Your Favorite Thai Food Recipe

sbk

My personal favorite stand-by is fried curry with pork. Its super easy to make and its one of my favorite dishes anyway. I like to add the oil to a hot wok then add the curry paste, I don't use the shrimp paste but add soy sauce to the finished product for a bit of salty. Stir fry the paste a bit, then add in smallish pieces of pork (or chicken if you like chicken) and then stir fry that until nearly done. I add a tiny bit of milk to thicken it and then cook it down and add soy sauce to taste. Eat with a crispy fried fish and rice.

Not authentic Thai, but Thai style

4 Chicken breasts skin on

1 can of coconut milk

1" cube of ginger

1 small bunch of coriander

2 Tbsps of sugar

2 limes

De-seeded birds eye Chillis to taste

2 tsp of soy sauce

Take the zest and juice from the limes. Place in a mixer with the coconut milk the chopped ginger, coriander and sugar and soy sauce. Whiz it up and pour into a bowl.

Slash the skin side of the breasts about 3 time and place in bowl. Put the bowl in the fridge for at least 10 mins. I find the longer the better. Grill or BBQ the chicken, heat the sauce but do not let it boil. When chicken is cooked serve with rice and pour over the sauce to taste.

I got it from a Sainsbury's recipe card and I love it.

I like many thai dishes but i never tryied to made them by myself, as there are really great cooks all around that can create their culinary masterpieces for so little money.

I also prefere to eat my own western food and when i have the time for it i try to cook new things i never made before, but for which i know very well how they should taste like, i don't have the same level of confidence for the local food, so i skip it to avoid disasters too, eh eh :lol:

I used to cook these before I moved to Thailand, but now too lazy to cook Thai food in Thailand (eat it out instead) --

Tom Yum Gai

Pad Thai Gai

Pad Krapow style but with TURKEY and MINT LEAVES

The latter is why I posted for people outside Thailand where you can get good ground Turkey. Pad Krapow or with mint leaves is surprisingly good with Turkey. Frankly, I don't recall the exact recipe I used but I did the spice paste in a food processor and used about 50 times more garlic than you get in Thailand (also lots of chilies) because I love garlic. Once you do it a few times, it's a real breeze and so tasty. Just check the web for recipes for pad krapow and use mint leaves instead of the basil and turkey instead of the usual meats and play with it.

Edited by Jingthing

I used to cook these before I moved to Thailand, but now too lazy to cook Thai food in Thailand (eat it out instead) --

Tom Yum Gai

Pad Thai Gai

Pad Krapow style but with TURKEY and MINT LEAVES

The latter is why I posted for people outside Thailand where you can get good ground Turkey. Pad Krapow or with mint leaves is surprisingly good with Turkey. Frankly, I don't recall the exact recipe I used but I did the spice paste in a food processor and used about 50 times more garlic than you get in Thailand (also lots of chilies) because I love garlic. Once you do it a few times, it's a real breeze and so tasty. Just check the web for recipes for pad krapow and use mint leaves instead of the basil and turkey instead of the usual meats and play with it.

I bet, JT, I have found the garlic in the US to be rather unflavorful compared to the garlic here.

I also like to make a good garlic and pepper pork (yes I prefer pork to chicken).

Put garlic and black pepper in a mortar and pestle and mash then put it in a bowl with chopped up pork (chicken, prawns) and marinade with some soy sauce and oyster sauce- add more ground black pepper to taste if you like

Smash up the garlic with a nice big butcher type knife and then deep fry it in medium oil until totally crispy so its crunchy.

Then add marinaded pork to the oil and cook until done. drain, and put crispy garlic on top.

Keeps the vampires away!

My Thai sister in law and I often share food dishes eg she'll bring me a delicious curry and I'll cook her and her husband spag bol or a pizza or something-

.A little while ago i purchased from Big C 2 foam boxes of Put-Siew(wide noodles cooked with soy sauce and a bit of veg) .As I hadn't given her any food for a few days I duly took the noodles out of the foam container, put them into a bowl,put them in the microwave and then promptly delivered them to their house while they were still "fresh"

Well the next day -(having assumed I cooked them and I didn't say whether I did or I didn't) -she said her husband thought my Put siew was so delicious I could open a restaurant.!! I didn't have the heart to say otherwise. You can be sure that next time I see the afore-mentioned noodles they will be going into the shopping trolley!! Do I feel guilty?-well yes a little but at least we're all happy.