Reps Rayong

Sakeopete

My wife and I are debating the international school or English Program school options, we can afford either option. However as we plan on staying in Thailand we are still debating which type a school to send our children too around Ban Chang.

We came upon REPS in a TV search but no up to date info or recommendations only old threads. Can anyone provide us with a first hand opinion of the school or any alternative EP schools near Rayong.

There is plenty of info on the international schools so I'm just interested in EP schools.

Thanks

Mods I have posted this in the ET forum as I am looking for local knowledge.

Edited by Sakeopete

I have my kids at REPS and can recommend it.

Believe most written here about REPS is still true.

Don't know the other schools so can't compare.

The same here I can afford to send them to GIS (or other international school) but don't see the point of it as i believe REPS is up to standard and most important the kids are happy there.

We had our son at REPS during early years. First, he enjoyed it as there were many other 'luk kreungs'. But during the last few years more and more Thai children from the officers at the Navy base in Sattahip joined this school and he became more and more an outsider as the 'farang'. I also had the feeling that the attitude of the Thai teachers towards Westerners changed a lot, bowing to the officers in their uniforms when they bring their children to school and ignoring the few farangs.

Another disadvantage of REPS is that the communication is mostly in Thai, especially now that there are not many farang children left. So if your child is not fluent in English yet REPS is surely not the right place to learn it properly.

We enrolled him at GIS from primary 1 on and he's now very happy there. His English skills have improved rapidly and we are fully convinced that it was the only right move to do.

I tutor students in the area, I have children from most international and EP schools. Although REPS is a good school they have recently let themselves down badly on the English language. Many parents complain to me that there offspring cannot handle English despite being at REPS for two or more years. I support the previous poster in that the school is no longer an EP school of note, as it used to be.

I tutor students in the area, I have children from most international and EP schools. Although REPS is a good school they have recently let themselves down badly on the English language. Many parents complain to me that there offspring cannot handle English despite being at REPS for two or more years. I support the previous poster in that the school is no longer an EP school of note, as it used to be.

Fully agree with sunshine 69's statement and these are exactly the observations we've made. It seems to have something to do with the clientele at REPS for the last few years. Many Thai officials from the Navy and government enroll their children at REPS for more 'fashionable' reasons rather than to care about any conversational English skills of their offspring. In fact, they even complain that the school does not point out the Thai educational system enough. Obviously, REPS has to follow the requirements of their main clientele and that's why they have let them down so badly on the English language.

Thanks for the replies, I really want my kids to attend international school however I worry they will not learn Thai proficiently. Will they be able to pass the entrance exams to the few decent Thai universities? I want them to have the option of attending school in the west or Thailand.

I really want my kids to attend international school however I worry they will not learn Thai proficiently. .

That's what I worry about my kids also if i put them in the International school. They are Thai after all (with European blood).

I think they painting a bit too dark picture. It is a Thai school after all so you can't expect them to speak English all the time, if you want that then there is GIS.

My kids had no problem learning English in REPS. Can't complain when the kids speak/read/write English and Thai when finishing Kindergarten (not perfect though)

Put it like this, If you are from an English speaking country and expect your kid to speak the queen’s English perfectly then forget REPS and go to an International school. If you like your kids to be good (not perfect) in English then REPS is the school for you.

And by the way. TiT, Somebody in uniform (or billionaire, or with a Mercedes) will always be higher ranking in Thai eyes.

• 8 months later...

Summary of schools from my investigations over the last 18 months

International

Regents - very expensive, money motivated, good standard

St Andrews - excellent reputation and expensive

Garden - good standard and less expensive than the above

English Programme

BEST - not impressive

Satit - looked good but only been running program for 3/4 years and staff turnover high

REPS ban chang - my favourite, and the one i chose for my son, many foreign teachers, same company as Garden and next door

Montisori - now shut

Hastings, no track record, expensive, starting new classes from 2012 for 7 up? No history, did not feel right

Pheonix, not for me but some people i know say its good, a bit rowdy when i went there

Assumption - when i called, fully booked, no rooms at the inn

Thai

Maryvit - Excellent, but no foreign teachers, i was unsure of the standard of english at this school for my son who is half thai, half english

My son went to montesori for a term, garden for a year and is now at REPS.

Reps is about 1 third of the price of garden