Good Restaurant To Introduce Newbies To Thai Food

MajorTon

Must add that a foodcenter could be the solution. In Bangkok many food centers is situated at top of a shopping mall. Eg. Platinum, Pratunam MBK........

Great. A (British but well-traveled in Thailand) friend suggested Cabbages and Condoms as a good first Thai meal for them but I have also heard it is very touristy. I have also heard there are other places along the same lines- extensive thai menu (in English), doing everything reasonably well but I have not found any names, or addresses.

How allergic to peanuts? While it's easy to identify the small number of popular Thai dishes that actually use peanuts, the harder thing is knowing whether the non-peanut dishes you do order have not been prepared with kitchen tools that have touched peanuts.

There is also a potential language issue. If you go out a lot in Thailand and try to tell the staff you can't eat any peanuts, sometimes they will interpret that as make sure to add peanuts! (Same problem I have sometimes asking for super spicy and only the word spicy registers and I get no heat at all.) So I would suggest getting something WRITTEN in Thai to show the waiters saying, no peanuts, it is very important that you serve no peanuts because if I eat a peanut I will die. Perhaps a skull and crossbones picture wouldn't hurt either.

Edited by Jingthing

How allergic to peanuts? While it's easy to identify the small number of popular Thai dishes that actually use peanuts, the harder thing is knowing whether the non-peanut dishes you do order have not been prepared with kitchen tools that have touched peanuts.

There is also a potential language issue. If you go out a lot in Thailand and try to tell the staff you can't eat any peanuts, sometimes they will interpret that as make sure to add peanuts! (Same problem I have sometimes asking for super spicy and only the word spicy registers and I get no heat at all.) So I would suggest getting something WRITTEN in Thai to show the waiters saying, no peanuts, it is very important that you serve no peanuts because if I eat a peanut I will die. Perhaps a skull and crossbones picture wouldn't hurt either.

Spot on I dont have a problem thank Buddha but the time's I order a squid dish and it arrive's with minced pork. I have a friend here that has to eat in muslim restaurant's because he's allergic to pork. Peanut's that's another thing they add sometime's hole so you can spot it but they also add the ground stuff as well. As JT said get it in writing but you've only got a 50/50 chance then.

Assuming you're in Bangkok, consider Vientiane Kitchen

http://vientianekitchen.com/home.html

Yes, it's a bit touristy and has a show, but the food is pretty good and spicy, and the menu is long so it'll be easy to avoid peanuts and seafood. Portion sizes are a little on the small side, but that just encourages you to order more dishes and experience a wider variety of tastes. It's the first place I think of for taking overseas visitors for a Thai meal.

This is a great idea. The person in question is not deathly allergic but will react (vomit) immediately. She is allergic to ALL nuts but peanuts and peanut oil especially. She is still adventurous though, just careful. I will have to try and find a Thai person to write a note, just as you said. THANKS!

This is a great idea. The person in question is not deathly allergic but will react (vomit) immediately. She is allergic to ALL nuts but peanuts and peanut oil especially. She is still adventurous though, just careful. I will have to try and find a Thai person to write a note, just as you said. THANKS!

try this link hope you will not need to thai person

http://www.thai-language.com/id/210856

"I have a severe peanut allergy"

the pronounce: dichan pen rok phumi phae thualisong khan run raeng kha :D