Tablet Computers: Kids Risk Exposure To 'Improper' Material

webfact

I think a lot of the remarks here are valid. Infrastructure, teachers to be taught, etc., etc.

Still many remarks seem to be made with a Western view on schools and homes. In Thailand the environment can be somewhat less. Schools maybe 'open', ceiling fans, shaky power supply. Homes may be wooden on poles, dusty, leaky, occasional flooding. Not really the environment you'd expect any delicate tool to survive for long.

I fear that these tablet computers will quickly become nothing more than toys for the Thai boy and girls. Certainly, the Thai education system needs a lot of help to make it effective, and perhaps a technological approach is the way to go, but it sounds too much like this is another typically rushed Thai government plan that has not been thought through.

To see if it's a reasonable plan before going full steam ahead, It would be logical to try this as a small pilot program in one of the areas where introducing this type of technology would thought to be difficult. There have been numerous examples of Thai laws and policy changes that have been just downright embarrassing because they weren't thought through in the first place, but Thais never seem to learn from their mistakes.

A simple device without wifi/ Internet may be the best option, where e-materials for courses and cross reference can be accessed via SD card is used..... After each course, SD's could be replaced with new material as necessary.

Why even give web access?

(1) And how are you going to put a keyboard logger on a tablet with a virtual keyboard and how do you set search to safe on Android (honest question as i do not think the browsers have this feature)

(2) I did read the post properly. Your computer literate (good for you) but the vast majority of Thai parents are not. So the government will have to put in safeguards.

(2 )Personally i think this is a flawed project from the beginning. And IF they really want computers for education they should look again at the OLPC program. A computer designed for kids with infrastructure background and service. They can connect to the Internet or to dedicated school servers. Much safer and better idea. Also they have been used in limited numbers here in Thailand since 2007.

Question 1:

Answer to your question the same as you. I don't know, however the kids notepads and their home P.C. is monitored as I stated "keyboard loggers and safe search''.

Question 2:

My apologies sir, You caught me before my morning coffee and I'm a crabby old git till my morning coffee, Victor Meldrew lives!!!

Question 3:

In total agreement with you,along with the fact that responsible parenting is about as rare as hens teeth in Thailand this project in my view is on a par with herding cats. However I am sure that there are some big money pits out there for this scheme. Hence the allure of it for the vested interests and their retirement pensions or beach side condo for the " brokers.".

ok sorry if i called you any names :jap:

I fear that these tablet computers will quickly become nothing more than toys for the Thai boy and girls. Certainly, the Thai education system needs a lot of help to make it effective, and perhaps a technological approach is the way to go, but it sounds too much like this is another typically rushed Thai government plan that has not been thought through.

To see if it's a reasonable plan before going full steam ahead, It would be logical to try this as a small pilot program in one of the areas where introducing this type of technology would thought to be difficult. There have been numerous examples of Thai laws and policy changes that have been just downright embarrassing because they weren't thought through in the first place, but Thais never seem to learn from their mistakes.

A simple device without wifi/ Internet may be the best option, where e-materials for courses and cross reference can be accessed via SD card is used..... After each course, SD's could be replaced with new material as necessary.

One of the advantages of e-materials is that they can have direct internet links built in and instant dictionary access etc. That requires wi-fi or some such connection. To remove it limits learning potential

I think the biggest problem with those pointing out potential misuse, bad influences/habits, potential problems etc, realize that those they are trying to control are potentially much more clever/knowledgeable than they are. You have to be smarter than the rat to build a good trap.

One of the advantages of e-materials is that they can have direct internet links built in and instant dictionary access etc. That requires wi-fi or some such connection. To remove it limits learning potential

Not really.. it could be a wifi link to a school server NOT to the WWW.

As in Peru's OLPC scheme. Now there is a country that thought about what they wanted and just got on with it (with the help of OLPC.. Not that Thailand need falang help of course) :whistling:

http://one.laptop.org/

By the way this tablet pc scheme has been talked about A LOT in other threads..

Edited by thaicbr

In all honesty, do we really believe that this one will get of the ground as well, I remember this lame promise was made years back by the "good guy"

You'll probably find they'll only be made available the more "influential" schools, if at all.

Watch this space.

Discussion group urges blocks to inappropriate use Before it begins handing out free tablet computers to school children, the government should ensure its ability to effectively block students' access to inappropriate material on the Internet, a discussion group urged yesterday.

Did anyone else notice that the "discussion group" in this article is never named/identified?

The Nation, and FUD, FUD, FUD, ...

Forget it - this is a non-issue. Standard tools will be used to protect the kids and that will be good enough.

Let's get on with taking care of the kids and their education.

Did anyone else notice that the "discussion group" in this article is never named/identified?

The Nation, and FUD, FUD, FUD, ...

Forget it - this is a non-issue. Standard tools will be used to protect the kids and that will be good enough.

Let's get on with taking care of the kids and their education.

Standard tools, for the tablets you mean?

Indeed, let's get on with taking care of the kids and their education. Especially let's continue to improve the current system, curriculum, etc., while in the mean time someone describes very clearly what is needed in materiel, infrastructure, software, teacher training, etc., to be able to usefully introduce tablets for primary school students :ermm:

If they can't get the basics of education right, this scheme is only going to serve to enrich those who are behind it.

Quite right- This scheme has corruption written all over it. Nothing to do with the education of children. Follow the money.

Let's see, this must be the problem too with 3G. Having access to 3G risk exposure to improper material. That is why the Thai authorities are momentarily in the process of approving the "fax". It takes a few years but it is really to protect the children. In the meantime the kids can go to a bookstore and buy magazines full of maimed people. can view soaps where adults learn boys to rape the girls they like but not can get, learn them how to beat up their wives and learn girls how to become a bitch. The old guard should be ignored totally. Just say YEs and give them the finger.

I'll believe it when I see it, this will be in a few hi-so Bangkok schools for a couple of photo opportunities and the rest of the money will be stolen.

We use interactive whiteboards at our school and have our own well equipped computer room, and I regular use an ipad connected to the projector to deliver presentations and get the kids up for interactive apps. I think they would be far better off in trying to give all schools the same equipment, I just don't really see the benefit in tablets as a classroom teaching tool. The tablets will be some third rate piece of crap that will be broken within weeks so back to the chalkboardlaugh.gif

Also another key factor they seem to have missed out is that most Thai teachers <except although sometimes including IT teachers> have no idea how to use computers.

As for the main point, kids will always try and find a way to look at dirty pictures or play sex games, however in our computer room we are able to view each students screen on the teachers computer - any student caught gets their computer frozen for the remainder of the class......that works :D

Sirichai said he was worried about children's health, as research in foreign countries had found that game addiction could lead to unexplained somatic complaints. His own research found game addiction also caused obesity in children.

"The policy to distribute the tablets to Prathom 1 students is likely to worsen their intelligence, health and behaviour if the government is unable to control the risk factors," he said. "Prathom 1 students cannot clearly identify what is right or wrong, or what they should or should not do. We should not allow children that are too young be exposed to improper programmes because this will result in a negative, rather than positive, impact on them."

Well...it is not that kids in this country do not already have access to internet ... internet cafes with loads of games are all over the country and they are being used ... !

It is not the Government job to tell kids what is right or wrong nor is it the job of the schools or teachers for that matter ... it is the parents responsibility, if they do their job then everything will be fine and the kids will become valuable citizen of society later in life.

I disagree with your last statement :

1. If it's not the governements responsibility to tell kids what's wrong or right, why do they create this problem for everyone including themselves as the cost of this programe is not limited to supplying the tablets, but the infrustructure that opperates this idea.

2. It IS the teachers job as that is what they get paid to do.

3. I don't know if you have noticed that 50% of the parents in this country are not living at home, they have to work elswere to get enough money for the rest of the family to survive. It is normaly the grand-parents that look after the children, and they don't know much other than how to collect food from Nature and talking bull about the neighbours.

4. In regards to a precvous post. Yes, my two " monkeys" aged 8 and 12 are sort of computer literate, but I guarantee you they will drop at least on tablet in the frst month.

Can't wait to see the outcome of this joke.

Is this idea of giving kiddies a tablet used elsewhere?

I've never heard of such from developed nations where education is thought to be important. If they don't think it's worthwhile, why does Thailand want to do this. Here, education is rightly viewed as poor. Do the rulers want to make it poorer?

If they want a good education system, copy a country that's got one. Don't introduce silly schemes that hardly any of the teaching staff can teach and the infra-structure for them to be effective does not exist.

"It is not the Government job to tell kids what is right or wrong"

Then why is sex, drinking and certain movies illegal for youngsters. Also, isn't there a law against kiddies being in net cafes after a certain time/

Several countries plan on moving their education systems to the us of e-book/e--material. That will mean using readers/tabs/smart devices. Korea plans on going paperless by 2015 and has already experimented with elementary students. Some US states have similar but less bold plans. It is going to be the future for education texts as advantages outweigh disadvantages although the publishing industry may fight hard.

If Thailand has the text digitized then the tab scheme makes a lot of sense as there really isnt any need to go through all the stages others have when you can jump straight there. However, a few months ago Asia Books stated that although they had all their English Language books digitized that at the moment there were technical issues relating to Thai fonts and e-readers that needed to be overcome. I'm sure that cant be far off and will likely be accelerated by government announcments of tab introduction.

A lot of people seem to miss that the tab as issued in Thailand although having a lot of potential and far more than say a kindle is really going to be used initially as a text accessing/reading device and it isnt much change in that way.

"English Language books" digitized ? Would love to see the outcome of that.

When is that going to happen ? We don't even have 3G yet. The GPRS only work half ok between 8 and 9 am.

The type of tablet proposed was not the latest Apple or Samsung model..... Who mentioned anything about even it having an Internet connection, either?

Well said

and at the price who mentioned it working for more than a day. Is the Shinawarta family involved in the company supplying the tablets?

The type of tablet proposed was not the latest Apple or Samsung model..... Who mentioned anything about even it having an Internet connection, either?

Well said

and at the price who mentioned it working for more than a day. Is the Shinawarta family involved in the company supplying the tablets?

I'm too lazy to search for it, but I distincly remember that while on the campaign trail. there was a photo with Ms. Yingluck proudly showing a tablet, a tablet really looking like an iPAD.

It has been suggested that book, homework, etc., etc. could be upload to and downloaded from the school's computer. Wi-Fi has been suggested as communication link. It's easy to use the same base Wi-Fi capability to connect to Wi-Fi points which allow Internet access. Don't know what the latests is on 'free Wi-Fi for all', one of the Pheu Thai promises, but putting all together:

an iPAD with Wi-Fi and free W-Fi access everywhere

In all honesty, do we really believe that this one will get of the ground as well, I remember this lame promise was made years back by the "good guy"

You'll probably find they'll only be made available the more "influential" schools, if at all.

Watch this space.

I tend to agree with you.

In reading the posts so far I have noted that most people do not understand the plan. They are attributing things to it that were not meant to be.

The whole plan was dreamed up with one and only one end in mind. That being to get a vote for the PT. It worked.

As you said and I tend to agree it will only go to the more influential schools and as these cheap tablets crap out they will not be replaced and in a year it will be just a memory.

Unfortunately people will look back on the experience and say that the plan has no practical use and fail to use the tablets as a tool.

I do believe that a student should be given time to learn to solve problems and think for them selves before they are given a computer or tablet to do it for them.

I do believe that a student should be given time to learn to solve problems and think for them selves before they are given a computer or tablet to do it for them.

I already wonder sometimes what will happen if I ask 'could you please write it down for me, here's a piece of paper and a pen'. Maybe 'hold on, I'll key it in and mail it to you' ?

cut///When you go into a Thai village, who is looking after the 6 year-olds - their 8 year-old sister.///cut

Is this anecdotal, or based on an extensive survey?

Come to Thailand and go to to a rural village - do your own research. Or ask Bushwacker (post following yours), he seems to experienced the same thing.

I spend time in a village Tambon, Mick. My observations contradict yours. I was chatting earlier with a mate who lives in a Tambon on the other side of town to my wife's family, and asked him for his observations on this: They mirrored mine. Now, my observations and my mate's observations are only family neighbourhood observations, so I'm not going to portray them as anything more, let alone try to present them as a national 'norm' as you did. Could you expand a bit more on your own observations in rural Thailand? Do you have family there? If you spend time there you must have detailed observations of the behaviour of the families around your neighbourhood?

cut///When you go into a Thai village, who is looking after the 6 year-olds - their 8 year-old sister.///cut

Is this anecdotal, or based on an extensive survey?

Come to Thailand and go to to a rural village - do your own research. Or ask Bushwacker (post following yours), he seems to experienced the same thing.

I spend time in a village Tambon, Mick. My observations contradict yours. I was chatting earlier with a mate who lives in a Tambon on the other side of town to my wife's family, and asked him for his observations on this: They mirrored mine. Now, my observations and my mate's observations are only family neighbourhood observations, so I'm not going to portray them as anything more, let alone try to present them as a national 'norm' as you did. Could you expand a bit more on your own observations in rural Thailand? Do you have family there? If you spend time there you must have detailed observations of the behaviour of the families around your neighbourhood?

All I can say is that you live in a strange neighbourhood. I have been spending long periods here for the last 15 years, and lived here for the last 10, for half that married to a Thai with twin daughters. I can't recall ANY village where kids as young as 8 weren't supervising younger (assumed) siblings.