Big Brother Thaksin Overshadows Younger Sister On Her Big Day

webfact

And it (IMHO) point to the likelihood that this really was just a political conviction - not that Thaskin is an angel, but this could have simply been the easiest way for his opponents to convict him of *something*...

Precisely true in saying that it was the easiest of all the cases against him (of which there are many) to get a conviction, as his name was signed on the paper. Pretty much as open and shut as they get. Not sure why all that means he shouldn't have been found guilty, which is what you seem to imply.

The judicial system is about justice, and if it has been manipulated (for political aims, or other reasons) then the objectivity / fairness of the results has been tainted. That is what I am saying.

And it (IMHO) point to the likelihood that this really was just a political conviction - not that Thaskin is an angel, but this could have simply been the easiest way for his opponents to convict him of *something*...

Precisely true in saying that it was the easiest of all the cases against him (of which there are many) to get a conviction, as his name was signed on the paper. Pretty much as open and shut as they get. Not sure why all that means he shouldn't have been found guilty, which is what you seem to imply.

The judicial system is about justice, and if it has been manipulated (for political aims, or other reasons) then the objectivity / fairness of the results has been tainted. That is what I am saying.

Ok but how do you *know* it's been manipulated? You don't. Pure speculation. And what's the alternative? Let politicians decide who's guilty and who's not?

Am I the only one getting tired of hearing about Thaksin ALL the time? bah.gif

Thaksin here, Thaksin there, Thaksin this, Thaksin that..

I swear, even a small article about a kitten stuck in a tree, can also soon be turned into something about Thaksin.

It is almost as if the media WANTS to give him loads of attention.

Well, at least the only media you will see on TVF, "The Nation", does talk about him all the time because they (apparently) feel that he is a negative for this government... and since The Nation doesn't like PTP at all, and since they are a biased media outlet with a biased agenda, they will continue this tactic as long as they find it valuable.

Rather than lament endlessly about the news sources, why don't you post news from other sources yourself?

You do know you can post news in threads, right?

If all the time that people (you're far from being alone) spent whining about The Nation was utilized posting news from other sources, it'd be a much more informative forum.

In this case, it is a relevant comment regarding the biases of the Nation and their strategy which is - rather clearly - to mention Thaskin at the drop of a hat.

In other cases, I have been known to make comments regarding the 'news' posted here as it is just opinion dressed up as reporting. I tend to do that when people seem to take that which the Nation has to 'report' too seriously.

And while it is true what you say, there is at least one other news source that cannot be mentioned, and certainly not quoted on TVF

PS, on TVF, that is news source - singular, not plural

B)

Ok but how do you *know* it's been manipulated? You don't. Pure speculation. And what's the alternative? Let politicians decide who's guilty and who's not?

first, I used the conditional, and second, in this instance, I would say there is a pretty reasonable possibility that this case was politically motivated with the corresponding pressure asserted to make certain that the outcome was guilty. Whether he was in fact guilty or not.

Make sense?

Well, at least the only media you will see on TVF, "The Nation", does talk about him all the time because they (apparently) feel that he is a negative for this government... and since The Nation doesn't like PTP at all, and since they are a biased media outlet with a biased agenda, they will continue this tactic as long as they find it valuable.

Rather than lament endlessly about the news sources, why don't you post news from other sources yourself?

If all the time that people (you're far from being alone) spent whining about The Nation was utilized posting news from other sources, it'd be a much more informative forum.

In this case, it is a relevant comment regarding the biases of the Nation and their strategy which is - rather clearly - to mention Thaskin at the drop of a hat.

In other cases, I have been known to make comments regarding the 'news' posted here as it is just opinion dressed up as reporting. I tend to do that when people seem to take that which the Nation has to 'report' too seriously.

And while it is true what you say, there is at least one other news source that cannot be mentioned, and certainly not quoted on TVF

B)

You can mention Bangkok Post. It's spelled out in the forum rules. It and another paper are the only two unquotable news sources available.

31) Members are not allowed to quote news articles or material from Bangkokpost.com or Phuketwan inside topics on Thaivisa.com. Posts from members containing quotes will be deleted from the forum. Members posting links referring back to the sites is also not allowed and will be deleted.

So subtract those two and that leaves probably around 23,420 other possible news sources that I look forward to your quotes of, instead of the repeated whining.

If you don't like the The Nation's slant on the news, counter it then with the slant provided by other news sources, rather than this incessant droning where the news source is the topic instead of the topic being the topic.

Edited by Buchholz

first, I used the conditional, and second, in this instance, I would say there is a pretty reasonable possibility that this case was politically motivated with the corresponding pressure asserted to make certain that the outcome was guilty. Whether he was in fact guilty or not.

Make sense?

A 'pretty' reasonable possibility, 'politically motivated' with the 'corresponding pressure asserted' to make certain 'outcome guilty'. Missing is either 'IMHO' or some reasoning why. Too many seems to say 'politically motivated' and either ignore the 'guilty' possibility, or say 'whether or not guilty'. Too easy, much too easy, like k. Thaksin saying "If I were guilty I would come back to go to jail, but I'm not"

He has been convicted for allowing his ex-wife to make a big business transaction with the state while he was in power.

:lol:

Yes, that is the big crime.

Indeed, cheating the country of a Billion Baht is small potatoes.

Indeed.... a billion baht is a piece of dust as compared to what the Dems made off with.... to all: clean off your rose-tinted glasses!

And your point is/

Are you saying that Thaksin did nothing wrong.

Maybe you should put on a pair of glasses. The billions that the Dems made off with are but a drop in the bucket to what Thaksin made off with under his leadership.

By the way in case you missed my allegation is the same as yours. Unsupported no guilty verdicts. Just talk in the wind.

But that seems to be your specialty so I just decided to join you. We are not alone how ever there are many red shirts who specialize in this.

Well I have enjoyed my visit with you in lala land but back to reality.

By By

Edited by hellodolly

I actually feel sorry for Yingluck with big brother always in the background looking over her shoulder. She and the rest of the PTP even if they wanted to do a good job for Thailand will be constantly jumping thru the hoops this man throws at them. She will be lucky to last a full 4 year term. O well the people of Thailand got the government and the drama they deserve as they voted for Thaksin oop Yingluck.

I actually feel sorry for Yingluck with big brother always in the background looking over her shoulder. She and the rest of the PTP even if they wanted to do a good job for Thailand will be constantly jumping thru the hoops this man throws at them. She will be lucky to last a full 4 year term. O well the people of Thailand got the government and the drama they deserve as they voted for Thaksin oop Yingluck.

Why feel sorry for her? That is totally absurd. Can you imagine a women like her, specifically THAT woman waking up one day, with ZERO experience in politics, no history of being passionate about politics as a topic in the first place, suddenly wanting to be the premiere leader of a major nation? She's a big girl. She played along with this, and now she needs to "man up" or face the consequences. As far as serving a full 4 year term, why is that relevant? It's of course very remote that she will, but that isn't the only measure of a failed or successful office. Only Thaksin did that in the entire history of Thailand. So far, this is turning out to be a total farce. Thailand doesn't deserve this. Who to blame? Hmmmmm.

Edited by Jingthing

Makes the saying "Big Brother Is Watching You" seem significant?

Why feel sorry for her? That is totally absurd. Can you imagine a women like her, specifically THAT woman waking up one day, with ZERO experience in politics, no history of being passionate about politics as a topic in the first place, suddenly wanting to be the premiere leader of a major nation? She's a big girl. She played along with this, and now she needs to "man up" or face the consequences. As far as serving a full 4 year term. Why is that relevant. Only Thaksin did that in the entire history of Thailand. So far, this is turning out to be a total farce. Thailand doesn't deserve this. Who to blame? Hmmmmm.

sorry you donot get it.

She's an adult. She did a very radical thing. She ran for and won the PM position in Thailand when it appears to many rational eyes that she has no qualifications, no formed ideology or political convictions (except family loyalty), no experience or even any visible real desire to perform as a PM. No special sympathy because she's a pretty lady. If this wasn't an acceptable "role" for her to "act" in, it was her responsibility to decline. Why give her a pass? She asked for this.

Edited by Jingthing

She's an adult. She did a very radical thing. She ran for and won the PM position in Thailand when it appears to many rational eyes that she has no qualifications, no formed ideology or political convictions (except family loyalty), no experience or even any visible real desire to perform as a PM. No special sympathy because she's a pretty lady. If this wasn't an acceptable "role" for her to "act" in, it was her responsibility to decline. Why give her a pass? She asked for this.

Of Course you are spot on Jingthing , it was her desire (or big brothers) to do the job, which now it would appear even at this early stage is is just not up to, her lack of self confidence was quite obvious when she refused to debate with Abhisit and turned down an offer the be interviewed on BBC's "hard talk" the alarm bells should have been ringing then as to her leadership qualities IMHO, I will give her no more than 2 years at the helm ,as its very early days yet, but when her promises start to wither on the vine, that is when the proverbial shit will really hit the fan.!

Recent polling suggest the majority of Thais don't think she'll last 2 years, let alone 4.

Edited by Buchholz

Recent polling suggest the majority of Thais don't think she'll last 2 years, let alone 4.

Two months seems more apt. Where does anyone see any evidence she even has the DESIRE to perform better? Not talking about ability, which I don't see either.

I've said it before, if I were Thai I would be embarrassed to have a "leader" like her.

Edited by Jingthing

Thaksin really is his own worst enemy. He's got his sister and her team in a position of power. But rather than sit back and let her throw out a few sweeteners and instigate a few sensible policies which are beneficial to all which would make folks think " Hey PTP is doing its job" therefore easing the path to his inevitable return to Thailand he's constantly stirring the pot.

Thaksin really is his own worst enemy. He's got his sister and her team in a position of power. But rather than sit back and let her throw out a few sweeteners and instigate a few sensible policies which are beneficial to all which would make folks think " Hey PTP is doing its job" therefore easing the path to his inevitable return to Thailand he's constantly stirring the pot.

I think Yingluck agreed beforehand to carry the can and be made to look useless, So big brother then steps back in her place.

Well organised plan. ??? fireworks to follow !!!

Well, at least the only media you will see on TVF, "The Nation",

Just to point out that TV often posts from MCOT & AFP, as well as smaller sources such as the excellent andrew-drummond.com, so it is incorrect to claim that 'The Nation' is "the only media you will see on TVF".

I would agree that 'The Nation' supplies many news items, but then it's the one of the two english-language national newspapers which allows itself to be quoted, so how could it be other-than a major source ?

I think Yingluck agreed beforehand to carry the can and be made to look useless, So big brother then steps back in her place.

Well organised plan. ??? fireworks to follow !!!

Hmm ,never thought about that idea before ,but you may well have something there!.

There is also the issue that her complete lack of relevant experience twinned with her fugitive from justice brother seeming to control things makes Thailand into a bit of a laughing stock. I suspect world events and the small matter of a double dip recession means even a seasoned captain would be hard pressed not to come unstuck. My wife doesn't know whether to despair at Thai politics or buy shares in the phone companies as calls overseas should be one growth area judging by Yingluck's first performance.

B)

You can mention Bangkok Post. It's spelled out in the forum rules. It and another paper are the only two unquotable news sources available.

31) Members are not allowed to quote news articles or material from Bangkokpost.com or Phuketwan inside topics on Thaivisa.com. Posts from members containing quotes will be deleted from the forum. Members posting links referring back to the sites is also not allowed and will be deleted.

So subtract those two and that leaves probably around 23,420 other possible news sources that I look forward to your quotes of, instead of the repeated whining.

If you don't like the The Nation's slant on the news, counter it then with the slant provided by other news sources, rather than this incessant droning where the news source is the topic instead of the topic being the topic.

Hi Bucholtz - thanks for the posting of the rule - I have read that as I had a post removed, not for quoting the bkkpost, but just repeating the title of one of their articles...

as for repeated whining and incessant droning, give me a break - I've got 130 total posts

there are members here on TVF for less time than me with mutliple THIOUSANDs of posts, and with some people, 99% of the posts consist of "Yingluck has s++t for brains, Thaskin is the devil, the red shirts are terrorists, and all of the bad crap that happens in Thailand is their fault - trust me, I know 'cause I'm a frickin Farang with too much time on my hands "... and just to be clear, I do not think that regarding your posts. On the other hand, when someone posts a perfectly reasonable comment with some incites into Thai culture but it happens to disturb some of the more conservative members beliefs (like GK did the other day), they get slammed for being a red sympathizer and are basically told to go home...

As for the original response I posted, anyone who reads the Nation with a critical eye will be able to see that it is a biased, yellow-journalism rag. And it is my opinion that their strategy is to keep Thaskin in the news as much as possible, even when he is not relevant to the news article they are writing.

Regards, Tom

As for the original response I posted, anyone who reads the Nation with a critical eye will be able to see that it is a biased, yellow-journalism rag. And it is my opinion that their strategy is to keep Thaskin in the news as much as possible, even when he is not relevant to the news article they are writing.

Regards, Tom

I think it's no secret where The Nation's sympathies lie, but that doesn't stop them printing views from all sides, and does not stop them from doing things like running a front page story with the headline 169 Dead Bodies in Mass Grave Suspected to be Red Shirt Supporters from Crack Down - or words to that effect. Now if they were truly a one-eyed propaganda rag, and some like to suggest, i really find it hard to understand why they would run a story like that, that was based on little more than what red shirt PR man posted on his web site, don't you?

And as far as keeping Thaksin in the news is concerned, you have surely heard what is said about publicity. I don't think it has done Thaksin any damage. And when you have an ex PM who has turned into a convicted felon on the run, this is going to be big news in any country, and will remain a main talking point until such a time the situation has been resolved. Papers give the stories people want to read about. The Nation is no different.

as for repeated whining and incessant droning, give me a break - I've got 130 total posts

True. That was more a reflection of dozens and dozens of other posts by members in addition to your own.

As for the original response I posted, anyone who reads the Nation with a critical eye

To return to my original response, perhaps a better response is to be pro-active and counter it with posting of news sources that have different biases, rather than passively rumbling discontent at a particular news source.