur if the ~/Library/Caches/TemporaryItems folder is not writable. To change the permissions, control click (right-click) on the "TemporaryItems" folder, choose Get Info and, under Sharing and Permissions, change your user permissions to Read & Write. This problem can be caused by a bug in the WASP extension, which is now fixed in the current version. [7] [8]

Firewalls or spyware screeners may also cause this issue. If you use the CA firewall, Windows Defender, or the resident option of Spybot S&D ("Teatimer" feature), temporarily disable it to see if your system will now allow the extensions or themes to install [9].

Failing that, a workaround is to right-click the download link, select "Save Link As..." and download the .xpi or .jar file to your computer. You can then manually install it by dragging the file icon onto an open Firefox window [10].

Note: The Download Error -228 message may also be seen if the required .xpi or .jar file is not actually present on the server site. You can simply try again at a later time or check other download links on both the same site and a different site, before assuming that your own setup is at fault. [11]

Another solution is disabling Network Monitor Driver. On Windows XP go to Control Panel, Network Connections, Right click your connection, Properties, uncheck network monitor driver, hit ok.

Thanks, I tried all that but nothing worked.

Here's the direct link to the download. Can you get it to open? If you can, you could upload it here, and I coulld install it manually. :jap:

https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/downloads/file/122386/groove_shredder-1.04-fx.xpi

Thanks, I tried all that but nothing worked.

Here's the direct link to the download. Can you get it to open? If you can, you could upload it here, and I coulld install it manually. :jap:

https://addons.mozil...der-1.04-fx.xpi

I tried your link to download it and get a 404 not found error. That appears to be an old version. The current version is 1.14.8

However I did go to the Mozilla add-on site:

https://addons.mozil...grooveshredder/

I had no problems installing it from there. It one of those add-ons that you have to agree the terms and conditions before it will download.

The file that was installed is called '[email protected]'. I uploaded it to your link.

Edited by BB1950

Thanks BB,

I tried your Mozilla link but keep getting redirected to the earlier version and getting the same download error. Weird!?

Thanks for uploading the .xpi file to the ifile.it site.

You'll need to give me the download link after you do it.

eg

http://ifile.it/l5d03su

Thanks

katana

Yes, it is weird. Do you have cookies enabled?

Here's another Mozilla link: https://addons.mozil...c=external-blog

Oops, I've never used to ifile before, so I didn't have the download link. I've uploaded it again

These are the links:

Short Link: http://ifile.it/evfzapc

Full Link: http://ifile.it/evfz...e.argee.org.xpi

Delete Link: http://ifile.it/evfz...76b1fba55bf5cc7

Edited by BB1950

Well, it appears that the Grooveshredder 1.14.8 version is only compatible with Firefox 4.0+, not the Firefox 3.6 version I'm using, so won't install. The download at the Mozilla site appears to detect my old Firefox and redirect me to the earlier compatible Grooveshredder 1.04 version, which has been removed from the server, hence the -228 download error.

I have edited the 'minVersion' for BB's 1.14.8 .xpi file and got it to work in Firefox 3.6 for anyone experiencing similar install problems.

Grooveshredder 1.14.8 backward compatible for Firefox 3.6: http://ifile.it/gf23ix5

To install it, just drag the .xpi file onto Firefox and follow the prompts.

Edited by katana