Tot Fiber

nikster

TOT seems to be offering fiber optic lines now, from 10 - 30 Mbit. Anyone have one? The big deal about it is that it will work up to 20km from the exchange - vs. 4-5 for DSL.

It should bring internet into more remote places.

What I think is probably even more important - maybe there's less potential to screw up with a fiber optic line. Just maybe. I am 3km from the exchange in Pai and it's pretty terrible. Lots of noise on the line. Hasn't always been like this but they screw around with the line every time anyone gets a new connection, and eventually they screw something up. And they'll never bother to come around and fix it, I don't even think they would know how to.

http://translate.google.com/translate?js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&sl=th&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.tot.co.th%2Findex.php%3Foption%3Dcom_linkcontent%26categoryid%3D179%26Itemid%3D205%26lang%3Dth&act=url

Fiber ain't cheap to install (lot more work than just stringing some fiber) and I expect where ever TOT initially deploys fiber it will be to those high population areas and middle-to-high income locations....places where TOT can get the most bang for their baht. I expect most provinces/moobaans/small towns will be living with ADSL for many years to come.

With FTTH/FTTP a network termination device is required, this enables the consumer to access high speed broadband and also make telephone calls. The network termination device requires a power supply. It will be the way of the future but perhaps not in the future in Thailand. It requires a very large capital outlay.

To be successful fibre optic cabling requires installation on a national basis, it replaces the twisted pair copper lines. It can be interfaced with 4G wireless mobile networks to lower costs to remote areas. It has speeds of up to 100Mbits.

Edited by electau

The company I working for has a 10Mpbs/10Mbps Business service with TOT on Fibre on the Amata City industrial estate Rayong we have only had it 2-3 months. Very very fast and reliable except when a car crashed into a pole the fibre was strung from and it broke fixed in a 3-4 hours. Fibre is not in many part of Thailand like in other countries. Not sure about availablity to Consumers yet.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...