Fish Oil Capsules For Dogs

Domestic dogs emerged (?) 100,000 years ago http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Origin_of_the_domestic_dog

"...the process by which humans domesticated the dog is poorly understood." From a BBC article.

It's insulting to our ancestors to assume that they only "woke up" to harnessing animals 15,000 years ago.

The books I've read quote 200,000 - 100,000 years.

The date itself is academic, the fact is that dogs would have eaten what food was available within the family tribe.

My dogs are on BARF + human-food left overs (not BARF prey mode) a typical diet that covers all the nutrients that I can find that both human and dog require.

when i had greyhounds in the uk i found vetzyme yeast tabs.kept their coats and health in good condition are they available here.

just had a quick google they are available direct,£31.67 for 3000tabs includes shipping.i will try my pharmacy on mon.they are importers.

Please remember fish oil should not be fed without calcium additives, fish oil might give a shiny coat but over time it is a proven fact it leads to rickets and other bone diseases, ,dont take my word for it ask any vet!!

My local vet has just sold me 60 fish oil tablets, looks like cod liver oil to me!.

Our Siberian Husky had some skin problems, most of his hair fell out, apparently Husky's can suffer from dermatitis issues and our vet suggested it may be due to hormonal problems.

Anyway over the course of this year I have contributed substantially to her bank balance by purchasing just about every type of skin medication there is in Thailand.

Will take your advice on fish oil tabs, oh and the Husky is recovering well.

My local vet has just sold me 60 fish oil tablets, looks like cod liver oil to me!.

Our Siberian Husky had some skin problems, most of his hair fell out, apparently Husky's can suffer from dermatitis issues and our vet suggested it may be due to hormonal problems.

Anyway over the course of this year I have contributed substantially to her bank balance by purchasing just about every type of skin medication there is in Thailand.

Will take your advice on fish oil tabs, oh and the Husky is recovering well.

Exaclty. i spent many baht on my dogs skin condtion, thats why I use Yumega, it works for my dogs 100%

Why change something you KNOW works !!

I dont minding spending money ONLY when i know it works and can actually see the results,

cheers

Paul

Domestic dogs emerged (?) 100,000 years ago http://en.wikipedia....he_domestic_dog

"...the process by which humans domesticated the dog is poorly understood." From a BBC article.

It's insulting to our ancestors to assume that they only "woke up" to harnessing animals 15,000 years ago.

The books I've read quote 200,000 - 100,000 years.

The date itself is academic, the fact is that dogs would have eaten what food was available within the family tribe.

Insulting or not, that's exactly what your link/reference says: "Archaeology has placed the earliest known domestication at potentially 30,000 BC,[1][2] and with certainty at 7,000 BC.[3] ....Perhaps the earliest clear evidence for this domestication is the first dog found buried together with human from 12,000 years ago in Palestine.[15][16] ...A study by the Kunming Institute of Zoology found that the domestic dog is descended from wolves tamed less than 16,300 years ago south of the Yangtse river in China.[22] etc, etc"

The "100,000 years" you refer to are based on a single DNA study separating dogs and wolves, nothing to do with the domestication of dogs.

My dogs are on BARF + human-food left overs (not BARF prey mode) a typical diet that covers all the nutrients that I can find that both human and dog require.

There is no "BARF prey mode" diet - the BARF diet and the prey diet are totally different diets. Prey diets are based on the belief that dogs are natural carnivores and are 80% meat, 10% bone and 10% organs, while the BARF diet is based on the belief that while cats are obligate carnivores dogs are not and their ideal diet is around 70% raw bones and meat and 30% fruit and veg, eggs and dairy products.

I am sure your diet works for your dogs and may even be the best diet possible for them but, whether you accept it or not, it is simply NOT the BARF diet , which is very specific and based on human grade raw food. Yours may well be an ideal diet for some breeds (bangkaew, for example, which are very close to wild dogs / jackals), but it is potentially dangerous to anyone following it for you to claim that it is the BARF diet which has been extensively researched and documented and which is suitable for all breeds (as long as it is followed correctly).

Edited by LeCharivari

While for some people feeding their dogs a "dried dog food" diet may be about "convenience", that is not all it is about for many. A dried dog food diet may not be the perfect one for all (or many) dogs, but convenience is far from the only advantage. First, it is generally consistent - recalls of processed pet food have been for the tinned variety, not for dried foods.

Hhhmmm, you must have missed the 'tiny' recall of dog foods between 2006 and 2008 then.

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=118762

"quote"More than 23,000 tons of dry dog and cat pet foods from more than 100 different brands were recalled between 2006 and 2008. "unquote"

It is safe not only for the dogs but also for the people handling it and for children; raw food, particularly raw chicken, is not - there is a high risk of salmonella, ringworm, roundworm, tapeworm, bird flu, etc just from handling raw food without proper precautions and food safety (you are not, for example, defrosting your frozen chickens properly).

Ringworm? Can you expand on that?

And how about the Salmonella outbreak in The States caused by dried dog food? http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=118762

http://www.cdc.gov/Salmonella/schwarzengrund.html

And the other 'tiny' worldwide pet food recall after it was found that the food was contaminated with melamine, causing many death under the pets.

http://google2.fda.gov/search?q=dog+food+recall+2007&x=15&y=16&client=FDAgov&site=FDAgov&lr=&proxystylesheet=FDAgov&output=xml_no_dtd&getfields=*

If you have a number of dogs, particularly of different breeds/ages/sizes, it is also generally universal: feeding a number of dogs the same dried dog food at the same time will ensure that, as long as there is enough, all of them will get a known nutritional balance to which you can add supplements for those needing them - feeding the same dogs a BARF/prey type diet will simply ensure that the biggest dogs get the bits they want (not necessarily the correct balance, even for them) while the smaller and weaker dogs will get the less attractive left-overs (definitely not the correct balance).

Why's that? Why not feeding the dogs separate, no matter what kind of food one feeds? You then know exactly who eats what, how much, and if a normally good eating individual goes off its food.

Leaving wet food out, whether the food is canned, raw, cooked or moist from saliva, will attract flies, ants, and other bugs. Not advisable IMHO.

Here's some history on kibble: http://www.kriegshundgsds.com/History_of_Kibble.html

Here a report of a 3rd year Harvard student who has done some research on commercial dog food: http://leda.law.harvard.edu/leda/data/784/Patrick06.html, and another (IMO) interesting read on commercial pet foods: http://www.bornfreeusa.org/facts.php?p=359&more=1 (this site gives also a list of pet food recalls)

...Hhhmmm, you must have missed the 'tiny' recall of dog foods between 2006 and 2008 then....."quote"More than 23,000 tons of dry dog and cat pet foods from more than 100 different brands were recalled between 2006 and 2008. "unquote" ... And how about the Salmonella outbreak in The States caused by dried dog food? ...And the other 'tiny' worldwide pet food recall after it was found that the food was contaminated with melamine, causing many death under the pets.

No, Nienke, I didn't miss any recalls, but I also checked on exactly what foods were recalled and why, and what your link refers to as "dry dog and cat pet food" is actually canned ("cuts and gravy" type) pet food and "jerky" style snacks from one single manufacturer (Menu Foods) who produced 100 different brands of dog and cat food. Other manufacturers recalled a comparatively small amount of dried dog food voluntarily as a precautionary measure in the general panic but these were all subsequently found to be uninfected. A summary of the recall, listing all the products and findings is at Wiki with full and very detailed supporting links from the FDA, AVMA, etc, for those who give Wiki little credibility.

The "the other 'tiny' worldwide pet food recall" and the "the Salmonella outbreak in The States caused by dried dog food"? These, according to your own links, are the same recall for the same canned dog food.

Ringworm? Can you expand on that?

Willingly. Ringworm is a zoonotic disease (one transferable from animals to humans); it is not found in human grade food, but it is found in untreated fresh animal carcasses, including pigs and cattle, in the same way that tapeworms are found in many untreated fish, etc.

Why not feeding the dogs separate, no matter what kind of food one feeds? You then know exactly who eats what, how much, and if a normally good eating individual goes off its food.

Because not everybody who has more than one dog has the facilities or the time to feed every dog separately every day and to check who eats what, etc. Its not a question of what is ideal or what a boarding kennel gets paid to do, but it is often a question of what is practical. For most people who keep several dogs loose at home or for those who keep packs of working dogs together feeding all their dogs separately is simply not possible. My dogs, for example, all live and eat together (but out of separate bowls, which they each know and generally stick to), but if I were to feed every dog separately and to watch them eating individually I would be spending 2 hours a day watching my dogs eating and they would soon be as bored by the process as me.

Unlike some people who seem to think that their particular diet is ideal for all dogs under all circumstances I have made my view very clear: I don't think that any one diet is suitable for all dogs, just as no one diet is suitable for all people. There are simply too many variables such as the dogs' breed, size, age, health and allergies, not to mention your convenience, cost and practicality, which is why I wouldn't suggest any diet without knowing the dog and its history (and even then I'd strongly suggest consulting an expert directly if there are specific problems) and why I recommend people do their homework first without deciding on any particular diet.