Revenue Department Chief Avoids Questions Over Tax Return To Shinawatra Family

webfact

Revenue Department Chief Avoids Questions Over Tax Return to Shinawatra Family

The revenue department's chief bolted when the press questioned him on his decision not to appeal the court order for a tax return to the children of ousted Premier Thaksin Shinawatra.

Director-General of the Revenue Department Sathit Rangkhasri rushed to the exit after yesterday's press conference on the RD Giving Art Award.

Sathit's escape came when he saw a throng of press members waiting for his explanation over his department's decision to give up its appeal against a court order to return 12 billion baht in taxes to Panthongthae and Pinthongtha Shinawatra, children of fugitive former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

The assets were frozen after the two were orginally found to have been guilty of tax evasion in the sales of Shin Crop shares in 2006.

The Shinawatra family later proved that the children did not own the shares, so were not liable for the tax evasion.

Sathit previously pledged to provide the details of the planned tax return and the department's policies after September 2.

The department still has not released an explanation of its decision to the Office of the Auditor General or OAG.

The OAG demanded the department to elaborate on its reason not to petition the court's ruling, and which party must be responsible for the damage resulting from the decision.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2011-09-07

footer_n.gif

Director-General of the Revenue Department Sathit Rangkhasri rushed to the exit after yesterday's press conference on the RD Giving Art Award.

Sathit's escape came when he saw a throng of press members waiting for his explanation over his department's decision to give up its appeal against a court order to return 12 billion baht in taxes to Panthongthae and Pinthongtha Shinawatra, children of fugitive former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

Now why would a man with nothing to hide who is a trifle overdue with his statement concerning tax refunds to Thaksins family make a bolt to escape the press?

Surely not the actions of a less than transparent man ?

Possibly the phone link to Dubai is not functional at this moment in time thus the script for the refund reasons speech has not yet been either formulated or delivered ?

reporter: '' at the risk of my being ostracized, beaten or maybe even killed by the radicals in the red faction, i want to ask you, are there any brave souls amongst the new elected members of the red government prepared to give a definitive answer to a question posed by the media?''

red government spokesman: ''err, ? now let me see ? i am not sure if we can do that, i just have to make a phone call.''

he returns 5 minutes later........

goverment spokesman: ''he says, sorry i mean,i think that i will have to defer that question to a colleague for now, he will likely set up a committee to look into it

we can then sit around and discuss exactly what he says, sorry what we think we can and can't discuss with you''

''now please just give us a chance without criticizing us, we will get it sorted out in six months or so'' ........................door closes as government spokesman leaves (phone heard ringing at same time)

Honestly, I have never understood the reasoning for that decision. The Shinawatra children were legally not the owners of those massive shares, but were able to sell them for a hefty profit? Who pocketed that money? Please correct me if I am wrong, but if I sell something that isn't really mine, then I must be held responsible in some way. Or not? And wouldn't the 'real' owner of those shares still be liable to paying tax anyway? Or at least should be held accountable for tax evasion for cunningly nominating other people for holding shares on his/her behalf and then using them to sell them at a grossly inflated price while pocketing all the profit?

Honestly, I have never understood the reasoning for that decision. The Shinawatra children were legally not the owners of those massive shares, but were able to sell them for a hefty profit? Who pocketed that money? Please correct me if I am wrong, but if I sell something that isn't really mine, then I must be held responsible in some way. Or not? And wouldn't the 'real' owner of those shares still be liable to paying tax anyway? Or at least should be held accountable for tax evasion for cunningly nominating other people for holding shares on his/her behalf and then using them to sell them at a grossly inflated price while pocketing all the profit?

The court ruled that Thaksin was the real owner of the shares, and his kids were therefore not liable to pay the tax.

The court ruled that Thaksin was the real owner of the shares, and his kids were therefore not liable to pay the tax.

All meaning that the paymaster should have been punished for what surely is illegal and should have been forced to pay the appropriate taxes. Nothing ever happened.

Surely there is also a case that the children (adults) participated in something illegal which is punishable.

Would it not have been wiser, to hang onto these assets, until the liability to pay this tax was correctly identified ? Somehow I suspect that it will never be paid, and this at a time, when the new government's spending-plans are going to require massive borrowing to fund. :o

Civil-servants need to remember, they're there to serve the country, not just one politically-well-connected family. <_<

Didn't take long before the shinawatra filthy family fingers dip deep into the money pots of Thai society.

Business as usual then.

Interestingly, I see the meglamaniac hasn't come home.

Too many riots waiting in response not to mention army snipers in training, but then when you've achieved your goal through a clone emptying the countries coffers what do you need to come back for?

At least Gaddaffi knows how to put on a show. when he raped the country he did it with a convoy of 250 gold laden cars.

Boring, boring Thaksin prefers electronic transfer.

So dull.

He can't even make a colourful tyrant.

Next.

Has anyone worked out yet that the director general wasnt appointed by this government but by the previous one

Yep.

Bribes or threats work whoever appoint you.

You are making an allegation that the gentleman was either threatened or bribed. Please substantiate your claim.

Are you also suggesting that the former Abhisit government bribed and threatened these officials to bring the charges which were not proven in court?

Edited by geriatrickid

However as the kids said on oath that they were the lawful owners, if in fact they weren't, there is certainly A case of some kind to answer here.

All this happened during the Democrats in power,isn't it?

Why this same guy is still in charge under another government?

Well i found this on ISN Hot news.

"The annual reshuffle of the bureaucracy is nearing. Revenue Department director-general Sathit Rangkasiri, who was appointed by the former Democrat-led government, could be replaced by deputy permanent secretary Benja Luicharoen, who is well-known for his opinion that the two children should not have to pay tax on their profits from selling their holding in Ample Rich to Temasek Holdings.

Earlier, Mr Sathit announced the department was ready to cut the corporate tax to 20% when it was known Pheu Thai Party had won the July 3 election.

It was unusual for a high-ranking bureaucrat to come out to announce such a tax policy change when the new government had yet to be formed."

Looks like Mr Sathit has been protecting his career.. He has been at the Revenue Dept a number of years after all.

Of course he runs. There is no way to answer their questions that won't get him fired, if not killed by the red democracy mobs.

Dems need to hire a western propaganda firm like Thaksin uses that actually knows what to do with the rope this government is hanging themselves with. This is getting to be a joke.

Just hard to imagine this kind of stuff going on in any other country. Nearly $400 million dollars returned to PM's brother's children because it's really the father that has to pay the taxes, oh and they're not interested in collecting from the father either. Oh and here is a reversal of a prison sentence on evading $18 million in taxes too, purpose of law is collection not punishment, and they're not interested in collecting the missing money either! And sorry about the no new minimum wage, but here's some corporate tax cuts to make up for it. Party of the people, down with the elites!

I am sure I read on this forum or one of the newspapers that the Children had bought and sold the shares legally on the stockmarket and that is why the money was returned to them.

So wouldn't that mean that Thaksin had had put the shares on the stockmarket legally for sale, thus eliminating him from any fraud.

If he had a deal with the children or other members of the family would that not be their private business.

However as the kids said on oath that they were the lawful owners, if in fact they weren't, there is certainly A case of some kind to answer here.

The clone Prime Minister also said, under oath like her niece and nephew, that she, too, was the owner of her shares in the family pie, which was false.