BoJangles Budget Bungalow in the Boonies

The filter must have a good flow rate going through it, if it can keep up with the pressure.

Yes it is a matter of area.

If you look at the picture of the filter open you see the clean water is passed through the center of the filter to the house.

So it has all the circumference area of the filter to draw from.

PS: there are various types of cartridges for the filter.

Rated at different microns.

Even charcoal types.

But I like the one that is made of string.

Called a wound cartridge

It basically looks like a wound up roll of string.

Works very well

Cheers flying. Very helpful indeed :jap:

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Mrs just started this a couple of weeks ago. Anybody have any ideas what colour I should paint the walls :D

I call this BoJangles Budget Bungalow in the Boonies as I don't want to spend a fortune on a house that will be purely used for when we go up to the village for a couple of days at a time.

I haven't seen it yet but going up next week. It's difficult living in Saudi and trying to keep control of ideas etc. The wife and daughter came over last month when the schools finished in Saudi and she was only supposed to be doing the footings and waiting till I got there, so that i could approve the size and shape. But with the money I sent her she has got this far (her brothers are builders). Hope the rest of the build goes the same way but I can't see it :D

post-19542-0-95003600-1314674683_thumb.j

Shit, dont no what happened my reply just vanished, lets try again.

None of my business, I see you say budget house, this is just an observation.

Why is there no concrete beam at the top of your colums?

This means the steel roof beams are going to be welded to the rebar on your columns.

Are the coulums able to support the weight of the roof, what happens when the roof beams start to expand and contract?

The only reasons I can think of are, ignorance on the part of the builders, they just copy what everyone else in the area is building, or ignoarance on the part of the people having the house built.

The other reason is money, the budget set by the people having the house built, or as a money saving measure by the builders to maximise profits.

IMHO this design is a future problem waiting to happen, I would pay the extra and have concrete beams in place.

Others with a better understanding may be able to offer a logical explanation, comments or guidance.

This is a common construction method and there is nothing wrong with it. My garage/workshop was built about seven years ago and it has no problems.

post-17093-0-55790800-1320545642_thumb.j

Yeah, I think it's each to their own Gary.

As you say, it's a common method and many have them in our area and they have lasted years without any problems. For this particular build and what the house will be used for, I'm happy with the build method.

Albeit I said we were slowing down the build, work has been slowly carrying on, mainly at weekends if the wifes brothers had some spare time. Now I've had time to think, I have been making changes and her brothers have been great.

Sorry about the quality of the pictures. They were taken on the Neices phone and then e-mailed to us.

Looking left to right, is the front of the house with the first 2 sets of brickwork being our bedroom and the next being the daughters bedroom.

post-19542-0-85997000-1320583752_thumb.j

This is on the opposite side of the house. Again left to right. The kitchen is starting to be built at the rear, the wall with the window partially built is bed 3, then the living room and then the veranda.

post-19542-0-23972600-1320584028_thumb.j

This is looking from the rear. This is one of my "changes". When I first got to see the build that my wife had started, I didn't feel it was big enough as it had a small kitchen and bathroom. So we were going to build an extention at a later date. But I didn't see the point of waiting and so we told them to start it now. On the left is the bathroom and then the next 2 segments will be the kitchen. There will also be a Thai kitchen outside on the right hand side.

Obviously the roof line will be different and the ceilings will be a tad lower but the ceilings in the main house are high anyway, so it should be fine.

post-19542-0-50903000-1320584520_thumb.j

This is from the front and another one of my changes. Originally, the bit on the left and the right were balcony's and the bit in the middle would have steps into the house and onto the balcony's. I changed it so that the right hand side would be part of our bedroom (almost doubling the original size) and I had the middle portion filled in to make it one balcony twice the size of the original idea. The problem is that the roof steel was already up and the wife liked the shape. So we have had the centre bits extended so they almost meet and the rain will go into a gully. The problem is, I don't know how to let the rain run off without spoiling the look. I can't just put a downpipe underneath as it will look awful. It's hard coming up with ideas over here without actually walking the plot but I'm sure I'll think of something when I get back to Thailand. However, I'll be willing to listen to any ideas you may have.

post-19542-0-39748300-1320584738_thumb.j

This is our bedroom. One of the windows overlooks the balcony. The step is where the front door will be and then the bedroom door. The bedroom door is brought forward as there will be built-in Wardrobes on the left hand side.

post-19542-0-78154900-1320585998_thumb.j

Going to wards the back of the house is Bed 2 for the daughter.

post-19542-0-58021800-1320586076_thumb.j

On the opposite side is bed 3, on the left is the living room.

post-19542-0-68995000-1320586148_thumb.j

As we speak today. The brickwork is almost finished and the roof is being put on this week. I'll post some piccies when I get some more from the Neice.

Looking good Mr B.!

Making progress & it looks like your

coming along nicely.

Yes on the roof system those are trusses

with diagonal & vertical members welded in.

I would not worry as they are designed to span

open areas.

Chok Dee & glad to see your not affected by flooding.

Looking good Mr B.!

Making progress & it looks like your

coming along nicely.

Yes on the roof system those are trusses

with diagonal & vertical members welded in.

I would not worry as they are designed to span

open areas.

Chok Dee & glad to see your not affected by flooding.

Cheers flying :jap:

Got a few more pictures sent today. Again, sorry about the quality, this time the nephew used his camera phone!! Not good at all but better than nothing.

These are of the bathroom. I asked them to put glass blocks in on the two outer walls. I presumed they would just do 2 rows of 6 on each wall. That'll teach me to leave it upto them :D However, I think when plastered they should look pretty good.

post-19542-0-64549000-1321020695_thumb.j

post-19542-0-62135000-1321020717_thumb.j

This is the outside Thai kitchen going up. The door leads out from the inside kitchen. The mrs wanted this as the finished height so she could be nosey :D Having it open will keep the smells out of the house.

post-19542-0-94756100-1321020881_thumb.j

This is a view from the driveway. Where the blocks are on the left is approximately where the garage will go. Still got the wall where the front door will go but they are leaving that until I get back and when I will go hunting to choose a door. It will be a single door but will probably have glass on one side if not both.

post-19542-0-26844000-1321020904_thumb.j

• 1 month later...

Got a few more piccies sent to us, again by the nephews phone so dodgy quality. However, the mrs is flying over there tomorrow so she is going to send me some better ones.

This was when the roof had just been completed.

post-19542-0-96970300-1323761270_thumb.j

Rear view of the kitchen and bathroom to the left.

post-19542-0-61215900-1323761424_thumb.j

Inside the kitchen. Looks like father-in-law has moved in :D

post-19542-0-88179200-1323761505_thumb.j

Some more of the rendering work in progress, which is now complete. Told them to stop work now until the mrs gets there with my detailed electrical drawings. Then it can wait till I get there next month.

Front right

post-19542-0-57004500-1323761735_thumb.j

Front left

post-19542-0-11804000-1323761803_thumb.j

Thai kitchen at the rear. Looks smaller than it really is.

post-19542-0-61333500-1323761921_thumb.j

This gives a better view of the size.

post-19542-0-12874800-1323762000_thumb.j

Coming along nicely :)

Cheers Crossy. It's a bit frustrating being in Saudi and trying to explain what I want, as I keep on making little changes. They could have had it finished already but I slowed it right down so that I can do the changes evry time I see it or go and visit. Sooner it take longer and get as near as possible to what I want, than get it finished quickly and have regrets. It's also a bit of a learning curve in preparation for the full time house that we will do in a few years. Still looking for land or an old house to renevate for that project but it's looking like Bang Saray area, for schools etc.

Can I pick your brains on lightening rod. If the piccies are clear enough, have you any suggestions. Also, do you connect it to the actual roof or will the steel roof beams etc suffice?

One for Naam if I may. Do you think if I position those extractor fans that were discussed in another thread as indicated below, it will be sufficient? Many thanks :jap:

i see a problem Mr Bo! you don't seem to have a the usual roof overhang with "air-intake eaves" (side walls are going straight up touching the roof). if that is the case your two fans can't extract anything but will be chopping air... except if there is an intake which i can't see.

solution: install both fans on one side and have wooden louvers made for the other side.

One for Naam if I may. Do you think if I position those extractor fans that were discussed in another thread as indicated below, it will be sufficient? Many thanks :jap:

i see a problem Mr Bo! you don't seem to have a the usual roof overhang with "air-intake eaves" (side walls are going straight up touching the roof). if that is the case your two fans can't extract anything but will be chopping air... except if there is an intake which i can't see.

solution: install both fans on one side and have wooden louvers made for the other side.

Thamks Naam.

It's difficult to see in the piccies but there should be plenty of air flow in the roof space. in the piccie with the father in law, you can see the light shining through the space that will allow air into the roof space. The brickwork is just upto the cross members of the roof steel work on the sides. I still have to choose how I am going to finish it off on the outside under the eaves but it will have vented boards. I also like the idea of the louvres :jap:

Something like this house has?

post-19542-0-58003800-1323783769_thumb.j

Thamks Naam.

It's difficult to see in the piccies but there should be plenty of air flow in the roof space. in the piccie with the father in law, you can see the light shining through the space that will allow air into the roof space. The brickwork is just upto the cross members of the roof steel work on the sides. I still have to choose how I am going to finish it off on the outside under the eaves but it will have vented boards. I also like the idea of the louvres :jap:

Something like this house has?

post-19542-0-58003800-1323783769_thumb.j

It is the scaffolds that amaze me every time .

1. It's difficult to see in the piccies but there should be plenty of air flow in the roof space. in the piccie with the father in law, you can see the light shining through the space that will allow air into the roof space. The brickwork is just upto the cross members of the roof steel work on the sides.

2. I still have to choose how I am going to finish it off on the outside under the eaves but it will have vented boards.

1. then you shouldn't have any problems and the idea having a fan on each gable is fine.

2. normally done by wooden substructure, insect screen (special screen for that purpose which is quite cheap) and small wooden pieces nailed on keeping gaps of 5-7mm.

I am greatly surprised by the brickwork. It seems pretty well done.

How did you get them to do this? I had a wall moved here and the 50000 cigarette butts on my lawn wasn't the worst part by a mile compared to the brick work.. Holes everywhere between brick and mortar, uneven mortar and bricks, uneven wall.. I thought i had gotten a crappy contractor but now i have 7 neighbors getting work on their house and they all have the same kind of result.

to be fair my contractor got a govt contract for a road and it's basically the ugliest road in the city while being the newest, but it still doesn't explain my neighbors.

1. It's difficult to see in the piccies but there should be plenty of air flow in the roof space. in the piccie with the father in law, you can see the light shining through the space that will allow air into the roof space. The brickwork is just upto the cross members of the roof steel work on the sides.

2. I still have to choose how I am going to finish it off on the outside under the eaves but it will have vented boards.

1. then you shouldn't have any problems and the idea having a fan on each gable is fine.

2. normally done by wooden substructure, insect screen (special screen for that purpose which is quite cheap) and small wooden pieces nailed on keeping gaps of 5-7mm.

Cheers Naam.

I am greatly surprised by the brickwork. It seems pretty well done.

How did you get them to do this?

Cheers. The builders are the wifes brothers and over the years I've seen a lot of their work, which is why I wanted them to do ours. They are constantly busy and cos we are not in a rush, they do work on ours in-between jobs. And not only are they good at their work but they really are nice guys.

You also hear nightmare stories of builders who drink and albeit 2 of them enjoy a drink, they are not big drinkers and I have never seen them drink during the day.

I'm really happy with the way things are progressing and even though I am trying to manage this from Saudi Arabia, I haven't as of yet had a nightmare that you hear so much about. But I am prepared :D

• 3 weeks later...

Can I pick your brains on lightening rod. If the piccies are clear enough, have you any suggestions. Also, do you connect it to the actual roof or will the steel roof beams etc suffice?

I'm no expert on lightning protection systems (LPS) but seeing what we do on elevated stations with steel roof structures I'll put in 10p worth smile.png

Your air terminals (the spiky things) need to go on the highest points (obvious really) , one at each end of the ridge would work. Each needs to go to a ground rod via the fattest cable you can get, run it down the outside of the building, if you get a strike it's going to get very hot, we want to avoid setting fire to anything. Commercial systems use an uninsulated copper strip. Tie the terminals to the roof steel to avoid side strikes, the structure itself should tie the terminals together adequately. You may wish to consider grounding the roof steel at each corner and using the beams as the initial part of your grounding conductor, you must have all welded joints between the air terminals and the grounding cables.

Make sure your lightning grounds are as far away as practical from your mains ground.

Depending upon where you look you should tie your mains ground to the lightning system, or you should NOT tie your mains ground to the lightning system. My preference is to not tie, but to be honest if you get a direct strike nasty voltages are going to get in anyway.

Whatever you do, ensure you install a whole house surge arrestor on your incoming supply backed up with local surge protection on your technology.

Cheers Crossy. I'm meeting the electrician in a couple of weeks when I go over and I'll quiz him to get a feel of confidence. I haven't met him yet but the Mrs has employed him through recommends from her brothers and he has done the first fix already. From the pictures I've seen so far, he's done a neat job with the conduit and all of the socket and switch back boxes look straight and even.

In no particular order, I got some more pictures, albeit the Mrs is no David Bailey and is only just fumbling through how to e-mail, this time they are a bit better quality.

I got this picture a couple of weeks ago. The opening leads into the kitchen, however I didn't like it as it is too big and renders the wall pretty useless to use.

post-19542-0-80871500-1325513211_thumb.j

So I asked them to change it to this. It's a bit of a nightmare doing changes from here in Saudi and only having pretty naff pictures to go off but I think this change is for the better. At least the left hand corner and wall can be now used for something. The internal rendering is also coming along. On the right is Bed 2 and Bed 3 is on the left.

post-19542-0-60528500-1325514355_thumb.j

The wifes "Thai"style kitchen seems to be coming along.

post-19542-0-35487400-1325516374_thumb.j

post-19542-0-21805400-1325516487_thumb.j

Looking forward to getting to see it in a couple of weeks. I'll be choosing the front door and windows first. Then I think I'll get them cracking on with the gypsum soffits on the outside. Need to get it as Mozzie proof as possible ASAP.

gypsum soffits on the outside

?jerk.gif?

What Naam? Do you not approve of that style of finish?

BTW. They may not actually be Gypsum, I don't know the real name of the brands available (never used them in the UK) but they will be the exterior boarding that looks like plasterboard with vent holes.

?jerk.gif?

BTW. They may not actually be Gypsum, I don't know the real name of the brands available (never used them in the UK) but they will be the exterior boarding that looks like plasterboard with vent holes.

i just don't like the word gypsum in combination with a quite often very humid environment.

?jerk.gif?

i just don't like the word gypsum in combination with a quite often very humid environment.

What are the alternatives for boarding the soffits?