All Bank'S Not The Same

Just thought this might be of interest to some peep's Two + week's ago I needed to get some cash 40,000BT At 11.45pm I took out 20,000bt from an ATM at the Kasikorn bank. At 12.15am I took 20.000bt again useing my ATM from the BKK Bank. Just got my statement from my Bank in England 20,000bt from the Kasikorn = £425.71p From the BKK Bank = £429.93. That's a difference of £4.22p And all within 30 Min: of each other. So not all bank's give the same exchange rate.

I usally check www.bankexchangerates.daytodaydata.net last thursday i checked it and 1002 the taye at Ayudhya was 49.02 to the gbp so went down town,but, checking on there in bank screen I was surprised to see 48.66! The data on the website is suppossed to come from the bank so it will interesting to see what rate is quoted, there is always a variance between the banks here and I may also be the case that the UK processing is not done on the same day which make calculations difficult to predict.

"......not all bank's give the same exchange rate."

Who ever said they did? You only need to look at the rates on the kiosk windows to realise that.

As for ATM withdrawals, it would also depend on whether you select the dynamic exchange rate option or not. If you do then you are subject to the rate of the bank whose ATM it is, but they will tell you this as you withdraw. If you don't then it is your bank that does the exchange and you wont know till much later, but of course that rate will not vary any more than normal daily exchange rate fluctuations and wont change from ATM to ATM.

Either way, at 60,000Baht it must have been one hell of an evening.

I usually check www.bankexchangerates.daytodaydata.net last thursday i checked it and 1002 the taye at Ayudhya was 49.02 to the gbp so went down town,but, checking on there in bank screen I was surprised to see 48.66! The data on the website is suppossed to come from the bank so it will interesting to see what rate is quoted, there is always a variance between the banks here and I may also be the case that the UK processing is not done on the same day which make calculations difficult to predict.

http://bankexchanger...ytodaydata.net/

The rates shown at above web site is for TT, Notes, Sight Bills, Cheques, and Drafts; it does not show what rate Visa/Mastercard are giving in an ATM transaction. But usually the Visa rate will be real close the TT rate and the Mastercard rate a little lower and real close the Sight Bill/Traveler-Cheque rate. The actual exchange rate provided by Visa and Mastercard on any particular day can be found at their Exchange Rate Web Sites. Note: please take into consideration any foreign transaction fee(s) your home country bank may apply on a foreign ATM transaction.

Visa: http://usa.visa.com/...ex_rates_us.jsp

Mastercard: https://www.masterca...sion/index.html

P.S. and never-ever accept the Dynamic Currency Conversion (DCC) option if offered in an ATM transaction as you will receive a several percent lower exchange rate and you will still be charged any home country foreign transaction fees your bank may apply. Sometmes the DCC option may be disguised/offerred as the bank's rate which you may assume to be better than the Visa/Mastercard rate, but it ain't better....it's worst. DCC bad, very bad, never accept.

Edited by Pib

I usually check www.bankexchangerates.daytodaydata.net last thursday i checked it and 1002 the taye at Ayudhya was 49.02 to the gbp so went down town,but, checking on there in bank screen I was surprised to see 48.66! The data on the website is suppossed to come from the bank so it will interesting to see what rate is quoted, there is always a variance between the banks here and I may also be the case that the UK processing is not done on the same day which make calculations difficult to predict.

http://bankexchanger...ytodaydata.net/

The rates shown at above web site is for TT, Notes, Sight Bills, Cheques, and Drafts; it does not show what rate Visa/Mastercard are giving in an ATM transaction. But usually the Visa rate will be real close the TT rate and the Mastercard rate a little lower and real close the Sight Bill/Traveler-Cheque rate. The actual exchange rate provided by Visa and Mastercard on any particular day can be found at their Exchange Rate Web Sites. Note: please take into consideration any foreign transaction fee(s) your home country bank may apply on a foreign ATM transaction.

Visa: http://usa.visa.com/...ex_rates_us.jsp

Mastercard: https://www.masterca...sion/index.html

P.S. and never-ever accept the Dynamic Currency Conversion (DCC) option if offered in an ATM transaction as you will receive a several percent lower exchange rate and you will still be charged any home country foreign transaction fees your bank may apply. Sometmes the DCC option may be disguised/offerred as the bank's rate which you may assume to be better than the Visa/Mastercard rate, but it ain't better....it's worst. DCC bad, very bad, never accept.

Yes agree with all that but I used a D/D card And the time difference at my English bank was 5.45 pm and 6.15pm the same day.

Hard telling what caused the different rates/charges....it could be as simple as the bank owning the ATM actually adjusting the exchange rate just a little versus using the Visa/Mastercard exchange rate. I almost always use a AEON ATM with my two different Visa debit cards (both are 0% foreign transaction fee cards) and so far I have always got the exchange rate listed on the Visa Exchange Rate page.