Brit Left Paralyzed After Drink Was Spiked In Thailand Bar Is Home At Last

george

Thailand has too many storry of tourists being effected by the louzy system here. Sure you can get robbed in Amsterdam too.

But then there are tourists dieing in hotel tourists dieing from poisoned food. tourists getting killed etc... There are just too

many storry of misfortune for tourists and the Thai government wants to make Thailand family friendly rather than a sex destination. So they will need to get justice here quickly. Only with a serious justice system will things change. That mean

routing out corruption and its not going to happen under this government. Basically Thailand is third world country that is

not any longer third world economically but hasn t made the transition yet in the field of justice and society. Yet it has many

ambitions it wished to appoint their own candidate to the IMF. I guess the Thais are not really aware of who they really are

and where their society really stands in the world and how things should change to make it better. I think fighting corruption

would be a good place to start, but they aren t there yet.

Their economy isn't 3rd world? Just because their economy is booming in a world recession does not mean they are no longer 3rd world and able to sustain themselves on their own produce or merits. What do you think would happen if one day the West stopped exporting from Thailand and moved all of their production to another cheaper country?

If Thailand wishes to be an Asian country in the same league as Singapore then it is not even at the dawn of it's change. I would be surprised if I even see it in my lifetime (and I'm a youngling on this forum!!). Thailand is what it is, chances of it being anything majorly different anytime soon is a pipedream.

I see corruption and people getting scammed everyday here just when I pop to the shops for 5 mins, and at the same time I see some of the rudest most disrespectful farangs in the world acting in a way no other country would tolerate and accept. It all goes hand in hand and will not change for a long time.

Edited by KunMatt

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I was in the Australian Navy one of our sailors decided to have drink of straight Mekong whiskey, he spent three months in a coma and suffered brain damage after, this may be what happened to this bloke, drank a bit too much then got adventurous and went for the heavy stuff.

Thailand has too many storry of tourists being effected by the louzy system here. Sure you can get robbed in Amsterdam too.

But then there are tourists dieing in hotel tourists dieing from poisoned food. tourists getting killed etc... There are just too

many storry of misfortune for tourists and the Thai government wants to make Thailand family friendly rather than a sex destination. So they will need to get justice here quickly. Only with a serious justice system will things change. That mean

routing out corruption and its not going to happen under this government. Basically Thailand is third world country that is

not any longer third world economically but hasn t made the transition yet in the field of justice and society. Yet it has many

ambitions it wished to appoint their own candidate to the IMF. I guess the Thais are not really aware of who they really are

and where their society really stands in the world and how things should change to make it better. I think fighting corruption

would be a good place to start, but they aren t there yet.

Their economy isn't 3rd world? Just because their economy is booming in a world recession does not mean they are no longer 3rd world and able to sustain themselves on their own produce or merits. What do you think would happen if one day the West stopped exporting from Thailand and moved all of their production to another cheaper country?

If Thailand wishes to be an Asian country in the same league as Singapore then it is not even at the dawn of it's change. I would be surprised if I even see it in my lifetime (and I'm a youngling on this forum!!). Thailand is what it is, chances of it being anything majorly different anytime soon is a pipedream.

I see corruption and people getting scammed everyday here just when I pop to the shops for 5 mins, and at the same time I see some of the rudest most disrespectful farangs in the world acting in a way no other country would tolerate and accept. It all goes hand in hand and will not change for a long time.

Difficult to imagine what you mean above, presumably you reference Western imports from Thailand and assume that includes car/electronics from Japan et al? Actually, rather than me second guess, perhaps better you clarify.

Also, before the much abused and misused term, "third world", is used again, perhaps best to understand that it's an outdated expression that's no longer applicable anywhere.

Difficult to imagine what you mean above, presumably you reference Western imports from Thailand and assume that includes car/electronics from Japan et al? Actually, rather than me second guess, perhaps better you clarify.

Also, before the much abused and misused term, "third world", is used again, perhaps best to understand that it's an outdated expression that's no longer applicable anywhere.

You're right, I was erroneously referring to all counrtries that manufacture and/or export products from Thailand as "The West" when infact it is much more global.

So back to the topic and all the other points raised so far...

If you dig into the history of this you'll likely see that it's pure speculation as to what happened to him, whether his drink was spiked or not seems to be a mystery - it all just seems to be yet another of those unexplained holiday trips that ended in disaster and without a solid explanation as to why. As for the article, it seems to be yet another case of sensational reporting on a quiet news day.

There is a fuller story when you click on the links. The shame is that one does not get to hear these stories until they are picked up by the local papers in the UK who should rightly tell them. No sensational reporting there at all.

Be careful when out drinking. seems to be the general advice.

Good advice but just how is one supposed to be careful?

Don't use a glass, they can put the drug in there first. Drink only from a bottle and have them open the bottle in front of you. Sounds fine but they can pop the top and put it back on shake the bottle a bit so it gives that shzz! sound as its opened in front of you.

Sounds like the only way to stay safe is not to drink at all or bring your own from the 7-11 neither of which will make for an enjoyable evening out at the local bar.

B)

Happens to Thais as well as farangs

Nothing new in my archive 20-year ago (1992) and others in between then and now

The easy pick-up who left her victim brain-dead The woman you think is an easy pick-up might just be the most dangerous person you ever meet.\i]Thammanum Panyarattanawong[/i] found out the hard way when he was 27 years old.

After being drugged by an unknown woman and falling unconscious three years ago, he now is 31 years old and has never regained consciousness.

When he was drugged, the dosage was too strong and restricted the supply of oxygen to his brain.

Now he lies on a canvas bed in a one-story house in Soi Polo 2, Witthayu Road (better know to foreigners as Wireless Road), unable to do anything for himself.

When he went out to drink he had about B.6,000 - B.7,000 cash in his pocket, he had wanted to buy a new motorcycle. But the money had disappeared by the time he arrived back home from the cafe.

His friend says there had been a woman sitting with them at the cafe in Saphan Kwai and that he was unconscious at the time. But the friend did not wanted to become an eyewitness. (Typical Thai behavior, running away from responsibility, the same as they do in vehicle accidents).[/font]

The victim’s aunt has related the episode in the hope that men will be more careful. Reality in Thailand at this time does not bear it out that men are becoming more careful, because everyone thinks it will not happen to him, it happens only to other men.

A friend got drugged by two young Thai women he brought back to his room , woke up 14 hours later with $ 20,000 cash taken ..

Said they put the drug on the breast and he was out in 40 seconds ..

unfortunately alot of time has passed and alot of key questions remain unanswered....I don't believe the official version of events......he is lucky he has such great parents taking care of him.......

off topic , but his sister looks very sweet!

There isn't even a mention of what drug could have done this let alone their finding any poison in his system. Certainly it may have happened but it just seems a bit odd to use a poison that is likely to kill somebody simply to rob them when so many non-lethal drugs are incredibly cheap and available at the local pharmacy. To risk murder charges to steal a few hundred bahts in a plot like this makes little sense especially with all the witnesses in a bar.

Brain damage is not an uncommon side affect of attacks like this. They don't 'poison' people as such. They use anything that will disorient a victim and make him (or her) easy to steal from. Obviously unconscious is the ideal state. Any downers such as valium etc, Rohypnol even ghb and ketamine. The problem is dosage and unscrupulous thieves don't attend the years of classes that anaesthetists do. The resultant over dosing causes coma and lack of blood therefore oxygen to the brain. The brain quickly deteriorates under these circumstances and that is where the damage happens.

A friend got drugged by two young Thai women he brought back to his room , woke up 14 hours later with $ 20,000 cash taken ..

$20k in cash in a hotel room!!!

I think that is what they invented banks for?

If you dig into the history of this you'll likely see that it's pure speculation as to what happened to him, whether his drink was spiked or not seems to be a mystery - it all just seems to be yet another of those unexplained holiday trips that ended in disaster and without a solid explanation as to why. As for the article, it seems to be yet another case of sensational reporting on a quiet news day.

There is a fuller story when you click on the links. The shame is that one does not get to hear these stories until they are picked up by the local papers in the UK who should rightly tell them. No sensational reporting there at all.

I have clicked on the links and I have read a number of different versions of a similar story that revolves around nobody knowing what happened to this boy, including the boy himself. The different versions of this tale all conclude by speculating that he "could: have been drugged and robbery "may" have been the motive, few papers if any decided to go down the road of reporting that he, "could" have OD'd on alcohol with disastrous results because that sort of story sells less copies than the more dramatic alternative plus would likely draw litigation fire. The article is nothing more than extension of the bar stool brigade's speculatory wisdom so yes, it is sensational reporting I'm afraid.

Indeed 3rd world is a seriously outdated term from the 1950s or so.

These days, Thailand is considered a developing nation or a newly industrialized country. That puts it on the higher tier of former 3rd world countries.

Thailand is also one of the top 2 or 3 rice exporters in the world, so they are more than a production line for American goods.

But yes, this is seriously off topic.

As for corruption, competence of the authorities and accountability, Thailand is obviously seriously lacking, and I've even heard Thai people say the same thing, as long as you know them well enough.

Add to that, a lot of dirty deeds, especially in tourist areas, often go unpunished. Should it stop you from going out of the house and having a good time? No, but you should be on your guard, best to not go out alone, probably, especially in tourist areas. It's sad, but really in reality the odds are probably a bit higher than in some places that somebody may try to harm you.

If you're truly scared and bothered by it, I'd say vacation or live in another country! You just can't be 100% safe wherever you are, really...

Put me down as another skeptic who feels that no doubt it happens sometimes but almost efcrtainly noewhere near how often it is claimed.

I spent a few years running bars and more frequenting them and as far as I know it never happened to me and MIGHT have happened to one person I knew.

Oh, that one. Normally it's claimed to be ladyboys who do this.

How does he know they put this drug on their breast? What drug can you put on your breast that knock someone who (licks it?) unconscious in 40 seconds?

How and why did he have $20,000 cash in aroom (to which he was bringing back young women he didn't know)?

Remarkable.

Edited by SteeleJoe

Put me down as another skeptic who feels that no doubt it happens sometimes but almost efcrtainly noewhere near how often it is claimed.

I spent a few years running bars and more frequenting them and as far as I know it never happened to me and MIGHT have happened to one person I knew.

Oh, that one. Normally it's claimed to be ladyboys who do this.

How does he know they put this drug on their breast? What drug can you put on your breast that knock someone who (licks it?) unconscious in 40 seconds?

How and why did he have $20,000 cash in aroom (to which he was bringing back young women he didn't know)?

Remarkable.

Stories about the supposed "nipple drug trick" have been around many years, but I never really understood what prevented the alleged drug from being absorbed into the perpetrators skin yet works in seconds once introduced orally!

This.....is.....not.....an......urban......myth. I have been drugged, and a personal friend of mine was drugged at Nana Hotel. He made the mistake of taking home a free lance girl. Also he is not really much of a drinker. When they got back to the room, she kept insisting they have another drink to loosen her up. He remembers it tasting a bit odd from what ever she put in it, and he woke up a day later with a blinding headache, and everything gone. He left to go back home, and emailed me he would never return to Thailand again. Wait a second, maybe he is really lucky he is not brain dead !!!!!

This.....is.....not.....an......urban......myth. I have been drugged, and a personal friend of mine was drugged at Nana Hotel. He made the mistake of taking home a free lance girl. Also he is not really much of a drinker. When they got back to the room, she kept insisting they have another drink to loosen her up. He remembers it tasting a bit odd from what ever she put in it, and he woke up a day later with a blinding headache, and everything gone. He left to go back home, and emailed me he would never return to Thailand again. Wait a second, maybe he is really lucky he is not brain dead !!!!!

Not much of a drinker but had more to drink anyway, passed out, woke up with blinding headache. Man, I wonder what could do that to someone!? :lol:

Not much of a drinker but had more to drink anyway, passed out, woke up with blinding headache. Man, I wonder what could do that to someone!? :lol:

Uhhhhh.......a drug ? The tip off is waking up 24 hours later. ...Love the doubting Thomas attitude, guess it won't be as amusing if it happened to you..... :-) Hey I wonder if there is a link between being robbed of everything and a drugging ??? Or maybe as you say he drank too much, and had the misfortune of taking home a really evil girl, who decided on the spot to rob him. Hmmm now I am wondering what the odds are of an average Thai girl robbing everything you have if you pass out on your own.......

Indeed 3rd world is a seriously outdated term from the 1950s or so.

I went to school in the 1970s and still learned this term.

These days, Thailand is considered a developing nation or a newly industrialized country. That puts it on the higher tier of former 3rd world countries.

Thailand is also one of the top 2 or 3 rice exporters in the world, so they are more than a production line for American goods.

Thailand is classified as a developing nation and would like to become a newly industrialized country.

And it is the number 1 rice exporter in the world, not "top 2 or 3".

But yes, this is seriously off topic.

Totally.

Come again? He keeps US$ 20K in his room in cash? I wonder what kind of business he is in...

And then he invites two loose girls to the same room?

Doesn't sound like smart enough to even have 20k, let alone in cash. How did he ever get the cash, the enquiring mind wants to know.

I have been drugged, and a personal friend of mine was drugged at Nana Hotel. He made the mistake of taking home a free lance girl. Also he is not really much of a drinker. When they got back to the room, she kept insisting they have another drink to loosen her up. He remembers it tasting a bit odd from what ever she put in it, and he woke up a day later with a blinding headache, and everything gone. He left to go back home, and emailed me he would never return to Thailand again. Wait a second, maybe he is really lucky he is not brain dead !!!!!

I don't want this to sound like I am a Thai apologist but let's look at the facts here: your friend took a protistute off of the street from Soi Nana back to Nana Hotel and got robbed, and because of this he now says that all of Thailand is bad and vows never to return, and I'm assuming badmouths Thailand to anyone that asks. I've lived in Bangkok for more than a couple of years now and I've never been scammed, robbed or ripped by a prostitute or any part of the underbelly of Bangkok because I don't have anything to do with prostitutes or go out and hang with people who are likely to do that to me. I would be certain that if I was the type of person to take street walkers from Soi Nana home then I would experience some kind of trouble at some point. I'm not saying your friend deserved what happened to him but he has to understand the risks that he got himself into and to boycott the whole country because of it is pretty dumb.

I work with a guy who runs a girly bar in Bangkok and when he tells his vile detailed stories about the hookers he's been banging over the weekend or all of the other shit he goes through here he might as well be talking about another city because I don't live in the Bangkok that he is describing, I know it exists and where to find it but that is not part of my life here and I would like to believe that the sleazing underbelly is not the real Bangkok. If you want to be involved with that then it's all fun and games but you have to expect to come acropper at some point, so to choose to do that and then hate the rest of Thailand because you wanted to pay a street walker from one of the sleaziest parts of Bangkok for sex and it backfired, again is just pretty naive and stupid of your friend and actually does sound like he is braindead if that is his type of thinking.

There isn't even a mention of what drug could have done this let alone their finding any poison in his system. Certainly it may have happened but it just seems a bit odd to use a poison that is likely to kill somebody simply to rob them when so many non-lethal drugs are incredibly cheap and available at the local pharmacy. To risk murder charges to steal a few hundred bahts in a plot like this makes little sense especially with all the witnesses in a bar.

Brain damage is not an uncommon side affect of attacks like this. They don't 'poison' people as such. They use anything that will disorient a victim and make him (or her) easy to steal from. Obviously unconscious is the ideal state. Any downers such as valium etc, Rohypnol even ghb and ketamine. The problem is dosage and unscrupulous thieves don't attend the years of classes that anaesthetists do. The resultant over dosing causes coma and lack of blood therefore oxygen to the brain. The brain quickly deteriorates under these circumstances and that is where the damage happens.

Since it is not an uncommon side effect of attacks like this (unproven?) maybe you would care to share some links. I'd like to read some credible stories of drinks being spiked to the point of causing oxygen flow to the brain to be diminished to the point of causing brain damage. My guess is it is actually VERY uncommon in Thailand even though many like to believe spiking of drinks in Thailand is currently a common event. A simple blood test can prove poisoning and doctors will SURELY do all they can to identify a poison to be able to properly treat a person ... buy maybe these uneducated thieves are using some CIA solution to steal a couple thousand baht in what has to be both a very risky and time consuming assault that could lead to a very long prison sentence.

Just to be clear there is ZERO proof the person in the OP had his drink spiked and the lack of any first hand statements from police or medical personal or even the name of the drug used makes this story seem very uncredible.

PS. What isn't that uncommon is alcohol related poisoning that can result in many problems up to death.

Edited by Nisa

Every time I go out and dink too much in Thailand I am poisoned by somebody. I know this to be fact because I wake up feeling like crap the next morning (including very bad headache) and am always missing money. I am always careful with spending money so I know somebody stole it because every time I get drunk much more disappears. When will somebody put an end to this drink poisoning by these Thais and let us smart farangs be safe? blink.gif

Most claims of spiked drinks turn out to be false when someone actually does tests for it, and the person was actually just drunk. Quite possible for a drunk person to have an accident that can cause paralysis.

What a lot of nonsense.

Most claims of spiked drinks turn out to be false when someone actually does tests for it, and the person was actually just drunk. Quite possible for a drunk person to have an accident that can cause paralysis.

Back home I cannot recall the number of times in my life I've heard somebody suspect or believe their drink was spiked because they behaved out of the ordinary the night before. Only real difference is they didn't have a place like TV to go and talk about it where others would encourage this belief out of false feelings of superiority.

Years ago I got plastered and went to a room with a girl. She woke me up hours later saying it was time to go. If instead she stole my money, it would have been easy to say she spiked my drink to help make myself feel better about being an idiot.

What a lot of nonsense.

Indeed.

Since it is not an uncommon side effect of attacks like this (unproven?) maybe you would care to share some links. I'd like to read some credible stories of drinks being spiked to the point of causing oxygen flow to the brain to be diminished to the point of causing brain damage. My guess is it is actually VERY uncommon in Thailand even though many like to believe spiking of drinks in Thailand is currently a common event. A simple blood test can prove poisoning and doctors will SURELY do all they can to identify a poison to be able to properly treat a person ... buy maybe these uneducated thieves are using some CIA solution to steal a couple thousand baht in what has to be both a very risky and time consuming assault that could lead to a very long prison sentence.

Just to be clear there is ZERO proof the person in the OP had his drink spiked and the lack of any first hand statements from police or medical personal or even the name of the drug used makes this story seem very uncredible.

PS. What isn't that uncommon is alcohol related poisoning that can result in many problems up to death.

Seems you prefer to read your own agenda into what I wrote. I didn't say attacks were common. I said brain damage from overdose is. I then explained how that can happen. I shan't post links because I'm sure even someone of your talent can google 'brain damage overdose'.

Seems you prefer to read your own agenda into what I wrote. I didn't say attacks were common. I said brain damage from overdose is. I then explained how that can happen. I shan't post links because I'm sure even someone of your talent can google 'brain damage overdose'.

You wrote (it is right above): "Brain damage is not an uncommon side affect of attacks like this. "

You wrote (it is right above): "Brain damage is not an uncommon side affect of attacks like this. "

Yes I did. here, hold my hand I'll walk you through it. You read that (it is right above) as me saying attacks are common. I didn't say they were. I said that when spiked with the certain types of drugs (not poisons) the effect of overdosing can be brain damage. Are you sure you've never been spiked?

What a lot of nonsense.

It's not nonsense at all, it's taken from blood tests done on people claiming to have been slipped date rape drugs or had their drink spiked

75 Brits go to hospital claiming drink spiking and date rape drug, none test positive (for date rape drug, many test positive for recreational drugs)

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/article-23385868-drug-rape-myth-exposed-as-study-reveals-binge-drinking-is-to-blame.do

97 Australians, none test positive

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/6440589/Date-rape-drink-spiking-an-urban-legend.html

"There is no evidence of widespread use of hypnotics in sexual assault, let alone Rohypnol, despite many attempts to prove the contrary.

During thousands of blood and alcohol tests lots of judgement-impairing compounds were discovered, but they were mostly street drugs or prescription pharmaceuticals taken by the victims themselves, and above all alcohol was the common theme."

It's not impossible that someone is drugged and robbed, but it's unlikely and in the vast majority of cases it is alcohol not drugs slipped in to the drink. Alcohol is what people really need to be careful of. People never want to admit that it was the booze so when something happens they must have been drugged.

What a lot of nonsense.

It's not nonsense at all, it's taken from blood tests done on people claiming to have been slipped date rape drugs or had their drink spiked

75 Brits go to hospital claiming drink spiking and date rape drug, none test positive (for date rape drug, many test positive for recreational drugs)

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/article-23385868-drug-rape-myth-exposed-as-study-reveals-binge-drinking-is-to-blame.do

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/6440589/Date-rape-drink-spiking-an-urban-legend.html

"There is no evidence of widespread use of hypnotics in sexual assault, let alone Rohypnol, despite many attempts to prove the contrary.

During thousands of blood and alcohol tests lots of judgement-impairing compounds were discovered, but they were mostly street drugs or prescription pharmaceuticals taken by the victims themselves, and above all alcohol was the common theme."

It's not impossible that someone is drugged and robbed, but it's unlikely and in the vast majority of cases it is alcohol not drugs slipped in to the drink. Alcohol is what people really need to be careful of. People never want to admit that it was the booze so when something happens they must have been drugged.

Agreed, it's almost trendy and slightly mystical to say that your drink was spiked, especially whilst on holiday in the Far East etc.

What a lot of nonsense.

http://www.thisislon...-is-to-blame.do

http://www.telegraph...ban-legend.html

Do you really think stats or facts will get in the way of what some of these people "need" to believe.