Converting A Pdf To Word Doc Or..

Dag

I have a pdf file with photo's in it that I want to convert to something...with the pics still in it and still in a presentable and readable format....that someone else can read and make changes.

How do I do this ?

The pdf doc is locked so cannot change anything, but can copy.

Either open the pdf and send that so changes can be made....or turn it into a word doc ....anyone know how/what to do ??

I have adobe 8 only, tried to load 10x, but could not so thats not an option as yet if it makes any difference.

I can 'select all' and it copies and then can copy to a word doc, but the format is all wrong and no photos.

Just realised I have OpenOffice on my laptop and have this same document in that format......so I tried to export it as a pdf and went into the security settings...clicked all the allow comments and make changes etc...then exported it as pdf......it saved all fine as pdf but buggered if I know how to make changes....go into security on the pdf and it says changes not allowed.

I've been using Nitro PDF for a couple years and it seems to do a good job on something like this.

Nitro is dramatically less expensive than Adobe Pro.

I use it more for creating and editing .pdf's as well as .pdf forms.

One drawback I've noticed is it occasionally hangs up when used on 64 bit Windows 7 OS.

Edited by ups7420

try http://www.pdfonline...word-converter/

this will send back as a doc and it is free

Just gave that one a try....only converted 1/4 of the doc and then said it was to big....heard that before....and to do the rest you have to buy the software.......also it changed the size of some text all through the new doc file and some small format differences.

So no go for that one.

Adobe Ilustrator CS5 , download free trial version on adobe.com

Had a bad experience with trial versions before.....cannot do this and that and then cannot either complete a whole job or some other issue.

I'm a tad confused. Please explain what you are trying to do. You appear to have the text in an Open Office document, so why not edit it there and then recreate the pdf from that source?

The more we know the better we may advise as opposed to guessing your intent, thanks

Regards

PS In Adobe Reader X you can highlight an image Ctrl+C and send it to the clipboard. Its resolution will be determined by the pdf settings of course.

Edited by A_Traveller

You may want to look into a PDF Editor if you are just wanting to edit an existing PDF file.

More information would be helpful.

It sounds like it is secured with an authoring password which will not allow direct changes within the file. But yes, confused about the open office part also.

You may want to look into a PDF Editor if you are just wanting to edit an existing PDF file.

More information would be helpful.

It sounds like it is secured with an authoring password which will not allow direct changes within the file. But yes, confused about the open office part also.

As I read the OP it looked like he created the pdf file, so there shouldn't be a password.

But if the file is password protected there are a couple tools mentioned here.

It may be the case the OP wants to distribute PDF files that are editable. That of course can't be done because it defeats the purpose of of a pdf file.

Of course, we won't know what the OP wants, unless the OP explains more... Until then, it's just guessing.

Edited by BB1950

I'm a tad confused. Please explain what you are trying to do. You appear to have the text in an Open Office document, so why not edit it there and then recreate the pdf from that source?

The more we know the better we may advise as opposed to guessing your intent, thanks

Regards

PS In Adobe Reader X you can highlight an image Ctrl+C and send it to the clipboard. Its resolution will be determined by the pdf settings of course.

I do not want to edit it myself, someone else wants to edit it and they do not have Open Office, nor can they download it I believe because of very poor internet connection.....nor do I want to ask them to have to download it to edit it as they are doing me a favour kinda.

So....I have the document in Open Office and PDF version, both with the photos in place, so I wanted to convert one or the other to an editable format....either pdf to word, or OO to a pdf that CAN be edited.

I tried to just COPY the document to word, but the format all screwed up and the photos were not even there....the text copied, although formatted completely wrong, but it was there.....so I can copy the PDF, but not edit.

I tried the online pdf to word as mentioned in earlier post, but no good.

I tried to change a copy of the OO document into an editable PDF...but that did not work either, the new PDF was still locked so it seemed even though I went into the security section and ticked the boxes to allow it.

Now, I am no tech genius, so I could be doing something wrong, but no idea what.

Hope that is clearer.

As I read the OP it looked like he created the pdf file, so there shouldn't be a password.

But if the file is password protected there are a couple tools mentioned here.

It may be the case the OP wants to distribute PDF files that are editable. That of course can't be done.

Of course, we won't know what the OP wants, unless the OP explains more... Until then, it's just guessing.

Yes, I created the PDF from OO...but it is locked....dunno how that happened lol...like I said, this stuff is not my forte.

What do you mean by 'distribute' and 'that of course cannot be done' ??

So....I have the document in Open Office and PDF version, both with the photos in place, so I wanted to convert one or the other to an editable format....

Save your OO document as a Word .doc file by using file:save as.

Then send the resulting .doc file to your friend who will be able to edit it in Word.

So....I have the document in Open Office and PDF version, both with the photos in place, so I wanted to convert one or the other to an editable format....

Save your OO document as a Word .doc file by using file:save as.

Then send the resulting .doc file to your friend who will be able to edit it in Word.

I thought of that while typing above.....but I did try this some time ago for something else and it did not work....the format screwed up totally...but shall give it another whirl now.

Also just DL'd the converter mentioned above by BB....it transferred all the text only perfectly, no photos and that is the issue also.

Ok....just saved the OO as a doc......all the text and photos saved fine....but it saved as a non editable document.......why is that ?

The original OO doc is not locked as I just opened it and did some editing to see if I could.....and I could !!!

So why does it saved as locked and how to change that ??

Your friend must have a word processor installed that can edit Word document files. Word does not come with Windows by default. Only WordPad comes with Windows, but it can't handle Word documents. If your friend does not have a word processor that will edit Word documents, then Open Office is your best bet. You could save the file as an rtf file that WordPad uses, but a lot of the formatting features (including photos) would not saved in the rtf file.

Edited by BB1950

For sure he has word....but I did not try that one option...OO to WORD as i did it once before and it did not work.....but seems nearly ok now.

I just checked through the document and one photo is missing and a little bit of text changed.....might be able to correct it manually.

Thanks for the help.

Nothing....files name is 'untitled3-for merge.doc'

If you are confused....have a thought for me.

The file name above was an automatic save...it came up with that name, not me.

Edited by Dag

Nothing....files name is 'untitled3-for merge.doc'

If you are confused....have a thought for me.

The file name above was an automatic save...it came up with that name, not me.

B) What makes things confusing for you is the many different proprietary file formats now used for document files. Each having different formatting characteristics that are saved.

Okay, that file is an older file format for a Word document file (extension: .doc). Your friend should be able to edit it without a problem with any version of Word.

You can rename it to anything you want, but don't change the extension! You can only change 'untitiled3-for merge' part of the file name only. Otherwise you and your friend will have a problem opening it. You must keep the '.doc' at the end of the file name.

Just out of curiosity, what file name did you get when saving it as the Word file that you couldn't edit?

I just checked through the document and one photo is missing and a little bit of text changed.....might be able to correct it manually.

Right-click:copy and right-click:paste should do the trick.

I have no idea what the merge business is.

OO generally works best saving in Word format if you select Word97 type.

Just out of curiosity, what file name did you get when saving it as the Word file that you couldn't edit?

Not sure now, deleted most of the stuff that did not work...think it was a .doc also though.

However......now I have a new problem.

I transferred the OO doc to Word last night and then this morning went and inserted the missing photo and then saved it all.....it all looked fine, closed and opened it to check again and was fine.

I copied it to a thumbdrive to put onto my desktop which has the internet connection to email, tried to open it and not one photo !!!! little red x in top left corner only........so <deleted> is going on here now ??

Its a lot of work to go and put all the photos in again individually, so trying to get around it and sort it out now, also for future jobs as might need to do it all again.......why no photos ??

Edited by Dag