Cm Immigration Doing Their Best

Flatouthruthefog

If you can now get an appointment for visa extension etc on line why can't you do the 90 day report on line? After 12 years I think I must have reported at least 40 times.Waste of my time,paper and immigration staff time. Agree an option would be that you are required to do it ONLY if you change your address as suggested in a previous post.

Bureaucracy = more jobs.

As busy and frustrated as they appear to be, that's what's preferred - it's more secure.

The earlier you start to queue the better - no lay offs or moves.

Any problems I've run into at CM Immigration have usually been due to my own lack of awareness.

I did arrive at 7:30 once, and completely spaced out about signing in. That put me well back in the pack, and I had to return in the afternoon.

When I finally sat down with an officer, it was immediately obvious to me she knew her job very well, and was happy to oblige in any way she could. A rather complicated visa conversion required an extended conversation with her supervisor, but I was still out the door in less than a half hour.

Compared to my experiences with US government bureaucracies in the past, I'd have to give this one a five-star rating.

That they're doing the job under pressure, and with poor working conditions, makes it all the more impressive.

That they're doing the job under pressure, and with poor working conditions, makes it all the more impressive.

You've hit the nail on the head there. The problem is, there's just too many of us here in Chiang Mai. 8 to 10 yrs ago you'd never see so many foreigners at a visit to immigration. They need to expand to accommodate us. The appointment system will help, but they need a bigger building & more staff.

You've hit the nail on the head there. The problem is, there's just too many of us here in Chiang Mai. 8 to 10 yrs ago you'd never see so many foreigners at a visit to immigration. They need to expand to accommodate us. The appointment system will help, but they need a bigger building & more staff.

They only have six time slots per day.

If somehow they could arrange it for six time slots per officer, that would certainly help.

^^ 'They need to expand to accommodate us.'

Too true. In passing I suggested to the 90-Day head that they should consider moving to the area left (North) as you drive in to the HangDong Licensing Bureau which, BTW, is an extremely efficient organization. That area seems to be used as an ad hoc driver training circuit. Lots of land behind and beyond too.

He smiled and continued his stamping duties.

I hear a lot of people complain about the 90 day report (outside of Thai Visa). If the 90 day report is so onerous, why don't more folks just do it by post? It seems as if they have a very reasonable alternative, is there some problem with 90 day report by mail that I am not aware of (I haven't tried it myself)? I admit, I don't see the point of it but I am happy that they offer alternatives. They really do a good job with the resources they have to work with.

Edited by CPT

If your TM card gets lost in the mail or elsewhere, it would complicate things quite a bit, so most people prefer to do it themselves and it is a big waste of time. ;)

It would only be a copy though as the original is retained in your passport.

I asked the immigration guy, what happens if you don't receive it and he simply said; "send it registered and it will be OK". I'm not sure if he meant it will be OK because they would definitely get it, or it would be OK even if it got lost, as long as you can prove it was posted

Anyway I fully agree with UG, a big waste of time for us (though its job creation for them).

In the past, one was required to send the original TM card - which I am not going to do. Have they changed that?

Based on all the reports I've read regarding mailing in the 90 day report across the Thaivisa forums, never seen anyone require the actual TM card to be sent.

I hear a lot of people complain about the 90 day report (outside of Thai Visa). If the 90 day report is so onerous, why don't more folks just do it by post? It seems as if they have a very reasonable alternative, is there some problem with 90 day report by mail that I am not aware of (I haven't tried it myself)? I admit, I don't see the point of it but I am happy that they offer alternatives. They really do a good job with the resources they have to work with.

One address I was living at seemed to lose large amounts of mail.. I dont especially feel like trusting my immigration status, to a system whose reliability is in doubt.

Now if we had an online process, one where you were sure that once you did your part it was registered and recorded.. I would be all over that. Seems a lot less labor intensive than the manpower involved now.

Based on some of the comments above, today I showed up at CM Immigration at 1:30PM to do my 90 Day Reporting. I took a number and barely had time to sit down before my number was called. I was in and out in probably 5 minutes.

While I was being processed, a westerner walked up to the counter with his paperwork, and no number. He was politely instructed to go take a number. Of course he had to make a show of it by saying "What? Even for a 90 day report?" He continued to grumble as he walked away. If he had just taken the number in the first place, he probably would have been called in the same amount of time it took him to express his displeasure with the system.

Interesting though, the Immigration Officer, though very friendly, asked me where I lived, what was the name of the village, and how long had I been living there. Even though he had the info in front of him, it was as though he wanted to verify I at least knew from memory where I lived. Never happened before. No matter, It was still quick and easy, and I thanked him for being so fast today, which elicited a smile.

;)

Edited by silverhawk_usa

While I was being processed, a westerner walked up to the counter with his paperwork, and no number. He was politely instructed to go take a number. Of course he had to make a show of it by saying "What? Even for a 90 day report?" He continued to grumble as he walked away. If he had just taken the number in the first place, he probably would have been called in the same amount of time it took him to express his displeasure with the system.

;)

We have a word for such people I am guessing that the guys in immigration also have their own in Thai- love to know what it is although I have some ideas.:D.

Just out of curiosity what is the problem with the 90 day and retirement renewal at immigration.

If you are retired it should ber no problem. Last renewal I made went in at 1:00 out in two hours last 90 day got there about 7:45 out at 9:15

What are retired people doing that they can not spend the time taking care of their visas. Kind of ridicules to ask a government to streamline their system for a miniscule number of people who are retired and should have no problem with the time involved.

Maybe your time has no value.. Mine does..

And if not retired ?? Time off work for the workers.. Married men (I say men as women get a very easy route to citizenship).. Etc.

And this time out accomplishes what exactly.. Hello again.. Still at the same address again... Nothing at all gained or learnt (again).. See you in 90 days then !!

Just a monumental waste of everyones time, and yet cant see any point in it..

If you are working and your company employs foreigners they will usually have direct contact to someone i immigration to help expedite the paperwork.

I know mine does, 90 days reporting in less than 10 minutes and it doesn't matter what time you turn up.

In the past, one was required to send the original TM card - which I am not going to do. Have they changed that?

Based on all the reports I've read regarding mailing in the 90 day report across the Thaivisa forums, never seen anyone require the actual TM card to be sent.

I reported by mail for many years, in Bangkok, because I was a long way from their office.I never had to forward the original TM card.Every requirement required only a photo copy.They then advised me,after 3 years, I could no longer do it by mail ,had to come in to their office which in Bangkok was nightmare and half a days work lost. In Chiang Mai I am not sure you could get away with mailing if you lived in close proximity to the city. As has been mentioned previously 90 day reporting, despite being a waste of time, is a relatively simple process providing you dont rock up at 9am.

Based on some of the comments above, today I showed up at CM Immigration at 1:30PM to do my 90 Day Reporting. I took a number and barely had time to sit down before my number was called. I was in and out in probably 5 minutes.

Interesting though, the Immigration Officer, though very friendly, asked me where I lived, what was the name of the village, and how long had I been living there. Even though he had the info in front of him, it was as though he wanted to verify I at least knew from memory where I lived. Never happened before. No matter, It was still quick and easy, and I thanked him for being so fast today, which elicited a smile.

;)

I think the older guy who always seems to work the 90-day desk just gets bored from time-to-time. Recently I asked Hubby to do my 90-day report and that Immigration officer asked him if I were in the country. Duh, how could I be out of the country if Hubby had my passport in his hand? Maybe just trying to trip him up. Maybe just bored and having some fun.

Edited by NancyL

Just out of curiosity what is the problem with the 90 day and retirement renewal at immigration.

If you are retired it should ber no problem. Last renewal I made went in at 1:00 out in two hours last 90 day got there about 7:45 out at 9:15

What are retired people doing that they can not spend the time taking care of their visas. Kind of ridicules to ask a government to streamline their system for a miniscule number of people who are retired and should have no problem with the time involved.

And if not retired ?? Time off work for the workers.. Married men (I say men as women get a very easy route to citizenship).. Etc.

And this time out accomplishes what exactly.. Hello again.. Still at the same address again... Nothing at all gained or learnt (again).. See you in 90 days then !!

If you are working and your company employs foreigners they will usually have direct contact to someone i immigration to help expedite the paperwork.

I know mine does, 90 days reporting in less than 10 minutes and it doesn't matter what time you turn up.

Should we chalk this up as "money under the table" ? :whistling:

If you are working what are you doing with a retirement visa you obviously have the means to survive with out working. Kind of like double dipping and you begrudge the three to five hours a year to do it. Me thinks you are a little bit ungrateful. Where you come from would you be allowed to draw a good sized pension and continue working at a job that 3 to 5 hours a year is to much time.

If you are working what are you doing with a retirement visa you obviously have the means to survive with out working. Kind of like double dipping and you begrudge the three to five hours a year to do it. Me thinks you are a little bit ungrateful. Where you come from would you be allowed to draw a good sized pension and continue working at a job that 3 to 5 hours a year is to much time.

WOW, you learned to write without reading, I'm impressed.

The post I replied to is about people working not having the time of retired people. I make absolutely no reference to being retired, I'm 36 for c...st sake, how can I be retired?

With a work permit you still need to do 90 day reporting, which I do.

Should we chalk this up as "money under the table" ? :whistling:

I don't know about that.

But last time I came back from Denmark there was some problem with my entry stamp and my re-entry permit. The lady at immigration sorted it out without any of the regular fees, so next day I went back and gave her a box of chocolates I had brought from back home.

Ever since everybody from my company has been received and taken care of by this person without having to que.

What comes around goes around I guess.

;)

I think the older guy who always seems to work the 90-day desk just gets bored from time-to-time. Recently I asked Hubby to do my 90-day report and that Immigration officer asked him if I were in the country. Duh, how could I be out of the country if Hubby had my passport in his hand? Maybe just trying to trip him up. Maybe just bored and having some fun.

Actually this was a younger guy that I haven't seen before. Quite proficient in English and worked fairly quick. They had 3 guys working the desk and things were moving right along. No complaints.