Unidentified Foreigner Found Dead In Phitsanulok

Lite Beer

Thoughts are with the family, next of kin.

I don't see how crimes reported in the USA have any bearing on this.

If the rescue workers told the police he could speak Thai, then one assumes they knew which country he came from.

I can't see why you assume this unless they had asked him. while native english speakers can often pick regional accents, it is very unusual for non-native speakers to have this ability. Can you pick Thai regional accents - I'm told that Thais can quite easily.

Edited by OzMick

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One can only speculate about the circumstances leading up to this tragic event. Suicide....NO WAY!

I have been to Phitsanulok and never experienced or felt a threat to my safety. It has been said that the attitudes of Thai's in the central and northern regions are generally passive, friendly and and "somewhat" honest.

Sad case indeed, and I certainly hope the perps are apprehended and prosecuted!

Feel for the victim and his family!

WHO say's it is suicide - people seem to have a fixation with this word. The police have said they are looking for the MURDERER!!!!:huh:

'OzMick'[/size] timestamp='1314514683' post='4656120']

If the rescue workers told the police he could speak Thai, then one assumes they knew which country he came from.

I can see why you assume this unless they had asked him. while native english speakers can often pick regional accents, it is very unusual for non-native speakers to have this ability. Can you pick Thai regional accents - I'm told that Thais can quite easily.

Sorry for asking, but What does this mean!!!!

Horrific and condolences to next of kin.

Have seen in the North and North East, many situations where the Thai wife and/or family members get involved in heavy gambling or lottery debt. Only to have the enforcers come to the Farang husband for payment.

This and other such activities do go on, some pack thier bags and go (the sensible ones) others pay off the debt and others just get involved, trying to stand thier ground

This is not to say Farang do not get involved in their own dangerous activities, it is just one of the scenarios. R.I.P.

Choose your wife carefuly

Edited by metisdead
Font reset, use default forum font when posting.

I assume he was either unconscious when the bag was placed over his head or his hands were tied. Further if his eyes and mouth were taped I would assume the death was not intended, there is no point in preventing someone from seeing you if you intend to kill them.

So any people jump to conclusions and run out the old chestnuts of the police ( which we all know about ) and the minority of Thais who are resentful.

If the autopsy shows that it was a self-induced sexual practice, everyone will very quietly stop their mutterings.

Either way, I feel sorry for the poor bloke. he was a young man with all of life before him.

If, and only if he was murdered, I hope the Rule of Law is applied fully by the judiciary, after those servants of the sovereignty of Thailand who happen to wear brown shirts pause in their daily stealing and catch the perpetrator(s).

'OzMick'[/size] timestamp='1314514683' post='4656120']

I can see why you assume this unless they had asked him. while native english speakers can often pick regional accents, it is very unusual for non-native speakers to have this ability. Can you pick Thai regional accents - I'm told that Thais can quite easily.

Sorry for asking, but What does this mean!!!!

You got to it before I edited the "can" to "can't". In short, just because people know that he speaks Thai, doesn't mean that they will know his country of origin.

Does anyone know how PHITSANULOK ranks in terms of friendliness towards foreigners? Just curious since I've always thought Thais are friendlier outside of Bangkok. Maybe I'm wrong...but it seems to have been my experience.

Thai's are much friendlier outside of bangko0k. the primary reason for that is that the drunk rowdy, ill mannered foreigners tend to stay in the red light districts also they are rude, ill mannered, and demanding of the thai's working in Bangkok and after about a year the thai's think all falongs are like that.

If an autopsy is needed?

That's a strange comment or is this a huge misinterpretation?

Although the cause of death may appear obvious, an autopsy must be conducted in order to legally establish the cause of death and forward ahead as a murder investigation..

Do a search on Google and you will be amazed at how many farangs meet a drastic end per year in Thailand. It`s almost wholesale slaughter and if this wasn't so tragic it could almost be classified as a joke.

I have to wonder what these people are doing here, what and who they become involved with?

I think you use wrong wording - "whole slaughter" is just ridiculous. Most of the cases are solved when foreigners are involved. In Hua Hin in 5 years I only become aware of 2 murder cases involving a foreigner and 2 suicides and I mean suicide. The murder cases have both been solved and culprits apprehended.

It is very boring, everytime someone dies, I read the same silly comments. A bit more facts and details would help.

I can't see why you assume this unless they had asked him. while native english speakers can often pick regional accents, it is very unusual for non-native speakers to have this ability. Can you pick Thai regional accents - I'm told that Thais can quite easily.

When you speak Thai the first thing you are always asked by Thais is where you come from along with how long you have been in country. If the rescue workers hadn't spoken to him how did they know he spoke Thai ?

And yes I can pick up on regional accents but can usually lump them into Bangkok and eastern seaboard, North, South, Isaan. In fact I find that easier than telling whether someones from say Sweden or Norway.

Not that any of this matters. Hope the police find out who did this.

Edited by Geekfreaklover

When you speak Thai the first thing you are always asked is where you come from along with how long you have been in country. And yes I can pick up on regional accents but can usually lump them into Bangkok and eastern seaboard, North, South, Isaan.

Your Thai is obviously much better than mine, industrial deafness doesn't help much either.

This is just going to be another thread bagging the cops.

No one talks about who is running the police force and why they do such a half ass job.

There has to be reasons.

Considering you can literally buy your way onto the police force and pay more to move up the ranks, it is not surprising that many of them are incapable of doing actual police / investigative work.

Regarding the victim, if the workers saw him around on his bike and knew he could speak Thai, then it wouldn't take but a few minutes for someone to know who he is. Even someone who bought their way onto the police force should be able to come to that conclusion.

Thai's are much friendlier outside of bangko0k. the primary reason for that is that the drunk rowdy, ill mannered foreigners tend to stay in the red light districts also they are rude, ill mannered, and demanding of the thai's working in Bangkok and after about a year the thai's think all falongs are like that.

The least friendly Thais I have encountered are in the South, in particular Samui and Phuket.

The way Thais are has little, if anything at all to do with the foreigners that frequent red light districts and more to do with their own lack of education, closed mindedness, misguided belief that Thailand is the centre of the universe and the myth that is their country's history.

When you speak Thai the first thing you are always asked by Thais is where you come from along with how long you have been in country. If the rescue workers hadn't spoken to him how did they know he spoke Thai ?

I'd agree with that. Can't remember a new Thai I've met out and about who didn't at least ask me where I came from within the first minute.

The least friendly Thais I have encountered are in the South, in particular Samui and Phuket.

The way Thais are has little, if anything at all to do with the foreigners that frequent red light districts and more to do with their own lack of education, closed mindedness, misguided belief that Thailand is the centre of the universe and the myth that is their country's history.

A note is that I have always considered Samui and Phuket to be in the 'west', not explicitly the 'South' of Thailand.

And both places have a lot of people not from that region as their main source of workers/scammers.

How would the rescue workers know if he could speak Thai if they found him dead?

Maybe because they've met him before........................:jap:

Does anyone know how PHITSANULOK ranks in terms of friendliness towards foreigners? Just curious since I've always thought Thais are friendlier outside of Bangkok. Maybe I'm wrong...but it seems to have been my experience.

Interesting. To conclude, how friendly Thais be in an area, because the body of a western man was found there. When I follow this argument, it seems, Thai people in Pattaya must be very unfriendly. Otherwise not so much foreigners would jump from roofs and get killed... strange logic.

This is not to say Farang do not get involved in their own dangerous activities, it is just one of the scenarios. R.I.P.

Choose your wife carefuly

Also another great opinion. Someone's dead and you recommend to choose your THAI wife carefully??? You know more then others?

Honestly, when I read most statements here, I'm only wondering. So many prejudgments of people.

It doesn't matter,from which countries those members come, writing something like this. But I'm sure in each of this countries also Thai people were killed and made suicide. So I guess, I also should warn here. Because, if I believe in this statements made here in this thread, I simply have to conclude, we are all unfriendly people. And as for sure most dead Thais in your and our home countries are female, we also should say "choose your (Farang) spouse very careful".

Someone is dead. He could be killed, but he also could have made suicide. We don't know. We only know, what ever is behind this story, it is a sad story. Why such sad stories always be used to make such prejudgements, I won't understand. Do you feel boring? You hate Thais? What you do here (in a Thailand related forum and in Thailand itself), if you think so about people here??? Why???

My condolences to the family.

Sorry, but I don’t get your point. Is it possible that you accidentally replied to another topic? :jap:

A note is that I have always considered Samui and Phuket to be in the 'west', not explicitly the 'South' of Thailand.

And both places have a lot of people not from that region as their main source of workers/scammers.

Exactly the majority of real locals are sweet as pie,

the ones who come form elsewhere to make money

are mercenaries, and there are a lot of them.

For example, the majority of Phuket Taxi gougers are not from Phuket.

Same goes for much of the meter taxi thieves on Samui.

As per Wikipedia......

The per 100,000 people murder rate for America is 5.0

The per 100,000 people murder rate for Thailand is 5.9

What would be fascinating to see would be the tourist murder rate per 100,000 here in Thailand.

But I suspect that figure is not open to public knowledge...... :whistling:

Would also like to see the tourist murder rate per 100,000 in the USA. Bet it is way less than in Thailand. Pretty sure Thailand leads the world in that rate.

I'd agree with that. Can't remember a new Thai I've met out and about who didn't at least ask me where I came from within the first minute.

Who was he==what nationality== Well for starters he was a foreigner, not passing through as he seemed to be known, drinker, motor bike,

So he bought a motorbike(local) ?? in his name-with his money ??? drinker local..bought drink where-cash or card ?? eat his food where ??? used a bank, more than likely ?? No I.D . Some or many persons must have known where he stayed. ( I know for miles around everyone knows who I am and where I live and what I do and where I go without me telling them. surely all these pointers will lead them to where he stayed, to then find some I.D.--- they said they are looking for a murderer, better get asking local people and businesses then surely they will have some clues. The mind boggles maybe I'm being too stupid and missed something here. Please don't tell me I am, I'm sure someone will.B)

As per Wikipedia......

The per 100,000 people murder rate for America is 5.0

The per 100,000 people murder rate for Thailand is 5.9

What would be fascinating to see would be the tourist murder rate per 100,000 here in Thailand.

But I suspect that figure is not open to public knowledge...... :whistling:

Would also like to see the tourist murder rate per 100,000 in the USA. Bet it is way less than in Thailand. Pretty sure Thailand leads the world in that rate.

Pretty sure you're full of crap.

I don't know where to find statistics on your nationality of choice, but the US State Department has the following website devoted to details of non-natural deaths of US Citizens abroad:

http://travel.state.gov/law/family_issues/death/death_600.html?country

BY FAR the country with the most homicides of Americans in 2010 was Mexico, with over 100 cases.

There were 13 Americans murdered in the Philippines, nine in Honduras, eight Americans in Haiti, seven in the Dominican Republic, six each in Colombia, Costa Rica, and El Salvador, five each in Guatemala, Nigeria, and Jamaica.

Thailand had a grand total of ONE murder of an American in 2010.

The amount of pure, unfiltered garbage posted on TV continues unabated.

I assume he was either unconscious when the bag was placed over his head or his hands were tied. Further if his eyes and mouth were taped I would assume the death was not intended, there is no point in preventing someone from seeing you if you intend to kill them.

There is a common Thai belief that if a victim sees the murderer before the victim dies, the .latter's spirit will haunt the murderer the rest of his life.