3G Service In Pattaya Has Arrived!

FarangBuddha

It appears that AIS has flipped their 3G data switch for Pattaya sometime today...I'm seeing an "H" on my phone where the "E (EDGE)" symbol used to be :) :) :)

The speed is awesome...and I don't have any special plan...just AIS EDGE data plan (100 hrs B 350 per month).

Welcome everyone to the modern world!

Edited by FarangBuddha

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just because you could not get it on your phone before does not mean that it was not there. It was, just not on your telephone's bandwidth. TRUE 3G was there. Though good that there may be a choice now.

Thanks for the update.

Edited by Jiu-Jitsu

Just because you could not get it on your phone before does not mean that it was not there. It was, just not on your telephone's bandwidth. TRUE 3G was there. Though good that there may be a choice now.

Thanks for the update.

50-60 percent maket-share for AIS so pretty important for most smartphone users in Pattaya. Also, True's service is not "true" 3G...more like 2.5G in terms of speed/technology.

Also, I'm getting it on the Farside.

Thanks for the update.

50-60 percent maket-share for AIS so pretty important for most smartphone users in Pattaya. Also, True's service is not "true" 3G...more like 2.5G in terms of speed/technology.

How far is the farside?

3G on AIS as well over here, Soi SIam Country Club road.

Full signal (both WCDMA @ 99% and HSDPA @ 91% strength when connected).

Ping times much better then when on Edge, but speeds seem to be limited to about 375 kbps (0.35 mbps). Maybe need a separate package, but their effin website seems to be entirely in Thai only :(

Using AIS branded Huawei modem (freebee with an Acer Iconia tablet).

Will Try tomorrow in the Nong Plalai area...

post-4701-0-53721600-1315492379_thumb.jp

3G on AIS as well over here, Soi SIam Country Club road.

Full signal (both WCDMA @ 99% and HSDPA @ 91% strength when connected).

Ping times much better then when on Edge, but speeds seem to be limited to about 375 kbps (0.35 mbps). Maybe need a separate package, but their effin website seems to be entirely in Thai only :(

Using AIS branded Huawei modem (freebee with an Acer Iconia tablet).

Will Try tomorrow in the Nong Plalai area...

post-4701-0-53721600-1315492379_thumb.jp

It's my understanding that AIS can vary one's 3G speed depending on your data package. For people with some type of existing EDGE package, you automatically get their basic 3G service for no extra charge. It is all automatic and you don't have to make any changes to your plan or your phone.

However, if you want to get their faster 3G speeds, you will have to upgrade your data package to one of their premium ones. Before doing so, try the basic service first as the speed is quite a bit faster than EDGE and may suffice for many people. I can stream audio and video pretty smoothly now with the basic 3G whereas I couldn't on EDGE.

It's my understanding that AIS can vary one's 3G speed depending on your data package. For people with some type of existing EDGE package, you automatically get their basic 3G service for no extra charge. It is all automatic and you don't have to make any changes to your plan or your phone.

However, if you want to get their faster 3G speeds, you will have to upgrade your data package to one of their premium ones. Before doing so, try the basic service first as the speed is quite a bit faster than EDGE and may suffice for many people. I can stream audio and video pretty smoothly now with the basic 3G whereas I couldn't on EDGE.

This is what I'm currently experiencing. Left Pattaya a few days ago for a trip to Bangkok.

I'm seeing the 3.5G logo on my phone. I have an Edge data program, and am receiving 375 Kb down and 200 Kb up, (ping 790 ms).

On ThaiVisa speed test, Singapore server.

Actually never speed tested it in Pattaya, but had a go here in BKK. So if 3G is now available in Pattaya, it should be the same for the Edge packages.

Yea, couple people I know confirmed H showing up on their AIS phones today in Pattaya with significant speed increase. As far out as the Dark side (other side of sukhmuvit), up past 3rd rd, and around Tucom. So sounds like it's all over.

Edited by ES1

I called AIS this afternoon to sign up for the 350 baht 1G package and the very helpful (excellent English) lady told me that they had not "officially" opened 3G yet in Pattaya even though many people were seeing the 3G on their phones. She said I could sign up for the service (I did) but I might experience some down times as they were still making adjustments.

So far I am disappointed at the speed (about 300 down and 400 up), but hopefully that will improve. I am in Jomtien and I have seen the 3G signal all over Jomtien today.

Thanks for the update.

Of course you now know that your statement is nonsense.

Thanks for the update.

Sorry...still true.

Thanks for the update.

Sorry...still true.

Only true in your severely limited knowledge.

Speed tests from last year....

88624430.jpg94608652.jpg

Edited by Jiu-Jitsu

Thanks for the update.

Sorry...still true.

88624430.jpg94608652.jpg

What does that have to do with present day? "Last year" is like an eternity with wireless service. I don't know anyone getting those speeds on true anymore at any time of day or night. At midnight yesterday my buddy was getting 100kb/s down and 30kb/s up with True 3G. Not a typo. 30kb/s and that was with 5bars signal strength.

Maybe with AIS now offering service it will ease the congestion on True and speeds will improve.

Edited by ES1

Thanks for the update.

Sorry...still true.

88624430.jpg94608652.jpg

What does that have to do with present day? "Last year" is like an eternity with wireless service. I don't know anyone getting those speeds on true anymore at any time of day or night. At midnight yesterday my buddy was getting 100kb/s down and 30kb/s up with True 3G. Not a typo. 30kb/s and that was with 5bars signal strength.

Maybe with AIS now offering service it will ease the congestion on True and speeds will improve.

Others are reporting much higher speeds than 'your buddy'. Either way, TRUEMOVE 3G was there long before AIS 3G. Of that there is no doubt.

When it comes to reliability, neither TRUE nor AIS cover themselves in glory. Who is to say that AIS3G speeds won't also deteriorate?

As you write, hopefully now things will improve.

drove up and down sucamvit this morning .. did about 10 tests ..from theprasit to naklua all the same ... 360k up and down .. looks like there throtleing it to me ,,

i know i'm setup for 3g as had 3mb in hua hin last week

As has been reported by some, AIS 3G is not even "officially" available in Pattaya so probably some testing going on and speeds may increase later. Also, unless one has a specific 3G plan, you will get the basic (lowest) speed 3G service (which is still pretty good compared to the prior EDGE speeds).

On another point: Why does T-V's spell-checker flag "Pattaya" as a mispelled word...even in the "Pattaya Forum"? Maybe somebody in the programming department needs to update T-V's spellcheck word list! :lol:

On another point: Why does T-V's spell-checker flag "Pattaya" as a mispelled word...even in the "Pattaya Forum"? Maybe somebody in the programming department needs to update T-V's spellcheck word list! :lol:

A little off topic, but Thaivisa doesn't have a spell checker. The one you see is part of your browser/OS and is the same you'd use for any other website/form submission.

A little off topic, but Thaivisa doesn't have a spell checker. The one you see is part of your browser/OS and is the same you'd use for any other website/form submission.

I stand corrected...one would think world famous "Pattaya" would be in most browser spell-check word lists :jap:

Talked to a few people and everyone seems to be getting around 300k up/down. No worries. That is the speed the AIS plans throttle down to after 3GB so clearly it's the basic tier speed as someone above has mentioned. No doubt this will increase when they officially support 3g and/or you get a data plan.

Edited by ES1