Legendary British Farmer Joe Loses Water-Tight 30-Year Lease In Thailand

webfact

Depressing .. but not unique ... actually always had the impression that farang was not allowed to be involved in any kind of farming or agricultural business in general

Be good if they were then you could get 2 litres of decent tasting milk for (1 pound) 49bht, just as you can in England.

Yesss , just made the comparison the other day myself ... milk was around 45 % more expensive here than from where I am from , actually most of the basics are more expensive here except for sugar which is very cheap here ... and veggies do not really look that good either ... so a lot of GOOD farmers from the right places could for sure make a difference .. but that is just a dream ..

There are great veggies if you know where to look. Theres a huge fruit and veg market over the road (Chonburi) that restaurants from Bangkok and Pattaya come to buy from according to the stall holders. All fresh off the fields except the ones on the lazy stall holders stalls too lazy to sell them. Fish fresh out the sea that morning as well. Everything is dirt cheap. However all the supermarkets the fruit and veg is weeks old and at least twice the price.

Dairy products are blooming expensive, but I imagine due to limited demand.

Good that you have a great market over the road .. not so lucky here...and yes fish is okay,

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Look, i hate educating fools, but if a girl takes everything off you, house land etc... here's the trick to get it back, trade with them, they give you your things back and you give them two mobile phones a TV , a Fino and a mirror in return,they will go for it, believe me....:lol::lol::lol::lol:

So many men go to Thailand so as they can get property and live a life at much reduced threat to their saving as would be in their own countries and usually have had bad relationships with women in their homelands so have come to Thailand to find a better mate. I dont see what happens here any different to any other country, Same rip offs,(Wives taking everything) happen in every country. My Thai wife and all my Thai friends are nothing like most of the posters are describing Thais on this thread. Some posters are actually very degrading in their comments about Thais! I am Thinking most of those were not that smart themselves and got burnt somehow and now are painting all Thais with the same brush. To many sour grapes!

The wife was the weak link in the chain. There is something mysterious here. His wife was not devoted to him and he didn't see red flags before? I find it so strange that men past their forties, who would not give a penny to a friend in need, sign away large chunks of wealth to a younger woman whose culture they understand only imperfectly.

Many foreigners come here to Thailand and try to recreate an artificial dreamland, regularly meeting other foreigners in air-conditioned bars that are literally pieces of their own country transported here. They lose touch with the reality, with the country surrounding them, to which their wife belongs. I wonder how close Farmer Joe was to his wife, if he was ever close.

This is true. I was chatting to a Bangkok taxi driver the other day who had just returned from Saudi where he'd been working in a factory for a couple of years and sending over money to his fiance. He came back to find his fiance and the money nowhere to be found. Amounted to three and a half million baht. When I asked him how he felt about it he just said, 'I was stupid.'

It would be refreashing to hear more farangs admit their stupidity rather than become cynical and bitter because they were basically stupid.

Prey tell where Thai taxi drivers can go to work for a couple of years and come out with 3.5m baht saved ? That is around $50,000 each year after all costs. I'd take such tales with a pinch of salt.

Lets say 5 years in Saudi, is sending home 58.000 Baht about 1.800 Dollar (40 B - 1 D) a month is plausible.

The Taxi man lived in Saudi in a camp, free sleep, free eat so I think, or on low costs. and nothing else to do or to spend money on in this not so lively country.

Full plausible!!!

Any farang that puts 22 rai of land in the name of a Thai wife is insane. Do you think she married that old goat for love and companionship ? Thais marry all farang for money...nothing else.

What about farangs marrying Thais for money?

in almost 30years never heard of one. looks like she gobbled up everything and he got the bird.

A 30 year lease is pretty solid, UNLESS, you are leasing from your wife. Before I married my wife, I seriously considered a 30 year lease but decided that if my wife outlives me, and no doubt she will, she would get nothing. Other methods of trying to be safe are equally useless if your wife is involved.

Here in Thailand I actually feel safer as far as my property is concerned. In the US, I lost everything to my ex wife and I do mean everything. At least here, I keep what property I had before I married.

Everything I bought after marriage is in my wife's name and if she throws me out tomorrow, she would keep everything and I would walk away. I wouldn't miss any meals and would still have a roof over my head. (Condo).

I used to work (with no permit!) in one of the largest private school systems in Southeast Asia, so there were many farang men there from all walks of life; to hear the stories over and over again of how they got involved in a similar situation just to get shut down and ripped off was saddening. What was it Thomas Tusser said about a fool and his money?

I'm not a Lawyer but i think this a far better agreement, much cheaper to set up and it's for your life.

Usufruct Agreements in Thailand

Usufruct contracts are governed by sections 1417 to 1428 of the Commercial and Civil Code of Thailand. A usufruct is a right granted by the owner(s) of the land/house in favor of a usufructuary whereby this person has the right to possess, use and enjoy the benefits of an immovable property (section 1417 CCCT). The usufructuary has the right to manage the property (sect 1414 CCCT). It can be on a piece of land, on a house or on both of them.

Your wife can withdraw the usufruct at any time without asking you. The usufruct only keeps you save from your wife's heir.....

fatfather

This is true. I was chatting to a Bangkok taxi driver the other day who had just returned from Saudi where he'd been working in a factory for a couple of years and sending over money to his fiance. He came back to find his fiance and the money nowhere to be found. Amounted to three and a half million baht. When I asked him how he felt about it he just said, 'I was stupid.'

It would be refreashing to hear more farangs admit their stupidity rather than become cynical and bitter because they were basically stupid.

Thais are banned from working in Saudi since one Saudi diplomat "lost" some gold and diamonds in Thailand. So....the taxi drivers story seem scam....

fatfather

The wife was the weak link in the chain. There is something mysterious here. His wife was not devoted to him and he didn't see red flags before? I find it so strange that men past their forties, who would not give a penny to a friend in need, sign away large chunks of wealth to a younger woman whose culture they understand only imperfectly.

Many foreigners come here to Thailand and try to recreate an artificial dreamland, regularly meeting other foreigners in air-conditioned bars that are literally pieces of their own country transported here. They lose touch with the reality, with the country surrounding them, to which their wife belongs. I wonder how close Farmer Joe was to his wife, if he was ever close.

Close enough to father three children.

*rim shot*

T

Stealing happens to everyone here, not just foreigners (could we not call ourselves farangs?). My Thai father-in-law bought a property with a friend many years ago who last year attempted to steal it despite a legal agreement. It is now in court and no one can use the land. Regarding a spouse stealing assets, this can happen in any country. My former wife in America stole money from our bank account several times and disappeared. It is the spouse in Thailand that steals the property, not Thailand. Let's not confuse the two. The wife merely provides the proper authorities the doctored paperwork or a legal reason why she should have it. It depends on the quality of the woman or man. Men steal from their spouse as well. I believe the poster that mentioned a bank loan to buy a house has the right idea. This is what my wife and I do. We both contribute to the mortgage. No one in any country should pay cash for a house and place it in his or her spouse's name. Why do something that ridiculous in a foreign or native country? If I lose out in the end, I reckon I only lose rent money.

Edited by kirk0233

The Thai bashing going on here is unbelievable.

I have a couple of questions to the detractors:

If you live in Thailand but feel the need to rubbish the place and the people endlessly then why do you stay?

If you don't live in Thailand and are not in a relationship with a Thai then why are you here in this forum rubbishing a place and people you know nothing about?

If you have married a beautiful woman 20 or more years younger than you and you think it's because you are a great person then why couldn't you jag a young beauty in your home country?

I am married to a Thai lady 19 years my junior, we presently live in another 3rd world country where I am working at present. I've lived here for nearly 20 years and have seen plenty of blokes who fall hopelessly in love with young girls and then suffer emotionally or financially or both. There is no doubt the vast majority of these types of relationships (ones with a substantial age difference) are based initially on the lady wanting out of a desperate situation, either abject poverty or being subject to routine bashings. Not because they find old men attractive. This happens in all 3rd world countries, it is not unqiue to Thailand. Many of these relationships fail and many prosper. Young blokes have an excuse for being naive, older men don't. Accept the fact that the lady is with you to escape and try to make it work. Most older blokes can tell very quickly, certainly inside a year, if they're being had.

Where I live there is a fairly small Thai community (30 - 40 ladies) comprised almost exclusively of women who were "working" in Thailand and subsequently married a farang client who offered them a permanent way out. They are a highly principled group and their husbands (like myself) are the happiest they have ever been. There are few exceptions. Perhaps it should be pointed out though that these men all have many years of 3rd world country experience.

LIfe is what you make it. Be a realist and be careful. If you're not happy then do something about it, don't sit and bitch and try to make everyone around you miserable too.

If you screwed up, it's your fault, no one else's.

Well said! :jap:

:cheesy: A couple of days ago I read that Thailand was trying to change it's image from being known as the sex captial of the world by eliminating prostitution. It seems to me that their priorities are backwards. Land Fraud, police fraud, attorney fraud. Behind the fluff of a modern infrastructue, sky trains, subways, big malls, etc. It is still a 3rd world country. Corruption here will never go away.

ps

even the new woman priminster is facing charges from the security exchange commision here...ain't that a laugh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:lol::giggle::wacko:

ad infinetum. They can't change and thats the bottom line. There is no ifs ands or buts about it. You have to remember always you are a Foreigner with absolutely no rights.

At least in the western world there is the rule of law. it may not be perfect, but its a dam sight better than what you get here.

I comnpletely agree and Thailand wanted to put forward its own candidate fro IMF position. So they really don t know who they are, or even how far off the mark they are. Thats what makes this country a problem. Because they are living in dream land and think the whole world is like this. But its basically Africa here. Luck we white folks don t get eaten for breakfast.

what a racist load of sh*t

Edited by ozziebloke

One cannot win from the Mafia. Charoen Pokhand, major sponsor of the Democrat Party and Yellow Shirt and partly to blame for the Southern Unrest is in bed with criminals like Suthep. Though investing themselves heavily abroad these people are anti competitive and greedy. This guy simply joins the large army of poor Thai farmers and People who have lost their land and access to the sea because of CP. I wonder however how this man could run a farm in the first place. Farming is one of those professions that foreigners are officially not allowed to do. Maybe he lost his mojo when he lost his money and could no longer pay the police, prosecutors and upstanding Thai judges?

Thailand is a good country to retire. If you like to do business, opt for Cambodia, Malaysia, Singapore, Vietnam or even China. You might have a tiny chance that you will find the law on your side there.

"The Charoen Pokphand Group was the major contributor to the Thais love Thais party and still maintain a close relationship with the former Prime Minister Thaksin. The founder of the Charoen Pokphand Group is under the investigation of the allegation of corruption in a rubber tree project."

"General Prem Tinsulanonda was Chief Advisor to the CP Group. In early 2007, he resigned from his position in order to distance himself from a military junta-led corruption investigation of the CP group. The investigation concerned alleged bid rigging in a para rubber saplings supply contract granted during the Thaksin government while Prem had held his position at the Group".

All of the major parties attract funding from businesses and wealthy individuals so this is a non-issue. The CP group along with the other companies donating to the Democrats are open about their sponsorship whereas some of the Pheu Thai donators insist on hiding the fact that they are supporting Pheu Thai - even threatening to withdraw their funding if they are named!!!

I nearly forgot to add - Thaksin ADMITS to bungling their policies on the Southern unrest - it's a shame that he hasn't admitted failings in all his other disastrous policies in virtually every area conceivable!!!

Edited by SICHONSTEVE

If you live in Thailand but feel the need to rubbish the place and the people endlessly then why do you stay?

If you don't live in Thailand and are not in a relationship with a Thai then why are you here in this forum rubbishing a place and people you know nothing about?

If you have married a beautiful woman 20 or more years younger than you and you think it's because you are a great person then why couldn't you jag a young beauty in your home country?

I am married to a Thai lady 19 years my junior, we presently live in another 3rd world country where I am working at present. I've lived here for nearly 20 years and have seen plenty of blokes who fall hopelessly in love with young girls and then suffer emotionally or financially or both. There is no doubt the vast majority of these types of relationships (ones with a substantial age difference) are based initially on the lady wanting out of a desperate situation, either abject poverty or being subject to routine bashings. Not because they find old men attractive. This happens in all 3rd world countries, it is not unqiue to Thailand. Many of these relationships fail and many prosper. Young blokes have an excuse for being naive, older men don't. Accept the fact that the lady is with you to escape and try to make it work. Most older blokes can tell very quickly, certainly inside a year, if they're being had.

Where I live there is a fairly small Thai community (30 - 40 ladies) comprised almost exclusively of women who were "working" in Thailand and subsequently married a farang client who offered them a permanent way out. They are a highly principled group and their husbands (like myself) are the happiest they have ever been. There are few exceptions. Perhaps it should be pointed out though that these men all have many years of 3rd world country experience.

LIfe is what you make it. Be a realist and be careful. If you're not happy then do something about it, don't sit and bitch and try to make everyone around you miserable too.

Well said! :jap:

here here :)

:cheesy: A couple of days ago I read that Thailand was trying to change it's image from being known as the sex captial of the world by eliminating prostitution. It seems to me that their priorities are backwards. Land Fraud, police fraud, attorney fraud. Behind the fluff of a modern infrastructue, sky trains, subways, big malls, etc. It is still a 3rd world country. Corruption here will never go away.

ps

even the new woman priminster is facing charges from the security exchange commision here...ain't that a laugh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:lol::giggle::wacko:

ad infinetum. They can't change and thats the bottom line. There is no ifs ands or buts about it. You have to remember always you are a Foreigner with absolutely no rights.

At least in the western world there is the rule of law. it may not be perfect, but its a dam sight better than what you get here.

I comnpletely agree and Thailand wanted to put forward its own candidate fro IMF position. So they really don t know who they are, or even how far off the mark they are. Thats what makes this country a problem. Because they are living in dream land and think the whole world is like this. But its basically Africa here. Luck we white folks don t get eaten for breakfast.

what a racist load of sh*t

Yes!! true garbage. Many of the Thai's laws are absurd and incomprehendible, but they are worried about large swathes of Thailand falling into the hands of Western businesses and tend to be, admittedly, over-protective of this in their legislature. I would like to be the owner of our land and property but cannot, so I must abide by their laws on this issue even though I don't like it.

If anyone cannot accept these laws then they should return to their country of origin.

Comparing Thailand to Africa is rediculous but there again. most of the trash you write is also rediculous and pathetic to boot!!!!

Has anybody guesstimated the amount of money coming in on these one way scams?

Going by the stories here from just a few posters, and more to come out soon, I would say of the order of a billion ß a month -

Do you know what a billion is??? If you do, then you are off your head. If you don't, you shouldn't use the word!!!!!:blink:

Edited by SICHONSTEVE

Has anybody guesstimated the amount of money coming in on these one way scams?

Going by the stories here from just a few posters, and more to come out soon, I would say of the order of a billion ß a month -

Can I ask what you think is the scam?

All I can see is a guy deciding to buy some land in Thialand, signing an affidavit written in English at the land office, in which he swears he has no claim or interest in the money or the land being purchased by it. He then signs a lease agreement with his wife knowing that agreements between husband and wives are not enforceable in many countries (including Thailand) and then when the marriage goes south, he is amazed when he has no claim on the land and no enforceable lease

The only scam I can see is the farang trying to scam the government in bypassing the law which says an foreigner cannot own land.

Am I missing something?

TH

Emm. 'If you screwed up its your fault, no one elses." First of all this is a typical story of what can happen in Thailand. It is certainly not written to bring all the Thai bashers out of the wood-work, but that is something of an inevitability, because of the number of bitter people out there.

The point is, even though Mr.Stanyer made mistakes, he thought (1) Thai law would protect him and he would at least get 50 per cent of the assets from his marriage back and (2) he could rely on the honesty of lawyers one of whom he had known for 25 years.

No one could have anticipated that documents could be altered and the perpretrators could to easily get away with it. Or is it your assertion that he should have anticipated that, which is fair enough.

Those who read the story of Colin Vard in Phuket who lost not one but SIX properties will have known this could only have been by using false papers and sorting out senior police, legal, and land officers figures.

If you meant to say however if you screwed up its your own fault because dishonesty is going to hit you in the face at every level in Thailand, then that would be a more accurate assessment.

It may be that your group of 'highly principled' ex-pat husbands and Thai wives (most of whom you say were former working girls) are living happily because they are indeed in a foreign third world country and the inevitable few do not have the wherewithal to do anything else.

I certainly know of many marriages, which while apparently successful abroad, ended up with the husband being cleaned up when he returned to Thailand with his wife.

Edited by andrewdrummond

Emm. 'If you screwed up its your fault, no one elses." First of all this is a typical story of what can happen in Thailand. It is certainly not written to bring all the Thai bashers out of the wood-work, but that is something of an inevitability, because of the number of bitter people out there.

The point is, even though Mr.Stanyer made mistakes, he thought (1) Thai law would protect him and he would at least get 50 per cent of the assets from his marriage back and (2) he could rely on the honesty of lawyers one of whom he had known for 25 years.

No one could have anticipated that documents could be altered and the perpretrators could to easily get away with it. Or is it your assertion that he should have anticipated that, which is fair enough.

Those who read the story of Colin Vard in Phuket who lost not one but SIX properties will have known this could only have been by using false papers and sorting out senior police, legal, and land officers figures.

If you meant to say however if you screwed up its your own fault because dishonesty is going to hit you in the face at every level in Thailand, then that would be a more accurate assessment.

It may be that your group of 'highly principled' ex-pat husbands and Thai wives (most of whom you say were former working girls) are living happily because they are indeed in a foreign third world country and the inevitable few do not have the wherewithal to do anything else.

I certainly know of many marriages, which while apparently successful abroad, ended up with the husband being cleaned up when he returned to Thailand with his wife.

Did Farmer Joe sign the affidavit when his wife registered the land? Did you ask him that ?

If he did sign it, what did he think it meant to sign a document that says he has no claim to the land?

Did he know that a lease between husband and wife is not enforceable? You keep mentioning changing the lease, what specifically was changed? Seems they would not need to change anything, it is not a legally binding contract anyway.

TH

Any farang that puts 22 rai of land in the name of a Thai wife is insane. Do you think she married that old goat for love and companionship ? Thais marry all farang for money...nothing else.

What a depressing person and comment. I married my Thai Wife six years ago and bought land through a company. We (and I mean WE) decided to build houses to lease on the land, to generate a bit of income, which we did and that little venture has been highly successful, so much so, we bought two more houses. All this I transfered to my Wife's name. Because leasing houses is so, not work intensive, also because my wife is relatively young (coming 40 next year, but sh-sh-sh, that's not for publication) and active, she said she would like to work so that she personally is making a financial contribution to our life style, with the aim of buying more land and houses and then to travel the World together in about 5 years time. She is one of the kindest and most considerate persons I have had the privilege to meet and is absolutely stunning. I am sure there are many men from foreign countries who are in the same happy ecstatic state that I am in, who see comments like this, groan and just move on. You clearly dislike the Country and the People, so why the hell are you still here? Yes it has it failings, but the positives far outweigh the negatives in so far as I am concerned, which is why I am here. The only insane person here my friend is yourself!:jap:

G'day Humphrey,

It would be interesting to hear more of your take about life and business opportunities in Vietnam as they stand now. I had a good mate (OZ SAS - now AWOL from this khaki coil) who lost everything he invested in Vietnam despite winning a 'land and house' court case against 'his loved one' plus the Vietnamese government 'guaranteeing the investment' he made in that country. He had to flee in the dead of night to a 'safe house' and was then escorted onto a flight back to OZ by the white mice in Saigon. Turned out that his beloved was the girlfriend of the local mafia boss in ... a 'Southern Beach Resort (CSJ)'. She was also the daughter of a fairly high-up C party official, decorated personally by HCM - Out for a duck in every innings. He got home in time to remarry his OZ wife (giving her access to his mil. pension) and to die - a 2 packs a day man. Keep away from the beach-front bar closest to the 'Saigon - Cap St. Jacque' fast boat jetty.

CepheidVariable

Did Farmer Joe sign the affidavit when his wife registered the land? Did you ask him that ?

If he did sign it, what did he think it meant to sign a document that says he has no claim to the land?

Did he know that a lease between husband and wife is not enforceable? You keep mentioning changing the lease, what specifically was changed? Seems they would not need to change anything, it is not a legally binding contract anyway.

TH

He has a claim to the proceeds of the land (50 per cent) which he is pursuing through the courts.

He is also pursuing criminal charges in relation to a vehicle which was sold while on on HP.

His wife was an ex-wife by the time he got the lease to try and protect his last six rai of land.

Edited by andrewdrummond

The words water-tight lease and Thailand just don't compute. I also know from experience that when the wife wanted to buy land in her own name I had to sign a declaration that I had no claim on the land, I love my wife very much and trust her, but I wouldn't buy land here myself on principle as by doing so is condoning the discriminatory and frankly racist property laws that exist here.

What a depressing person and comment. I married my Thai Wife six years ago and bought land through a company. We (and I mean WE) decided to build houses to lease on the land, to generate a bit of income, which we did and that little venture has been highly successful, so much so, we bought two more houses. All this I transfered to my Wife's name. Because leasing houses is so, not work intensive, also because my wife is relatively young (coming 40 next year, but sh-sh-sh, that's not for publication) and active, she said she would like to work so that she personally is making a financial contribution to our life style, with the aim of buying more land and houses and then to travel the World together in about 5 years time. She is one of the kindest and most considerate persons I have had the privilege to meet and is absolutely stunning. I am sure there are many men from foreign countries who are in the same happy ecstatic state that I am in, who see comments like this, groan and just move on. You clearly dislike the Country and the People, so why the hell are you still here? Yes it has it failings, but the positives far outweigh the negatives in so far as I am concerned, which is why I am here. The only insane person here my friend is yourself!:jap:

Cheers :) robertson468 I am one of those ecstatic people much in love with my wife !!! we have been together for 6 years and i truly have never met such a beauttiful lady inside and out anywhere else. We are a similiar age only 4 years between us and we met elswhere not in Thailand. And like you say i am usually one who just reads and groans and just moves on when i read derogatory comments about Thailand and Thai people, But lately its getting difficult to read any threads without the negators getting on and just bashing anything about Thailand and Thai people. As too for the reason i have started having a bit of a say. All i can ask is that if you disagree with something regards the news threads here, Have your say and reason but stop degrading Thailand and the Thai people. Because your degrading my wife and my friends.

Thanks