Floor Tiling

boracic

Can anyone please recommend a reliable floor tiler (bangkok), and if possible give a ball park figure for labour per square metre. and the number of days needed ?

Thank you in advance.

Edited by metisdead
Font resized.

100-120 baht per sq metre and you buy all materails. Maybe slightly higher in Bangkok, as for days needed would depend on how big the job was, is the floor new is it clear do other tiles have to be removed.. are there many obstacles to cut around, are steps involved the list goes on, but the figure of 100-120 is based on new floor and open area.

Hope this helps as a guidline.

• 2 weeks later...

100-120 baht per sq metre and you buy all materails. Maybe slightly higher in Bangkok, as for days needed would depend on how big the job was, is the floor new is it clear do other tiles have to be removed.. are there many obstacles to cut around, are steps involved the list goes on, but the figure of 100-120 is based on new floor and open area.

Estimator arrived First I asked if new tiles could be laid on old, without a glance was told NO. Websearches on DIY say can be OK. My existimg floor is very good just want to change colour.

The quote for 40 m^2 labour only 24,5000 baht by sms. I paid 500 baht for the quote, no indication of material for sticking etc..I know I can calculate tile costs,

Warrranty 6 months.

Hi Boracic,

You had to pay 500 Baht for a quote in Thailand?

I have never had to pay for a quote off any builders in Thailand in my 14 years of living here, so maybe I'm just lucky.

Can any other board members advise me if paying for a building quote is more regular than I am aware of?

Sorry to Hi-jack your thread Boracic but I am genuinely interested about this quotation issue.

Regards,

Tiger

Hi Boracic,

I have never had to pay for a quote off any builders in Thailand in my 14 years of living here, so maybe I'm just lucky.

Can any other board members advise me if paying for a building quote is more regular than I am aware of?

Sorry to Hi-jack your thread Boracic but I am genuinely interested about this quotation issue.

Regards,

Tiger

In answer to your question I have had the same thing, 500 baht just to look at the job, needless to say I refused if they dont like the job they just give you a stupid quote and then collect their 500 baht. However I am interested in the floor tiles as I intend to rip up my wooden floor which is a mess and replace it will tiles something I wanted to do from the start but was talked out of it.

Hi Boracic,

Regards,

Tiger

In answer to your question I have had the same thing, 500 baht just to look at the job, needless to say I refused if they dont like the job they just give you a stupid quote and then collect their 500 baht. However I am interested in the floor tiles as I intend to rip up my wooden floor which is a mess and replace it will tiles something I wanted to do from the start but was talked out of it.

Anyone asking for 500 baht for giving a quote is taking the piss, I have never been asked to pay any money for having a quote and neither has anyone I know.

To the poster above, dont know where you are, if you go to any large nationwide store they will supply labour for you and charge 300 baht per s/m to fit tiles, you buy all the materials.

Be aware theymay not have their own dedicated workforce, they will sub contract, usually paying about 200 baht per s/m and charge you 300.

Make sure this is all thrashed out before parting with any money, make sure you pay the money to the store and not to contactors.

I had contractors trying it on with me, I told them you dont work for me you work for the store, they got more belligerent, phone call to store sorted that out, they were quickly replaced, then had the cheek to ask for payment, take it up with the store was my answer.

Hi Boracic,

Regards,

Tiger

Anyone asking for 500 baht for giving a quote is taking the piss, I have never been asked to pay any money for having a quote and neither has anyone I know.

To the poster above, dont know where you are, if you go to any large nationwide store they will supply labour for you and charge 300 baht per s/m to fit tiles, you buy all the materials.

Be aware theymay not have their own dedicated workforce, they will sub contract, usually paying about 200 baht per s/m and charge you 300.

Make sure this is all thrashed out before parting with any money, make sure you pay the money to the store and not to contactors.

I had contractors trying it on with me, I told them you dont work for me you work for the store, they got more belligerent, phone call to store sorted that out, they were quickly replaced, then had the cheek to ask for payment, take it up with the store was my answer.

I am not far from Victory Monument and was thinking of getting my tiles from HomePro and asking them for someone to do the job. Thanks for the advice.

Estimator arrived First I asked if new tiles could be laid on old, without a glance was told NO. Websearches on DIY say can be OK. My existimg floor is very good just want to change colour.

The quote for 40 m^2 labour only 24,5000 baht by sms. I paid 500 baht for the quote, no indication of material for sticking etc..I know I can calculate tile costs,

Warrranty 6 months.

Now if that isn't a steal at 612 Baht/m² :lol: .Oops it should read as,isn't that stealing.

Warrranty 6 months.

Keep in mind that laying the new tiles on the existing floor will bring up the floor level with about 5 cm,so what happens with the doors to the adjacent rooms

Warrranty 6 months.

Ok I see what has happened.

You have been quoted 300 per s/m to remove the old tiles = 12,000 baht.

Next 300 per s/m to lay new ones = 12,000 baht, total = 24,000 baht.

Yes new tiles can be laid on old ones, I was in a place on Sri Nakarin Rd this morning, was quoted 150 baht per s/m to lay tiles.

Assuming you pay 24,000 for old tiles to be removed and replaced and another say 600 baht per s/m for new tiles thats now a total of 48,000 baht for the lot.

Personally I would be tempted to paint the old tiles, a one litre tin should cover 8 s/m so just buy 5 tins, or buy one tin to see if the finish/colour is what you want, will be cheaper than retiling.

• 2 weeks later...

And on top of all that you have to buy tiles.

Actually, I have been looking into tiles for outdoor use and the prices are all over the place, from 5 Baht to several hundred Baht. The tiles need to be non-slip but also need to be able to handle dog pee without staining. Any reasonable suggestions for an area of 35 sqms?

Actually, I have been looking into tiles for outdoor use and the prices are all over the place, from 5 Baht to several hundred Baht. The tiles need to be non-slip but also need to be able to handle dog pee without staining. Any reasonable suggestions for an area of 35 sqms?

Dont know where in Bkk you are, so its hard to advise where to go.

The last time I saw non slip tiles was in a store right next door to Fashion Island (Ram Intra, Min Buri end), Grand Home Works or something like that was the name.

Come out of Fashion Island and turn left as if heading for Min Buri and the DIY store is on your LH side, well sign posted cant miss it.

Prices, didnt pay too much attention, depending on design etc about 600 baht per s/m.

Sorry cant be more helpful.

Dont know where in Bkk you are, so its hard to advise where to go.

The last time I saw non slip tiles was in a store right next door to Fashion Island (Ram Intra, Min Buri end), Grand Home Works or something like that was the name.

Come out of Fashion Island and turn left as if heading for Min Buri and the DIY store is on your LH side, well sign posted cant miss it.

Prices, didnt pay too much attention, depending on design etc about 600 baht per s/m.

Sorry cant be more helpful.

Thanks for your suggestions. I am in outer Sukhumvit. I just learned that there is a HomeWorks-HomePro sale being held all week at Bitech so will pop out there at the weekend to see what they have got on show.

There is also Thai Watsadu and Boonthavorn on Bangna Trad Road. My problem though is the actual tiles which I should use and was hoping for some pointers. I am a bit hesitant to believe everything the sales people tell me. They are often simply out to make a sale and as a result you may end up with something not appropriate for the purpose intended. :annoyed:

Thanks for your suggestions. I am in outer Sukhumvit. I just learned that there is a HomeWorks-HomePro sale being held all week at Bitech so will pop out there at the weekend to see what they have got on show.

There is also Thai Watsadu and Boonthavorn on Bangna Trad Road. My problem though is the actual tiles which I should use and was hoping for some pointers. I am a bit hesitant to believe everything the sales people tell me. They are often simply out to make a sale and as a result you may end up with something not appropriate for the purpose intended. :annoyed:

Garry,

I have only visited the Boonthaworn on Radjada, but its mainly granite and marble tiles in that branch, both of which arent non slip.

I mentioned the place at Fashion Island for the simple reason, the tiles had written in English, non slip, on them.

The mrs being more cynical than I, took the tile and put it on the floor, then started rubbing her foot along the tile, with shoe on and off.

Your last sentence hits the nail on the head, buyer beware, but non slip tiles are certainly available in Bkk irrespective of what sales staff tell you.

Another problem with the places you mention, do the sales staff actually work for the store, or are they just renting space in the store to sell their own brand.