True Adsl Frequently Disconnecting

shariq607

hey people

since yesterday my hi speed true adsl is randomly disconnecting sometimes it doesn't even connect for a long time i live in suk soi 31

the first time this problem occurred when there were loud thunder storms

yesterday the problem was so bad i had to go to my friends apartment in thong lo to use the internet and he was also having same problems

DSL Line Status:

noise margin upstream: 2 db

output power downstream: 18 db

attenuation upstream: 23 db

noise margin downstream: 7 db

output power upstream: 9 db

attenuation downstream: 33 db

Any of you experiencing same problems in sukhumvit and thong lo area?

Edited by shariq607

Your SNR is very low -- which would explain the frequent disconnects. With all the rain that we've been getting lately, it won't surprise me if moisture got into the phone cables. Maybe contact True and have them check the line.

BTW, it's not a very good idea to be using the internet during a thunderstorm.

Based on your very poor Signal to Noise levels, such as a download level of only 7 db, I can understand why you are having connection problems. Usually when you get down to around a 10db download SNR is where disconnects/low speed starts to occur. I expect when the line was working properly you had a downstream SNR in the 20 to 30 db ballpark. You've got a physical line problem which could be most anything between your residence and the central office/DSLAM. And since your friend is also having the problem that indicates it's probably something common to both of you and could be junction box on the pole/on the ground or a whole variety of issues to include problems at the central office/DSLAM bank servicing your area. Time to call True.

You sure about this? I would assume you are running the same risk if you are plugged in regardless if you are using the internet or not. If you are talking about the wireless signal that is another story but not sure that this would really attract lighting if you are indoors because so many others things that have a stronger attraction and easier path to ground. Although I'm questioning you, I want to make it clear that I am not arguing with you because I really don't know... but would like to.

update

this is my dsl line status now

noise margin upstream: 20 db

output power downstream: 20 db

attenuation upstream: 22 db

noise margin downstream: 9 db

output power upstream: 12 db

attenuation downstream: 34 db

its still shit disconnecting every 10-15 min

i called true and they are more interested in me doing speedtest.net result and send them it to there true online chat

Now whenever i perform speedtest.net the result is always showing me that i am getting full speed but thats just bogus as browsing is so slow and the speed of downloading a file from thai server is only 70 kb/s

i told there english staff that speedtest is showing bogus result but they say its not possible

You sure about this? I would assume you are running the same risk if you are plugged in regardless if you are using the internet or not. If you are talking about the wireless signal that is another story but not sure that this would really attract lighting if you are indoors because so many others things that have a stronger attraction and easier path to ground. Although I'm questioning you, I want to make it clear that I am not arguing with you because I really don't know... but would like to.

About 2 years ago, a lightning strike "fried" my modem and several communications devices on cellular tower adjacent to my home. Not only that, it had also killed the onboard LAN port on my computer. Luckily enough, no other components were affected. Since then, I've always been wary of leaving the PC on during an electrical storm.

Edited by Supernova

About 2 years ago, a lightning strike "fried" my modem and several communications devices on cellular tower adjacent to my home. Not only that, it had also killed the onboard LAN port on my computer. Luckily enough, no other components were affected. Since then, I've always been wary of leaving the PC on during an electrical storm.

Agree 100% with this. I assumed you were saying it increases your chance of the computer being hit if on the internet as opposed to it increasing your chances of the person being struck by simply being on a plugged in computer during a storm. Funny cause with all the lighting here, I recently needed to educate my Thai wife about some of things you shouldn't do during a lightning storm and was wondering if being on the net was one of them ... but glad you mentioned this because I didn't even think about telling her about being on the computer. It was odd because she is scared to go out when there is lightning but had no problem taking a shower or sitting on the balcony talking on a cell phone during storms.

While rain seems to be causing problems for some folks, it has had the opposite effect on my connection. The speed issues I've reported here have subsided in the last 48 hours... Maybe a rain soaked junction box is what I need. :rolleyes:

I had a very interesting experience in Albuquerque, NM years ago. ABQ is very dry most of the year until the monsoons arrive. One customer had an HP mini computer system that ran an HP-45 emulator program. It ran fine until a storm came in, the we had to re-link it to run it. Once the ground dried up, the program wouldn't run again until relinked. Looking around the building (1945 era) the ground connection was very poor.

You might have a ground problem that the rain temporarily fixed. That could affect signal to noise ratios.

Agree 100% with this. I assumed you were saying it increases your chance of the computer being hit if on the internet as opposed to it increasing your chances of the person being struck by simply being on a plugged in computer during a storm. Funny cause with all the lighting here, I recently needed to educate my Thai wife about some of things you shouldn't do during a lightning storm and was wondering if being on the net was one of them ... but glad you mentioned this because I didn't even think about telling her about being on the computer. It was odd because she is scared to go out when there is lightning but had no problem taking a shower or sitting on the balcony talking on a cell phone during storms.

Using a laptop on battery (not connected to mains) with wifi, or using a cell or cordless phone would protect a person from lightning. Connected to any wire link (power, internet by cable, ADSL, or phoneline) is risky during storms.

Being out on the balcony or taking a shower could be risky, too.

Yes, it is a risk because of the added risk of the lightning coming in on/running along the phone/ADSL line....from a lightning strike to your residence or hundreds of meters away (or more) to phone/DSL line circuits such as a electric pole that carries electric and phone lines....or to a junction box...or to a XYZ.

Such a real world event happened to me only three months ago here in Bangkok during a thunderstorm. It was about midnight and I was in bed upstairs but couldn't sleep due to the lightning & thunder...it was bad...the way I was laying on the bed I was looking straight at a set of shelves where my ADSL modem, separate Wifi router, VOIP adapter, and Fax machine set. Suddenly I saw a bright flash of lightning and heard the sound literally at the same time meaning the lightning occurred very, very near. Hell, I nearly jumped out of my skin as if appeared and sounded the lightning occurred directly over my house and probably struck somewhere very, very close...maybe even my house. At that moment in time while looking at above mentioned equipment the lights on all of them went abnormal and the fax machine made a funny noise...I knew that at a minimum some of the devices external/plug-in power adapters had been damaged/smoked.

Next morning, we found out our next door neighbor's house had been struck by lightning....blew up approx 6 cement fiber roof shingle/tiles at the very top of the roof which also allowed rain water in....the neighbors said that lightning strike occurred at around midnight....no doubt the same one that nearly made me jump out of my skin. That morning when trouble shooting my devices, I found out the ADSL modem and its power adapter were smoked, the separate router and its power adapter were smoked, and the VOIP adapter and its separate power adapter were smoked. The fax machined still worked OK since it didn't use a separate power adapter...it just electrically plug directly into the wall power outlet and its fax/phone line input was T-connected off the combination phone/ADSL intenet line. I also found out a cordless phone down stairs no longer worked since its power adapter had been smoked. When I say smoked, I mean the power adapters were completely dead and the modem, router, and VOIP adapter still didn't work once replacing the power adapters as the lightning also damaged their Ethernet input circuits/ports. Fortunately the cordless phone downstairs worked OK after replacing the power adapter. No other electronic/electrical devices in the house plugged into electric power were damaged....no damage to any of the TVs (we had KU and C-band satellite TV at that time), no damage to the TV set-top boxes, no damage to DVDs, fans, air conditioners, microwave, etc...etc...etc. The only things damaged were those items that were directly or indirectly hooked to the phone/DSL line...the phone/DSL line hooked to the modem...the modem hooked to the router....and the VOIP adapter hooked to the router. And with the exception of the fax machine, all the damaged devices were plugged in via power strips with surge protection. The lightning had used the phone/DSL line as part of it electrical path. And even thought the main bolt of lightning hit the neighbor's house, I expect there were plenty of streamers coming off that main bolt...one or more more ot them taking a path through the phone/DSL lines on the poles running along our soi. Never heard if any of my neighbors experienced electrical/electronic device damage like I did...maybe the lightning just found a path into my house only....and to the top of the neighbor's roof.

Oh yea, lightning can get into your home by various methods....electrical lines, phone/DSL lines, external TV antenna, satellite dish, direct strike, etc. Personally, in my long life this is the first time lightning has damaged something in a residence I owned, but while growing up we used an external TV antenna and a couple of times our TV input circuits were smoked by lightning hitting the antenna.

And just a closing note on power strips with surge protection built in, although the packaging may claim protection against lightning, I doubt any of them can handle nearly a direct/direct strike to your residence...surge protectors are primarily geared towards surges caused by power going off and on, high power usage devices such as air conditioners/washing machines/clothes driers/microwaves/etc kicking on which can cause millesecond spikes/surges on the residence's electrical lines, or even if living in a condo where an elevator stops and goes which causes spikes. But no matter what their advertising may say, they cannot protect against the millions of volts/joules generated by a near direct/direct lightning strike.

Edited by Pib

Yes, it is a risk because of the added risk of the lightning coming in on/running along the phone/ADSL line....from a lightning strike to your residence or hundreds of meters away (or more) to phone/DSL line circuits such as a electric pole that carries electric and phone lines....or to a junction box...or to a XYZ.

Such a real world event happened to me only three months ago here in Bangkok during a thunderstorm. It was about midnight and I was in bed upstairs but couldn't sleep due to the lightning & thunder...it was bad...the way I was laying on the bed I was looking straight at a set of shelves where my ADSL modem, separate Wifi router, VOIP adapter, and Fax machine set. Suddenly I saw a bright flash of lightning and heard the sound literally at the same time meaning the lightning occurred very, very near. Hell, I nearly jumped out of my skin as if appeared and sounded the lightning occurred directly over my house and probably struck somewhere very, very close...maybe even my house. At that moment in time while looking at above mentioned equipment the lights on all of them went abnormal and the fax machine made a funny noise...I knew that at a minimum some of the devices external/plug-in power adapters had been damaged/smoked.

Next morning, we found out our next door neighbor's house had been struck by lightning....blew up approx 6 cement fiber roof shingle/tiles at the very top of the roof which also allowed rain water in....the neighbors said that lightning strike occurred at around midnight....no doubt the same one that nearly made me jump out of my skin. That morning when trouble shooting my devices, I found out the ADSL modem and its power adapter were smoked, the separate router and its power adapter were smoked, and the VOIP adapter and its separate power adapter were smoked. The fax machined still worked OK since it didn't use a separate power adapter...it just electrically plug directly into the wall power outlet and its fax/phone line input was T-connected off the combination phone/ADSL intenet line. I also found out a cordless phone down stairs no longer worked since its power adapter had been smoked. When I say smoked, I mean the power adapters were completely dead and the modem, router, and VOIP adapter still didn't work once replacing the power adapters as the lightning also damaged their Ethernet input circuits/ports. Fortunately the cordless phone downstairs worked OK after replacing the power adapter. No other electronic/electrical devices in the house plugged into electric power were damaged....no damage to any of the TVs (we had KU and C-band satellite TV at that time), no damage to the TV set-top boxes, no damage to DVDs, fans, air conditioners, microwave, etc...etc...etc. The only things damaged were those items that were directly or indirectly hooked to the phone/DSL line...the phone/DSL line hooked to the modem...the modem hooked to the router....and the VOIP adapter hooked to the router. And with the exception of the fax machine, all the damaged devices were plugged in via power strips with surge protection. The lightning had used the phone/DSL line as part of it electrical path. And even thought the main bolt of lightning hit the neighbor's house, I expect there were plenty of streamers coming off that main bolt...one or more more ot them taking a path through the phone/DSL lines on the poles running along our soi. Never heard if any of my neighbors experienced electrical/electronic device damage like I did...maybe the lightning just found a path into my house only....and to the top of the neighbor's roof.

Oh yea, lightning can get into your home by various methods....electrical lines, phone/DSL lines, external TV antenna, satellite dish, direct strike, etc. Personally, in my long life this is the first time lightning has damaged something in a residence I owned, but while growing up we used an external TV antenna and a couple of times our TV input circuits were smoked by lightning hitting the antenna.

And just a closing note on power strips with surge protection built in, although the packaging may claim protection against lightning, I doubt any of them can handle nearly a direct/direct strike to your residence...surge protectors are primarily geared towards surges caused by power going off and on, high power usage devices such as air conditioners/washing machines/clothes driers/microwaves/etc kicking on which can cause millesecond spikes/surges on the residence's electrical lines, or even if living in a condo where an elevator stops and goes which causes spikes. But no matter what their advertising may say, they cannot protect against the millions of volts/joules generated by a near direct/direct lightning strike.

your post looks scary, lol now i will have unplug everything during rainstorms

Don't know what's going on, but today True are not even taking problem calls.

When I call I get a message saying... you may not be able to use high speed internet, sorry for the inconvenience.

Cannot get an actual person, only that message.

update

this is my dsl line status now

noise margin upstream: 20 db

output power downstream: 20 db

attenuation upstream: 22 db

noise margin downstream: 9 db

output power upstream: 12 db

attenuation downstream: 34 db

its still shit disconnecting every 10-15 min

i called true and they are more interested in me doing speedtest.net result and send them it to there true online chat

Now whenever i perform speedtest.net the result is always showing me that i am getting full speed but thats just bogus as browsing is so slow and the speed of downloading a file from thai server is only 70 kb/s

i told there english staff that speedtest is showing bogus result but they say its not possible

Your noise margin downstream (a.k.a., downstream Signal to Noise (SNR) is not very good. Whey you get around 10-12db you can expect to start having disconnect and download speed problems. You should be up in the 20 to 30 db ballpark.

I also have been getting disconnects can someone tell me what these setting mean??

down up

SNR Margin 12.3 5.7db

Line Attenuation 22.0 12.7 db

Data Rate 10816 1094 kbps

First column is your downstream/download line stats; the second column is your upstream/upload stats. With your 12.3db downstream SNR you are getting pretty close to that 10-12db ballpark range where disconnects can start occurring. The lower the SNR number the worst Signal to Noise ratio....the noise level is getting worst/more noise on the line/the noise is beginning to mask the signal...makes it harder for the modem to distinguish the ADSL Signal from the Noise on the line/harder to maintain a connection. Normally you should be up in the 20-30 db downlaod SNR ballpark. I say "normally" because even with a perfect physical phone/DSL line each ADSL package/speed/equipment being used will vary the minimum desired stats/values.

Now all above stats only identify the connection between your modem and the central station/DSLAM that will usually be within a few kilometers of your residence; it does not provide any stats on how the central station/DSLAM is connecting/talking to the ISP's server/national gateway server/international gateway server. You can have rock solid physical line stats and connection to the DSLAM and still not get an IP address/connection to the ISP's servers because there are problems between the central station/DSLAM servicing your area and the ISP's servers. But usually it seems the problem lies between your residence (to possibly include the phone wiring in your wall) and to your central station/DSLAM.

When the next disconnect occurs you should quickly check your modem stats again to see what your stats say/if they got worst....and do the same thing when the connection is working good/see if the stats are better.

Edited by Pib

your post looks scary, lol now i will have unplug everything during rainstorms

Fortunately, I was back on the internet within about four hours as I had a spare modem from a previous plan, a spare Wifi router, and a couple of power adapters. After hooking up these spare devices I couldn't get an IP address and figured some TOT line equipment had been damaged also. Anyway I called TOT, explained the problem (I didn't tell them lightning took out my equipment), and a few hours later I was able to get an IP address. I expect other folks called in connection problems also. I even took the smoked TOT modem back to a TOT Service Center that same day and they gave me a new one no charge. I also had a spare VOIP adapter and by nightfall after calling the States-side VOIP company for them to load the adapter's MAC address against my VOIP account, I was back online call-wise again. And a month later when I switched to True Cable internet I took the TOT modem back to the TOT Service Center as part of the expect cancellation process of my 6Mb plan, but they let me keep the modem.

Now with my True cable Wifi combo modem/router which my VOIP adapter hooks to I do unplug them now if the thunderstorm is a bad one...I even unscrew the RG11 cable running to the cable modem input as I don't want lightning running in on the RG11 cable as that cable hooks to the cable trunk line strung on the poles....a cable trunk line that could get struck by lightning just like phone lines on the poles. Now I just need to order a used VOIP adapter off Ebay so I'll have a spare....if the True-provided Wifi modem/router ever gets smoked I'll see if I can get a free replacement from them.

Of course I should be unhooking all my TVs, set-top boxes, and maybe some other devices during a thunderstorm but I don't....guess I'm just too lazy to run through the house and completely unhooked all those devices...I'll just take my chances on those items since I have multiple TVs/set-top boxes...plus, as mentioned, I'm lazy.. If I was afraid of all the risks of living in Thailand, I would never go outside and just hide under the bed....but it would be my luck the bed would collapse on me. ;)

Go into your modem's menu setup. Take a look at its manual and it will tell you how to access it, what IP address to enter, etc.. Once you get in, then look at the menu(s) that show Status, Diagnostics, etc. Sometimes all or some of the stats are shown on the modem's main page. You will find an area(s) which reports Sync speed which is the raw connection speed between the modem and DSLAM, download/upload SNR, Speed, Attenuation, etc. Whatever speed package you are sign-up for, then your modem sync speed must be reporting "at least" that amount....sometimes the reported speed with be a little higher (like 1.024Mb higher) depending on how the ISP has its network setup. If your Sync speed is less than the speed of the plan you are paying for, you are not getting a full speed connection to the DSLAM probably due to a bad SNR, high attenuation, etc. As referred to as a bad physical line connection which can be cause by many things such as a funky connection somewhere between the modem and DSLAM caused by moisture, corrosion, loose connection, bad line equipment, etc. I've talked to line technicians who say the problem is usually in a junction box along the line or where lines have been spliced together, where there is a loose/corroded connection.

But in other cases say you were signed up for a 8Mb plan but your reported modem sync is reporting 4Mb (actually 4.096Mb) and your internet connection is rock solid but you thought an 8Mb (actually 8.192Mb) line should be working faster/seems to be slower than expected; well, the ISP probably has not set you up properly/still has you coded for a 4Mb plan although you are paying for an 8Mb plan. ADSL speed plans really go by multiples of 1.024Mb. An advertised 6Mb plan is really a 6.144Mb raw speed plan, a 9Mb plan is really 9.216Mb, etc., and that is modem sync speed you should have (remember, it may report about 1.024Mb higher for some ISPs/plans).

Now, if you Sync speed is OK but in speedtests to Bangkok servers you get about 10-15% lower speed than your Sync speed then you could still be OK, as depending on how the ISP had there network setup, the speedtest is reporting your actual "data" flow speed minus the ADSL overhead control bits which run in the 10-15% range. Due to these overhead control bits I think this is why some ISP crank the Sync speed up 1Mb (1.024Mb) just so people do see the advertised "in-Thailand" speed the plan advertised/is sold as. Other plans like TOT, don't generally do this but in "my experience" TOT does mention this during signup...usually is a piece of paper where they show the plans advertised speed and the actual data speed which subtracts the ADSL overhead control bits.....bits that is only help to carry you data/move it along....kinda like a couple of border collies (the control bits) moving along a herd of sheep (your data).

Now if your modem stats are good, then your ISP is probably having problems with some/all of its servers or it's main bandwidth/trunk lines....and probably a lot of people are being affected....maybe everyone is having the problem if it's a problem at that core servers/national gateway/international gateway.

I have a 10mbit connection with TRUE.

noise margin upstream: 27 db

output power downstream: 9 db

attenuation upstream: 8 db

Is that too low? I'm experienceing timeouts and a laggy connection as well since a few days.

Edit: after resetting the DSL line i get this:

output power downstream: 12 db

Still too low?

Edited by differentbutsamesame

Is that too low? I'm experienceing timeouts and a laggy connection as well since a few days.

Still too low?

Looks similar to mine.

Also post 'downstream' figures as well...

Edited by Supernova

Still too low?

Those are excellent numbers. Be sure to check when a timeout/laggy connection occurs. You left out an important number of the modem "sync" speed or it might be listed as "Attainable" speed in your modem's status/diagnostic menu. . You want to make sure your sync speed is at least 10Mb also since you are paying for a 10Mb package....this sync speed is the raw connection speed between your modem and the central station/DSLAM. Also need your downstream SNR. If these numbers checkout, then it's probably not a physical line issue between the modem and DSLAM but just a server/bandwidth issue, locally or wide-spread, with your internet service provider (ISP)....or an equipment problem between the DSLAM and the ISP's main servers. A person can easily have a great connection between his residence and the DSLAM but not get/lose an IP address connection issued from the ISP's central servers which means no internet connection. This happened to me about 3 months ago on my TOT 6MB ADSL at the time after a lightning storm....I had great physical line metrics (i.e., SNR, attenuation, Sync speed, etc) between the modem and the central station/DSLAM but no internet connection because I wasn't getting an IP address issued by the ISP central servers....I called the ISP and stressed my modem metrics looked great...they said they would work the problem...about two hours later I had an IP address/internet connection.

Edited by Pib

DSL downstream/upstream speed 11776 kbps / 1197 kbps

LAN 100M/Fullduplex

WAN 54M

DSL line status as of today from my TRUE Zyxel router:

I have to say the connection started to get laggy after the heavy rainfall and thunderstorms this week. If the problem persists i will call TRUE customer service.

Also keep in mind it's not uncommon for your connection to get laggy at certain times of the day/night just due to heavy usage. While your modem stats will probably still reflect a solid/full speed connection to the DSLAM, it just that more people are online using the available bandwidth. You might not even be able to get a full speed to your ISP's speedtester because of the heavy usage. Kinda like hooking up a bunch more water hoses to one faucet....the water flow from each hose will get lower and lower as each additional hose is hooked up.

I know for me, starting around 7pm till 11pm on most nights I notice a slow down in the "snappiness" of my browsing...it's not enough to really bother me; it's I just notice the slowdown. And doing speedtests to international web sites and even some "in-Thailand" web sites confirms the slow down during this period.