New Zealand Sports Head Murdered In Thailand

TheGhostWithin

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

UPDATE

Dramatic update in recent New Zealand murder in Pattaya

PATTAYA: -- A dramatic update now on the recent murder of a New Zealand man in his Jomtien apartment. On Saturday afternoon at the Jomtien Complex Condotel, where the reported murder took place, Police Lieutenant General Tanae, Commissioner of Region 2 Police attended a disturbing and graphic reconstruction of the alleged murder of Mr. Charles Edmund Jones, the President of the World Croquet Federation and well-known sports figure in New Zealand, who had just started a six week holiday here in Thailand. The prime suspect in the case is Mr. Mohamad Shanar Ryad aged 21, a former Commando in the Syrian Army who is a UN registered refugee who fled to Thailand following the recent uprising in his home country. He was working as a chef in a Lebanese Restaurant in South Pattaya close to the VC Hotel when he claims he met Mr. Jones. Mr. Ryad claims that Mr. Jones invited him to his rented apartment in Jomtien

Full story HERE

pattaya-one.jpg

-- Pattaya One 2011-08-27

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

UPDATE

Dramatic update in recent New Zealand murder in Pattaya

PATTAYA: -- A dramatic update now on the recent murder of a New Zealand man in his Jomtien apartment. On Saturday afternoon at the Jomtien Complex Condotel, where the reported murder took place, Police Lieutenant General Tanae, Commissioner of Region 2 Police attended a disturbing and graphic reconstruction of the alleged murder of Mr. Charles Edmund Jones, the President of the World Croquet Federation and well-known sports figure in New Zealand, who had just started a six week holiday here in Thailand. The prime suspect in the case is Mr. Mohamad Shanar Ryad aged 21, a former Commando in the Syrian Army who is a UN registered refugee who fled to Thailand following the recent uprising in his home country. He was working as a chef in a Lebanese Restaurant in South Pattaya close to the VC Hotel when he claims he met Mr. Jones. Mr. Ryad claims that Mr. Jones invited him to his rented apartment in Jomtien

Full story HERE

pattaya-one.jpg

-- Pattaya One 2011-08-27

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

For what it's worth -- very little indeed -- the story the arrested man gives combines two classic claims in cases where a man is murdered without witnesses: "he tried to rape me"/ "it was self-defense" (especially, but I'm not suggesting exclusively or making any assumptions here, in instances where the victim is homosexual).

His story could be true, and I don't claim to know otherwise or to see any evidence that it isn't, but I'm sure I'm not alone in thinking it sounds unlikely and a bit too neat.

Won't even get into the bit about his refugee status or his alleged special operations background -- but it sure adds some drama to the story.

The suspect joined the victim for the "third" time? Does that mean there are three records of him visiting at the condo? A very vague article. BTW, the restaurant I think they are talking about (across from the VC Hotel) is called the SHAMI TASTE Lebanese restaurant and it was CLOSED for many days during Ramadan so the first meeting couldn't have been at the restaurant. So they met at the hotel VC the first time presumably. How does that happen without a prior setup? My guess is still that they likely met using a gay social contact website. In that case if my speculation is true, the NZ man was being "safe" and meeting a potential social contact in a public place, the hotel, which is normally of course much better than inviting strangers to enter your home without first meeting them. I don't buy the homosexual panic rape defense.

Anyway, kudos to the police for (hopefully) catching the murderer.

This part is the non-PC part, to gay people living or visiting Pattaya involving inviting men into your home. Reading the news and hearing the gossip of UNREPORTED crimes over the years about crimes against gay westerners here, I think there are rational reasons to be more wary than usual with non-westerner nationals from outside the Asean region. There have been not only murders, but also ATM kidnappings, tying people up for days, and blackmail schemes. Petty crimes of opportunist theft of course are very common and predictable and probably mostly never reported, but I'm talking about serious crimes. Sorry to say -- PATTAYA IS NOT SAFE.

Edited by Jingthing

The suspect joined the victim for the "third" time? Does that mean there are three records of him visiting at the condo? A very vague article. BTW, the restaurant I think they are talking about (across from the VC Hotel) is called the SHAMI TASTE Lebanese restaurant and it was CLOSED for many days during Ramadan so the first meeting couldn't have been at the restaurant. So they met at the hotel VC the first time presumably. How does that happen without a prior setup? My guess is still that they likely met using a gay social contact website. In that case if my speculation is true, the NZ man was being "safe" and meeting a potential social contact in a public place, the hotel, which is normally of course much better than inviting strangers to enter your home without first meeting them. I don't buy the homosexual panic rape defense.

As you know Jing, the beauty of the Homosexual Panic defense is that it potentially gains sympathy for the perpetrator (while slandering the victim) and at worst appeals to the conscious/subconscious homophobia in so many. ("Well, murder is wrong but...if a f*g tried to do me in the a**, I might stab him too! Especially if he threatened me!" or merely, "It's wrong what he did but some people just wouldn't be able to handle such things and he just very badly overreacted" ). These stories also have the added benefit of dispelling any notion that the perpetrator could be gay or bewillingly engaging in homosexual acts ("Of course I wasn't alone with him with the intention of having sex -- when he wanted it, look how I reacted!"

But this one is not just the standard 'He came onto me and I was so scared and disgusted that I lashed out' but rather, 'He wanted to rape me!'. Anyone that believes that has to sympathize with him to some degree -- not just the homophobes.

note that 'murder' not confirmed, MFAT says 'died'

Facebook - maybe not the most reliable source for a newspaper to quote from.

We all know what the BiB are going to conclude anyway...

BiB findings.....Same as the Chiang Mai fiasco cover up.... The USA wild west was a sunday school picnic compared to present time Thailand.

But any farang in pattaya or phuket is wide open for "an accident" Places to avoid like the plague.

so I guess you come from a place that never has anyone die under

suspicious circumstances, yeah right ! The North Pole?

Don't put Phuket or Pattaya , in the most dangerous days of the Wild West!

Although they did have one thing in common,saloon girls.According to you ,everyone is packin' heat, and just like anywhere guns are a problem in the hands of criminals.

Which Pole are you from ?