Cashiers Checks/ Exchange

I went to the bank today to get some cashiers checks for my trip to thai next week. The lady at wells fargo told me they no longer carry them because many places are not accepting them any longer do to fraud problems. She said everyone uses cards now. Has anyone else had problems with cashiers checks and exchanging them for baht in thai. Is the card the safest way to exchange now?

Cards are more convenient-just watch the charges. Plenty of topics about where to get the best rate.

The last time I used a travellers cheque here was in 95, put them in my golf bag, only to have my caddy help himself to half of them.

I travel quite frequently, and haven't used TCs in a long time. Fewer and fewer places are accepting them. Even the small bank in my Mom's home town has started charging a lot of money to issue them. ATMs are probably the best bet....they are pretty much everywhere now.

Let's move this over to the banking forum for some more input. ;)

If you use an ATM in Thailand the charge is 150 bts a time, you can avoid this by going into the bank with your card and passport and do the transaction inside at a desk with a person, it is also safer. banking hours are 830am-330 pm. Thats what I do and I have no problems, the bank told me to do this. Just see when is the least busy time to go.

Many American banks are now issuing Chip and PIN cards to their customers who travel or live abroad. This is by far the most secure way to move small amounts as it is impossible to "Skim" a card with a Chip. So please ask Wells Fargo if they have this as an option for your ATM card and Credit Card. Many US people now run into problems, particularly in Europe, where they cannot use their ATM and Credit Cards as the old magstrip is considered to be totally unacceptable in terms of security. So the US banks have finally wised up an started to offer this.

For larger amounts please use SWIFT, preferably via our New York branch :jap: