Hd Ready Vs Hd?

bkkjames

@bkkjames the box is definitely capable of receiving full hd and sending out full hd to your tv.

is True sending out full hd to your box is another question.

This is what I'm not grasping. I assume that when people in this thread are talking about "HD Ready" TVs they are talking about TVs that have 720p panels and that when they talk about "Full HD" they are talking about TVs that have 1080p panels. But most networks distribute HD television programming to cable companies encoded in 720p and a lesser number in 1080i (as opposed to 1080p). If True's set-top box is outputting a 1080p signal, then it must be interpolating pixels to upscale each frame from 720 X 1280 pixels to 1080 X 1920 pixels. But doing that shouldn't increase the resolution of the image, should it? If the original signal was encoded in 720p, wouldn't it be preferable for the set-top box to output it in it's native 720p format and to display it on a 720p panel instead of a 1080p panel?

I have the new box and you can set it for 720p or 1080i. I also have a 32 inch HD ready TV. Do you think I should set the box at 720? the installer said the TV was Ok for the 1080.

Why not try it on each setting and see which one looks best? I'd guess that there wouldn't be much of a difference, but that if that if the set's native resolution is 720p that it might look a little better if the settop box is outputting to 720p.