Positive Stories About Thailand

theblether

I was just reading the topic " Sad Stories from Strangers" and I admit I actually replied!! Anyway it got me thinking that there must be a great well of positive stories about Thailand and I for one, would like to hear them. Let's hear the stories about relationships that have worked, businesses that were a success, vacations that were amazing!! Any success story.....I wanna hear it !! No doubt there will be some humorous stories in there too.

What makes you smile in the Land of Smiles?

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to work in hospitality as part of one of the biggest hotel chains in the world. It's what initially bought me to LOS. In the property I worked in we outsourced our English training to a really nice lad from Australia. He'd been in Thailand a short time and worked for an agency who sent him to us. Not mega bucks. Typical TEFL deal. He did a good job. Professional and dedicated.

I hadn't seen him in about 12 years when our paths crossed again in Bangkok and he invited me and my wife to his house for dinner. Nice place with pool and a new 5 series parked in the drive. Absolutely charming wife who was a buyer for Central. 2 gorgeous twin girls aged about 4. He'd set out on his own offering training programmes to top end hotels and ended up with his own hospitality training company.

Couldn't have happened to a nicer bloke.

Edited by mca

This one is concerning the taxi driver who collected us from the Airport on our departure/ return from holidays in UK,,, the wife, daughter and I left BKK a couple months ago for our holiday to UK,, we only left with 3 pieces of checked in luggage weighing only 30kg total, since I planned to return with a set of golf clubs that I had left in UK last year,,, so on our return we had the extra golf clubs plus extra bags and other bits and pieces,, collected our bags from the baggage hall at the airport and found our taxi driver who had been waiting for about an hour for us,, we had a very reasonable agreed rate for the 2.5 hour drive to our home, the same as what he charged on dropping us at the airport on departure, away we went en route to our home, thinking i'm very happy that I now have my own golf clubs with me,, when suddenly I thought we were a bit light on the bags we had collected,,,,,,, oops,,, 1 bag missing, and we're already 20 minutes from the airport and nearly through the BKK traffic,,, no problem he said, Taxi turned around and drove back to the airport,, we were another15 minutes in the airport getting through security and such, since we had to re-enter baggage hall,, we identified our bag and away back to taxi and away off home we went,,, and i'm thinking on the way home big taxi charge for this one,,,,,How much I said,,, he said I tell you already, we already agree same as time I drop you off,,, I told the wife to give him a few hundred extra, but he refused, saying he happy for have our business,,,,, seems that not all taxi drivers are out to rip you off, ,,,,

My best moments are when I find an honest Thai.

For example: The woman who owns the hotel where I stay cashed some traveler's checks for me, and really didn't know how much to give me. I didn't care that much, and figured the banks would have charged me more. As it turns out, I had to go to the bank with her, and re-sign the checks at the bank. I wasn't sure if she had over or under-charged me in the first place. Later that day, she handed me an envelope with 380 baht. I wished I had a camera.

.......positive, happy outcome stories happen everyday. Most of our encounters are pleasant, the one thing most of these incidents have in common is they make very BORING reading ...... (see above). Give me the drama, conflict,, pathos and dark humour.

Edited by daoyai

Two times I have left my phone behind (not exactly sober). One time I was a block away and I hear a thai yelling my name, turn around, "you forgot your phone"

In a taxi, woke up next morning with a heavy head and missing phone. Called my number, guy answered, bb was returned later that day.

Pickpocketed at pratunam....oops different topic.

Moral of the story, don't drink and use the phone, and never go into the crowded sidewalk areas around pantip, pratunam.

.......positive, happy outcome stories happen everyday. Most of our encounters are pleasant, the one thing most of these incidents have in common is they make very BORING reading ...... (see above). Give me the drama, conflict,, pathos and dark humour.

:thumbsup: I prefer the ugly, seamy side. The tales of woe, etc.

I am, by most measures that determine success in the west a loser. That is why I choose to live in Thailand and other South East Countries. The women, food, drink and accommodation are cheap here.

I happily idle my days away here eating and drinking to excess, watching television, sleeping and cheating on my girlfriends. It is a reflection of my contentment that one of my most pleasurable daytime activities here is the post coital afternoon nap.

It just doesn't get any more positive than that.

Too many to mention. From the smiles I get on my routine walk, to the great staff at my local hardware store and restaurants, to my fantastic Thai neighbors, to the honest Thai's who have returned various things I have left in restaurants (one was my passport! They ran me down in the mall). I've had some great experiences with the locals.

to the honest Thai's who have returned various things I have left in restaurants (one was my passport! They ran me down in the mall).

Bloody hell craig! I know Thais haven't got the best reputation as drivers but that takes the biscuit.

"HEY!!! YOU!!!! YOU!!!! FARANG!!!!!!!!!PASSPORT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

SCREECH.......................BANG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When I lately brought back a rented motorbike while a week in Bangkok, I was stuck at the Friday afternoon traffic at the place of the motorbike rental shop around Ramkhamhaeng 50 at the corner of Hua Mak and Rama IX in Bang Kapi.

The big intersection I was waiting was full of cars and all Taxis I waved did not want to take me, not even could I offer them to pay more, they just declined. I honestly was stuck there. I just wanted to go back to my hotel at Sukhumvit 8.

Fortunately there was a Thai woman also waiting beside me and she saw me, she asked me where I wanted to go and I told her Sukumvit but she said she will go somewhere else. Then a few minutes later her husband showed up with his car and picked her up. Since the traffic was so bad they were almost waiting in front of me for another few minutes und suddenly the woman opened the door and told me to hop in they would bring me to a place where I would be able to go back easily. I was so happy, seeing that I would never be able to leave that intersection by taxi.

They brought me to the Airport Express Station Huamak which was not too far away but took us about 25-30 minutes due to heavy traffic. They also explained me which trains I had to take in what direction and where to change trains.

Very very kind of them, I imagine if they would not have offered me the ride I would be still waiting there. From there I took the train two stations to Makkasan via Ramkhamhaeng and walked over to the Phetchaburi MRT station and took the MRT just for one station to Sukhumvit and then I switched to the Skytrain for another station to Nana. From Nana I just took a motortaxi back to my hotel and I guess since it was Friday afternoon, I was quickly back.

This was a very good and positive occurance and brings me the smile on my face. So I am really looking forward to move over to Bangkok this coming October. :D

Motorbike broke down after i went through an u turn where the water was too deep for the bike to handle. I was walking the bike back home (4-5km) when a Thai on a bike came up and told me to sit on my bike while he slowly pushed me. An other Thai came on an other bike and kept riding behind us making sure traffic was safe. All out of no where. That was nice of them.

What could be more boring than a stupid, senseless remark like that.

Maybe you're in the wrong forum. Try the Nothing Better To Say forum.

You sound like you lead a very satisfying, fulfilled life.

I have nice things happen to me all the time in Thailand. Where I go for coffee in the morning, there is the uncle of the manager gives me items to eat with my coffee he has brought back from Japan,Korea or Singapore or Burma.I really like the pistachio nuts with wasabi. At the same place one guy when he comes in and picks up his order always pays for my coffee,also stops to chat with me a little bit while waiting for his order.

Many of the local shops donot let me pay for small items when I go in always free. Last week when I had a party, I went to one of the shops I ordered food from,the woman refused to let me carry it and closed her shop and followed me home with the food I had ordered from her.Most of the the places I ordered from wouldnot let me carry the food to my truck and would carry it for me. When I do my morning jog people passing wai me constantly.

Everyday I get acts of real kindness from locals. I have been taken on quite a few trips to other provinces for a few days all for free.

Thailand is as good as you are good I feel.

For years at my home when i go out I leave the front gate open and my property is accessable , no one has ever entered my property and nothing has ever been stolen. I have flowering potted plants outside the property on the perimeter, not one has ever been touched.

I could go on. Stories of forgotten glasses,mobiles etc forgotten at places and returned.

Edited by lovelomsak

Good thread!:)

Good things happen all the time. As someone said, bad things get published more often. Things that don't happen in Europe: People just smiling at you, people brining your belongins (including cash money) after you if you forgot them or lost them, neighbours inviting you for dinner... This is a good country to live in.

But I believe you want to hear examples. Here is one: In the family-owned sidewalk "restaurant" where I often have lunch, they often bring me additional things like a desert the mother had made that day, or an extra bowl of soup from the aunt.

Here is another one: During a heavy rainfall a few years ago, water entered our house. Not much, half of the living room was under 2 cms of water. Enough to get me in panic though. Half the neighbourhood helped clean up the mess. Dunno whether this would have happened in a big city in Europe.

I have lots of stories about good things that happen to me with Thais. On at least 5 or 6 occasions I got asked to go to the lake with a bunch of the girls. They hire a van or borrow someone's car and pick me up along the way. And, I don't pay for a tthing. Same thing happened when a group of gals wanted to go bowling... they invited me to come along and I didn't pay. That tells me it's a friendship thing and not ALWAYS about the money. Every time I've had a flat tire a Thai has stopped to help me and never asked for payment. Sure, I pay for a new inner tube or new tire, but not for the help. I guess what goes around comes around in a form of Karma.

Hi guys. My story is I arrived here just over 8 years ago and was feeling a bit home sick. It was christmas time in Thailand.

I really wanted to show my wife and her kids how we celebrate xmas and wanted to buy a tree. we live in the absolute sticks and so we travelled to the closest town.

on arriving there, i found that they dont celebrate xmas at all and so a xmas tree was impossible to get.

anyway we went into a picture framing shop to do some business. the guy was just making pleasant conversation with my wife while we waited.

He asked what we were doing in town and she told him we were looking for a xmas tree and i was a little bit sad as we werent able to get one.

one moment, he said, and disappeared into the back.

I couldnt believe my eyes when he walked out....... he had a 5 foot artificial christmas tree. he gestured to my wife to take it. i was so pleased and asked him how much.

nothing, he said. i will be honest with you guys, i started to well up and my eyes started to water a little.

he really made my christmas that year when i was finding it difficult here.

there are some very nice and giving thai people out there. they are few and far between but when you meet one, it helps me remember why i live here still.

:D :D

I am, by most measures that determine success in the west a loser. That is why I choose to live in Thailand and other South East Countries. The women, food, drink and accommodation are cheap here.

I happily idle my days away here eating and drinking to excess, watching television, sleeping and cheating on my girlfriends. It is a reflection of my contentment that one of my most pleasurable daytime activities here is the post coital afternoon nap.

It just doesn't get any more positive than that.

Nice One...... My most positive story is very quick and to the point, I dont live in England anymore, "that green and pleaseant land" dont tkink so !!!

Motorbike broke down after i went through an u turn where the water was too deep for the bike to handle. I was walking the bike back home (4-5km) when a Thai on a bike came up and told me to sit on my bike while he slowly pushed me. An other Thai came on an other bike and kept riding behind us making sure traffic was safe. All out of no where. That was nice of them.

That reminds me of another positive story.

I got a puncture on my motorbike and 'phoned a friend who arranged for a repairman to come out and fix it. I had to wait about 30 minutes, but meanwhile 3 Thais stopped and asked me if I wanted a lift! And this was on a quiet street!

What could be more boring than a stupid, senseless remark like that.

Maybe you're in the wrong forum. Try the Nothing Better To Say forum.

You sound like you lead a very satisfying, fulfilled life.

More boring, stupid and senseless, your reply maybe? rolleyes.gif

Ok, happy talk, I often hear "yee sib kah" as "yee sib hah" so I hand over 25 baht only to have 5 handed back....always makes me smile.

Edited by daoyai

:rolleyes:

My story happened some years ago now. At the time I was just starting a job in Saudi Arabia and had been living in Bangkok for about 2 years, so I was short on money and needed to go back to work. So I went for a job interview and got the job in Saudi I needed. Part of the job package was an agreement by the company to compensate me for shipping some stuff i had stored in Bangkok back to the U.S. I packed a couple of boxes with my stuff, and took it to an agent to be sent back to the U.S. At the same time I went to pick up my company supplied airline ticket to Saudi.

I also had about 500 dollars in cash, which as I hadn't been working for 2 years, was a lot of money at that time for me.

I had my passport, my ticket, and my cash in a manila evelope.

I took a taxi to the shipping agents office, and left the two boxes with them for shipping. Then I went back down to the street and hailed a taxi to go back to the guesthouse where I was staying. I remeber dropping that manila envelope on the seat of the taxi as I sat down. When I got to the guesthouse I payed the taxi driver from my wallet and started to walk inside. At that point I realised that manila envelope was still on the rear seat of the taxi. The taxi drove off, and i tried to catch him, but he never looked back or stopped.

I went to the local police station to report the loss of my passport. I was feeling pretty unhappy, because that 500 dollars was pretty important to me at the time. For one thing, I still had to pay a 2 month bill for my stay at that guesthouse.

While I was there the taxi driver showed up. He had found the envelope on the rear seat of his taxi, opened it, and saw my passpor, money, and my airline ticket. Sohe went to the nearest police station...the same one where I was to report the loss of my passport. He saw me, and with the police as translators told me he had found my stuff in his taxi... and here it was.

I tried to give him a reward for returning it. but he refused to accept it. The reason was because he was a Buddhist, and about to go into the Wat for a week, and if he had kept my passport and money and not returned it he thought Buddha would be displeased and his religious retreat would be ruined by that action.

(He told the Thai police that same story in Thai, and it was traslated for me by the English speaking officer who was handling my case... so I believed him.) And we wouldn't accept my offer of a reward for the same reason. But he did accept 200 baht, for his wife and family, he said.

Nothing was missing, not even the 500 dollars in that envelope.

And that's my "good Thai" story.

:rolleyes:

Edited by IMA_FARANG

Happiest has to be discovering the linguistic treasures.

Knew one farang whose wife constantly called him dakling in front of everyone, you handsome dakling, you good man dakling, love you many many dakling.

I finally said to him, your wife is so kind to call you darling all the time.

He puffed out his chest, looked at the small circle of admiring farang around and boastfully said that we all needed to play our cards right if we wanted to be like him.

Wanting to help the wife out, I secretly tried to help her pronounce darling correctly.say it slowly darrrrr-lingggg

Over and over the pronounciation came back from her as dak-ling.

Finally exasperated, I asked her why can't you say dar-ling, but always say dak-ling.

She told me, I can say darling no problem, but I say dak-ling because it means "monkey –as*" which is what I call my husband..

Had to love it didn't have the heart to tell the guy.

Not sure if positive, but it sure made me laugh.

Edited by tailspin

So many nice stories from LOS....

I left my wallet at Mickys bar in Pattaya one night, I returned the following night to be amazed that one the girls kept it by for me! Was only about 600 baht in it, a few cards also...

And I just feel a LOT safer in LOS than i do in my own country :-)

to the honest Thai's who have returned various things I have left in restaurants (one was my passport! They ran me down in the mall).

Bloody hell craig! I know Thais haven't got the best reputation as drivers but that takes the biscuit.

"HEY!!! YOU!!!! YOU!!!! FARANG!!!!!!!!!PASSPORT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

SCREECH.......................BANG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy: