Thai FM Plans First Foreign Trip 'Alphabetically'

webfact

Thai FM plans first foreign trip 'alphabetically'

BANGKOK, September 2, 2011 (AFP) - Thailand's new foreign minister unveiled plans for his first overseas visits on Friday and said he had decided to arrange the tour schedule in alphabetical order.

Surapong Tovichakchaikul, whose appointment last month attracted criticism in Thailand because of his lack of high level experience, said he will travel to Brunei first on September 11.

The regional tour will encompass the nine other countries of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) bloc.

"I will start with Brunei as it is first alphabetically, but Indonesia will come second because it's currently chairman of ASEAN," he told reporters at Government House in Bangkok.

The alphabetical order will then resume with a trip to Cambodia, on September 14, and then Laos.

He said he would visit all other ASEAN nations -- Malaysia, Myanmar, Philippines, Singapore and Vietnam -- within September without giving exact dates for each country.

Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra, who took power last month after an overwhelming win in the July 3 election, has not yet revealed her travel schedule.

Her fledgling government has already drawn fire over a recent visit to Japan by her brother, former leader Thaksin Shinawatra, who lives abroad to avoid a jail term for corruption.

Thailand's opposition says the country's new leadership illegally helped Thaksin obtain a visa for the trip.

Thaksin, who was ousted in a 2006 coup, addressed international media and visited areas devastated by the March 11 earthquake and tsunami during the tour, which was seen as an attempt to return to the world stage.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2011-09-02

Mind boggling, an in-site into high level political thinking. With such a 'face-saving' conscious country that Thailand is thatt hey would arrange, what is a new governments relation building exercise to what is nothing more than a 'roll of the dice'………..What I find incredible is not only how they came to the visit order……………..But telling everyone how they did it! :blink:

Edited by Tonto21

Seems rather obvious he was making a joke about Brunei because he is reluctant to reveal the real reason for going there, which is likely to be business related.

That could be true, or maybe - as the diplomatic face of Thailand abroad - he was trying to show regional neighbors that by selecting his destinations in a seemingly arbitrary way he's not picking any out as favorites, which may be beneficial when coming to negotiate with them over some issues.

Seems rather obvious he was making a joke about Brunei because he is reluctant to reveal the real reason for going there, which is likely to be business related.

Maybe he was thinking in terms of what followed B...... C for Cambodia, D for Dubai etc..

H....for Hell, hope he goes there too.:rolleyes:

That could be true, or maybe - as the diplomatic face of Thailand abroad - he was trying to show regional neighbors that by selecting his destinations in a seemingly arbitrary way he's not picking any out as favorites, which may be beneficial when coming to negotiate with them over some issues.

nice observation

Brunei, Indonesia, Cambodia......... Seems more like he was making excuses for priorities he didn't want to mention. Why not Indonesia first given it's stated reason for elevation to 2nd?

Vietnam may have appreciated reverse alphabetical order for change..........

I wonder how long and how many people he needed to come up with such a brilliant idea! Our tax paying dollars working hard for us!

"Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra, who took power last month after an overwhelming win in the July 3 election, has not yet revealed her travel schedule".

May I suggest those countries with the largest 'estimated' dog populations first, then the greatest number of chickens, pigs third, goats fourth and so on until the number of chosen animal populations equals the number of countries to be visited.

It shouldn't be "incredible India" but "incredible Thailand" as this country is much more deserving of such a label to sum it up!!!:blink:

I wonder how long and how many people he needed to come up with such a brilliant idea! Our tax paying dollars working hard for us!

"Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra, who took power last month after an overwhelming win in the July 3 election, has not yet revealed her travel schedule".

May I suggest those countries with the largest 'estimated' dog populations first, then the greatest number of chickens, pigs third, goats fourth and so on until the number of chosen animal populations equals the number of countries to be visited.

It shouldn't be "incredible India" but "incredible Thailand" as this country is much more deserving of such a label to sum it up!!!:blink:

If she is gonna do it then alphabetically please!!!!!!!!!

And what is with Austria, Albania, Australia, Argentina?

Will he ever visit Zimbabwe?

The first ones in the alphabet are Afganistan, Albania, Algeria, American Samoa...Angola...Antarctica.......LOL

Brunei is 32nd. Prior to that, He must be visited Botswana, Benin, Bangladesh etcetcetc......

And I am paying my taxes for THIS. Ha-ha. :annoyed:

The first ones in the alphabet are Afganistan, Albania, Algeria, American Samoa...Angola...Antarctica.......LOL

Brunei is 32nd. Prior to that, He must be visited Botswana, Benin, Bangladesh etcetcetc......

Sorry, when did Afghanistan or Albania join ASEAN? :rolleyes:

please someone tell him that the government of Antarctica is expecting him :-)

Be careful now......Thais get Australia and Austria mixed up and when it comes to saying Iceland , Island and Ireland..........well .........is Scotland near England...?

With Austria I always hope that someone famous ring a bell: Mozart, Salzburg, Strauss, Hitler, Schwarzenegger....Some know Schwarzenegger.

But many know all the soccer player of Austria and I think we didn't win one game since Wordwar 1.

"Ireland, Iceland, yes yes many nice Islands Koh Samui beautiful......"

I usually pretend to neither speak English nor Thai....makes life easier.

It might be evidence of his lack of geography knowledge, which is ironic for anyone in a position of Foreign Minister. He couldn't be bothered to check the locations of the cities in order to plan an optimal route so that time and costs could be saved. It also shows that he doesn't care about saving the money that comes from tax payers.