Thailand Voted Fourth Best World Destination

webfact

READERS' TRAVEL AWARDS

Thailand voted fourth best world destination

By The Nation

Thailand has been ranked the fourth best world destination in a survey conducted by the renowned Conde Nast Traveler magazine while Six Senses Hideaway Samui has been voted Best in the World, winning the number one spot in the Readers' Travel Awards Top 100.

A luxury hotel on the island of Samui, the Six Senses Hideaway Samui was awarded the top spot in the Best Overseas Hotel (Asia & India Subcontinent) and the Top 100 Best in the World categories, in the 2008 survey by the prestigious Conde Nast Traveler magazine.

The magazine summarised the winner's remarkable qualities by saying: "Every one of you (readers) who has stayed there raved about its sophisticated ambience/decor (93.75), environmental friendliness (97.50), lovely location (97) and extensive leisure facilities (96.25)."

In addition, two of Thailand's islands were picked in the top 15 Island category, while the country is also home to five of the best hotels in Asia & India Subcontinent category. The awards were announced on September 1, 2008.

Meanwhile, even though Thailand as a destination does not make the top spot on the Country category, it is a comfortable fourth in the overall ranking. Achieving a score of 91.39, Thailand is ranked only after New Zealand (95.11), India (94.11) and Italy (91.44). In the Island category, the Thai island of Samui (Koh Samui) comes fifth, while Phuket island ranks in the 13th place. Thailand is the only country in this category to have two locations rated in the top 15.

And despite being voted fourth in the Country category, the proverbial "land of smiles" still maintains its charms as a truly unique destination with deep-rooted cultures, traditions and charming heritage. The country achieves a "heartfelt" score of 97.68 for the people/hospitality category this year, again reaffirming the warm and welcoming quality of the Thai people. In its online version, Conde Nast Traveler concludes that Thailand is where visitors are "guaranteed" to meet "the world's warmest welcome."

Cond้ Nast Traveler Reader's Travel Awards Top 100 are determined by votes from the magazine's readers, compiled among all categories into the ultimate "best of the best" Top 100 list. The categories include countries, islands, cities, hotels, resorts, destination spas, cruise lines, airlines, airports, tour operators, and villa-rental companies. Being named the best of the Top 100 is an achievement for any hotel or destination.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-09-12

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"The awards were announced on September 1, 2008."

I see The Nation is on the ball again :whistling:

Some people must have nothing better to do than bring this old hat stuff to the forum, Stupid -are they on TAT payroll ?? and think no one would see the dated figures--and that is their figures.

To say also that it is so friendly-these travelers must by pass the airport = beach-BKK-tuk-tuks. of all the expensive and exclusive exotic destinations 4TH---I like it but they are not Holidaying in the normal sense of the word, to me the vote must have been on pre booked class style and guarded against the stuff you would normally encounter.

Just to add-if you are 4th best in the world you would be that popular that the place would be booked up 100%. not crying out for tourists as they are

Edited by ginjag

laugh.gif

Breaking news: Man lands on the moon.

Breaking news: The allies have won the war! Japan surrenders!

Could be TAT were waiting for a slow news day to feed this to the media - probably wouldn't have looked so good if they had tried to push this when the results were announced.....

"Renowned, Prestigious,Condo Nast Magazine"

Never heard of it! is this a Thai Travel Magazine?

Clearly its an incorrect font character and a Thai one was inserted so I have now corrected it.

Bit nitpicky and petty to pick on a thai font that gets inserted, but thats just my opinion.

"Renowned, Prestigious,Condo Nast Magazine"

Never heard of it! is this a Thai Travel Magazine?

Clearly its an incorrect font character and a Thai one was inserted so I have now corrected it.

Bit nitpicky and petty to pick on a thai font that gets inserted, but thats just my opinion.

Ok admin. And the excuse for a news flash dated 2008? Nitpicky too?

The people who post on this forum are most likely living in Thailand, so we can see the "cracks" in the "Land of Smiles" - angry, crooked tuk tuk drivers in Phuket; the dishonest touts waiting for their prey at the Grand Palace or Wat Pho in Bangkok; the dirty beach promenade along Beach Rd. in Pattaya, or the tourist elephant "camps" in Chaing Mai... but for a tourist who is picked up at the airport and is dropped off at their 4-5 star hotel and enjoys the short time they are vacationing in Thailand would most likely find it exotic and not encounter the negative aspects of the place (which any country has). All I know is when I leave Thailand and visit another country (including my own -USA) I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO happy to be back in LOS - the "cracks" seem to be forgiven.

The people who post on this forum are most likely living in Thailand, so we can see the "cracks" in the "Land of Smiles" - angry, crooked tuk tuk drivers in Phuket; the dishonest touts waiting for their prey at the Grand Palace or Wat Pho in Bangkok; the dirty beach promenade along Beach Rd. in Pattaya, or the tourist elephant "camps" in Chaing Mai... but for a tourist who is picked up at the airport and is dropped off at their 4-5 star hotel and enjoys the short time they are vacationing in Thailand would most likely find it exotic and not encounter the negative aspects of the place (which any country has). All I know is when I leave Thailand and visit another country (including my own -USA) I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO happy to be back in LOS - the "cracks" seem to be forgiven.

I'm so pleased you agree with my post, earlier, near the same wording changed a little--2 minds think alive,

laugh.gif

Breaking news: Man lands on the moon.

Breaking news: The allies have won the war! Japan surrenders!

<deleted> that is great news. Is it safe to go outside now?

From the wikipaedea article about the magazine.

Condé Nast Traveler is produced at Condé Nast's U.S. headquarters at 4 Times Square, New York, NY. The digital magazine resides at concierge.com, a part of Condé Nast Digital. Concierge.com does not adhere to the "Truth in Travel" policy, which forbids contributors from accepting complimentary accommodations, meals, or transportation. The magazine also has a Web presence at truth.travel, which was conceived, developed, and edited by Peter Kaplan during his second tenure at the magazine (2009-2010).

the poll that I'm sure was intended is here

The Readers' Travel Awards 2011

Countries

You like everything about this year's winner, Italy, but are seriously in love with its culture and food/restaurants. Elsewhere, you are convinced SouthAfrica has the most glorious scenery in the world and you are guaranteed the world's warmest welcome in India, while you decided that Turkey outdoes the competition for its value for money.

1 Italy

2 USA

3 Turkey

4 Thailand

5 France

6 India

7 Australia

8 South Africa

9 New Zealand

10 Greece

Islands

1 Greek Islands

and

10 Phuket

more

From the wikipaedea article about the magazine.

Condé Nast Traveler is produced at Condé Nast's U.S. headquarters at 4 Times Square, New York, NY. The digital magazine resides at concierge.com, a part of Condé Nast Digital. Concierge.com does not adhere to the "Truth in Travel" policy, which forbids contributors from accepting complimentary accommodations, meals, or transportation. The magazine also has a Web presence at truth.travel, which was conceived, developed, and edited by Peter Kaplan during his second tenure at the magazine (2009-2010).

And then one has to keep in mind that these in-magazine surveys derive from readership/subscribers only.

Like any such poll or survey....they need to be taken with a grain of salt.

Thailand is top of the list when it comes to 'Most Dangerous Tourism Destination' for Britons.

Yeah but did you see what the number one cause of death is? Riding motorcycles. While pissed biggrin.gif

The problem is you Brits drive on the wrong side of the road and keep hitting oncoming traffic!

Thailand is top of the list when it comes to 'Most Dangerous Tourism Destination' for Britons.

Yeah but did you see what the number one cause of death is? Riding motorcycles. While pissed biggrin.gif

The problem is you Brits drive on the wrong side of the road and keep hitting oncoming traffic!

Uh... how do you get around in Thailand? Helicopter? :lol:

... but for a tourist who is picked up at the airport and is dropped off at their 4-5 star hotel and enjoys the short time they are vacationing in Thailand would most likely find it exotic and not encounter the negative aspects of the place (which any country has). All I know is when I leave Thailand and visit another country (including my own -USA) I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO happy to be back in LOS - the "cracks" seem to be forgiven.

Yep, those rose colored glasses are worth their weight in gold it seems. :whistling: