Making Decent Money In Thailand....How?

Hey guys,

Just wondered if anyone is interested in sharing their stories on how best to go about making a decent income/ second income in Thailand?

I am a Teacher in Bangkok, However trying to live of 35,000 k a month and save is difficult and even with a few extra tuition classes at a language agency every other week only brings my wage in to around 45,000 k max a month which is still quite poor to save on

I have heard and read stories about a lot of lets say "unqualified" people who have done quite well for themselves in one way or another being legitimately able to make around 100,000 k and I'm thinking how is this possible on a normal job? (i.e if you haven't been contracted over here to work for a foreign company on a foreign wage)

I guess I would be happy even to just double my wage by supplementing a second income of half my teachers job and be coming out with 70,000k p/m and just looking for some inspiration!

Thanks for reading! rolleyes.gif

Not sure what you mean by "unqualified people", but there are many who are qualified and hired locally by companies within that income range as well.

If some one is on an overseas hire... Expat package... there are going to be making much more than 70-100k per month.

If you are qualified for work in another field, you may want to hit the streets and network in order to find a job outside of teaching as a local hire.

hard work....and if you are going to stay in that field, really hard work.

I know an English couple who basically worked their tits off.

Started off in language schools before moving over to become assistants and teachers at one of the more well known schools. Saved that salary.

Worked 4.30 to 9pm every day doing after school tutorials. Lived off that money. Didn't become piss heads, didn't go down the slippery slope that Thailand can make you do down if you aren't careful.

Did this for about 10 years.

Bought property back in the UK with their savings and rented those out.

The now live off a small boat in Phuket.

Edited by samran

I retired and lived in Thailand for 5 years now and have abusiness that make decent income. Butit isbecause I invested a big chunk of $$ in the business.

In my opinion, I am not really sure why any Frang come hereto work and live. The pay is bad, the working condition is even worse, my adviceto Frang is to go back home and make your money and come and retire here if youcan

Half tongue in cheek/ half serious. Unqualified/ unskilled leaves you 2 options, to become a Financial 'advisor' or a Real Eatate agent.

Get yourself up to date Buddy !!

To become a FA even in Thailand takes a serious amount of education and course passes these days (well same actually as 20 years ago)

Big difference in me saying buy the Dax or sell Gold compared to financial services products heavily regulated.

Edited by Chivas

In my opinion, I am not really sure why any Frang come hereto work and live. The pay is bad, the working condition is even worse, my adviceto Frang is to go back home and make your money and come and retire here if youcan

Of course you are talking in general terms of course, plenty of farangs who work in Thailand who are making excellent money and in some cases better than their own countries...;)

Of course you are talking in general terms of course, plenty of farangs who work in Thailand who are making excellent money and in some cases better than their own countries...;)

Yes but he didn't mean those, he meant the ones who come here without a plan other than to be a teacher without realising the cost of living (well) here..

Half tongue in cheek/ half serious. Unqualified/ unskilled leaves you 2 options, to become a Financial 'advisor' or a Real Eatate agent.

To become a FA even in Thailand takes a serious amount of education and course passes these days (well same actually as 20 years ago)

Big difference in me saying buy the Dax or sell Gold compared to financial services products heavily regulated.

Sure thing :whistling: Keep telling yourself that enough times and you might even believe it.

Sure thing :whistling: Keep telling yourself that enough times and you might even believe it.

So lets be clear-you are saying financial service products sold through the likes of Bangkok Bank and SCB are totally unregulated ??

So lets be clear-you are saying financial service products sold through the likes of Bangkok Bank and SCB are totally unregulated ??

Uhm, I am pretty sure that he's saying that most financial "advisers" are full of it and don't have a clue... Pretending know a lot while gambling with other people's $ until their luck runs out....

He doesnt need to believe it, he only needs the suckers that buy the crap commission based products he sells to believe it.

Wont bother naming the products we have heard them all before.

Not if you're one of the boiler room guys that keeps calling me.

Hi,

I'm a teacher also, until the end of the month anyway, I teach in rural Thailand which is how I can save money as my cost of living is so low.

As I see it your only other option to make more money, being "unqualified" as I am also is to start working online. I started my own website a little over a year ago with absolutely no experience whatsoever. It is hard work though and I basically locked myself in my house for the first few months and the learning curve was so steep, but I've got there, now things are starting to pay off :)

When most people think of their own website they think how do I go about it?? Then their first port of call is usually a designer, seo "guru" etc, etc, these all cost a fortune as I found out. Also you will see many online schemes offering all manner of ways to make money quickly,,, forget em. Most are totally unworkable at best, and scams at the worst. There's no such thing as get rich quick!

To give you an idea of where I'm heading, a colleague of mine in the USA has just topped $10.000 in a month. She has worked her butt off for two years on two sites.

You'll also be surprised at how many ways you can make money online with a website. Contact me if you want some serious info and yes I am an affiliate ;) which is just one way to make a crust.

Best of luck and go for it

It's quite simple really, you're in the wrong line of work.

While it might seem unfair, being qualified to teach English in Thailand means that you might possibly be qualified to wait tables at a Howard Johnson's on the US. Sure, at HoJo's you'll probably get more than your 30K baht per month just in tips, but think of all the perks that you get by being in in Thailand.

Edited by OriginalPoster

+1

Edit: and tax free to boot.

Edited by PattayaParent

+1

;)

+1

;)

I think you mean you're not paying tax...not it's "tax free" :whistling:

RAZZ

RAZZ

I think he means he is not paying the tax somebody else is paying it on his behalf and its not being taken as a salary deduction.... ergo...for all intents and purposes its tax free as far as PP is concerned.....:whistling:

RAZZ

I think he means he is not paying the tax somebody else is paying it on his behalf and its not being taken as a salary deduction.... ergo...for all intents and purposes its tax free as far as PP is concerned.....:whistling:

Correct.

maybe more accurate to say 'tax paid'