Flash Cards

dean999

Does anyone know where I can get the flash cards that are in this video?
I would like to buy them online and get them delivered to Belgium or the UK if possible. If not, i'll have to wait till December when i'm back in Thailand.
Thank you in advance for any help.
:jap:

If you're planning use them to learn Thai I'd say don't bother.

Things like this are only useful for Thai kids learning in a school as all they will so is familiarise you with the Thai consonants.

It would be far better for you to use a proper system to learn reading Thai.

I'd say try ethai or similar.

Perhaps the OP only wants to use them to familiarise himself/herself with Thai consonants?

I have nearly learn't all the consonants. I want to use them to learn which class they fall in (High, mid, low). Plus i want to use them to keep practicing and keeping them fresh in my mind, rather than keep writing them down.

If you're planning use them to learn Thai I'd say don't bother.

Things like this are only useful for Thai kids learning in a school as all they will so is familiarise you with the Thai consonants.

:o

Perhaps the OP only wants to use them to familiarise himself/herself with Thai consonants?

I have nearly learn't all the consonants. I want to use them to learn which class they fall in (High, mid, low). Plus i want to use them to keep practicing and keeping them fresh in my mind, rather than keep writing them down.

Good idea I reckon :)

Good idea I reckon :)

I need to keep practicing them mixed up. I have been learning from a chart, with all the consonants in the correct order. I can say them no problem. But as soon as i get the wife to write one down and i have to say it, i start to struggle. I need to get used to them all jumbled up. The cards are a good way of quickly shuffling and getting a new combination.

Learning the consonants like kids in schools is NOT the way to learn the Thai reading/writing system for non native speakers.

There is a system which is nice and logical which you are far better off following

Ignore the wife, get yourself a good "Teach Yourself" book if you can't find lessons and do it properly!

You'll be glad you did.

Edited by HeavyDrinker

@OP

In answer to your question, you should be able to get both sets, consonants and vowels, at Asia Books. The one in CM has them so I would bet that any of the other branches do as well.

David

Thank you.

I think what i'm going to do is, get my step daughter to buy them for me and send them. She's in Thailand at the mo and it'll be quicker for her to do it. Plus she can buy me some more kids learning books. They are very helpfull.

Learning the consonants like kids in schools is NOT the way to learn the Thai reading/writing system for non native speakers.

There is a system which is nice and logical which you are far better off following

Ignore the wife, get yourself a good "Teach Yourself" book if you can't find lessons and do it properly!

You'll be glad you did.

Thanks for the advice, but what book are you on about. Or what is this system you talk of.

I always recommend Teach Yourself Thai by David Smyth published by Hodder and Stoughton which is widely available.

There are several similar around but for me this is the least complicated.

The book's chapters have a language section first followed by a script section which you work through in stages.

It's well laid out, user friendly and most of all very logically ordered.

The "system" i.e. how the Thai script "works", will become clear to you as soon as you start to learn.

There is no substitute for learning "properly".

You wouldn't believe the number of people who I have known who have tried to learn by memorising the consonants off a wall-chart (or similar) thinking that it works the same way as English does. It doesn't!

Good luck and don't be afraid to use this forum for help. There are some incredibly knowledgeable people here who are always happy to help.

I always recommend Teach Yourself Thai by David Smyth published by Hodder and Stoughton which is widely available.

There are several similar around but for me this is the least complicated.

The book's chapters have a language section first followed by a script section which you work through in stages.

It's well laid out, user friendly and most of all very logically ordered.

The "system" i.e. how the Thai script "works", will become clear to you as soon as you start to learn.

There is no substitute for learning "properly".

You wouldn't believe the number of people who I have known who have tried to learn by memorising the consonants off a wall-chart (or similar) thinking that it works the same way as English does. It doesn't!

Good luck and don't be afraid to use this forum for help. There are some incredibly knowledgeable people here who are always happy to help.

Thank you very much for that.

I will hunt the book you recommended down.

:jap:

Come on, you can't completely write off the usefulness the flash cards, surely? Ok, they won't teach you how to read Thai in one fell swoop, but they'll certainly get you a step closer. A pack of flash cards fit nicely into your pocket/bag, can be whipped out, shuffled and run through, whenever you have a spare minute. Find a willing Thai to correct your mistakes, and you're laughing.

I need to keep practicing them mixed up. I have been learning from a chart, with all the consonants in the correct order. I can say them no problem. But as soon as i get the wife to write one down and i have to say it, i start to struggle. I need to get used to them all jumbled up. The cards are a good way of quickly shuffling and getting a new combination.

Exactly, and no book will allow you to do this.

My advice - get the flash cards AND the book. They'll probably complement each other nicely.

Come on, you can't completely write off the usefulness the flash cards, surely? Ok, they won't teach you how to read Thai in one fell swoop, but they'll certainly get you a step closer. A pack of flash cards fit nicely into your pocket/bag, can be whipped out, shuffled and run through, whenever you have a spare minute. Find a willing Thai to correct your mistakes, and you're laughing.

Yes I can.

I've been learning the language for 20 years now (and it is an ongoing process) but the only way for a non native learner is to learn how the script works,.

I have sat in so many kitchens while friends proudly read out "Gor Gai" etc but dude it's not the real deal. I ask them to read a full word and they are <deleted>!

Yes I write it off.

Utterly and totally.

My advice - get the flash cards AND the book. They'll probably complement each other nicely.

correct, they are definitly a helpful tool.

you can order them online at www.lannainnovation.com or www.howtolearnthai.com, in shops they are 250 THB each set

understanding tone classes is essential for further learning progress

Yes I can.

I've been learning the language for 20 years now (and it is an ongoing process) but the only way for a non native learner is to learn how the script works,.

I have sat in so many kitchens while friends proudly read out "Gor Gai" etc but dude it's not the real deal. I ask them to read a full word and they are <deleted>!

Yes I write it off.

Utterly and totally.

And during your many years of language learning have you come to realise that people differ in their preferred ways of learning? There's no silver bullet.

Of course you need to learn the system, but in order to do so you also need to learn the characters. You can't learn all the characters 'on the job'.

Everyone knows ก!

Indeed however just learning the characters like that is just not the way to go about it.

Far better to learn via a structured method than just learn ก ไก่ ฯลฯ off hand.

Its quite easy to confuse me, so bear with me.

I thought if i learn't the consonants first and then moved on to the Sara's (แ, า ect). I could then learn the structure. I.E, live / dead syllables. Is this right or is there a different way of learning?

There is a far more structured way to learning it Dean.

You need to learn things like Consonant Class, Live and Dead syllable endings, Vowel Length and so on.

Just learning the Consonants with flashcards is pointless. You may as well get stuck into a good course book and learn them that way.

There are many many different ways of learning.

At some point you will have to know what the consonants and vowels are, usually the first point, or you won't be able to read anything!

I've heard all kinds of different advice about which way to learn, in the end it's up to you to choose what works best for you.

Whilst ONLY learning what the consonants/vowels are will not be all that useful, doing so combined with other resources, like the one heavydrinker has recommended, will get you started.

He has said it's a waste of time learning with the flash cards, as it will only give you the names of the letters. This is true to a certain extent, if you were only to do that, it would be as useful as knowing 'a b c...' without knowing how those symbols combine to make words and how to sound them out.

Most people who have posted on here say that they have used a number of different methods, some have worked (for them) others haven't appeared to have 'stuck' in their minds.

Once you get started you'll find your way :) I started with a video of the consonants/vowels on my phone, at the same time I was reading Thai for beginners (Boomsan Becker) and on-line resources, of which there are many.

Now I need to improve my vocabulary and sentence structuring. It's an ongoing thing and no one way can be said to be 'the right way' for everyone.

There are many many different ways of learning.

At some point you will have to know what the consonants and vowels are, usually the first point, or you won't be able to read anything!

I've heard all kinds of different advice about which way to learn, in the end it's up to you to choose what works best for you.

Whilst ONLY learning what the consonants/vowels are will not be all that useful, doing so combined with other resources, like the one heavydrinker has recommended, will get you started.

He has said it's a waste of time learning with the flash cards, as it will only give you the names of the letters. This is true to a certain extent, if you were only to do that, it would be as useful as knowing 'a b c...' without knowing how those symbols combine to make words and how to sound them out.

Most people who have posted on here say that they have used a number of different methods, some have worked (for them) others haven't appeared to have 'stuck' in their minds.

Once you get started you'll find your way :) I started with a video of the consonants/vowels on my phone, at the same time I was reading Thai for beginners (Boomsan Becker) and on-line resources, of which there are many.

Now I need to improve my vocabulary and sentence structuring. It's an ongoing thing and no one way can be said to be 'the right way' for everyone.

I think people are getting confused here. I have never said i am only going to learn consonants / vowels. I was just going to use the cards to keep practicing the consonants and the class (high, mid, low). Because i'm still very rusty with them, i just wanted to keep practicing to get them firmly stuck. If you know what i mean.

I know there is a lot more to reading / writing Thai than just learning the consonants. Once i was happy i was going to move on to sentence structure and the like. I have only been learning to read / write for just over a month.

Thank you so far for all your help and advice. :jap:

'ere.... Have a go on my hi-tech, patented* vocabulary randomiser, specially modified for you to do consonants on.

Needs microsoft excel (it might work in openoffice, I haven't tried). The thai should work in Arial font. Change it to M1cro$oft Sans Serif if not.

There some notes on how to use it inside. Basically, you go to either the thai or english tabs and think (or write on a piece of paper) the answers for the prompt on each line. Then click and drag your mouse over column C to reveal the answers.

Press control and enter to 'shuffle the pack'.

I use it for testing myself on new vocab, but it might be useful for you on the letters, too.

HTH

* not hi-tech, not patented

Vocab randomiser consonants.xls

'ere.... Have a go on my hi-tech, patented* vocabulary randomiser, specially modified for you to do consonants on.

Needs microsoft excel (it might work in openoffice, I haven't tried). The thai should work in Arial font. Change it to M1cro$oft Sans Serif if not.

There some notes on how to use it inside. Basically, you go to either the thai or english tabs and think (or write on a piece of paper) the answers for the prompt on each line. Then click and drag your mouse over column C to reveal the answers.

Press control and enter to 'shuffle the pack'.

I use it for testing myself on new vocab, but it might be useful for you on the letters, too.

HTH

* not hi-tech, not patented

Thank you for that. Very good. :jap: