NACC Decides To Take Legal Action Against Former Auditor-General Jaruvan

webfact

NACC decides to take legal action against Jaruvan

By The Nation

The National Anti-Corruption Commission has resolved to take legal action against former auditor-general Jaruvan Maintaka for allegedly misusing state funds for a bogus seminar for her staff.

"There was no seminar, no distribution of documents and no brainstorming of any kind," NACC spokesman Klanarong Chantik told a news conference at the agency's office yesterday.

'Seminar did not take place'

Investigation by a panel found that Jaruvan had approved a budget of Bt480,000 for holding the seminar in October 2003 but the event did not actually take place, he said.

The officials from the Auditor-General's Office instead went on an excursion for a kathin ceremony - offering new robes to monks - without taking part in any seminar, he said.

The decision was made after the questioning of 48 witnesses, he said.

The anti-graft agency will next submit its report to the Office of the Attorney-General for criminal indictment of Jaruvan on charges of malfeasance and dereliction of duty.

Severe disciplinary action will also be sought for Kamphi Sonjai, human-resources director of the Office of the Attorney-General, for causing damage to the state agency, said Klanarong.

Jaruvan, who is no longer the auditor-general, insisted that the seminar on the "Office of the Auditor-General in the Eyes of Senate Members" did take place and that the presentation of kathin robes was just a side event.

Former Nan senator Santipap Intarapat had testified to the NACC that he had acted as a speaker at the seminar, she said.

"I don't understand why the NACC made its conclusion that way. There was no irregularity regarding this matter," she said.

Klanarong also said the NACC had discovered that landholding documents for nine plots on a mountain in the Southern province of Surat Thani were unlawfully issued to Tan Thaugsuban, who is the son of Democrat Party heavyweight Suthep Thaugsuban.

However, the NACC has not decided whom to charge in this case.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-09-07

Hopefully this will make the burocrats sit up and take notice, as they are worse than their political masters when it comes to corruption, though I won't hold my breath.

My sister-in-law is a schools area adminstrator with a big budget responsible for buildings and infrastructure repair and maintenance. While the schools under her control are shoddy and seemingly lacking in funds, she and her co-workers make at least three overseas study trips a year to expensive places such as Switzerland and Japan. In addition, there are these monthly seminars which have to take place in resorts such as Trat, Phuket, Hua Hin, Chiang Mai or wherever the fancy takes them.

I won't even begin to mention the income-generating schemes they run using the free services of the students in the name of vocational training.

Corrupt to the core.

Hopefully this will make the burocrats sit up and take notice, as they are worse than their political masters when it comes to corruption, though I won't hold my breath.

My sister-in-law is a schools area adminstrator with a big budget responsible for buildings and infrastructure repair and maintenance. While the schools under her control are shoddy and seemingly lacking in funds, she and her co-workers make at least three overseas study trips a year to expensive places such as Switzerland and Japan. In addition, there are these monthly seminars which have to take place in resorts such as Trat, Phuket, Hua Hin, Chiang Mai or wherever the fancy takes them.

I won't even begin to mention the income-generating schemes they run using the free services of the students in the name of vocational training.

Corrupt to the core.

I remember being in the same hotel as a meeting of the constitutional court down on the beach past Rayong. At least 80 odd people, 5 days, full buffet lunches etc etc. My kids were a little partial to the cakes as they walked by, but when I told them not to take the cakes, my wife piped up "hey, Daddy bought those with his tax". It did get a little wry smile out of some of the assembled black suited and booted attendees.

Corrupt to the core.

Apologies for the off topic but what does your screen name NCFC mean mate?

Seems somebody has a personal score to settle or they wouldn't be going this far back to find corruption. Just turn over any convenient rock and you will find enough corruption to keep the courts busy for a lifetime.I would have thought the 'statute of limitations' would be in effect after this long. Oh, well, it's easy to make enemies here and they say that revenge is a pudding best eaten cold. She was pretty hard on the Thaksin administration so now it is payback time. I suppose we will see more of these cases from this 'not vengeful' government.

Of course this never cropped up since 2003, but suddenly does, out of the blue, as Thaksin pulls in more power. Jaruvan has been one of the star names on Thaksins enemies list for a LOOONG time.

So this doesn't surprise a bit. paybacks a bitch and best eaten cold.

This is not surprising, Jaruman was a big enemy of Thaksin. He went to great efforts to try to get her out of her office. She had a reputation for uncompromising honesty.

I don't know the details of this case, but it sounds more like a case of revenge more than justice.<_<

In the end she fell out with virtually everyone though including the Democrat led government. Maybe time just passed her by as so much changed so quickly in a short period of time.

Edited to add: Klanarong is no friend of Thaksin either

Edited by hammered

It is interesting to read the Wikileaked meeting between Jaruwan and the US ambassador in the run-up to Thaksin's ouster, when she was auditor-general.

She outlined several cases of corruption under the Thaksin government that were going un-investigated at that time and claimed that she had several times been offered bribes by Thaksin's supporters and a family member.

She claimed she was motivated by the support she felt she had from the highest authority in the land and gave examples of why she felt that was the case. This would reinforce what Hammered said about not being too popular with Dems either. If you're going to be politically neutral, it seems you may not end up with many friends ;)

This is not surprising, Jaruman was a big enemy of Thaksin. He went to great efforts to try to get her out of her office. She had a reputation for uncompromising honesty.

I don't know the details of this case, but it sounds more like a case of revenge more than justice.<_<

In the end she fell out with virtually everyone though including the Democrat led government. Maybe time just passed her by as so much changed so quickly in a short period of time.

Edited to add: Klanarong is no friend of Thaksin either

This is exactly right. It's payback time. Jaruvan was one of the least corrupt.

who r you

I don't know the details of this case, but it sounds more like a case of revenge more than justice.

NACC Finds Former Auditor General Guilty of Malfeasance

The anti-graft panel is looking to press charges against a former auditor general for malfeasance and dereliction of duties.

The National Anti-Corruption Commission or NACC has decided to seek criminal prosecution against former Auditor General Jaruwan Mentaka and former Director of the Administration and Human Resources Development Office Kamphee Somjai for being negligent in her duties.

The anti-graft panel found that the Office of Auditor-General requested a budget of 480,000 baht to organize a workshop in Nan Province on October 31, 2003. The workshop never took place.

The NACC found that Jaruwan led officials who were supposed to attend the workshop to a royally sponsored robe-offering ceremony at three temples in the province instead.

Then they attended a party where there was no documents mentioning the seminar.

There was only a document that carried a welcome message for the former auditor general and her guests.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2011-09-07

footer_n.gif

NACC Finds Former Auditor General Guilty of Malfeasance

The anti-graft panel is looking to press charges against a former auditor general for malfeasance and dereliction of duties.

The National Anti-Corruption Commission or NACC has decided to seek criminal prosecution against former Auditor General Jaruwan Mentaka and former Director of the Administration and Human Resources Development Office Kamphee Somjai for being negligent in her duties.

The anti-graft panel found that the Office of Auditor-General requested a budget of 480,000 baht to organize a workshop in Nan Province on October 31, 2003. The workshop never took place.

The NACC found that Jaruwan led officials who were supposed to attend the workshop to a royally sponsored robe-offering ceremony at three temples in the province instead.

Then they attended a party where there was no documents mentioning the seminar.

There was only a document that carried a welcome message for the former auditor general and her guests.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2011-09-07

footer_n.gif

This requires criminal charges????? I think I can hear Samak chuckling to himself.

Corrupt to the core.

Newport County Football Club? They play in the lower leagues of English football and it seems their sole trophy over 90 years was to win the Welsh Cup one year. They went bankrupt 23 years ago and were expelled from all senior football. Their shirt colour is Amber but it seems it will never change to Green. :D

Jaruvan Maintaka

Wasn't she in the news some years ago about building her mansion? :unsure:

That's not a mansion.

These are mansions:

The sale of the luxury townhouse on Hong Kong's prestigious Victoria Peak raised eyebrows earlier this year because the 210 million Hong Kong dollar price tag made it Asia's most expensive property per square foot.

June 13, 2007

OR

Paetongtarn Shinawatra, 22, signed an agreement last month to buy the three-story house at the King's Park Hill development for 45 million Hong Kong dollars (US $5.81 million), according to land registry records obtained by The Associated Press.

December 11, 2008

http://www.irrawaddy.org/highlight.php?art_id=14774&page=1

Newport County Football Club? They play in the lower leagues of English football and it seems their sole trophy over 90 years was to win the Welsh Cup one year. They went bankrupt 23 years ago and were expelled from all senior football. Their shirt colour is Amber but it seems it will never change to Green. :D

:lol:

I was hoping it was Norwich City Football Club. Another Canary same as me.

Jaruvan Maintaka

Wasn't she in the news some years ago about building her mansion? :unsure:

That's not a mansion.

These are mansions:

The sale of the luxury townhouse on Hong Kong's prestigious Victoria Peak raised eyebrows earlier this year because the 210 million Hong Kong dollar price tag made it Asia's most expensive property per square foot.

June 13, 2007

OR

Paetongtarn Shinawatra, 22, signed an agreement last month to buy the three-story house at the King's Park Hill development for 45 million Hong Kong dollars (US $5.81 million), according to land registry records obtained by The Associated Press.

December 11, 2008

http://www.irrawaddy.org/highlight.php?art_id=14774&page=1

Interesting - did the Shinawatra's also claim that their mansions were worth only 4 million baht? :ermm:

Corrupt to the core.

Perhaps Norwich City FC?