Phitsanulok-gf,s Hometown

gbt71fa

I am going to my GF's hometown of Phitsanulok in late December. Has anybody been there? I try to do a search for it on internet but all I get is a few pictures and historical pieces. Does anyone have good info on the city and what is all about?

I am going to my GF's hometown of Phitsanulok in late December.  Has anybody been there?  I try to do a search for it on internet but all I get is a few pictures and historical pieces.  Does anyone have good info on the city and what is all about?

yes, it is a nice small town, nothing much for a tourist to see

It is interesting as a typical Thai place, and used to have some bronze foundries which were worth a visit (maybe still has?)

It is also near famous Sukothai, great for tourists, with the old ruins etc

have a nice time :o

I am going to my GF's hometown of Phitsanulok in late December.  Has anybody been there?  I try to do a search for it on internet but all I get is a few pictures and historical pieces.  Does anyone have good info on the city and what is all about?

there are some nice mountain rivers not far and sukothai is not far. - remember she might also come from a village in the Phitsanulok area . it is about 4-5 hours by bus from mochit station.

attached a couple of local area maps for your perusal

post-5232-1130909969_thumb.jpg

post-5232-1130909996_thumb.jpg

there are some nice mountain rivers not far and sukothai is not far. - remember she might also come from a village in the Phitsanulok area . it is about 4-5 hours by bus from mochit station.

attached a couple of local area maps for your perusal

thanks to the both of you. I think she is near the river-Yom? Kwai?

There is a nice Wat called Phra Si Ratana Mahathat with Chinnarat Buddha Inside. It is a very nice place to go and during the day has a big market setup selling various item.

The Wat is over by the big shopping area and convention center I think it is called Topland, or at least the hotel attached to everything is called Topland. It has a pretty sweet pool on the 5th or 6th floor outside that gives a decent view of the area. They even have a KFC, pizza place and a swensons inside. If you like Thai food there are some great restraunts in the streets around the hotel. I can't remeber the names though.

When on my way to Uttaradit I usually fly into the airport at Phitsanulok and hang out for a night. Nice area and very friendly people from my expierence. I seldomly see other farangs wondering around outside of the airport.

I always laugh when my gf says Phitsanulok, as to me it sounds like she is saying piss-in-road.

:o

Anyway in my opinion a great town to visit or live.

It's a big town as the previous writer said. ....definitely not a nice small town. It was a nice town back in 1978 when I first went there. The river was wide and the banks were lined with houseboats. Now the "river" is a muddy, concrete lined canal at best......more like a drain like nearly all the rivers in the land. Went to the flying vege restaurant for phak bung fai daeng but the walk back to the hotel my wife wasn't too keen about. Looks like the sort of city which has taken back a lot of the dregs who couldn't cut it in Bangkok. We definitely won't be back.

Hi!

I think you will like it there :o

Below Info of Phitsanulok, from Tourism Authority of Thailand will be useful for you.

http://www.tourismthailand.org/destination...x?provinceid=52

Check it out and enjoy your coming trip.

:D

If you replaced the 'P' in Phitsanulok with an 'S' you would get a close approximation to what sort of town it is.

I lived there for 2 months and ended up quitting my job and leaving. I never had one decent meal the whole time I was there - except one - which gave me the runs!

There are so many stray dogs you have to spend your time avoiding all the turds that are lying around.

Most of the people I met were nice - they have a night bazaar, but unless you are a female teenager there will be almost nothing of interest there.

I would agree that the flying morning glory restaurant is fun - doesn't taste good, but it's fun to see!

The roads around the town are so narrow and I've driven around most of Issan and the north and would definitely say thet Pi'lok drivers are the worst!

But, good luck anyway!!

PS. unless you are near an airport or market you will find it next to impossible to get a tuk, tuk. bus, etc

Edited by Grant

If you replaced the 'P' in Phitsanulok with an 'S' you would get a close approximation to what sort of town it is.

I lived there for 2 months and ended up quitting my job and leaving.  I never had one decent meal the whole time I was there - except one - which gave me the runs! 

There are so many stray dogs you have to spend your time avoiding all the turds that are lying around.

Most of the people I met were nice - they have a night bazaar, but unless you are a female teenager there will be almost nothing of interest there.

I would agree that the flying morning glory restaurant is fun - doesn't taste good, but it's fun to see!

The roads around the town are so narrow and I've driven around most of Issan and the north and would definitely say thet Pi'lok drivers are the worst!

But, good luck anyway!!

PS.  unless you are near an airport or market you will find it next to impossible to get a tuk, tuk. bus, etc

so long as nobody tries to blow me up or shoot at me and there is green and water then I'm good to go. Paradis is where you make it, I guess.

...and would definitely say thet Pi'lok drivers are the worst!

Grrrr :o

Had my first and worst caraccident there. An old Mitsu Lancer with a Pissontherock pisshead in it ignored in obvious stupid manner our right of way. His damage was 10 times higher than ours but our beloved Tiger was just half a year old

:D .

First he tried to <deleted> around but our insuranceboy who really arrived fast made him shut up.

Patex