Rain Rain Amd More Rain

petercallen

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And the rain aint over yet. For wheather forecasts I use windguru.cz, which is used a lot by diving schools. They give wheather forecasts for locations all over the world, the location I use is Phuket bridge, which is the closest to Khao Lak where I live. They predict extremely heavy rainfall next sunday.

This morning when I got up it didn't rain, and I wanted to inspect my buildings for leakages, but now it rains again and the forecast is more rain, so I might postpone the inspection round.

What i would like to have is an actual radar image of incoming rain clouds, similar to this one,...

phuketLoop.gif

Back home in Europe i have such thing on my mobile, always aware when it is going to rain. Handy if you are a biker. The image above isnt really actual as far as i can see...

What i would like to have is an actual radar image of incoming rain clouds, similar to this one,...

phuketLoop.gif

Back home in Europe i have such thing on my mobile, always aware when it is going to rain. Handy if you are a biker. The image above isnt really actual as far as i can see...

It is real time..... Date/time shown here is given as UTC | วันเวลาที่แสดงเป็นเวลาสากล (UTC) so add the time difference and you are very close to actual.

You can make an bookmark of the image url to your phone's browser and you'll have it while on the road.

I would say that the image is pretty actual. I just predicted that the rain was coming here in 10-20 minutes. It's just that the rain radar can not always make an difference of the different water drop sizes or some disturbance on the air. Different temperature layers etc.

It is real time..... Date/time shown here is given as UTC | วันเวลาที่แสดงเป็นเวลาสากล (UTC) so add the time difference and you are very close to actual.

It's close to real time, updated every 20 minutes. I check this radar site most days and it's very accurate.

Severe rain and quite high winds in Chalong also (at least the northern part) for the last several hours. Forecast is for same same right through until next week. September is traditionally the month with the highest rainfall, and maybe we're paying the price for a relatively dry 'rainy' season so far.

First off, what the hell are you talking about 'relatively dry rainy season'?! It's been raining practically every bloody day this entire year! Started when a friend went home beginning February and hasn't dam_n well stopped, apart from a couple of blisteringly hot days. I know, I walk most everywhere.

Secondly, 'September traditionally wettest month of the year'?! You been reading the TAT propaganda website then? It pisses down throughout October and November, November, 'the start of the High Season, according to lying TAT - they know it's way past school holiday's and well enough time before Christmas - is by far, the wettest dreariest month of the entire year. Just ask another friend of mine who always insisted on visiting in November 'because he liked to go skiing in the New Year'. He doesn't come here at all now and I feel sorry for the poor sods who pay a large chunk of change after trusting TAT and 'guidebooks'.

What a 180 turnaround from last year.

Severe rain and quite high winds in Chalong also (at least the northern part) for the last several hours. Forecast is for same same right through until next week. September is traditionally the month with the highest rainfall, and maybe we're paying the price for a relatively dry 'rainy' season so far.

First off, what the hell are you talking about 'relatively dry rainy season'?! It's been raining practically every bloody day this entire year! Started when a friend went home beginning February and hasn't dam_n well stopped, apart from a couple of blisteringly hot days. I know, I walk most everywhere.

Secondly, 'September traditionally wettest month of the year'?! You been reading the TAT propaganda website then? It pisses down throughout October and November, November, 'the start of the High Season, according to lying TAT - they know it's way past school holiday's and well enough time before Christmas - is by far, the wettest dreariest month of the entire year. Just ask another friend of mine who always insisted on visiting in November 'because he liked to go skiing in the New Year'. He doesn't come here at all now and I feel sorry for the poor sods who pay a large chunk of change after trusting TAT and 'guidebooks'.

Don't know where you are mate but in Rawai it has been very dry this year, hardly any rain until now.

Edited by stuandchris

I agree the season has been pretty dry. I keep rainfall data and have a rain gauge at home. Measured 175mm in the last 2 days though! (in Kathu)... but even yesterday when some place had flooding, I drove Kathu to Karon Beach via Chalong about 8am, no flooding, no problems, and back about 4:30pm, also no problems and no floods. Karon - no floods. Kathu, at least all the parts I drove on the last 2 days, no floods, but I heard a friend nr the waterfall saying it was very wet around his place.

Patong - can there ever be decent drainage there? Happens every year.

A friend said there's flooding in Kamala.

But on my daily route Kathu - Karon, nothing out of the ordinary.

The bad weather and with stronger winds coming is set to continue for a couple more days. Check whats on at the movies...

I agree that we "needed some rain" but the flooding we have in the Rawai area is starting to do some real damage. The farmer next us gave up trying to save crop his about an hour ago. I've seen rain this hard before but not for this long. Since I can't change the weather I'll make the best of it, grabbing the SCUBA gear and into the back yard :D

=4648922 biggrin.gifYes we need the rain for the island, But a little too much for the blocked drains and drains that go nowhere yet seem to be built yearly, many run up hill ?blink.gif they, should conserve water . as they, have said they would for years .

At the rate of building the ground water is fast used up. come high dry season. A non bonus for me of the down poursad.gif

Two snakes decided it was time to get out of the rain, a big Cobra and a black skinny thing i have not seen befor about two meters long

settled in my veranda's as i came out check the fish pond sad.gif ooops time to watch tv oops no electric riley 76

p/s any one know where to buy an amphi car biggrin.gif

i must compliment phuket on rain water management, at least compared to samui

in samui, around big C in chaweng, it only takes 5 mins of heavy rain and the whole area is flooded for a month. at least here, the flood waters seem to disappear an hour after it stops raining.

From PG:

Totals in 24 hrs starting at around 1540 Thursday.

Kamala: 217.0mm

Karon: 162.5mm

Pa Khlok: 87.0mm

Phuket Town: 32.8mm:

Edited by Shot
off topic remark removed

I call rainy season, "I need a car, now season" or "If you loved me, you would let me buy a car time"

By "let", it is mean that I will "lend" the princess the money, which in reality means saying buhbye to the dosh.

How many times will I have to hear the sad stories of how someone got wet on the motorbike, or how it was sooooooooo difficult to get to the university because of the rain.

My response is the same: You cannot afford to maintain a vehicle and where exactly will you park your vehicle as your apartment doesn't exactly have parking. If it is raining that bad, I say, take a taxi. Of course the answer is , but honey, taxis are so expensive and , I can drive you places if I had a car. And when I reply, but when the need arises I do have the services a car and driver to which the angry reply is, but that's for you, what about me??? I dunno about you. Stop spending all your money and save up for a car instead. I got a bowl thrown at me for that one.

BTW, here's a tip, don't make the comment that at least when it rains someone's hair is washed free of charge without need of going to the beauty parlour. That one earned me the evil eye and a cheap charlie retort. Oh and another tip, don't buy those cheap garbage bag ponchos and offer it to someone as a gift on a rainy day as it can get tossed back in your face with an expletive. it is at times like this I am glad we have seperate places to live.

The weather on Phuket is extremely localised. You must live in the wrong part :lol:. This has been one of the driest 'wet seasons' I can remember for many, many years.

It's like being in the UK except the rain is warm here! what is the forecast for the coming day's?

I heard same through Sunday.

Good job I have a few eggs in then!! not driving my bike in this weather especially with all the inconsiderate other road users about! no flooding in my Soi but I am sure the roads will be trecherous...

It's like being in the UK except the rain is warm here! what is the forecast for the coming day's?

I heard same through Sunday.

According to windguru same through Tuesday, with on Monday much stronger wind. And windguru is normally much more reliable than any of the Thai sites.

Very impressive stunt Sir!

However it's the winds of the monsoon season which bring the warm moist air and with it precipitation and thus we get the rainy season...which is why it is undoubtedly commonly called "monsoon season"...commonly the word "monsoon" does not refer to the dry season - agreed?

The technical terms are right, but in mor then 30 years of living in monsoon countries in SEA I have never come across someone who revered to the dry saeson as "monsoon season" or to the rainy season as the "windy season"!

I call rainy season, "I need a car, now season" or "If you loved me, you would let me buy a car time"

By "let", it is mean that I will "lend" the princess the money, which in reality means saying buhbye to the dosh.

How many times will I have to hear the sad stories of how someone got wet on the motorbike, or how it was sooooooooo difficult to get to the university because of the rain.

My response is the same: You cannot afford to maintain a vehicle and where exactly will you park your vehicle as your apartment doesn't exactly have parking. If it is raining that bad, I say, take a taxi. Of course the answer is , but honey, taxis are so expensive and , I can drive you places if I had a car. And when I reply, but when the need arises I do have the services a car and driver to which the angry reply is, but that's for you, what about me??? I dunno about you. Stop spending all your money and save up for a car instead. I got a bowl thrown at me for that one.

BTW, here's a tip, don't make the comment that at least when it rains someone's hair is washed free of charge without need of going to the beauty parlour. That one earned me the evil eye and a cheap charlie retort. Oh and another tip, don't buy those cheap garbage bag ponchos and offer it to someone as a gift on a rainy day as it can get tossed back in your face with an expletive. it is at times like this I am glad we have seperate places to live.

being a big bike rider, I call it"abnaahm free".

and you did deserve the bowl thrown at you :D