Thai Police Arrest Two For Murder Of French Engineer

webfact

Two held in alleged murder of Frenchman over motorcycle

By The Nation on Sunday

Nonthaburi police yesterday took a Thai-Iranian man and a Thai-Belgian man to re-enact the murder of a French engineer on Wednesday.

Following the discovery of 42-year-old Eric Dremeau's body in a canal in an orchard in Pak Kret district on Thursday, police yesterday apprehended Thai-Iranian Kamolpat "Mark" Sukkharom, 22, at his Bangkok home.

Thai-Belgian Jim Birksulan, 21, who had met with the victim over an ongoing deal to sell Jim's Big Bike motorcycle, worth Bt252,000, was arrested on Friday and said he had killed the man in self-defence.

Mark told police that he saw Jim kill Dremeau after the pair became involved in argument. He said the victim had agreed to buy the 1,000cc bike from Jim in May and paid Bt200,000 up front. Jim, however, had been unable to obtain a licence-plate registration for the bike. Dremeau and Jim met Wednesday at the Big C Chaeng Wattana Mall, where a woman was to complete the registration. Dremeau had brought the outstanding Bt52,000 to pay Jim, Mark said.

Mark said Jim paid him Bt1,000 to pick him and Dremeau up at the mall in his car, and that Jim told him to drive into an alley, where he and Dremeau seemingly had a heated argument in French.

The two got out of the car and continued talking for 40 minutes, according to Mark, before Jim shot Dremeau in the head once with a 9mm pistol and told Mark to put him inside the trunk. They went to get a shovel from Jim's home before returning to the alley, where Jim shot the man two more times in the face to make sure he was dead, after Mark heard noises coming from the trunk.

After abandoning their attempt to bury the victim, they dumped the Frenchman's body and belongings in the canal and Jim took the Bt52,000, Mark said.

While Mark was re-enacting the crime, Jim reportedly confessed to Nonthaburi deputy chief Colonel Apichat Reunthip that he shot Dremeau in self-defence after the man tried to attack him, then hid the pistol in an attic in his home. Police then took the two to re-enact the crime again.

Police later searched Jim's bedroom, where they found 50 BB guns (air guns), and the attic, where they found another 100 BB guns, an AKA rifle with one magazine, the 9mm pistol used in the alleged murder with two magazines, and Bt51,290 cash.

The two men were charged with conspiring to murder another person, stealing cash and disposing of the body to conceal the crime.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-09-05

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a matter of principle, I avoid as much as possible to do any business with foreigners in Thailand. What ever the negative story about Thais posted in this forum, I know a worst story involving foreigners.

Most foreigners who do business in Thailand do it illegally, which means they are involved witha lot of not-so-nice people and they have developed over the years a crook mentality. It the same for the Thais involved with these people. You do business with them at your own risks.

Is this an example of what becomes of the children of elderly farangs and the young bargirls they have kids with?

BTW, the deceased had 2 kids of his own; 18 and 14 years of age.

Speaking from experience? Or do you have information that wasnt provided to the press?

As a matter of principle, I avoid as much as possible to do any business with foreigners in Thailand. What ever the negative story about Thais posted in this forum, I know a worst story involving foreigners.

Most foreigners who do business in Thailand do it illegally, which means they are involved witha lot of not-so-nice people and they have developed over the years a crook mentality. It the same for the Thais involved with these people. You do business with them at your own risks.

Quite the opposite for me, I much prefer to do business with Farangs in Thailand, I certainly do not want to do business while carrying cash with Thai people... Majority of Farangs here are very honest people .... but there again I would not do any business with anyone if I was in Pattaya.. And the way I have heard you showing respect for Thaksin , a convicted criminal on the run, you obviously have no principals.... certainly no law abiding principals...

Be aware of gun laws in Thailand!. I know my post may be irrelevant to the article posted, however, it involves guns. Last year on Chang wattana freeway going to Pathumthani, I was victim of a road rage. A brand new B.M.W 7 series still with red plate in front of me, shot at me but luckily he missed. I managed to follow him cautiously, keeping my distance to his home. So I knew where he lived and with that I went to police station. What I am about to tell you is even more frustrating than shooting itself. I met the " Watch commander " of the police station and he tried to explain the Thai gun laws as follows;

If a man points a gun at you and fires the gun,but for some reason he misses by either you dodging the bullet or bad aiming by him.then he can't be charged with an ATTEMPTED MURDER!. If he owned the gun legally, then he can only be charged with " Brandishing a fire arm or firing in public" charge which carries maximum penalty of 500 Baht in fine!. I KID YOU NOT!, merely a slap on the wrist. When he told me that, my head was exploding, I told him whether that was the " Farang law " meaning it only applies if a Thai tries to shoot a Farang!?. He replied by saying " NO " and went on to give an example of an earlier incident involving a police shooting in a bar. A police officer gets in to an argument in a bar with a local, pulls out his gun and shoots him dead. When other officers arrived at the scene, he simply said, " a man pulled his gun from his holster and shot the man " and with that story he walked. Of course, there must have been more than that to the story, like every body in the bar hushed up and didn't say any thing. But this is how lawless Thailand is and can be. The man who killed this French man probably will serve about two years or less.

totally irrelevant , many foreigners do very good business and many Thais do monkey business .... the sadness of that story is that now for a business transaction you got a bullet in the head , what is interesting to know if at 21yo they got a gun ...this is dangerous issuer here .... Maybe in your acquaintance its normal practice to do such business but not mine and I dont recognize myself in your comment , and I been here for 20 years

What kind of foreigners do you associate with exactly? This is an outrageously inaccurate and unfair statement.

First, condolences to the man's family. Unfortunate when what appeared to be a relatively simple bike sale ends up in death.

Perhaps a little off topic, but how easy is it to get a gun in Thailand? I have a BiB in the family through marriage who thinks the world of me for some reason. I carry one of his cards in my wallet. Royal Thai Police Card, with his name and rank, which is high for enlisted man. On the back, in Thai, he wrote, "This man is family. If there is a problem, you call me." I've never had to use it. One time I asked him about getting a gun for protection here in my home. He asked me what I wanted. I mentioned 3 models of hand gun. He gave me prices, which were about half of what they would cost me legally. He said he could get whatever I wanted and have it registered in my Thai wife's name. Also said he could get unregistered, no serial number guns for less than the prices he gave me. That's how easy it is.

And, no, I didn't buy. I was merely curious.

Self defense. I think every foreigner should have a 9mm so that they can shoot anyone in the head and twice in the face when someone tries to attack them; for example... tuk tuk drivers. NOT!

Do these characters even exist, or is this some sort of fabrication to a more truthful cause of death? They must be defective because of their Iranian and Belgian DNA, otherwise, why mention it if they are living here as Thai nationals with citizenship? That is; if they really exist. With all the crime against foreigners recently being in the news, this caught my eye. "Let's make sure we emphasize the Iranian and Belgian part. We don't want people to think we have a string of violence and murder towards foreigners emerging."

This is simply my German Irish British Scottish American view and opinion.

Edited by cup-O-coffee

So let me get this right. You don't do business with anyone that does business with a foreigner in Thailand and you also don't do business with any Thai that does business with a foreigner. Must be prety restrictive working that way unless you are a Thai doing business with a Thai!

Is this an example of what becomes of the children of elderly farangs and the young bargirls they have kids with?

The comment about children of bar girls is very judgmental and not appropriate.

Wow, If I had a gun, I would be very hesitant to use it for fear of being found guilty of murder. With out a gun, I could be murdered. Of course, the most likely outcome would be for me to buy a gun and then have my Thai lover murder me or himself in the heat of the moment.

I'll stick with the Chiang Mai crossbow. I'm a pretty good shot, seems more legal than a gun and my Thai lover would be hesitant to use it for fear of failing in the attempt. wink.gif

I was told by one of my Japanese friends that my life in Thailand was not worth a nickel. Anyway, life is a crap shoot no matter where you live:)

Speaking from experience? Or do you have information that wasnt provided to the press?

It was a legit question. What do you think happens to kids in Thailand when the farang father is either dead, uninterested, or otherwise disposed of by the spouse? Let's see if the farang father shows up to stand with the product of his spilled seed.

I think you might be a little bit racist with some bigoted opinions, you cant say foreigners here develop a "crook mentality" this does not apply to me and if you disagree with me, give your location and ill come over and sort ya out, :lol:

Edited by newermonkey

...Thai-Iranian man Thai-Belgian man...

as by thai law, a person over 20yo that want keeps is thai citizenship shall renounce to other nationaliry (if had).

for me is clear that article's source (police?) has voluntarily forgottten that technicality....

is a mistake useful to blame foreigners for something:

to being not good parents (at least non better than thai average)

or

to have abandoned children.

this could be,

in any case medias should also find someone able(not a thai obviously) to write articles

about the obstacles (thai immigration law and culture) foreigner parents find living in thailand.

I see no reference in the OP as to the age of the parents of the mixed parentage perpetrators, the ratio of their ages, their occupations, or in fact which parent is Thai.

the victim has 2 children, are they of mixed race descent? Does it matter?

Edited by OzMick

...Thai-Iranian man Thai-Belgian man...

as by thai law, a person over 20yo that want keeps is thai citizenship shall renounce to other nationaliry (if had).

for me is clear that article's source (police?) has voluntarily forgottten that technicality....

is a mistake useful to blame foreigners for something:

to being not good parents (at least non better than thai average)

or

to have abandoned children.

this could be,

in any case medias should also find someone able(not a thai obviously) to write articles

about the obstacles (thai immigration law and culture) foreigner parents find living in thailand.

It may help to bring in witnesses who had seen mixed race people around the area at the time or am I being naive ?