Sony Nex-7

Tywais

Following along with the Sony A77 topic of which appears to be a great camera, I saw that the NEX-7 will be released around the same time. I've been putting off a dSLR or similar camera as there are always some minor limitation or issues that prevent me from making that step. Both the A77 and NEX-7 looks like it fits all my needs with my preference leaning toward the NEX-7 as I would prefer a lighter more portable camera.

NEX-7, many features same as the A77

• All new 24MP APS-C CMOS sensor (shared with the SLT-A7 and A657)
  • ISO 100-16000
  • Built-in 2.4M dot OLED EVF with eye sensor
  • Electronic first-curtain shutter (cuts response time from 100ms to 20ms)
  • 'AVCHD Progressive' 1080p60 HD movie recording with built-in stereo mic
  • Tilting rear screen
  • Three-dial user interface
  • Built in flash and Alpha hotshoe
  • Infra-red remote control receiver
  • Microphone input socket

dpreview.com

Best viewed at 1080 on the YouTube site.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7HTawf1agw

The NEX-7 is an impressive body, but the problem with the NEX range is the currently very poor selection of lenses; both in terms of size (far too big compared to the bodies) and the range (limited).

On the other hand, the Micro four third lens range just keeps getting better and better, The new Olympus 12mm prime is gorgeous, There's the new Panasonic Leica 25mm F.14, and the new, tiny X series zooms announced by Panasonic last week. Plus, the incomparable Voigtlander 25mm F0.95 which I have the pleasure of owning.

As a system, I think micro four thirds is still ahead of NEX; just looking forward to the promised "pro" body from Panasonic at the end of the year.

Edited by hughden

The NEX-7 is an impressive body, but the problem with the NEX range is the currently very poor selection of lenses;

I agree that is an issue I have to consider. When I was researching the 7 it seems 3 new lenses are coming out shortly. 55-210mm / F4.5-6.3 zoom lens and fixed 50mm / F1.8 and 24mm / F1.8. Plus a newer adapter for A-mount lenses is now available. The Alpha A77 certainly is a better choice in this regards. And since it will be nearly two months before either are released will have to see if Canon does something interesting.

Plus a newer adapter for A-mount lenses is now available.

If I understand that right with the adapter you can use all lenses working for Sony Alpha serie, lots of Carl Zeiss etc.

;):ermm::lol:

Yep. Believe one forum mentioned a nice Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA just coming out - bit pricey for me at $1000 though. ;)

Quite a few choices of A-mount lenses shown on the Sony site - some new ones just coming out also not shown > Alpha mount lenses. E-lenses are quite limited at the moment but indications there will be several new releases over the next few months.

You can get adapters for both NEX and micro four thirds which will allow you to fit a wide range of lenses. Some of the old rangefinder camera lenses are of high quality, and small in size. I have the Contax G Zeiss 45mm F2 (for many years tested as the best lens in the world, and still sitting in second place), which cost me less than $300 and produces lovely images. Is much smaller in reality than it looks in the photo.

You can get a wide range of very interesting, and usually very cheap, lenses to stick on these cameras with an appropriate adapters. Some of my admittedly too large collection includes the Navitar 75mm F1.3 TV lens which cost $120, shown front view with the camera sitting on top of a Yashica 55mm macro lens which is a fabulous macro and portrait lens. The long silver beast is an Angenieux 17-68mm movie lens. The stubby little Leica copy is a Russian Industar 50mm of indeterminate age which arrived from the Ukraine for the princely sum of $28.

You need an adapter for each type of lens and you have to manual focus, but that is easy to do with a GF1 and I now prefer manual focusing, even with auto focus lenses. I bought all the lenses and adapters from eBay, all arrived in Thailand with no problems and no taxes demanded.

Messing about with legacy lenses is one of the secret delights of owning a micro four thirds or NEX camera; but there is a danger of getting carried away....

post-3752-0-67538000-1314499385_thumb.jp

post-3752-0-33790100-1314499846_thumb.jp

post-3752-0-54218900-1314500013_thumb.jp

post-3752-0-88118400-1314500509_thumb.jp

post-3752-0-54260300-1314501089_thumb.jp

You can get adapters for both NEX and micro four thirds which will allow you to fit a wide range of lenses.

You need an adapter for each type of lens and you have to manual focus, but that is easy to do with a GF1 and I now prefer manual focusing, even with auto focus lenses. I bought all the lenses and adapters from eBay, all arrived in Thailand with no problems and no taxes demanded.

Messing about with legacy lenses is one of the secret delights of owning a micro four thirds or NEX camera; but there is a danger of getting carried away....

Thanks, good information and very interesting!

:DB):)

• 2 weeks later...

Hughden your right about that Voigtlander, my colleague has one for his EP1 and I must say the bokeh is brilliant. A bit pricey mind.

There are a ton of decent lenses for m4/3rds. I have been considering getting that Panasonic 100-300mm lens which is equivalent to 200-600mm, now sure its quite big, I have held it, but there's nothing smaller with this much reach.

http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/panasonic_lumix_g_vario_100_300mm_f4_56_mega_ois_review/sharpness_1/

Looks pretty good, just wondering how it compared with the 45-200mm

For me, the Sony Nex cameras lack 'proper' manual controls. There's something immediate and simple about control dials that just helps me to take better pictures.

The Sony DSLR's are very nice .... but too big for everyday use (like all DSLR's in my view).

Yes - Lumix G series have some nice lenses on the way, and I love my 20mm f1.7 ...

But the new Lumix G3 has lost some of the knobs from the G2 (my current camera) and so it seems to be more like an interchangeable lens point and shoot than the older G series.

So if I'm waiting to see the new GH3 (due end of this year) before deciding if I'm going to upgrade from my G2.

For me, the Sony Nex cameras lack 'proper' manual controls. There's something immediate and simple about control dials that just helps me to take better pictures.

The NEX-7 does have an interesting knob control setup though. Guess it depends on how manual you need.

Another unique feature is the Tri-Navi interface, which lets you use a pair of top-mounted control wheels along with the rear wheel to adjust a variety of settings simultaneously, without jumping into the system menu. In manual mode, for example, one wheel controls aperture, one controls shutter speed, and the third lets you adjust the ISO. The pre-production sample we saw didn't include a complete interface, unfortunately, so we weren't really able to see this in action. We're certainly excited about the concept, however.

2011-08-11-2011-08-11-dsc08067-post.jpg

Engadget

It looks great ... but I suspect the control knobs will be a bit like the touch screen on the G series ... good for a few features, but still not as intuitive as a control dial dedicated to exposure systems, ISO etc

But it does look nice! I'll have to have a look and a play when they arrive.

The Sony DSLR's are very nice .... but too big for everyday use (like all DSLR's in my view).

Yes - Lumix G series have some nice lenses on the way, and I love my 20mm f1.7 ...

But the new Lumix G3 has lost some of the knobs from the G2 (my current camera) and so it seems to be more like an interchangeable lens point and shoot than the older G series.

So if I'm waiting to see the new GH3 (due end of this year) before deciding if I'm going to upgrade from my G2.

Panasonic have promised a "pro" m4/3 camera sometime in the next few months; might be worthy of an upgrade.

Panasonic have promised a "pro" m4/3 camera sometime in the next few months; might be worthy of an upgrade.

I've heard that the new pro model will be like an upmarket version of the current GF3? But I really like to use a viewfinder so this is not for me. The Sony Nex series also lack a built in EVF, so for me, this limits it's value. In bright sun, even the best screen is a problem, and using a viewfinder enables you to concentrate on composition as the rest of the world has been blacked out. Also helps steady the camera (unless you have a wobbly head!).

So it's GH3 for me .... but I do keep looking at the Fuji X100 ..... I'm trying to avoid a meeting a me, the X100 and my credit card, all in the same shop.:D

The Sony Nex series also lack a built in EVF, so for me, this limits it's value.

Sorry to butt in again. :D

Arguably best of all though is the presence of a new electronic viewfinder packed into the corner. The absence of a viewfinder has always held back compact ILCs for many enthusiasts who often prefer to frame at eye-level for stability not to mention clarity in bright light. Some ILCs have offered viewfinders as an optional accessory - and indeed so does Sony for the new NEX 5N - but having one built-into a compact body is an undoubted advantage.

This alone would be enough to impress many buyers, but Sony hasn't just fitted any old electronic viewfinder to the NEX-7. It's developed the highest resolution OLED viewfinder display seen on any consumer camera to date, sporting nothing less than XGA resolution with over 2 million dots. Better still, the OLED technology should eliminate the rainbow tearing effect which often plagued previous field-sequential viewfinder displays. It's a big view too, which coupled with the high resolution should see many converts of optical viewfinders on all but the priciest DSLRs.

Camera Labs

Some sites have said it was the best viewfinder they've ever seen outside optical. The advantage is also seeing your info superimposed on a super high res viewfinder display.

2011-08-11-2011-08-11-dsc08078-post.jpg

I've heard that the new pro model will be like an upmarket version of the current GF3? But I really like to use a viewfinder so this is not for me. The Sony Nex series also lack a built in EVF, so for me, this limits it's value. In bright sun, even the best screen is a problem, and using a viewfinder enables you to concentrate on composition as the rest of the world has been blacked out. Also helps steady the camera (unless you have a wobbly head!).

So it's GH3 for me .... but I do keep looking at the Fuji X100 ..... I'm trying to avoid a meeting a me, the X100 and my credit card, all in the same shop.:D

"I'm trying to avoid a meeting a me, the X100 and my credit card, all in the same shop". I had that experience, and my credit card took the hit. The interface takes some getting used to, but the images are beautiful, right up to ISO 3200.

I would also be very disappointed if the pro version lacked a viewfinder. I was hoping G3, with more knobs and metal construction. We will see. It's intended to mark the anniversary of the Lumix brand, so it should be a bit special.

The Sony Nex series also lack a built in EVF, so for me, this limits it's value.

Sorry to butt in again. :D

Arguably best of all though is the presence of a new electronic viewfinder packed into the corner. The absence of a viewfinder has always held back compact ILCs for many enthusiasts who often prefer to frame at eye-level for stability not to mention clarity in bright light. Some ILCs have offered viewfinders as an optional accessory - and indeed so does Sony for the new NEX 5N - but having one built-into a compact body is an undoubted advantage.

This alone would be enough to impress many buyers, but Sony hasn't just fitted any old electronic viewfinder to the NEX-7. It's developed the highest resolution OLED viewfinder display seen on any consumer camera to date, sporting nothing less than XGA resolution with over 2 million dots. Better still, the OLED technology should eliminate the rainbow tearing effect which often plagued previous field-sequential viewfinder displays. It's a big view too, which coupled with the high resolution should see many converts of optical viewfinders on all but the priciest DSLRs.

Camera Labs

Some sites have said it was the best viewfinder they've ever seen outside optical. The advantage is also seeing your info superimposed on a super high res viewfinder display.

2011-08-11-2011-08-11-dsc08078-post.jpg

Oh ... nice ... tempting. But for me I've invested in Lumix Micro 4/3 lenses, so the Sony would need to be great to get me to switch. But if you already have Sony lenses it looks great.

So many nice new cameras about ..... so little spare cash!

But for me I've invested in Lumix Micro 4/3 lenses, so the Sony would need to be great to get me to switch. But if you already have Sony lenses it looks great.

So many nice new cameras about ..... so little spare cash!

I have yet to invest in a dSLR/mirrorless/micro 4/3 camera so that leaves me flexible. Remarkably difficult to make that decision still as I wait and something great is just around the corner. ;)

Also helps steady the camera (unless you have a wobbly head!). !!!

Plus immensely important = framing is much faster and precise. It is not possible to frame a shot securely with stretched out arms the screen 60cm away from your eyes.

I don't understand why this issue doesn't come up more often.

• 2 weeks later...

Hughden your right about that Voigtlander, my colleague has one for his EP1 and I must say the bokeh is brilliant. A bit pricey mind.

There are a ton of decent lenses for m4/3rds. I have been considering getting that Panasonic 100-300mm lens which is equivalent to 200-600mm, now sure its quite big, I have held it, but there's nothing smaller with this much reach.

http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/panasonic_lumix_g_vario_100_300mm_f4_56_mega_ois_review/sharpness_1/

Looks pretty good, just wondering how it compared with the 45-200mm

I had the 45-200mm and found it underwhelming. Sold it and got the 100-300mm which is a great lens.

post-3752-0-77520100-1316660029_thumb.jp