3Bb Adsl Connection - "Unable To Establish A Secure Connection"

bklyn2bkk

Hoping I can get some advice...

Recently moved to BKK, and have been using a 3BB ADSL connection that is wired into my condo for the last month or so. I have the 3BB router connected to my Apple Airport Extreme to provide internet on my WiFi network in the apartment. I have had no problem with internet access the last month or so until last night.

In trying to schedule an appointment at the US Embassy, I received a message saying that Safari was unable to open the page "because Safari can't establish a secure connection to the server "evisaforms.state.gov"." I have tried accessing the webpage from different computers as well as different browsers (Safari, FIrefox) thinking the problem might have something to do with my security settings for a particular computer/browser.

What makes me think that the problem lies with my internet connection, is that I am able to connect to the webpage using the 3G connection on my iPhone. Therefore, something about my internet connection is not able to make the secure connection with the webpage.

I never had any problems with the Airport Extreme router in the US, having actually accessed this exact webpage for making appts at the embassy before. However, upon setting up the AE router here in Thailand with the 3BB internet connection, I remember being prompted to switch the router settings to connect using DHCP. Unfortunately, that is about where my level of tech comprehension ends, so wondering if that is causing the problem?

Otherwise, I suspect that my internet connection provided by 3BB is the cause of the problem. Is it not as secure a connection as I thought it would be?

Can anyone provide some advice on how to resolve this kind of problem? ANy help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

This is a problem X-amount of folks have been having on some U.S. govt web sites like the U.S Embassy Appt System which is really hosted on a U.S. State Dept server in the States. Many folks have the same problem in trying to reach the Social Security web site. See these two links which has some discussion on the issue: Link 1 Link 2

I'm on True cable internet and unless I have the True proxy turned-on or I use VPN I cannot reach above mentioned sites either. But with the True proxy turned-on or using VPN, I can reach both. It probably all boils down to certain U.S. govt servers apparently blocking certain overseas IP addresses...not on an individual scale as dynamic IP addresses are always changing, but a wide spread of IP addresses.

Edit: Corrected Link 2 address.

Edited by Pib

problem with the SSL certificate, create an exemption and it should work.

How do you do that? When I was on TOT ADSL I could reach both the SSA and U.S. Embassy web site, no problem. Switched to True cable about two months ago and couldn't reach the sites unless using the True proxy setting or VPN.

problem with the SSL certificate, create an exemption and it should work.

How do you do that? When I was on TOT ADSL I could reach both the SSA and U.S. Embassy web site, no problem. Switched to True cable about two months ago and couldn't reach the sites unless using the True proxy setting or VPN.

Also, I don't get a connection error/message along the lines of "The security certificate was issued by a company you have not chosen to trust. View the certificate to determine whether you want to trust the certifying authority." I had these before and a person can just click the Continue to the website link and you can continue on to the web site.

What I get is a error msg along the lines of "MS Explorer Cannot Display the web page...Diagnose Connection Problem." It almost like you don't have any internet connection but you do...you can surf to other web sites no problem.

Kinda sounds like the OP could connect while in the States with a U.S. IP address but now in Thailand with a Thailand IP address he can't. But I too definitely want to check out the security certificate angle. Appreciate any guidance on how to add an exception to a security certificate. Thanks.