Fast, Fun Car - Tuning? Where?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Why are Ride Pimpers allways parked on the side of Expressways ,Hood Up, stareing into engine..:D

Funny, I only see Mercedes Benz owners doing that :D

And red-plate Honda Jazz's - I've seen so many of them hood-up that I think they must have put the navigation screen under the hood for 2011.. :D :D

You're reported that before MRO? So what's the story with that??

• 4 months later...

Any more thoughts on the subject matter as I am picking my brain as well...and can't get much anywhere.

has to be new, under 2m, fast, fun and a good drive.

Any of you have some experience with a Citroen DS3 THP 150 or Skoda Superb? How would the new Volvo S60 compare to the Skoda?

cheers

Any more thoughts on the subject matter as I am picking my brain as well...and can't get much anywhere.

Any of you have some experience with a Citroen DS3 THP 150 or Skoda Superb? How would the new Volvo S60 compare to the Skoda?

cheers

Under 2Mil?? Scirroco would be my first choice.. Yes you can get them for that even second hand if necessary but with virtually no mileage to speak of..

Here's a 2012 for just over 2mil, really that close in budget is not really even worth discounting..

http://www.taladrod.com/w20/Search/CarDet3.aspx?cib=754189

post-83221-0-43860800-1326864686_thumb.j

Yep that's my first choice in that budget range, hands down..

BTW 2010's there for under 2 mil..

In fact one I'll be inquiring about as it's ridiculously just over 1 mil and sounds quite well turned out and I was reluctant to post it..

Edited by WarpSpeed

cheers

Under 2Mil?? Scirroco would be my first choice.. Yes you can get them for that even second hand if necessary but with virtually no mileage to speak of..

Here's a 2012 for just over 2mil, really that close in budget is not really even worth discounting..

http://www.taladrod....aspx?cib=754189

In fact one I'll be inquiring about as it's ridiculously just over 1 mil and sounds quite well turned out and I was reluctant to post it..

But who would pay 40,000 English pounds for THAT. cowboy.gif . A complete idiot. rolleyes.gif

cheers

But who would pay 40,000 English pounds for THAT. cowboy.gif . A complete idiot. rolleyes.gif

I wish,that I could afford to be an "idiot" like this..wink.png ...it's a great "little" zippy car...

cheers

I wish,that I could afford to be an "idiot" like this..wink.png ...it's a great "little" zippy car...

Yep obviously the "idiotic" comment of a rank amateur who's never driven a REAL sports car.. Some people are just clueless and only understand buying/owning a Vigo rolleyes.gif .

If one wants ANY respectable sports car here it's going to cost ridiculous money, link to one here that's so much better then the Scirocco in his budget range? TiT let's not forget, so therefore no link to be forthcoming..

Edited by WarpSpeed

cheers

No, but considering a 2010 for much less... Checking it out as we speak... and definitely way above idiot status as I don't own a common, everyday, vanilla Vigo..

cheers

No, but considering a 2010 for much less... Checking it out as we speak... and definitely way above idiot status as I don't own a common, everyday, vanilla Vigo..

Mines blue. giggle.gif

Mines blue. giggle.gif

Just as vanilla and common passifier.gif .. JFYI He mentioned a Skoda in his consideration and that's merely a Chek VW so why not buy a much more coveted and status related sports car like a Scirocco that's much more fun to drive?

thanks for all your feedback, valid or not....wai.gif .

indeed i have considered the Scirocco, but somehow kind of don't really like the design....it's a bit boring in and out, but of course personal taste is something to be discussed for ages. As you can see my range from Citroen DS3 to a Skoda Superb is rather wide...., i believe the DS3 with the turbo engine is a great little car, with style and individualism (see all the positive reports on the web) and the Skoda Superb is kind of funky in its own way, as you will only see very few in Thailand, even though in Europe probably it is as comon as as a Toyota Camry here, and people consider it as a 'boring car'. it can be chipped to 200hp quite easily.

Therefore, it really does not matter what I possible could buy with this money elsewhere, because i live here.

My dilema is that I got a Focus TDCI and getting something which beats this car in terms of driving and performance is not an easy task. Many cars are better in design, but handling and power the TDCI is hard to beat...

cheers....and keep the suggestions coming...

Focus diesel, nice engine and dsg auto, 200 hp at approx 80.000 baht

Focus 2,0 petrol, nice engine but sluggish 4 speed auto not capable of 200 hp

Ranger 3,2/6 speed auto. 260hp at 12k baht for racechip and dump pipe only. 600Nm

Pajero Sport 2,5 GT. 178 hp stock, racechip and dump pipe at 12k baht approx 230hp and 450Nm.

Fiesta 1,6 Sport/6 speed dsg. Kompressorkit from Swedish Ford should be like 160hp in a light car with extremely efficient dsg auto

all below 1,2 million baht smile.gif

I understand that this doesn't effect the warantee as its Ford supplied/approved.

You think Ford Thailand would;

a) honour the warantee?

B) Be able to fit it?

Do ford Sweden ship it, and at what cost?

The stock 120bhp in my fiesta just seems gutless. Seen various post on here saying they're quick, to me, a 10+ second 0-100 aint quick,

My fezza needs one of these!!!

• 4 months later...

as I am starting to get close to moving to live in Thailand full time again, my thoughts have also been thinking of a smallish fast and fun ride on a budget.

This looks an fairly straight forward way to get a bit more power from a new Honda jazz or city for realistic money, 2500 auz$ = about 80k baht plus shipping and tax

http://www.sprintex.com.au/sprintex/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/Supercharger_Honda_Jazz_Fit_City_Freed_Sprintex_Oct2011.pdf

For me the base car would have to be manual, would do a brake, suspension and wheel and tyre upgrade to handle the extra power safely but nothing to over the top as I prefer the idea of a Q car.

as I am starting to get close to moving to live in Thailand full time again, my thoughts have also been thinking of a smallish fast and fun ride on a budget.

This looks an fairly straight forward way to get a bit more power from a new Honda jazz or city for realistic money, 2500 auz$ = about 80k baht plus shipping and tax

http://www.sprintex....tex_Oct2011.pdf

For me the base car would have to be manual, would do a brake, suspension and wheel and tyre upgrade to handle the extra power safely but nothing to over the top as I prefer the idea of a Q car.

More expensive but more power would be dropping a k20 into it - done here in LoS already.

Check out the taxes first before bringing in products. A customised turbo kit here would be 100K with good quality parts. Check out "VSR tuning" on facebook - they can give you an idea on costs.

http://www.sprintex....tex_Oct2011.pdf

More expensive but more power would be dropping a k20 into it - done here in LoS already.

Check out the taxes first before bringing in products. A customised turbo kit here would be 100K with good quality parts. Check out "VSR tuning" on facebook - they can give you an idea on costs.

I like that idea, but lets cut some weight!

[media=]

[/media]

Shit video, but they have managed to shove a K20A into a Brio and make 213whp (75 who coming fom all the extra gauges) wish they had some highway pulls.

They look good but what concerns me is how many special parts are needed, what if a custom engine mount or drive shaft goes when in the middle of no-where? I would want a car I could confidently drive anywhere in Thailand.

That said, would be interested on how much a decent K20 would cost, how easy the swap would be and how many custom parts would be needed and if good modern second hand engines will still be available in light of the new customs rules for imports of second hand cars and car parts that have recently been announced?

cheers

They look good but what concerns me is how many special parts are needed, what if a custom engine mount or drive shaft goes when in the middle of no-where? I would want a car I could confidently drive anywhere in Thailand.

That said, would be interested on how much a decent K20 would cost, how easy the swap would be and how many custom parts would be needed and if good modern second hand engines will still be available in light of the new customs rules for imports of second hand cars and car parts that have recently been announced?

cheers

Last time I enquired, a K20 job was about 300K. It's quite expensive, more than a custom turbo job. In comparison, there is a 1.8 stock civic here putting out 218WHP with a low boost turbo kit (0.6bar). That's quite a bit more than a stock k20 type R motor. I'd be inclined to go with a stock turbo kit on low boost - as you said, there might be supply problems with type r engines / parts, but where there's a will there's a way. There' will be a cost involved though.

Oh wow, didn't realize a K20 cost so much here. Might as well stick with a DZ16, B16, B18, H22a, or B20(? from the CRV)

I really would like to build a Celica like mentioned in this thread or a Datsun 620 pickup with a SR20DET. But I'm not in a situation to buy and build a car right now and I might be picking up a CB550 or CB750 this week...

Sexy:

datsun-620-06.jpg

Any more thoughts on options, except: GOLF GTI, Scirocco and all the engine swap stuff.... Looking for a stock option at maybe around 1.5-1.9m. Nobody has driven those Skoda Fabia vRS i suppose? how about the DS3 THP 150? anybody....anything interesting to add.... I did buy myself a GOLF GTI stage 1 tuned, really nice! Now, wife wants something similar but a little less budget...here we go again.

Oh wow, didn't realize a K20 cost so much here. Might as well stick with a DZ16, B16, B18, H22a, or B20(? from the CRV)

I really would like to build a Celica like mentioned in this thread or a Datsun 620 pickup with a SR20DET. But I'm not in a situation to buy and build a car right now and I might be picking up a CB550 or CB750 this week...

Sexy:

datsun-620-06.jpg

I'm sure you can get a cool pickup here with 1jz/2jz/sr20det here. These older engines seem quite a bit cheaper than a modern k20. Probably can be had for less than 100K.

I would have thought a sr20det in a nissan nv would be pretty quick:) Seen a few of them around so I know the swap is doable.

Also I've seen k20 jobs done on civic here for sale second hand for about 1.4M. Here's one for sale now: http://www.one2car.c...CIVIC/G26540359

Looks good but for that sort of money I would prefer to just get an Integra DC5 with the k20

http://www.one2car.c...TEGRA/B17110454

The low pressure Turbo idea is not bad, just liked the idea of the supercharger as less custom plumbing around the exhaust manifold, if any of those welds crack would need to find a decent shop to fix, OK if it happened in BKK near a good shop but maybe hard to find up country or in the south?

With the super charger kit, worst case could disconnect the belt and you would be back to the standard car's power output, everything else would be standard city/jazz and any local honda dealer should be able to fix. Also concerned about possible heat issues on an aftermarket Turbo in BKK traffic?

The older Honda motors like the B16 and B18 would give the power output that would make a light car fun and are well proven, but would they run well on E20? I am not familiar with DZ16, is that more modern?

Would be looking for around the 160bhp+ in a light car like a city, I don't want to go drag racing (although the odd track day at Bira would be fun) just want a manual car with a bit more fun than standard manuals in Thailand, good acceleration for safe overtaking, and to be able to cruse at 120kph with power and acceleration in reserve if needed. Same sort of thing can get from the average hot hatch in the west.

Does not have to be a Honda, would consider other manufacturers to put together what I want, prefer main stream Thai brands though, as I don't want to stand out in the traffic (Q car affect). Hate the dash board design in the Yaris/Vios though puts me right off the Toyota route.

cheers

Edited by jay1980

Hi Jay, another possibility, I think mentioned, is the ford focus tdci. They have loads of torque and easily chipped to give up to about 170 HP or so. The problem seems to be supply - I rarely see them advertised. At least diesel is considerably cheaper than petrol at the moment.

There are bags of of b16/b18/b20 around. They rev well but really lack torque when you need it - you got to keep them up in the vtec zone. I highly doubt they will run on E20. Last time I enquired with an owner of a b16, he was using gasohol95.

Then there is the subaru wrx (or their copies). Plenty of those running around (600-1M baht) but I bet most have been thrashed. Buying second hand here is always a minefield so good luck!

just for info....just test drove the Skoda Fabia vRS and the POLO GTI (I do own a Mk6 Golf GTI, so can compare). Really impressive little cars. Compared to the GOLF GTI:

Skoda - pretty good size, 4 doors, decent boot, fun engine, low revs seems even better than the Golf, due to the supercharger, at a bit higher revs the GOLF GTI (tuned to 260hp) would probably run away - but not by much I reckon. the little 'green monster' Fabia pulls real strong. Lighter and more in your face (kind of MINI like), whereas the Golf is pretty grown up. handles real well, is stiffer as Golf though. Design is an issue in and out, although the test car had 5,000 plus km on it, nothing rattled and all looks tight and solid. Great warranty with 5 years free service and maintenance. Consider it for my wife, as she starts to like my GOLF GTI (or being nice i would even give her the Golf and settle for the Skoda).... Call me crazy, but the Skoda could be more fun...more raw...more lively.

Polo GTI: very similar of course than the Skoda, same 180hp twincharged engine. Smaller, 2 doors, less boot space. 2nd hand with 3,500km on it. Grey market import therefor no warranty. Besides space issue, I felt it might been a bit stiffer still - although not same roads used for test drive.

Very nice design, nearly same as the GOLF....like a MiniMe Golf....good interiors.

Priced same as the Skoda, as it is not new...but not warranty....

Tough one, but for this price, there is no other car in that performance range....New - of course I meant.

And I second the opinion that the Ford Focus TDCI is a dam_n good car...had the manual one before the Golf GTI and it was very good.

Cheers,