Where To Buy Vpn Router From?

shariq607

hey everyone,

just got a new connection and the router only has 1 lan port and doesn't have a wifi since i need a wireless connection and many ports to connect my different set of computers, the technician recommended i buy a wireless vpn router

Just wanna know whats a vpn router?

what model and make is good?>

how much does it cost?

where can i buy it?

help appreciated

thanks

Where are you (Bangkok?) and what are your actual requirements?

I'm guessing you're not an overly technical person, hence your question - so the first thing I'd suggest is you probably don't need a router with VPN capabilities - or at least not anything specifically called a VPN router, which tends to indicate equipment a little more up spec than 99% of home users will ever need or use.

If that's the case your next choice is what combination of the following you want in the same device

- modem

- router/switch (how many devices etc do you see a need to connect via cable as opposed to Wi-Fi - and do you want Gigibit speed across ther LAN or can you live with 10/100?)

- Wi-Fi

If you want all this in the same device - that limits your choices considerable. If you do need strong VPN capabilities, the choices become fewer again.

You can put in a wireless access point on that single connection, then you have several ethernet ports and WIFI !

VPN is nothing to do with what you are looking for !

I presume it is the new TOT WIFI deal uou have (it is nothing to do with WIFI) but to confuse all people.

Just go to any computer shop and by a WiFi router without ADSL modem, then it can work when you had set it up.

What type of VPN? OpenVPN or PPTP or L2TP etc?

If you buy a wireless router that is supported by DD-WRT (www.dd-wrt.org) or Tomato (tomatousb.org) you can use OpenVPN and pptp easily (well, not so easy for basic skilled computer user)

As has been said, you don't need VPN router. Per previous poster, seems you may have the new TOT WiFi which is what I have had for two weeks now and is working fine. To connect your other computers the simplest way is to get a ethernet switch, or a router. With a switch you just plug the output cable from the TOT connector device (which is actually a router, not just a modem) to any of the ports on the switch, then plug the cables from your other computers into the remaining ports of the switch; no setup required at all. A ZyXel 5-sport switch costs about 500 baht at JIB computer stores; switches with more ports are available. I am looking at my little device happily blinking away on all five occupied ports.

A router is just little more complicated in that you plug the TOT output line into a specific port on the back of router, then the computer connections into the other ports. You will need to configure the internals of the router and it can get complicated. If you want to have wireless capability in your house then best bet is to get router with wireless. The wireless should be configured for encrypted, at least WEP, just so you have secure personal network, so setup is required and can get complicated. Cisco/Linksys routers have a good setup procedure based on CD, follow that exactly or better yet get some knowlegable help.

I am not using the tot wifi package i just got a fiber to home package which is basically a fiber optic sc single mode connected to some kind of onu AKA optical network unit or a GEPON system and it only has one port of lan so the technician recommended i buy a vpn router

I am not using the tot wifi package i just got a fiber to home package which is basically a fiber optic sc single mode connected to some kind of onu AKA optical network unit or a GEPON system and it only has one port of lan so the technician recommended i buy a vpn router

Unless you plan to create a semi-permanent secure connection between 2 (or more) places (eg a branch office and a main office) or similar - there's little need for a router that handles VPN connections for the majority of home users. If you don't fall into that category, and you really do need a router with VPN capabilities, then you really need to give some details if you want any meaningful advice ie - VPN between where and where, how permanent, who initiates, static IPs at one or both ends etc. There are some reasonably priced consumer routers than have limited VPN capabilities, though for business purposes I'd be looking at something like a Draytec, Cisco or similar - which will cost anywhere from 4 to 40 times as much as a standard home router / Wi-Fi router / Modem/router etc. It's a lot of cost and hassle - and rather hard to justify for most when there's a hundred easier options.

It seems you don't need a device that incorporates a modem, so that's a good start. So that leaves your decision to be based on (a) do you even need hardware VPN capabilities (B) how many devices need LAN connections, © how much is speed an issue on your LAN (if it is - then go for a gigabit (10/100/1000) capable hardware), and how much you want to try and rely on Wi-Fi (as little as possible would be my recommendation).

The very best of the best Wi-Fi devices are absolutely woeful compared to physical cable in so many ways (and that's sugar coating it!) and not just for high bandwidth applications like video streaming. If you have the option, run some cable around the place, and buy a cheap base level wireless-N (or G even) router for when you want to unplug and surf the web on the couch. In my experience they all run hot and die young and they re-define the meaning of useless when it comes to video streaming or even moving large files around. Salesmen and glossy brochures will tell you otherwise - don't believe a word of it. The more you fork out for one, the flakier it's going to be, and the shorter the time period before it dies. I'd sooner use powerline adapters than try and pump a lot of data across Wi-Fi, but even thats an expensive and poor choice in comparision to running a bit of cheap Cat-5 cable around the place. Appreciate that's not an option for everyone.

As everyone has stated, VPN router is probably not necessary and the only reason I can think it was brought to your attention was maybe you wanted to watch BBC Iplayer and the tech mentioned a VPN router would be able to do that (a regular vpn account from your computer can as well, provided the vpn server is in the UK)

If you don't want to watch Hulu, or Netflix in America (you would need a USA IP for that) or BBC Iplayer for you Brits ( A UK IP for that), then probably a VPN router is overkill for you. It's always a good idea to do banking on a vpn account though, but VPN routers are generally used to allow multiple devices to connect using one VPN account. VPN accounts generally run about $5 a month on up.

Most people run two routers when they have a VPN router, one not connected to their VPN and one connected to the VPN. That way they can switch back and forth to the VPN easily and have multiple devices on one account.

If anyone is looking for dd-wrt loaded VPN routers, feel free to PM me.