Looking For Apartment In Downtown Cm

DowntownAl

G'day folks. I am looking for a small apartment in downtown CM. I would prefer to live in the old city but outside and around would be cool too. I am a total cheapskate (see: retired low/fixed income) so keeping things below 5,000B would be way cool. About the only requirements I have are: not too many stairs to walk up (I'm an old fart), a balcony (hate being locked up in a box) a decent shower (cleanliness is close to…), good wi-fi (I spend a lot of time here and there) and a small kitchen area (there's that cheapskate popping his head up again). Oh yeah, need it fully furnished too. I'm over at Loi Kroh soi 2 now and that area would be good too as long as it's not too far from the old town market etc. Thanks in advance to any info to come.

I don't think you'd get all that for under 5K baht.

Like the other posters say, its the kitchen requirement that sets it apart. Very very small % of apartment rentals have any kitchen facilities, as Thais just tend to "make do" with whatever space available.

Take the kitchen area out and you could find a decent, clean place virtually anywhere in CM for well under 5K baht.

Like the other posters say, its the kitchen requirement that sets it apart. Very very small % of apartment rentals have any kitchen facilities, as Thais just tend to "make do" with whatever space available.

Take the kitchen area out and you could find a decent, clean place virtually anywhere in CM for well under 5K baht.

That being said, we got a small electric oven that does the trick for around 1k baht and a NICE "stove" with grill, complete with pot and lids, for around the same (1k). Our "kitchen" came with only a toaster (?) and a hot water dispenser, but we have a full "western-style" now and abuse the hell out of it.

Also, our building has a ton of studios available around your price range, and I love the location. Very near old city, but within walking distance of anything you'd need and tuktuks and red trucks almost on your doorstep if otherwise. 103 Condo, Project 2.

That being said, we got a small electric oven that does the trick for around 1k baht and a NICE "stove" with grill, complete with pot and lids, for around the same (1k). Our "kitchen" came with only a toaster (?) and a hot water dispenser, but we have a full "western-style" now and abuse the hell out of it.

Also, our building has a ton of studios available around your price range, and I love the location. Very near old city, but within walking distance of anything you'd need and tuktuks and red trucks almost on your doorstep if otherwise. 103 Condo, Project 2.

Yeah, that's what I meant about Thais "making do" - just get yourself a portable oven or gas cooker, and you can do amazing things (if you can cook!) - no need to spend the "kitchen surcharge" (several thousand baht per month I would guess) - just improvise.

Yeah, that's what I meant about Thais "making do" - just get yourself a portable oven or gas cooker, and you can do amazing things (if you can cook!) - no need to spend the "kitchen surcharge" (several thousand baht per month I would guess) - just improvise.

If you want to go the DIY route, then you should probably check to make sure it is ok to have a portable oven, toaster or cooker. Some places may not allow cooking. Or I guess you can take your chances and sneak it in.

If you want to go the DIY route, then you should probably check to make sure it is ok to have a portable oven, toaster or cooker. Some places may not allow cooking. Or I guess you can take your chances and sneak it in.

I've known plenty of Thais sneaking dogs into "no pets" apartments, I don't think the odd microwave or gas cooker is going to upset anyone unduly!

I totally agree, when looking at apartment ads it’s clear that a kitchen does raise the price noticeably. I am thinking, like most of the posters here, that a microwave, a toaster and maybe even an electric grill out on the balcony (covered for those wonderful massive downpours we get in the tropics) for frying the occasional whatever (when they’re in season of course) would do the trick. I have heard other people say that the cost of cooking at home can actually exceed going out. I guess my main point on that is that I’m occasionally butt lazy and the two block walk to the local is just to much of a problem sometimes.

If you are willing to spend 7000-7500 baht a month and live just off of Huay Kaew Road near Kad Saun Kaew, and sign a 6 or 12 month lease, you can get a furnished studio room of just under 40 square metres. Water and electricity are billed at government rates, and you have to pay extra for television cable and internet, but you will have an area for food preparation and cooking. All condo's have units that are privately owned, and the decoration and amenities in each condo varies, and the owners look for reliable, longer term tenants.

So, try Nakorn-Ping Condominium on the soi across from the Shell Station on Huay Kaew Road.

Some visiting friends of mine rented an apartment in a building next to WETV office in town. They didn't use it a lot of the time as were touring around Asia so wanted a cheap base to come back to.

Sorry I don't remember the name of the place but next to or almost next to WETV office; the car park of the building is on right and building on left of the site. Rooms pretty big with small balcony. I think the price was around 5k

http://www.wetv.co.th/en_contact.php

(Map)

I think before the WETV office but not positive; but definitely on the same side as WETV in that soi.