My New White Isuzu Mu7 Choize

dagling

For anyone interested in this kind of thing on a price of 1.2M (I bargained a 30k discount) Baht interest rate 1.3%

you can get:

Mu-7 Choiz or Super Titanium (I don't like plastic wood effect so went Choiz for the black interior)

IGenie Garmin Navigator with built in USB bluetooth (phone and stereo) plus front and rear camera

2nd Screen with dual zone control

150kg Roof Rack

Rear Sensors

Weather mats and rear cargo weather mat

Scuff Plates (non LED)

Full body kit inc upper rear spoiler

Running boards

3 in 1 spare tire lock, engine and pedal immobiliser

Free Insurance - 1 year

Free License plate frame

Tint/Film

Wind/Rain Shields

30,000 baht off - 50,000 if you decline the insurance

Car Cover and Parking Sunshade

Caps, T-shirts and clocks for the family (yeah i ran out of things to ask for)

But be aware out of the Paj, Tuna and Mu this is the most like a pickup and does feel like the rear will step out when swinging through bends. I like this as it does feel like driving rather than the car driving you. I have made some minor cosmetic changes to make the truck feel more car-like for the wife.

20in Rims (it just seems so puny with 16)

Subwoofer ok that and the wheels were for me

Interior foot well blue lighting ala Civic

Angel eyes - no purpose purely aesthetic

Door lights so my child can see when climbing the 53 inches down to the ground

Daytime running lights (they actually have cut down on the amount of times people pull out in front of you - more see able than a huge PPV??)

and next week I will upgrade the brakes or at least the rear ones.

Have a great Xmas guys and thanks for all the sage advice across topics.

As with Anguid, I have been a die hard fan of the MU-7. MRO, Katabeachbum and others kinda dampened my enthusiasm for a minute there when they plainly laid out the side-by-side mechanical capabilities of the top SUVs - but who am I to let a few facts get in they way? - (just kidding guys.....I really do appreciate the knowledge you share with the rest of us)!

But, for those with vehicle needs like us - a comfortable 3ard row seat (plus as much additional cargo space as possible) - I think you're admirable in the way you're improving your new MU-7! In fact, I would like to follow suit. I am curious as to how those cool-looking 20"ers handle and ride, especially if you don't do the front brake upgrade. I had been contemplating 18"ers, but your 20's do look a whole lot better!

What size and model tire did you decide to go with? What other tire models were available? Where did you get your angel eyes installed?

Can we count on you to keep us posted on the progress and your findings of your upgrades?

Bearing in mind I didn’t get to ride on the 16” rims the ride in the front is stable and after a 5 hour trip to BanTak’s Bhumibol Dam I suffered no ill effects or need for a butt massage. The offset from my wheel/tire set up is 0.9 of an inch larger than off the lot and I can feel a lot of contact with the road but the only detriment seems to be picking up and catapaulting a lot of small stones! I went with Lenso rims and Falken tires on recommendation (admittedly) from the salesman.

I’ve not ridden in the back as yet but my wife tells me “it’s bouncy” … however for 40k baht you can fit DMAX coil springs from EXO Club, 9k for an anti-sway bar and gas/oil adjustable shocks from 10 – 30k. I’ve gone with an assortment of cushions!

The MU-7 brakes are poor. A 240mm front disc and rear drums, combined with a 2/3rds pedal travel and what must be a thimble sized master cylinder mean never looking at your iGenie system when other vehicles are present. Maybe the weight/size difference of my tires doesn’t help but surely the extra tread on the road would balance out?!? Regardless I’ve converted the rear to discs and front to a 355 disc with 4 pot calipers plus distribution of forward weight impetus down to 70% from 90% and the difference is noticeable and confidence boosting.

Angel Eyes etc are all from Bankenn (sic forgotten name but advertise in all auto mags) which is on Rama 4 more or less opposite the Tobacco Monopoly entrance

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For anyone interested in this kind of thing on a price of 1.2M (I bargained a 30k discount) Baht interest rate 1.3%

you can get:

Mu-7 Choiz or Super Titanium (I don't like plastic wood effect so went Choiz for the black interior)

IGenie Garmin Navigator with built in USB bluetooth (phone and stereo) plus front and rear camera

150kg Roof Rack

Rear Sensors

Scuff Plates (non LED)

Running boards

Free Insurance - 1 year

Free License plate frame

Tint/Film

Wind/Rain Shields

But be aware out of the Paj, Tuna and Mu this is the most like a pickup and does feel like the rear will step out when swinging through bends. I like this as it does feel like driving rather than the car driving you. I have made some minor cosmetic changes to make the truck feel more car-like for the wife.

Daytime running lights (they actually have cut down on the amount of times people pull out in front of you - more see able than a huge PPV??)

IMG_5416.jpg

Funny, in Europe fitting wheels and tires that stick out of the bodywork are illegal, and for a reason i guess. Not in LOS I guess, although the same reasoning might apply ...

makes it easier to parallel park w/out damaging your alloys when you can see them :)

you can get:

150kg Roof Rack

Rear Sensors

Scuff Plates (non LED)

Running boards

Free Insurance - 1 year

Free License plate frame

Tint/Film

Wind/Rain Shields

Bearing in mind I didn’t get to ride on the 16” rims the ride in the front is stable and after a 5 hour trip to BanTak’s Bhumibol Dam I suffered no ill effects or need for a butt massage. The offset from my wheel/tire set up is 0.9 of an inch larger than off the lot and I can feel a lot of contact with the road but the only detriment seems to be picking up and catapaulting a lot of small stones! I went with Lenso rims and Falken tires on recommendation (admittedly) from the salesman.

I’ve not ridden in the back as yet but my wife tells me “it’s bouncy” … however for 40k baht you can fit DMAX coil springs from EXO Club, 9k for an anti-sway bar and gas/oil adjustable shocks from 10 – 30k. I’ve gone with an assortment of cushions!

The MU-7 brakes are poor. A 240mm front disc and rear drums, combined with a 2/3rds pedal travel and what must be a thimble sized master cylinder mean never looking at your iGenie system when other vehicles are present. Maybe the weight/size difference of my tires doesn’t help but surely the extra tread on the road would balance out?!? Regardless I’ve converted the rear to discs and front to a 355 disc with 4 pot calipers plus distribution of forward weight impetus down to 70% from 90% and the difference is noticeable and confidence boosting.

Angel Eyes etc are all from Bankenn (sic forgotten name but advertise in all auto mags) which is on Rama 4 more or less opposite the Tobacco Monopoly entrance

Thanx mucho for the run down! Your mechanical mods are exactly what the doctor ordered and should be pinned to this forum under, "How to upgrade the MU-7!". I'm personally glad you also upgraded your front brakes, too! I didn't know you could also upgrade to coil springs....plus add an anti-sway bar?!! (wait until MRO here's about this!! coffee1.gif ).

About the distribution of forward weight impetus down to 70% from 90%, what is the significance of that and was it achieved solely with the additions of your upgrades?

What is the size of your tires and doesn't any of the modifications void your new car warranty??

I never intended to rag on the MU-7 - it has it's own unique angle in the market (it's the super-size PPV) and I'm a big fan of Isuzu's engines - who cares what they sound like from outside - from inside a Mysterious Utility 7 the clatter is well suppressed, and there's simply no other diesel engine in the segment that will run as efficiently, nor be as long-term reliable...

Contrar! No explanation needed! You're respected for stating the facts and your experiences (be they positive or negative in the eyes of the less informed). For example, even after informing us of the undeniable shortcomings of the MU-7, in your Solomon-like way, you point out a couple of its strongest assets: "....and there's simply no other diesel engine in the segment that will run as efficiently, nor be as long-term reliable" - which happen to be at the top of my list of vehicle attributes. BTW, I like the tricky moniker 'Mysterious Utility 7'.....I just hope it doesn't catch on! cheesy.gif

Hmmm, my chum bought an Isuzu (2007) the same time l bought the Vigo. His ride has an old type V belt ohmy.png where my Toyo had Poly- V.

Yet another minus to add to the list!?? sad.pngcrying.gif .... :-)

For my info, can you point out the advantages of the Poly-V over the V-belt?

Polly V learns to speak faster than any Old Polly.. The Wheels look nice,but why do these Bean Counters put the wrong size ones on. A normall D Max looks balanced even with steel rims and plastic Maglikes.. Is just the correct diameter to much to ask,? its not a cheap vehicle. Mitsu and Tunas are as bad. They "Spoil the Ship for a Hapeth Worth of Tar".imo.coffee1.gif

Bearing in mind I didn’t get to ride on the 16†rims the ride in the front is stable and after a 5 hour trip to BanTak’s Bhumibol Dam I suffered no ill effects or need for a butt massage. The offset from my wheel/tire set up is 0.9 of an inch larger than off the lot and I can feel a lot of contact with the road but the only detriment seems to be picking up and catapaulting a lot of small stones! I went with Lenso rims and Falken tires on recommendation (admittedly) from the salesman.

I’ve not ridden in the back as yet but my wife tells me “it’s bouncy†… however for 40k baht you can fit DMAX coil springs from EXO Club, 9k for an anti-sway bar and gas/oil adjustable shocks from 10 – 30k. I’ve gone with an assortment of cushions!

Thanx mucho for the run down! Your mechanical mods are exactly what the doctor ordered and should be pinned to this forum under, "How to upgrade the MU-7!". I'm personally glad you also upgraded your front brakes, too! I didn't know you could also upgrade to coil springs....plus add an anti-sway bar?!! (wait until MRO here's about this!! coffee1.gif ).

About the distribution of forward weight impetus down to 70% from 90%, what is the significance of that and was it achieved solely with the additions of your upgrades?

What is the size of your tires and doesn't any of the modifications void your new car warranty??

My understanding is they adjusted the bias once they converted the rear drums to discs, I've only been able to find a little info about this procedure online but have only given it cursory research.

Tires are R65/50/20 and if memory serves correct 111-S. Only removing the parking brake cable would void the Kenwood warranty but would slow me to use the hands free phone system properly. The come with it brakes are minimum spec so no problem there but Isuzu can't service them you have to go back to Runstop who provide a warranty anyway.

Eco Club claim to have an ECU converter that doesn't void your warranty and provides 40% more hp, if that's the case that may be my next upgrade.

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

.....and there's simply no other diesel engine in the segment that will run as efficiently, nor be as long-term reliable...

Would you say this applies to all MU-7 3.0L Ddi VGS engines mfg. from '07 to the present or do MU-7 engine models of certain years have better modifications than others?

Poly- V belts are flat with small multiple V's (usually 7) on the pulley side. The pulley is also flat with corresponding V's machined into the pulleys. This system increases belt contact area greatly so reducing the chance of belt slip or throwing. Old V belt design uses the sides of the belt to grip, not the bottom of the pulley and is old tech.

• Like 1

Bearing in mind I didn't get to ride on the 16†rims the ride in the front is stable and after a 5 hour trip to BanTak's, Bhumibol Dam I suffered no ill effects or need for a butt massage. The offset from my wheel/tire set up is 0.9 of an inch larger than off the lot and I can feel a lot of contact with the road but the only detriment seems to be picking up and catapulting a lot of small stones! I went with Lenso rims and Falken tires on recommendation (admittedly) from the salesman.

I've not ridden in the back as yet but my wife tells me it's bouncy. However for 40k baht you can fit DMAX coil springs from EXO Club, 9k for an anti-sway bar and gas/oil adjustable shocks from 10 - 30k. I've gone with an assortment of cushions!

The MU-7 brakes are poor. A 240mm front disc and rear drums, combined with a 2/3rds pedal travel and what must be a thimble sized master cylinder mean never looking at your iGenie system when other vehicles are present. Maybe the weight/size difference of my tires doesn't help but surely the extra tread on the road would balance out?!? Regardless I've converted the rear to discs and front to a 355 disc with 4 pot calipers plus distribution of forward weight impetus down to 70% from 90% and the difference is noticeable and confidence boosting.

My understanding is they adjusted the bias once they converted the rear drums to discs, I've only been able to find a little info about this procedure online but have only given it cursory research.

Tires are R65/50/20 and if memory serves correct 111-S. Only removing the parking brake cable would void the Kenwood warranty but would slow me to use the hands free phone system properly. The come with it brakes are minimum spec so no problem there but Isuzu can't service them you have to go back to Runstop who provide a warranty anyway.

Eco Club claim to have an ECU converter that doesn't void your warranty and provides 40% more hp, if that's the case that may be my next upgrade.

Thanx! Any noticeable differences in the ride quality of your MU-7 since your last posting? Did you upgrade the subwoofer? Can you/do you ride with a spare 20" tire underneath or in the back cargo area?

Brakes can be done at Runstop and Angel Eyes, door lights and interior foot well blue lighting can all (?) be done at Bankenn. OK.

Would you list the contact info for ECO/EXO cub for the springs-to-coils conversion and gas shocks and (maybe) anti-sway bar?

Poly- V belts are flat with small multiple V's (usually 7) on the pulley side. The pulley is also flat with corresponding V's machined into the pulleys. This system increases belt contact area greatly so reducing the chance of belt slip or throwing. Old V belt design uses the sides of the belt to grip, not the bottom of the pulley and is old tech.

Thanx Trans! Also, can you also explain the purpose of the "Like", "Don't Like" signs that show up on posters postings?

Edited by luwahn

Bearing in mind I didn't get to ride on the 16†rims the ride in the front is stable and after a 5 hour trip to BanTak's, Bhumibol Dam I suffered no ill effects or need for a butt massage. The offset from my wheel/tire set up is 0.9 of an inch larger than off the lot and I can feel a lot of contact with the road but the only detriment seems to be picking up and catapulting a lot of small stones! I went with Lenso rims and Falken tires on recommendation (admittedly) from the salesman.

I've not ridden in the back as yet but my wife tells me it's bouncy. However for 40k baht you can fit DMAX coil springs from EXO Club, 9k for an anti-sway bar and gas/oil adjustable shocks from 10 - 30k. I've gone with an assortment of cushions!

The MU-7 brakes are poor. A 240mm front disc and rear drums, combined with a 2/3rds pedal travel and what must be a thimble sized master cylinder mean never looking at your iGenie system when other vehicles are present. Maybe the weight/size difference of my tires doesn't help but surely the extra tread on the road would balance out?!? Regardless I've converted the rear to discs and front to a 355 disc with 4 pot calipers plus distribution of forward weight impetus down to 70% from 90% and the difference is noticeable and confidence boosting.

Thanx! Any noticeable differences in the ride quality of your MU-7 since your last posting? Do you experience any tire rubbing at all? Can you/do you ride with a spare 20" tire underneath or in the back cargo area? Did you upgrade the subwoofer?

Brakes can be done at Runstop and Angel Eyes, door lights and interior foot well blue lighting can all (?) be done at Bankenn. OK.

Would you list the contact info for ECO/EXO cub for the springs-to-coils conversion and gas shocks and (maybe) anti-sway bar?

Thanx Trans! Also, can you also explain the purpose of the "Like", "Don't Like" signs that show up on posters postings?

The brakes are a lot sharper and stopping distance has definitely improved. subwoofer obviously has improved the overall sound quality. I live 8km from Exo Club so just popped in but they do have a website. Tires are 265/50/R20 just noticed that came out wrong somehow. Spare wheel is the OEM as risk of theft vs need was a concern but remember it will get me home or to a garage in a pinch as virtually same diameter.

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

.....and there's simply no other diesel engine in the segment that will run as efficiently, nor be as long-term reliable...

Would you say this applies to all MU-7 3.0L Ddi VGS engines mfg. from '07 to the present or do MU-7 engine models of certain years have better modifications than others?

Reliability has always been an Isuzu strong point, IMHO.

Some might consider it old-tech, but the it gets the job done, and just keeps on doing it... Just like a hammer is much less sophisticated than a nail gun, but will keep on hammering-in nails, rain, hail, blackout or snow ;)

• Like 1

Some might consider it old-tech, but the it gets the job done, and just keeps on doing it... Just like a hammer is much less sophisticated than a nail gun, but will keep on hammering-in nails, rain, hail, blackout or snow wink.png

I've had the head of a hammer fly off over my head once and have broken a couple of wooden hammer handles too. laugh.png

• Like 1

The brakes are a lot sharper and stopping distance has definitely improved. subwoofer obviously has improved the overall sound quality. I live 8km from Exo Club so just popped in but they do have a website. Tires are 265/50/R20 just noticed that came out wrong somehow. Spare wheel is the OEM as risk of theft vs need was a concern but remember it will get me home or to a garage in a pinch as virtually same diameter.

Got it and thanks a lot once again! I still say this thread should be pinned as "the" example for 'How to do a all encompassing MU-7 upgrade!'

Some might consider it old-tech, but the it gets the job done, and just keeps on doing it... Just like a hammer is much less sophisticated than a nail gun, but will keep on hammering-in nails, rain, hail, blackout or snow wink.png

Excellent analogy.......! thumbsup.gif

I've had the head of a hammer fly off over my head once and have broken a couple of wooden hammer handles too. laugh.png

cheesy.gif Classical Transam.....but you're getting better because that was a pretty good one!! clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif

....but I still wouldn't give up my day job, though, if I were you!

• 2 months later...

Lol @ the chrome on the handle..

I get why some people make the handle chromed. It looks fine. But those who put the full background of the handle in chrome are just looking for status. If i saw this car on the road id think "Hmm there goes a 5'1 guy who saved 35years and sold 5 of his 6 Buddha amulets'

Pimped out correctly(including the ugly dashboard) the mu-7 imo can look extremely cool. Kind of like a weaker Escalade.

Would rather have a dmax or a nissan navara if i had to chose a boxy truck. Navara looks strong OEM and dmax can look very hot with some small and tasteful mods.

Chrome backround for handles are not only decorative, but lessens scratches behind hadles that all vehicles get! By the way, I am only 5'6" and can afford to buy without selling anything, and an Escalade is just a refurbish version of the old Chevy Blazer! I have driven them and full of plastic same as all the rest, and don't deserve the Cadilac emblem!!

A Moo 7, I guess it was just not your lucky day. Had you been lucky, you would have driven right by the Isuzu dealer, and avoided what has to be the biggest, ugliest piece of cr@p on the roads of Thailand. In a year, I haven't see more than one on the road, and for good reason, I think. Perhaps you have a wife and 12 kids or are a platoon leader and need to carry around 14 or more people on a regular basis. Nothing else could justify owning a bus like that. Now that you own it, good luck trying to park it. Hopefully, you'll be luckier/smarter on you next transport purchase.

I think he bought it so you would ask stupid questions like this! I don't know what dirt village you live in, but I see LOTS of MU-7 in and around Bangkok, perhaps you are jealous? Can't believe how many people like you think all others should ask your opinion before buying anything. As for his wife and kids if he has them, those are subjects you should definately keep your mouth shut about, Talk junk about a mans truck, but family putdowns are tabboo, here and most places. Suggest you look for a consulting job since you are an expert, and let some of us ask and receive advice from someone more civil!

No like button on Android :-)

Sent from Android please excuse errors in type or judgement

• Like 1

Lol @ the chrome on the handle..

I get why some people make the handle chromed. It looks fine. But those who put the full background of the handle in chrome are just looking for status. If i saw this car on the road id think "Hmm there goes a 5'1 guy who saved 35years and sold 5 of his 6 Buddha amulets'

Pimped out correctly(including the ugly dashboard) the mu-7 imo can look extremely cool. Kind of like a weaker Escalade.

Would rather have a dmax or a nissan navara if i had to chose a boxy truck. Navara looks strong OEM and dmax can look very hot with some small and tasteful mods.

Chrome backround for handles are not only decorative, but lessens scratches behind hadles that all vehicles get! By the way, I am only 5'6" and can afford to buy without selling anything, and an Escalade is just a refurbish version of the old Chevy Blazer! I have driven them and full of plastic same as all the rest, and don't deserve the Cadilac emblem!!

Kevlar?!? would be a better use than the petrol tank cover!