Prospective Marriage Visa For Australia

Hi all,

I'm in the early stages of preparing a prospective marriage visa so that my girlfriend of 4 years can make the move to Australia.

We have done 2 tourist visas before which were successful. For the tourist visa, it was important to show her employment and that she would be returning to the job (with letters from the employer).

Is this also important for prospective marriage visa? My girlfriend would like to leave Bangkok and return home for a few months and this would mean quitting her job in Bangkok. Will this have a negative reflection on her application? Do they require evidence of a current job at the time of applying for the prospective marriage visa?

Thanks.

Thanks very much for that. I thought it would be better to be safe than sorry and to ask.

After some more reading today I'm now a bi worried that I'm doing the right thing... A little background about us - I met her about 4 years ago and I've travelled back to see her about 10 or more times over those years. She has come here to Australia on short holidays for the last 2 years in a row and we had no troubles getting the tourist visa for that. We've also had a holiday together around Asia.

Now it's time for her to make the move here permanently. We will be living together and we intend to get married and get on with our lives. We've waited this long as she has been finishing off study in Bangkok for the last 3 years.

On the DIAC website under the section of 'Evidence of Genuine and Continuing Relationship', it has the following point:

• any periods of separation (when and why the separation occurred, for how long and how you maintained your relationship during the period of separation

Now, we spend most of our time apart, but call each other on a daily basis and I have all the evidence to support this (~3 hours of phone logs per day + emails, etc).

Is this a problem that our relationship has been mostly long distance like this? Is it 'easier' to get married over there and apply for a visa to come here?

Thanks very much for that. I thought it would be better to be safe than sorry and to ask.

After some more reading today I'm now a bi worried that I'm doing the right thing... A little background about us - I met her about 4 years ago and I've travelled back to see her about 10 or more times over those years. She has come here to Australia on short holidays for the last 2 years in a row and we had no troubles getting the tourist visa for that. We've also had a holiday together around Asia.

Now it's time for her to make the move here permanently. We will be living together and we intend to get married and get on with our lives. We've waited this long as she has been finishing off study in Bangkok for the last 3 years.

On the DIAC website under the section of 'Evidence of Genuine and Continuing Relationship', it has the following point:

• any periods of separation (when and why the separation occurred, for how long and how you maintained your relationship during the period of separation

Now, we spend most of our time apart, but call each other on a daily basis and I have all the evidence to support this (~3 hours of phone logs per day + emails, etc).

Is this a problem that our relationship has been mostly long distance like this? Is it 'easier' to get married over there and apply for a visa to come here?

If you read the whole paragraph from Booklet 1, this relates to your statements that you both have to write. Cant tell you what to write as it must be in your words....just be honest, If working and living in different countries has been an issue for you or if you havent been free to marry, than say so. Obviously you have evidence of maintaining a relationship already.

Where you get married is your choice, it is not any easier either way as you still have to show the same things.