Iphone 5

saintofsilence

Apple’s carrier partners get ‘near-final’ build of iOS 5 with speech and Facetime 3G

Apple’s carrier partners have been seeded a ‘near-final’ build of the iOS 5 software destined for the iPhone 5 when it launches later this year, reports 9to5Mac. The new build has several additional features enabled including Facetime over 3G and the speech-to-text features that we have previously talked about.

http://thenextweb.com/apple/2011/09/07/apples-carrier-partners-get-near-final-build-of-ios-5-with-speech-and-facetime-3g/

Edited by saintofsilence

Woah! Apple is so innovative with iOS5...

Video calling over 3G and voice recognition! It's like 2009 again!

What have you done in the meantime?

Video calling never took off - it was introduced in 1999 as far as I remember, but so expensive that nobody ever used it. It was supposed to be the killer feature for 3G. Took them until 2007 to figure out people actually like to access the internet on their devices...

FaceTime was a bit of a disappointment but that's in part because nobody had it - you had to have an iPhone 4, and a WiFi connection. The end result is any time I tried to use it, it didn't work. Those times that it did work it was OK - arguably nicer than Skype video calling.

I don't know about doing it over 3G - it's yet another step into making the carriers dumb data pipes, that's for sure. But it's probably going to be too slow. Certainly on True 3G in Thailand, that's not really fast enough for Skype. And even more so at AT&T's insanely crappy network in the USA. Then again, they'll fix these things eventually...

Woah! Apple is so innovative with iOS5...

Video calling over 3G and voice recognition! It's like 2009 again!

What have you done in the meantime?

Video calling never took off - it was introduced in 1999 as far as I remember, but so expensive that nobody ever used it. It was supposed to be the killer feature for 3G. Took them until 2007 to figure out people actually like to access the internet on their devices...

FaceTime was a bit of a disappointment but that's in part because nobody had it - you had to have an iPhone 4, and a WiFi connection. The end result is any time I tried to use it, it didn't work. Those times that it did work it was OK - arguably nicer than Skype video calling.

I don't know about doing it over 3G - it's yet another step into making the carriers dumb data pipes, that's for sure. But it's probably going to be too slow. Certainly on True 3G in Thailand, that's not really fast enough for Skype. And even more so at AT&T's insanely crappy network in the USA. Then again, they'll fix these things eventually...

iChat had video "calling" when OSX was introduced. Still has it. I kind of wondered why they brought out FaceTime. I guess because iChat isn't available on "devices."