Ford Escape

Can anybody give me the low down on the ford escape?

At the moment Ford have a 0 percent option to buy.

Anyone out there who has one who can let me know how it runs and let me know of any problems with this model.

I know Ford is not as big here as in Europe and the value might not be as good as a Toyota if i resale in the future but i like the style and the size is right.

Cheers

JJP

I've got a 2003 Escape 3.0L which I'm currently trying to sell. Great cars but with new babies, maids, in-laws etc I got a Toyota Fortuner as I need more space.

The Escape is better than the other SUV in it's class, CRV/Rav4 (imported and pricy) Nissan X-Trail.

3.0L V6 give around 200HP so loads of power, and more advanced 4x4 system over it's rivals, sun roof and cruise control not available in the class, 4 airbags, ABS, plus your usual extras. Leg room is good too.

I've had the car for a while, no problems, and plenty of Ford centres around for servicing. They look cool too.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=46468

I've had my Escape since February and am very satisified with it. The dealer in Chiang Mai, near Chang Phuak Gate, jumps through hoops to correct any problems. I had the wheel alignment checked shortly after taking delivery with no charge. The aircon started crapping out when I'd head into the mountains so they recharged it free too. It's not being used as a "city SUV" and the 4WD does get a workout at times. Plenty of ground clearance. I wish the climate control was a little more automatic though. For around 1.4 million, I think it's a good deal.

I now that the Mazda Tribute which is the same car except for the badging and a couple of other bits and pieces is slightly cheaper than the Escape. Purely because its a Mazda (perception = Japanese, even though they are both made in the Philippines on the same production line) will equate to higher/easier resale. I would agree though that in day to day situations, Ford are doing a very good job here - its just they are not very good at getting that message through to second hand buyers, who are still blinkered about Toyota and Honda. So thats why the Honda will be worth far more than the Escape in say 3/5 years time.

Perhaps have a look at the Honda 2.4L CRV - similar price new, but as I say the Honda when you come to sell it, will fly of the driveway, however the Ford will stay there forever and sell at a lower price.

If you look at Whatcar.com, a British magazine, they rate every car on sale in the UK and despite the UK being a very strong market for Ford, they rate the Tribute and Honda higher than the Maveric (Escape name in the UK).

Cheers Guys,

I am very tempted to get it. I am only going for the 2.3 XLS version cos thats as far as my budget will carry me :o

Also whats it like on the old juice. I have been told it likes to drink alot.

Is this true?

Also what about parts. Are they easy to acquire/expensive to buy etc?

I like the other ones like the Honda CRV and the Nissan X trail but the 0 percent is swinging it for me.

The downside is the resale if i decide to sell in a few years and this is making me have second thoughts.

Bloody hel_l I have a headache looking at all the cars in the showrooms.

Who said buying a car was fun.

I want to be sure this time cos i have just got my down payment back from a chevy optra which has given me the same problem from when i first bought it 10 months ago. I must be one of only a few people who has manged to get my 100,000 down back from a car company and they also took the full finance back as well. I was lucky me thinks. I gave them 20 odd chances to fix it but when they gave it back the same problem reoccured. Problems with the petrol tank.

terdsak_12

Have you had any offers on yours and what about 2nd hand car dealers. What prices did they offer ? Sorry for being nosey mate.

Thanks again

JJP

I can only speak for the major dealers in Chiang Mai when I say the Ford dealers seem to be really trying to take market share away from Honda and Toyota and the way they are doing it is through discounts and service. There's a Honda Civic in our family and the response we get from the dealer over any kind of warrantee problem is pretty ho-hum. Their service during normal service intervals is dismal too. The Toyota dealer(s) seem to do a better job and are more responsive than Honda. My V6 does suck up the gas but I burn 91 octane whereas my old Camry required 95, so it might be a push. I don't have any info on the 4 banger. The V6 is quite the little screamer when you get out on the highway. Nice to have that extra power when you're out on a twisty mountain road and need to pass someone.

• 2 weeks later...

Im very impressed with the Escape though the V6 does drink quite a bit especially when you have a lead foot as i do.

Interior is rather plasticy, and i have a pet gripe that the angle of the windscreen and the reflection of the dash in it is a bit distracting while driving, but if thats the only moan i have it cant all be that bad right?

Buy it, you will love it. The CRV is indeed a haridressers car IMHO.

Hi,

I own an Escape XLT V6 / 2004, good car overall but too much thirsty on the downside and a higher tax than a sedan ( I have also a Camry 2.4 Q / 2003 ). However, nobody has really informed about the value depreciation, how it is calculated, which I think is an important issue to share among members here ( I find nearly no subject about this in the entire forum ). I recently estimated the reselling price of my both cars and was quite disappointed to see that “the market price” offers about 30-40% of the full price after 2 years use ( a car about 1.5 mio has a resell price about 800-900,000 THB ). So if there is any expert here, I would really appreciate the enlightenment. On a normal use, how many years do you have to keep your car in order benefit from a reasonable reselling price ?