Torrents Troubles...

Dag

I use utorrents and all has been fine up until yesterday....it downloads slow, but consistently because we have poor connections here.

I currently have 40 downloading and up until yesterday they would all download at various times and various speeds, not all at once, just when seeders are active etc....the max number of torrents active happens to be 40 also, but this is just co-incidence.

Now, only the first few torrents will download, maybe 10 at a time at most and flicking back to 4 or 5 at a time....thing is all the usual torrents that creep away slowly have stopped....it still says 'downloading' but they are not doing anything....all the seeders are on 0 even when there are thousands of them and they all worked fine 2 days ago. It seems the whole bottom 2/3's have just stopped and do not register seeders or download.

Anyone know why and what might be wrong ??

If you're using the "uTorrent" Client, highlight one of the Torrents that has stopped downloading and click the "Info" tab at the bottom area of the screen. Check the "Availability" line - at the right, it will tell you what the current availability is on that file - if it's less than 1.0, the downloading will stop until more seeders with the missing parts of the file come on-line.

If current availability is greater than 1 and it still isn't downloading, right click on the torrent line and select "Force Start".

I NEVER download more than one Torrent at a time -- I'd suggest highlighting all but the one Torrent that is most important to you and click the "STOP" button. If the one that is still active doesn't start downloading after following the steps above, you've got some abnormal problem.

Once the one you want is finished, click "Stop" - highlight another one and click "START".

Edited by SurfRider

you may find your isp is throttling torrent during the day too, TOT does this. I agree with the above though limit it to 5 or less concurrent downloads (if slow\0 or fewer still if you want to prioritise and they are motoring.

Personally I stream rather than download as I don't intend to keep mivies after I watch them, but programs etc torrent or steam is the way online.

If you're using the "uTorrent" Client, highlight one of the Torrents that has stopped downloading and click the "Info" tab at the bottom area of the screen. Check the "Availability" line - at the right, it will tell you what the current availability is on that file - if it's less that 1.0, the downloading will stall until more seeders with the missing parts of the file come on-line.

If current availability is greater that 1 and it still isn't downloading, right click on the torrent line and select "Force Start".

I NEVER download more than one Torrent at a time -- I'd suggest highlighting all but the one Torrent that is most important to you and click the "STOP" button. If the one that is still active doesn't start downloading after following the steps above, you've got some abnormal problem.

Once the one you want is finished, click "Stop" - highlight another one and click "START".

Depends on the speed of your connection and the "health" of the torrent file, I.e., how many seeds there are. I have a cable broadband connection and as long as there are a decent number of seeds, I can download 4-5 with no problem. If you try to download more, I think your client software just divides your available download speed between them; so files just take longer to download.

Edited by FarangBuddha

thanks for all the info.

i shall give some of it a try and see what happens....but.....the info above does not address the issue as to why it was all working fine 2 days ago and now only DL's the top half dozen or so torrents in the list....not the top number of seeders or any such thing.

I also had no trouble with a greater number DL'ing at the same time before, i appreciate the word about less is best......but it all worked fine before and it seemed to select the torrents to DL with most seeders by itself and go up and down the list....as one would drop off, another would pick up....this will not happen if I stop all but 3 or 5.

As for throttling....dont think so as I use an aircard due to remotish location and I only get 30/40k download rates anyway.

It takes a long time to get a program, but better than nothing and several DL every week.

If I limit it to 5, then when they are not active, nothing else will be DL'ing and would need constant checking and rechecking by me and on standby with maybe nothing DL'ing.

There must be something that changed to start this problem, I do not think I changed anything.

Thanks

If you're using the "uTorrent" Client, highlight one of the Torrents that has stopped downloading and click the "Info" tab at the bottom area of the screen. Check the "Availability" line - at the right, it will tell you what the current availability is on that file - if it's less than 1.0, the downloading will stop until more seeders with the missing parts of the file come on-line.

If current availability is greater than 1 and it still isn't downloading, right click on the torrent line and select "Force Start".

Availability is less than 1....but, take as an example a torrent that a few days ago was DL'ing consistantly all the time....it is part of a series and I get 1 at a time....all the other series before it have had similar seed numbers and all completed....then this problem started and now it has 60 odd seeders....but not DL'ing at all.....with 60 odd seeders for this torrent it would always be DL'ing at various speeds....but steady....it is not now and all the others are in the same boat now.

Troubles seem to be fixed.......I know have about 15 torrents DL'ing all at various paces....3 finished DL'ing this afternoon......that is why I leave them all go, so they pace themselves...

Anyway, I paused 5 movies that I started 2 or 3 days ago, around the time these problems started....by stopping them all the others started up again as before....

Why would this be ??

I will wait now until most of the stuff is DL'd and then fire those movies back up one at a time anyway.

I also use uTorrents and sometimes have problems like you describe.

I have learned that as long as I have not changed any settings to leave well alone and it will right it's self.

With all the rain about connections are a bit flakey, stopping uTorrent and disconnecting for a short while will sometimes solve the problem.

As for the number of connections I have Global Maximum set to 200 with unlimited upload and download. Sometimes I can have 20 or more downloading at the same time without problem, as you say they pace themselves and you can allocate allocate high bandwidth to individual downloads if you want something in a hurry.

:D