Thailand To Shed 'Sex Tourism' Tag Soon

george

Thailand to shed 'sex tourism' tag soon

Arguably called the sex tourism capital of the world, Thailand is now deliberately using the family tourism label to shed the sex destination tag, a Thai diplomat said here Friday.

Speaking to the media on the sidelines of an event organised in Panaji to promote Thailand as a tourism destination, Tomwit Jarnson, the Thai consul general in Mumbai, said family tourism would eventually edge Thailand away from the slur of 'sex tourism' in the years to come.

"We are trying to project Thailand as a family tourism destination. We are slowly changing the perception of Thailand to the rest of the world," Jarnson said.

Jarnson said the Thai food and dance festival in Goa, in association with the Vivanta by Taj hotels and resorts, was just such an attempt to project Thailand as a place steeped in culture, which is quite similar to the culture of the Indian sub-continent and tradition and a rich and diverse culinary palette.

"Destination Thailand is an annual event organised by us which helps us reach out to the people of India through our food, music and dance. We are very happy to have the festival in Goa this year where the people of this city will experience the unique characteristics and rich cultural heritage which our country has to offer," he said.

"We are slowly developing facilities in Thailand which will attract family tourism. We have a lot of Indian families who travel to Thailand," Jarnson said.

He further said that the Thailand tourism authorities were trying to project Phuket - which, along with Bangkok and Pattaya, is regarded as the prime sex tourism area in Thailand - as a family tourism destination.

Although banned by law, prostitution is common place in the tourism districts of Thailand, which nearly 14 million tourists visit annually -- a large chunk of these are single males or male groups of tourists seeking sex or sex-oriented fun.

A recent World Health Organisation (WHO) report has pegged the number of female prostitutes in the country at 2 lakh.

-- IANS 2011-08-20

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/life-style/travel/Thailand-to-shed-sex-tourism-tag-soon/articleshow/9672487.cms

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Here is a free tip for Thailand. In Las Vegas , Nevada, the city " leaders" decided they did not want the reputation for the city to be sin and gambling. They then tried to redo all publicity to push for family tourism. Revenues fell WAY off, they came to their senses, and the new promotion became" what goes on in Vegas stays in Vegas". Thailand can certainly do whatever it wants, but if it kills off the sex trade just be sure to have regular jobs for all the girls from Issan...... This kind of government social engineering is made all the more funny by the fact that 80 to 90 percent of the sex trade is for the benefit of and used by Thai men. But I suppose that segment will not be going away. :whistling:

On a side note, if they really do want family tourism, the government is going to have to do something about the endless scams. Those do not go well with families. Kids watching their dad get beaten up by jet ski thugs could have a detrimental effect on future families visiting......

Edited by rhiekel

Here is a free tip for Thailand. In Las Vegas , Nevada, the city " leaders" decided they did not want the reputation for the city to be sin and gambling. They then tried to redo all publicity to push for family tourism. Revenues fell WAY off, they came to their senses, and the new promotion became" what goes on in Vegas stays in Vegas". Thailand can certainly do whatever it wants, but if it kills off the sex trade just be sure to have regular jobs for all the girls from Issan...... This kind of government social engineering is made all the more funny by the fact that 80 to 90 percent of the sex trade is for the benefit of and used by Thai men. But I suppose that segment will not be going away. :whistling::whistling::whistling::whistling:

Actually las Vegas mostly targets business convention.

Anyway, I came to realize that the place that cater to foreign sexpats are usually run by foreigners.

So lets get rid of these first, then we see what's left

Not in our lifetimes.

Try to stop sex tourism! Give me a break. Men from all over the world come her for Thai girls and some for boys, and many for golf. Take the girls out of the equation and what will be the result?

For a family beach holiday there are many places to go.

One should admit that there seems some co-ordination between cabinet members. Reviving OTOP will certainly be a wee bit easier when there are less of these so-called 'sex tourists' and more families. A tin tuk-tuk, wooden eliphant, candy, etc., etc., kids used to like that. Maybe change the offering adding tin or wooden Ipads :)

Just for information, there are maybe 7 or 8 flights a day from Hong Kong to Bangkok, mostly all fully booked

Actually, I just checked and between Thai and Cathay there are already 10 flights. And after that there are code sharing. And the loading seems pretty heavy, especially for tomorrow a Sunday, not the most busy day of the week

Edited by JurgenG

My spoof-detector is in the shop today so I'm having difficulty so bear with me.

I know what they can do! Two Thailands - a Daytime/Family Thailand and a Nighttime/'sex-oriented fun' Thailand. Or geographically separate family Thailand and the other 'fun' Thailand and everybody wins and tourist dollars don't go into dumpster.

Problem solved! Sort of ... there may be some, ahem, problems with these two approaches I must say. Yes, not in our lifetimes - mine anyway.

Edited by MaxYakov

Actually I regularly travel from China to Bangkok.

All the flights are fully booked, and not by western sexpats

Some people really need to realize times are changing

Times maybe changing but Thailand isn't and won't!!!! :blink:

Here is a free tip for Thailand. In Las Vegas , Nevada, the city " leaders" decided they did not want the reputation for the city to be sin and gambling. They then tried to redo all publicity to push for family tourism. Revenues fell WAY off, they came to their senses, and the new promotion became" what goes on in Vegas stays in Vegas". Thailand can certainly do whatever it wants, but if it kills off the sex trade just be sure to have regular jobs for all the girls from Issan...... This kind of government social engineering is made all the more funny by the fact that 80 to 90 percent of the sex trade is for the benefit of and used by Thai men. But I suppose that segment will not be going away. :whistling::whistling::whistling::whistling:

Actually las Vegas mostly targets business convention.

Anyway, I came to realize that the place that cater to foreign sexpats are usually run by foreigners.

So lets get rid of these first, then we see what's left

no, not really, they are mostly run by police, local Mp's, councillors and other local dignatories

theres very little room left at the trough for foreigners and if they are too successful then they are very quickly out of the business............

Edited by timekeeper

"Although banned by law, prostitution is common place in the tourism districts of Thailand"

Only in toursim districts of Thailand ?...... are we sure about that Khun Tomwit ?....I seem to recall vast numbers of "entertaiment" complexes in one of the more prominent business areas of BKK and not a tourist district for miles....:whistling:

Interestingly enough, a friend renting vacation apartments here on Koh Tao just said last week that they have noticed more families coming in the last 1-2 years (and this is typically a back-packer / diving island). I've also seen more kids running circles around mom & dad recently, and more and more of the tourists on Koh Tao are not here for diving.

This could be a case of taking your flag and getting in front of the parade.

Oh come on guys (and gals)... stop reacting like a bunch of gullible literalists!

It's just politicking and "good image" flag waving...

It is not about changing the product and banning or replacing international or domestic sex tourism is it.

It is about changing the image or perception of our destinations...