Win Xp / Firefox Tweak: Can I Turn Off Tooltips?

RDN

It may not be a "tooltip", but it's the text box that appears when you hover the mouse pointer over a Firefox tab, like "Tab Mix Plus" here:

tmphelptext0om.jpg

The problem I have is that the text box gets in the way of the "Close Tab" button, so I can't close it. :o Stupid!

I've asked on the Tab Mix Plus forum, but no answer yet.

I've Googled, and found a registry tweak which did not work: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced

Value Name: ShowInfoTip. Value Data: [0 - ShowInfoTip Disabled / 1 - ShowInfoTip Enabled]

I've had a look in Tune Up Utilities, but found nothing.

Any help gratefully received!

Temporary fix: right click and then select 'close tab'.

Far too labour intensive, Will. But thanks anyway!

I've changed my mouse configuration options in Tab Mix Plus so that double clicking closes a tab. This means I don't have to zero in on the "Close Tab" icon on the tab.

So when this irritating "Tool Tip" appears right under the mouse pointer, I can move the mouse anywhere on the tab to get rid of it, and close the tab by double-clicking.

I've also extended the time that the mouse must be stationary over the tab before the tooltip appears from 200 ms to 999 ms (max). That helps a bit too - stops the tooltip appearing so quickly, so I can click away without it getting in the way.

But I really want to turn the tooltip off completely, or for the Tab Mix Plus / Firefox guys to figure out why the tooltip appears under the mouse pointer instead of under the tail.

Think I've found the same one as you, RDN:

http://www.theeldergeek.com/tool_tip_displays.htm

Apologies about the "dummy" tone here but you did...

1) Insert a DWORD value containing zero?

2) Reboot afterwards?

Yep, that's the one. Didn't work! Tried setting another "ToolInfo" word to zero. Didn't work either - just gave me this error every time I started Explorer. Didn't appear to hurt Explorer and didn't fix the problem in Firefox either.

explorererror6sw.jpg

Changed the registry settings back, error still there. Did a system restore. All OK again. Phew!

When I've got time, I'll remove all my Firefox extensions, put them back 50% at a time and see if I can find if a particular one of them is giving the problem.

hi'

sometime, just need to look where it's needed :D no need for a big brainstorming, you can ajust almost every single action of firefox typing about:config in the address bar, this is what firetunes or else tweaker are doing for you :o

francois

hi'

sometime, just need to look where it's needed :D no need for a big brainstorming, you can ajust almost every single action of firefox typing about:config in the address bar, this is what firetunes or else tweaker are doing for you :D

francois

Thanks for the tip - I just downloaded and ran FireTune :o

Think I've found the same one as you, RDN:

http://www.theeldergeek.com/tool_tip_displays.htm

Apologies about the "dummy" tone here but you did...

1) Insert a DWORD value containing zero?

2) Reboot afterwards?

Yep, that's the one. Didn't work! Tried setting another "ToolInfo" word to zero. Didn't work either - just gave me this error every time I started Explorer. Didn't appear to hurt Explorer and didn't fix the problem in Firefox either.

explorererror6sw.jpg

Changed the registry settings back, error still there. Did a system restore. All OK again. Phew!

When I've got time, I'll remove all my Firefox extensions, put them back 50% at a time and see if I can find if a particular one of them is giving the problem.

hi'

one by one would be more cautious :D

for example there is a big clash with getright and flashgot :o

francois