Taking Money "From" Thailand To Uk.

Does anyone know if there is any easy way to get money from Thailand to the Uk?

I transferred a fair amour years ago and now would like it out and back to a UK bank.

I did not buy a condo and I do not have any letters from a bank. I just have money that I would like to get out?

Easy way????

lots of ways

Lets hear them then. Never had a problem sending the odd hundred k without documentation, but what about, say, 10 or 20 million?

A well known former PM didn't have any problems with that. :whistling:

117 suitcases. ;)

Can you show the original wire from your bank book? My bank (BB) have never asked for paperwork, but would 'do a check' (on Thai or farang) when moving a mil and up, although I guess they should be checking whatever amount you send. Anyway, good time to send it back; not much over 47 now.

Unless you can take out under $10,000USD regularly and back to the UK, its not easy to do it via bank international transfer WITHOUT documentation.

Being with BB, I have always found that whenever I needed to TT money back to the UK I needed to provide documentation as to where the money was coming from.....particularly when the amounts were over 500,000 baht.

As another poster (Paulian) mentioned: its easy to get money INTO Thailand, but without documentation, its very difficult to get it out.

Try to get some sort of documentation as to when you had the funds transferred into Thailand. That may help.

Ok well, Thai Baht to the UK to put back into UK pounds. And approximately 5 million, but not at once,it is not a lump sum, but over the course of a couple of years.

No documentation.

In case you have a work permit, there is no problem sending money out in chunks if they are not too big, even if you do it regularly. The bank wants to know a reason why, they suggested "supporting parents" (even though sending to an account in my own name).

Ask from which amount you run into money laundering checks, as this might slow the transfer down to weeks (and be aware that in some countries there might be such checks or tax issues on the other end, I have no idea about the UK). The paper work is monstrous, so it helps not being in a hurry and do not try it a few minutes before lunch break.

In case you have no work permit and no supporting evidence where the money came from, this might be a lot more difficult. I have no experience with that, but "shopping around" with different banks and talking to a manager (not the helpless counter girls!) might produce workable results. If not, maybe having a Thai national send the money is another way to try.

Somebody suggested exchanging the money to foreign currency here in Thailand; I tried that, it is possible but was like pulling wisdom teeth. Sending is definitely the much easier way. It very much helps if your account is in the main branch, as small local branches might not be able to do international transfers at all.

I have sent $20K US out the country thru BKK bank without any paperwork but i think something would be said if you were going in everyday to do it. If it's sporadic over a couple of years then should not be a big deal.

I only sent the $20K US once but have sent increments of $10K US very recently, like 3 times in the last month - no questions asked about paperwork.

JH

Buy Cashiers Cheques denominated in Sterling and drawn on Bangkok Bank London, carried by all the major branches of BB. Pay for cheque in THB, the conversion rate into Pounds is the same as the wire transfer rate hence excellent - BB will not ask any questions as long as the cheque is under USD 20k equivalent - make cheque payable to self. Repeat process at several branches of BB until you have enough cheques. Take all cheques to DHL and courier to your bank in the UK along with a deposit slip, DHL will charge you about THB 1,100, the cheques will clear in three working days.

I know this system works because I did it myself about five years ago when I sold my condo, I transferred THB 6 mill this way without a problem.